- Text Size +

Light streamed in onto thousands of terrified and bewildered people for the first time in days. Millions more were still left in darkness, but those closest to the shoreline were witness to the jagged rending of a part of their sky as light flooded into a small corner of the city. No one knew precisely what had brought all of them to their current state. One moment, it was a bright sunny day, and everyone was busily and drearily attending to their business as usual. The next moment: darkness. And now, days later, someone was beginning to shed some light on their predicament, so to speak.

Thousands looked to the sky curiously, expecting that someone somewhere would be able to answer all the unarticulated questions flitting around their minds at the moment. What they saw only raised more questions.

Many saw a shadow move to fill the void as quickly as it had been created. Accounting for the relative distance, size, and pecularity of what was before them, it is easy to see why so many failed to recognize it. Most of them could not understand what their eyes were telling them. The more perceptive simply refused to believe it.

It was an eye. An enormous, all-seeing eye, thousands of feet tall. It blinked once, sending shudders through those that recognized it. Then, as quickly and mysteriously as it appeared, it was gone.

The mystified populace now looked around at each other hoping that those beside them had some great insight into what they had just witnessed. But before any conversation could progress much, light began streaming in all over the city as huge swaths of the sky were torn apart and allowed light to once more wash across the surface of the city, until at last the darkness was gone.

As Kelly peeked into the open corner of the package, she was thrilled by the wonderful things she saw. In front of her was a sand-covered beach, and stretching behind it was a bustling metropolis, complete with dozens of minuscule skyscrapers. She heedlessly tore the rest of the brown paper covering away from the city, until at last it lay before her, completely unwrapped. There was a thin glass covering over the entire parcel, probably to keep it from being damaged while shipped, which she dispatched with equal facility, removing the last barrier between her and the city.

It was positively pristine. There were skyscrapers and highways all throughout, all of them completely realistic and untouched. The city itself was roughly in the shape of a square, 5 feet on either side, making the whole thing cover about 25 square feet. It had been somewhat unwieldy to carry, and only barely fit on the kitchen table, but in her haste she had hardly noticed these minor inconveniences, and indeed even if she had noticed them she wouldn't have cared, so overwhelming was her desire to explore.

She slowly paced around the table, absorbing all the details of the city. Every footstep on the tile floor echoed up to the ears of the people in the city, and instilled in them a well-placed sense of doom. They were all cognitively aware of what exactly they were looking at, but few were able to process it, and fewer still were able to appreciate how truly tiny they were to her.

She gazed down at the town as she walked around it, noting the various distinct neighborhoods. Here a park, there a residential neighborhood, here a few suburbs, there a few factories. The part that intrigued her the most was right near where she had started, and as she completed her first full circle, she leaned over to get a better view of the area. It was a beachfront shoreline, which had clearly at one time butted up against an ocean. A highway ran alongside the beach, and behind the highway was downtown. Dozens of skyscrapers checkered this area, but none of them were very impressive to Kelly. As she leaned in closely, she attempted to gauge how tall she would be to these people (if they even were people). Their tallest skyscraper was about 100 stories by her reckoning, making it a little over a thousand feet tall. To her, however, it was only half an inch. Doing some quick mental math (she was, after all, a college graduate), that made her.....25 miles tall.

The sudden realization of her full enormousness made her gasp, causing her to unwittingly inhale thousands of helpless onlookers scattered about downtown. Most went straight down her throat into her lungs, but hundreds fell short and landed on her tongue or were stuck to her plush lips. She reacted unthinkingly by licking her lips to remove the slight irritation caused by the hundreds of specks stuck to them, thus capturing and drawing into her mouth hundreds of people before swallowing them.

She grinned at the power she had over these people, such that even the most slight and accidental of her actions had been havoc to them. This grin was not her typical and pleasant, eyecatching smile. It was something more sinister, and the terrified populace below didn't have to struggle to read her ill intentions.

Now she cast her gaze over the city, trying to decide if the specks she had just swallowed were people in any real sense. This internal debate gave way to her overriding lust, and she licked her lips while she tried to decide what to do first. She really should wait for Brooke to come home, but she had no idea how soon that would be, and surely Brooke wouldn't mind if she decided to play with her new toy a little early. She came to an internal compromise, making up her mind to do only minimal damage to the city before Brooke got home and they could enjoy it together. Having decided to go ahead, she licked her lips again, this time unconsciously, and populace below was not unaware.

Then, she stuck out her tongue, and with a slow and deliberate swipe, licked the city.