- Text Size +

Kristin Dalton was, without mincing words, meek. Though she stood at a rather imposing 6’1”, this impressive stature did not give her confidence. It had rather the opposite effect, actually, making her the object of scorn and mockery from her classmates as she was growing up, and making her virtually undateable for any guy under 6’3”. As a result of being derided by women and ignored by men for most of her life, she had developed a rather quiet disposition, and it was rare that she made many friends. 

Kelly and Brooke, in her mind, qualified as friends. They had gone to college together at Burton and were roughly the same age, having been in a few classes together. They both happened to find apartments in the same building on the edge of downtown, and Kristin made sure that her apartment was just down the hall from theirs, in case they ever wanted to hang out. In truth, Kelly and Brooke never particularly wanted to hang out with Kristin. It’s not that they disliked her or were mean in any way to her; she simply wasn’t their type, and so it was often up to Kristin to initiate any group activities whenever she could muster the gumption to leave her apartment and walk down the hall. 

Today was one of those days. Kristin, bored stiff lounging around her apartment on her day off, had waited until she knew both Kelly and Brooke would be home from work, and then proceeded nervously down the hall, hoping they would want to hang out. She was dressed casually, wearing a light green t-shirt and blue jeans, which hung loosely on her slight frame. She was tall and skinny, and if that weren’t awkward enough, she had huge feet. Not distractingly large, mind you, but just enough so that it was embarrassing to go shoe shopping. Normally, she was very self-conscious about her feet, but since Kelly and Brooke were her friends, she didn’t feel the need to cover them up just to walk down the hall, and so the undersides of her feet slapped gently against the surface of light blue flipflops as she anxiously traipsed down the hall. 

Arriving at the door, she listened momentarily for any signs of life from inside the apartment. Hearing none, she knocked softly, and humbly ventured a “Hello? Is anyone home?” 

Inside the apartment, Kelly and Brooke were still recovering from their wild and impetuous sexual romp. The stillness of their breathing was shattered by Kristin’s interruption. Kelly, instantly recognizing the voice, rolled her eyes in frustration and looked up at Brooke standing over her. She moved her finger to her lips, gesturing to Brooke to be quiet in the hopes that Kristin would go away and leave them to their fun. 

Brooke, however, had been struck by a sudden and very rare moment of inspiration: she had an idea. Over Kelly’s objections, Brooke shouted, “Hold on! I’m in the bathroom. Be there in a minute!” Kelly was upset by her roommate’s response, but saw the playful gleam in her eye, and decided to indulge whatever harebrained notion had struck her fancy. 

Brooke looked at Kelly and motioned at the city, gesturing that they should pick it up. Kelly played along, and they stood on either side of the city and ever so delicately lifted it from its perch on the kitchen table. Following Brooke’s lead, they set it down on the floor. Kelly now understood what Brooke was after, and was just as excited as she was. Directly in front of the door, there was a small entryway where guests could step in and remove their shoes before entering the main living space of the apartment. The city was too large to fit into this entryway, so instead they set it down on the kitchen floor right in front of the entryway. Having placed the city right where they wanted it, they ducked into an adjacent room so they could watch. Remembering that she had not locked the door behind her, Brooke yelled, “Come in! Door’s open!”