- Text Size +

She closed the window on the top of the pillowslip, and he looked up at her locking the window from the inside. Then she turned and walked away. He ran along the window ledge, and saw her standing on the far side of the room.

She waved adorably at him. It was a thrilling gesture at least. He slid down the pillowslip and ran into the undergrowth.

In less than half a minute, Colleen stepped out of the house, onto a path and headed in his direction. He used the larger plants for cover, and kept running.

He eluded her until he came to the lawn, and was delighted at what he saw on the other side. There was another hammock. Its legs met at the top, which almost touched the fence which separated her property from the open hillside. There were several holes for bolts all the way up the legs, holes which hadn’t been used, he remembered in the hammock he had been riding on in her hand the day before. Maybe there would be in this one too.

He had to cross the lawn, climb the holes like a ladder, and get onto the fence. Maybe then he could find something on the other side to aid his safe descent to the village.

Running straight across the lawn was out of the question. She would bridge the distance in a matter of seconds. He ran to the nearest flowerbed, and darted between flowers, heading for the next pathway.

He managed to stay out of sight, while Colleen continued searching garden beds in vain for him, until he finally reached the second hammock. He started climbing the hammock on the outside of the leg.

He was almost at the top, when he saw Colleen stand up and stretch her arms. He made it to the top, while she was not looking his way, and lay down flat on the top. He saw Colleen look around the garden, and then walk over to his hammock and sit down on it.

She looked out at the garden.

“I think this is a comfortable vantage point,” she said, “You’ve had me ferreting around in my plants for quite a while. It occurs to me, that you need to head in this direction, away from the house, to get away from me altogether. I doubt you’ll be able to do that without me spotting you from here eventually. But let’s continue as we are.”

Her body looked even more arousing in the night dress than it had looked on the other hammock in her laboratory clothes the day before.

He turned around and looked at the top of the fence. It was almost touching the hammock. He could easily take a running sideways jump and reach it. However, there was nothing to convey him to the ground on the other side.

He looked all around the hillside. A lemon tree reached the top of the fence.

If he could walk along the fence, he’d make it to the tree and climb down to the ground. He couldn’t do it until Colleen had given up and gone inside, or at least gone back on all fours to resume her search of the gardens. Otherwise she would see him before he could get to the lemon tree.