- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

I think this story is getting to be more and more inspired by minuss' Cities in the Cellar story, a story that I enjoy quite a bit.  I just wanted to acknowledge that influence.  

Private messages between high-ranking clergy of the Aleis Borem Order approximately three hours after the arrival of the God, sent by direct neural interface with the City's internal private computer network
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
01:14, High Priestess Zheja Seb
WHAT THE FUCK JUST HAPPENED?
HP Sess Denel, 01:15 
I think our new Goddess just broke up with her boyfriend.  
Bishop Mela Beccres Tross, 01:16 
If this is anything like what we've seen on the television broadcasts involving young people and relationships ending abruptly, then the next few days may be very dangerous for us. She is likely very angry, or feeling any number of emotions, and who better to take out breakup-related stress on than the helpless city of millions?  Anticipate new acquaintaincehood with her body and all sorts of new pains to grow accustomed to.  At least we would know how the Old Goddess would react to this.  The new one is far too much of an emotional wildcard.  
HP Sess Denel, 01:17 
Has anyone seen the Mome?  Do we know where she is?  If shedied in the attack, she should have regenerated by now, but her vat is showing no signs of activity.HP Eros Demms, 01:17 Maybe she isn't dead? Maybe she's trapped under rubble at the Temple, or stuck to the Goddess' body?
HP Zheja Seb, 01:18 
Or the God's.
HP Sess Denel, 01:18
There's a scary thought.  At any rate, she certainly can't be gone for too long.  Her mind will be returned to us when she dies, and she can always commit suicide if she gets into too much trouble.  We will have her back.
Bishop Mela Beccres Tross, 01:21 
We have other concerns throughout the City.  The men are rising up against the women, saying that the existence of a giant man capable of having such a tremendous impact on our Goddess is proof that men are our equals or betters.  They are marching through the streets, hundreds of thousands of them.  Riot police are being deployed, but if the entire male population rebels, there will be no way to stop them.  
HP Zheja Seb, 01:25 
I hear shouting from the street outside my Temple...male voices...I don't know what's going o-THIS IS THE CITY'S CENTRAL ARTIFICIAL INTELLIGENCE UNIT.  I AM CONTACTING ALL MEMBERS OF THE ALEIS BOREM ORDER IN ORDER TO ISSUE A DIRECT WARNING. HIGH PRIESTESS ZHEJA SEB WAS KILLED BY THE MOB OF MALE RADICALS STORMING THE CITY.  THE CITY'S CENTRAL AI RECOMMENDS ALL CLERGY EVACUATE TO SAFE ZONES BENEATH THE HIGH TEMPLE.
HP Sess Denel, 01:30 
Is anyone still online?  
HP Sess Denel, 01:35 
The males are approaching my temple.  If anyone gets this message please send help.  I am in Temple Aeros Kres-TRANSMISSION TERMINATES.  

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sess Denel was pulled out of her network creche.  The sudden jolt from the simulated world of the City's computer network into the real world could be tough when the mind-machine connection wasn't broken unexpectedly.  Being yanked out was enough to make her nauseous.  The strong hands grabbing her shoulders threw her to the ground.  She could hear laughter and shouting and angry words all around her.  Deep voices.  Not female.   Men.   Men had broken into the Sacred Core of her temple.  From there, they could access the City's computer systems, learn all the secrets of the Order, of the greater Church, learn that the religion that had formed in the City was based entirely on lies and fabrications. If that information got out, then not only the men, but the women would revolt against the social order.  That could not be allowed.   Sess fought the urge to vomit.  Colors shifted in and out of existence before her.  It wasn't healthy to be pulled out of a link like that.  People could die.  People had died.  And some of them hadn't come back to life.  The mind-uploading technology in their heads seemed to be disrupted when a link was broken suddenly.   Two men shoved her to the ground, and she lost her battle with nausea.  Her stomach emptied itself on the floor in front of her, covering a few men's feet in whatever she had eaten for dinner.  The crowd made noises of disgust at her, then started to close in. Just as Sess started to wonder how she could ever get out of this awful mess, the Goddess rolled over in her sleep.  Her enormous body turned slowly, the moonlight falling on her hair, and one of her breasts brushed up against the City.  Though it didn't strike Sess' temple directly, it touched close enough to it to knock it over in the aftershock. Before she knew what was happening, Sess felt the roof hit her.  Screams emanated from the crowd of men as they were all crushed to death by the collapsing building.  Sess felt something strike her head and was knocked out cold.   Hours later, she came to. She was trapped under tons and tons of construction material, slowly bleeding out.  She could see through the hole in the roof the enormous face of the Goddess, her eyes slowly blinking open after a good night's sleep.  The last thing Sess saw before she finally succumbed to death was the look of animalistic hunger in the New Goddess' eyes as she contemplated the City for the first time that day.

Chapter End Notes:

More GTS action to come, probably in the next chapter.