- Text Size +

I walked out of class that day not paying much attention to where I was going. All that was on my mind was that it was Friday, and I was done with classes for the week. Per usual I had been the last one out of class; a combination of having nowhere to go afterward and where I had been sitting. As I stepped into the stairwell that lead out of the building I nearly bumped directly into two of my classmates.

I had spoken to them a few times, even been to a party at one of their houses off-campus, but I didn't really know them terribly well. Which is why I was surprised when after nearly knocking them over, one of them said, “Oh hey Matt, I was wondering if you could help us with something.” She smiled at me, and brushed back her long curly brown hair.

“Uh, sure, what?” I asked, somewhat surprised. It's not like these girls were way out of my league or something, it's just that we ran in somewhat different circles. I wasn't expecting them to know my name or anything.

“Just an experiment,” the other one, Katie I think her name was, said.

“Alright, what is it like one of those survey things?” I asked, it seemed like every other week some random classmate of mine needed people to fill out some survey for some psych course or something.

“Not really,” the first girl, Annie, said as she gently ran her fingers over me. I could swear I heard her murmuring something as she did. Then Katie placed her hand on my shoulder and shoved me.

I was a little bit surprised when I fell backwards, both girls were my height maybe an inch or two shorter but I couldn't say I had been expecting them to be able to knock me down. After all, I might be a bit shorter than the average guy around our campus but I was stocky. Before I knew what was happening though they were standing over me, both smiling, and I laughed and said, “Alright, that was weird...”

As I stood up though I quickly realized that they didn't get any smaller. At first I thought I had just been looking up at them because they were standing over me, but now I realized they were literally towering over me. I stopped craning my neck to look at them and turned to look around me to discover that I was on the same level as their feet.

To my right Annie's boots stood still, and I could only stare at them as I realized they were easily twice as tall as me and they fell well short of her knees. On my left, Katie's frighteningly bright white sneakers stood gleaming in the light, and I could only gulp as she tapped her foot and it created small tremors in the ground.

“It worked,” Katie's voice boomed high above me.

Annie's laugh rolled like thunder in the air above me, “Awesome, I told you it would.”

“Hey,” I yelled up to them, jumping and waving my arms, “What did you do to me?”

“I think it wants something,” Katie said, gesturing down to me.

“Oh man, I bet it's really scared,” Annie replied as she started to bend down towards me. I could only pause in terror as her face loomed into view above me. Her deep brown eyes were carefully studying me and my movements as I unconsciously squirmed under her gaze. As I was about to speak and ask her why she had done this, her hand extended out towards me and one of her fingers flicked me in the chest. As I landed hard on the ground, I saw her rising up to her normal height as she said, “The women are talking, don't interrupt.”

I rubbed my chest, carefully touching it to ensure nothing had broken. I winced as I pushed down on my chest, nothing was broken, but just a simple flick of her finger was going to leave a rather large bruise. I heard Katie laughing high above me as she said, “So tonight, I should get there around what eight?”

“Oh yeah, maybe seven thirty?” Annie responded as Katie raised her foot and I watched her step over me. I realized she wasn't even conscious that she had stepped over me, to her I was so small that I didn't even register as an object in her path. As her foot landed the whole ground quaked and I could barely hear Annie say, “Just give me a call when you're heading over.”

“Sure,” Katie's voice boomed as she then jogged down the steps. I found myself curling into a ball as each of what to her were light steps, as she barely touched the stairs, shook my entire world for a solid few seconds.

I slowly uncurled as I noticed myself engulfed in shadow once more. I stared up into Annie's smiling face, as I looked up at her I could swear each of her dazzling white teeth was the size of my arm. She was squatting over me, her hands easily within reach of me as I slowly stood up. Annie just continued to watch me, slowly she started tapping her booted feet upon the ground, each light tap causing the ground to shake and me to lose my balance. She laughed at me as she extended her hand and scooped me up. I wriggled against her grip as she raised me above the floor, until she squeezed a little bit harder and I felt all of the air squeeze out of my lungs. “No squirming, little guy,” she said, as she rose back to her full height.

As she rose I felt like my stomach had been left all the way back down on the ground. It was like one of those amusement park rides where you shoot up really fast. As I looked over the tanned skin of her hand, I hoped that this wouldn't continue to be like those rides and she would suddenly drop me. “Now,” she said as she held me slightly below face level, “I'm going to put you in my pocket, so don't go squirming around, or else you'll fall out, alright little guy?” I nodded, fearing why she was putting me in her coat pocket, where was she going to take me? I wondered as she lifted the flap of her coat pocket and dropped me in. She took a moment to adjust my position with her hand so I was laying in it like I would a hammock. It wasn't a very deep pocket, and I quickly realized that this was the only way I was going to stay in it without coming out. I tried to rearrange myself slightly, but then her hand came back in, gripped me and placed me back how she had stuck me in. Her voice boomed above me, “No, no, just stay put.”

She then started to walk, which I quickly realized was not going to be very pleasant for me. She left her jacket unbuttoned, and so it battered back and forth as her legs moved and her hips swung. I was constantly swaying back and forth, bumping into her hip bone and then swinging out into the open air. My stomach started to feel queasy after what seemed like a few minutes, though I quickly realized I had no idea how much time was passing as I gently swayed back and forth between her hip and the air.