- Text Size +

“She’s invented an amazing machine!” said Edith, “You’d better hide those now tiny pieces of furniture in the cupboard, or she might guess that someone’s been in here.”

Connor picked up the miniaturized chair and desk and walked over to a cupboard, put the furniture in, and pushed it to the back, and then slid some beakers and stands in front them to hide them. He turned to see Edith pointing the device in his direction.

He stepped to one side

Edith moved her hand, so that the device was pointing in his direction again.

“It’s probably better if we don’t fool around with that thing,” said Connor, “Imagine what could happen to me if you accidentally pressed that switch, while it was pointing this way.”

“I’m more interested in what could happen to you if I deliberately pressed it,” said Edith, smiling.

“Hey, I came along to win you over, and I like the fun of sneaking in here, but let’s not get carried away.”

“I think you’ll be carried away in my coat pocket soon enough. I do have a boyfriend, remember, but you’d go down my throat smoothly and whole, if you were the size of that little chair you just put away.”

He couldn’t believe it.

He started running towards her, ready to reach out and snatch the device. Edith pressed the switch and smiled with great amusement as he dwindled down to tiny size. She knelt down and picked him up, with her laughing eyes beaming down at him, lifted him up and held him right in front of her big lips and perfect smiling teeth.

“Edith, please make me big again. You can be happy with your boyfriend, and at least I might have a chance with someone else one day.”

“I can be happy with my boyfriend anyway, and he’ll never know how much fun I’m going to have with you after all,” said Edith, “I think we’re out of time.”

She slipped him into her coat pocket, put the machine back into Colleen’s handbag and zipped it up, opened the science classroom door from the inside, reset the lock, stepped out and pulled it shut and walked to the students’ staircase.

Colleen soon came up the staff staircase, entered the room and collected her bag and locked and left the room. She was halfway down the hall, when she turned around and came back and had a good look at the room. There was a chair and a desk missing.

She went to the cupboards, took out some powder and a small brush and then managed to take her device out of her handbag, without touching the places it was usually held by. She dusted them and found a mixture of her own fingerprints and someone else’s. She searched every cupboard in the room and eventually found the reduced chair and desk. Then she checked the windows and found that one had not been locked properly.

She knew that someone had set the classroom up, so that they could sneak in after school, and that someone had taken the machine out of her bag and used it on the furniture and then tried to cover their tracks. From now on, she would check that all of the windows were locked before leaving the room, and she would always carry her bag with her.