- Text Size +
Once a boy of 13, with a wandering mind (and the name he was given of Lester),
Found an amulet, while he was walking the woods, near the end of his second semester.
When he read its inscription aloud, he was taken to huge flowerbeds in a courtyard.
He took note of the size of the flowers anad old fashioned towering palace, and thought hard.

This great garden and buildings were clearly for giants, who lived in their own frame of reference.
He imagined a world, where he might be the giant, but this place was young Lester’s preference.
He was met in the garden by one giant princess named Ambloome, who quickly acquainted
Both herself and her mother Queen Nonvor with him; and a picture of friendship was painted.

He was only as tall as their fingers, and found that his amulet also transported
Him to earth, when he read the inscription in their world; but none of those things were reported.
He would visit Ambloome, every chance that was given, and tuned out of after school sport scene.
Then he soon found that he was in love for the first time, before he had even turned 14.

Then her palace was raided by flying Fire Fairies of Lester’s own size, who surrounded
Their own bodies with flames, which could burn any weapon; while Lester and giants were grounded.
Then the Queen sent the visiting Lester back home, so she wasn’t concerned with protecting
Such a tiny good friend from a powerful foe with persistence they’d not been expecting.

Then the Fairies continued their onslaught, in search of the jewels in the giant queen’s palace.
They had never invaded the kingdom before, and the giants were caught by their malice.
When they finally threatened the princess with death by inferno, some sprays of cold water
Hit the Fairies, extinguished their flames, and made them a prime target for Nonvor’s young daughter.

Ambloome caught them in butterfly nets, when she realized that they had been willing to trifle
With her friend, who’d come back from a toy store on earth with a loaded high powered water rifle,
And a spare, which he gave to Nonvor, to refill, while he gave all the Fairies a shower.
Lester kept swapping guns with the queen, until all the Fire Fairies had lost their fire power.

Then the queen chained the Fairies and made each do penance, for one month, as one lady’s necklace;
And construction began on some giant water pistols in case any Fairy was reckless.
To bestow all her thanks on the small boy who saved her, Ambloome then revealed her affection,
With some kisses (his first), and the amulet showed both their smiles in a glowing reflection.

For some years they were close. Then he made his decision to move out of his world forever.
So he said to Ambloome, “If you give me your great hand in marriage, then I shall endeavour
To become the best husband; though next time I might be the one with small size, who needs saving.”
She accepted, since she had recalled their first meeting had given her just the same craving.