- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

A aging socialite orders what he thinks is a robot vacum but gets something else.

*Warning: it gets political at the end*


Craig Wilson heard the sound of his door bell ringing.
“Finally” he said to himself. Craig made his way down the stairs to the great hall. He opened the door and managed to a glimpse of a delivery copter off into the sky. He looked down on the front mat and saw a rectangular brown box no bigger then a foot and half in length.


“I didn’t know these things came shaped like this as well” he said and took the box inside. As he made his way to the living room he heard a noise coming from the box. It was the sound of something rustling about. Craig figured it was just the contents of the box shifting but that’s until heard another sound that was distinctly human. It sounded like a simple hum or a groan. He quickly placed the box on the living room’s coffee table and opened it up. He was shocked to find what looked like a beautiful, voluptuous blond woman no more then fifteen inches tall wearing a black and white maid outfit in the box. The being appeared to sleeping and was moving around adjusting for comfort and was remarkably human looking, not looking a doll but seeming to have human skin. He reached down with his index finger and touched the beings head. The woman’s eyes sprung open and she sat up. Craig recoiled in shock.


“Hello” said the small woman as she stood up.
Craig was speechless. The woman then took notice of Craig’s bald scalp.
“Wow, you must be old” she said.
“I’m only 52!” Craig fired back angrily.
“Oh, I’m very sorry” said the woman.
“Ok” sighed Craig “Who are you?”
“I’m your own model 42 service android, you may call me Kelly”
“Service android?” Craig asked.
“That is correct”
“Isn’t your height going to be a problem?”
“No” replied the android “I am equipped with a subspace matter shifter”
“Okay” he said “I don’t what that is. I thought I was going to get one of those little robot vacuums. Oh well, you’ll just have to do.” He picked up Kelly and placed her down on the floor.
“Thank you” she said.
“Follow me” he said. The two of them made their way to the main staircase.
“You need any help getting up the stairs?” he asked her.
“No” Kelly replied. Suddenly a light blue aura began to engulf her and then she began to grow. The five ft four Craig stepped back and watched as Kelly grew to six ft in height.


“How the hell did you do that?”
“I told you before” said Kelly “I’m equipped with a subspace matter shifter”
“So why didn’t you just come like this?”
“It has something to do with being presentable apparently” replied Kelly as they continued up the stairs.
“Plus” she said “I really hate being small. It just makes feel so helpless and worthless”
“I see” replied Craig. They reached the top of the stairs and turned to the first door on the right. Craig opened the door and they stepped into medium sized bathroom. While it wasn’t a total pig sty the bathtub and sink were not exactly looking pristine condition and the floor was dirty.


“Why aren’t you telling me to clean the whole house?” Kelly asked.
“I just want to see what your capable of” said Craig “Do you need anything?”
“No” she replied. She moved her arms down to her legs were two compartments in her legs opened up and she drew a duster from her right leg and placed it on the in and removed several small metal polls and connected them into a mop.
“Ok” said Craig “Do your thing” and exited the bathroom.
As walked down the stairs he started thinking about Kelly. All the androids he used to encounter were nothing more then sad imitations of people. They looked like people but they always had emotionless monotone voice but Kelly was nearly indistinguishable from people (even though he hasn’t been around any one else in months). He reached the bottom of the stairs and was about to head back to the living room when Kelly’s voice suddenly rang.
“Finished!” she chirped. Craig rushed back up the stairs and went into the bathroom. The entire room was virtually spotless.


“Nice” said Craig.
“Thank you” replied Kelly. “What now?”
“Clean the house, if you please” said Craig. Kelly nodded her head and went down the stairs. Craig smiled and went into his room.
“Remarkable girl” he said “Getting her might have been the best thing I’ve done” he then shook his head at how wrong that sounded sat down in his love seat and picked up the newspaper. He turned the business section and scanned it until a came across a headline that read “Wilson Industries stock up by 51%” I guess it never needed me to begin with he thought to himself. He then began to here a series of taps coming from the roof of the mansion. He got up from his chair and opened his bedroom door.


“Kelly?” he called out.
“Yes?” Kelly replied. Craig was surprised by the fact that Kelly’s voice was coming from behind him. He turned around fast and saw Kelly’s face behind his bedroom window this wouldn’t be as big a shock to Craig if Kelly’s face wasn’t obscenely large. He rushed to the window and threw it open. He gawked at Kelly’s 50 ft figure.
“What the hell are you doing?” he snapped.
“Cleaning the house” replied Kelly.
“This isn’t what I meant” cried Craig “Now get back in the house be” before Craig could finish a car was driving up the deserted highway.
“Shit!” Craig cried “Hide before you attract more attention here”. Kelly ran behind the house.
“Nice move” Craig murmured sarcastically. He ran down the stairs and out the front door to the intruder’s vehicle. A 30 year old, slightly well built blond haired man stepped out of the car.
“What are you doing here?” he snapped at the trespasser.
“Hey, listen” said the intruder “I was just cruising by and I see a”
“You didn’t see anything” snapped Craig.
“Now wait here” the intruder fired back. “I saw a giant ma”
“Go away” Craig yelled. Kelly peered out from behind the house. She was surprised by Craigs temper. He seemed to be someone who really wanted to be left alone but then she wondered if that was the case then why didn’t she get kicked out? Eventfully the intruder got back in his car and drove away while Craig marched back into his mansion. Kelly walked over to Craig’s bedroom window and watched him walk into the room.


“What is it?” Craig sighed.
“Why did you act that way toward that man? Why did you get angry at him?”
“The answer is easy Kelly; I hate people, plain and simple. I haven’t walked out side my own yard in fifteen months”
“Why?” Kelly asked. Craig held up the business section of his newspaper and pointed the headline that mentioned Wilson Industries.
“My dad company” began Craig. “It was big technological research firm. After he died I pretty much inherited it. The company did research in every major technological endeavor from robotics to planetary colonization. Then we were asked by the military to create this antimatter core. Our idea was that it would successfully replace oil and become a brand new energy resource. So we made it and the military took it but they put it to different use and you know what they did?”
“What?” Kelly asked.
“They used to make bomb and you know what they did with it?”
Kelly didn’t like were this was going but she shook her head out of curiosity.
“They used it to end all conflict in the Middle East by turning it into a glorified demilitarized zone. But hey at least the USA now has ten new states and we share a demilitarized zone with Israel. That’s the reason. I participated in histories greatest mass slaughter and the army covered it. So I decided to take matters into my own hands. I went to the press and told everyone and here’s the kicker, no one gave a shit. In fact they were kind of satisfied I participated in this so I quit being head of the company and came back here”


“That’s awful” said Kelly.
“So that’s why I had this idea, I want you to kill me” Kelly recoiled in horror.
“Come on” said Craig “Your looking at a mass murderer”
“You’re not a murderer” said Kelly.
“Just kill me!” Craig yelled.
“No!” snapped Kelly.
“Let me guess” said Craig “You’re not programmed to kill”
“No” said Kelly “I just don’t want to harm anyone”
“Drop the bullshit and kill me, KILL ME!” he screamed “KILL ME!” Craig broke down into tears and collapsed to the ground. Kelly stuck her hand through the window picked out Craig. She then held the pitiful man in her arms.
“Don’t worry” she said “It wasn’t your fault it was never your fault” Craig eventfully stopped crying and started reflecting on the fact that of all the people he encountered Kelly was somehow the most human of them all.