- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
I started the first chapter out slowly.

Star Fox team is taking a breather. Having just assisted the Katina defense force in repelling an attack from a rebel faction all of them are a bit tired.

“That was a breeze.” Falco says dismissively. “I could’ve done that in my sleep!”

“Easy for you to say, I had more than my share of trouble.” Krystal replies.

“Don’t I know it?” The bird chuckles. “Help, I’ve go an enemy on my tail” He squeals in a high-pitched voice.

“Stop it!”

“Fearless leader likes bailing you out though, so I guess you’re lucky.”

“Give it a rest.” Slippy says tiredly. “She’s new…”

“You’re right, Slip. Everybody can’t be the Ace pilot.”

The toad smacks his forehead. “Why’d the General ever call you that?” He shakes his head, exasperated.

“Because I’m the best, that’s why!” The Ace replies with a swagger. “What would you do without me?” He turns to exit. He stumbles and nearly falls. “Hey!”

“Don’t break your beak, Ace!” Slippy laughs.

Krystal hastily conceals her staff behind her back. “Do watch your step!” She adds.

“Amateurs…” The A-1 airman mutters, stalking out.

“Anyway, good job team.” Fox says to them all. “Another mission accomplished.”

“Yes, indeed.” Peppy chimes in. “You all do well by the Star Fox name. The leader of Katina also sends his thanks. The large screen in the center of the bridge comes to life as he puts the transmission through. A snake in ceremonial robes is displayed.

“Very well done, Ssstar Foxx.” The Katina prime minister says. “With your help our defense force easily repelled the insssurgent offensive. I look forward to working with you in the future.” The screen flickers blue and displays the money acquired. Everyone’s smile goes down a few watts as the monitor flickers off.

“That was less than I thought it would be.” Peppy thinks, checking the computer account. “We might not have turned a profit this time around.”

“I’ll barely fix Krystal’s Arwing with that!” Slippy realizes. “And what about the rest of our aircraft?”

Falco comes strolling back in. “My baby’s in tip-top shape, no scratches, nothing!’ He looks around. “What’s with the long faces?”

Krystal then voices what everyone’s thinking. “But that wasn’t very much money at all…”

Immediately Falco’s face joins the frown brigade. “How much are we talking? That job had better have been at least-” Slippy bursts out with it and the Ace’s beak drops open. “I can’t even re-detail her with that!”

“And with maintenance to Great Fox and aircraft repairs I don’t think anyone’s doing anything much.” Peppy reminds them.

“Aircraft repair?” Falco looks at Krystal and snorts. “Aircraft repair? What’s it take to keep a dime around here?”

“Falco-” Fox is annoyed at Falco’s comment.

“No, I take that back. It isn’t her fault. What kind of mission doesn’t cover the costs of you showing up? I knew that snake’d cheat us! That low-down, dirty, rotten-”

“You win some, you lose some.” Peppy mentions. “What can I say?”

Falco looks at the old pilot and contemplates for a second. “How about this?” He clears his throat. “We are in dire need of assissstance.” The bird says, mocking the Katina leader. “You will be compenssated well for your ssservicess.”

“That’s enough!” Fox exclaims.

“So, what are we, a charity? Star Wolf’s taking all the decent jobs so what now?”

“They’ve only got three members!” The leader retorts. “Get real!”

“Maybe there’s only room for three here, too!” The raptor yells back, stalking off. Silence falls over the room. Shortly after that, slip no.2 opens and his ship takes flight.

“We could use less overhead, that’s for sure.” Peppy says to himself, looking at the figures. “Gonna have to come up with something soon, too.”

Slippy throws his hands up and shakes his head. “Never thought I’d see the day I’d agree with the bird brain.” He mumbles.

“Slippy?” Fox asks. “Are you alright?”

“Back with you in a little bit. Arwings don’t fix themselves…” The toad sighs. “A mechanic’s work is never done.” He walks off.

“Fox?” Krystal sounds worried. “Is he really-”

“Let him. He’s done it before.” Team leader replies derisively. “It’s his choice.” He watches Falco leave through the window.

“But I didn’t mean to…I’ll do better…” She finishes weakly.

“Don’t worry.” Peppy says absently. “Those two just need some time to cool down. It isn’t the first time Fox and Falco have sparked off.”

“But like this?” The telepath still sounds apprehensive. “I don’t want them arguing about me…”

“It’s not your fault. It isn’t often they see eye to eye on anything. Falco didn’t want to do this job to begin with and it turning out like this an argument was bound to happen. It’s the way things are.”

“So Falco will return?” She asks hopefully.

“Likely. There’s always the chance he’ll disappear again but he probably won’t. Right now he just needs some space is all.”

“I can’t help but feel like I caused this…”

“You didn’t help much today.” Krystal’s face falls. “But we’ve had some pretty serious budget problems brewing for quite some time. Something was going to have to be done regardless of what happened today. I’ve got some ideas though so don’t worry.” Peppy smiles and taps his head. “My mind’s still sharp.” The monitor flashes. “Looks like we’ve got another incoming message.”

“Let’s hear it.” Fox says, still staring out of the window.

The widescreen flashes to life. “Star Fox team, I’ve got a job for you.”

“What do you need, General Pepper?” Peppy asks.

“The queen of Sauria has requested that you come by and patrol. She wants to be sure that all is still well. She has offered a fair sum in return.”

“I’ll consider it.” Fox says, at length. “We are still recovering from our engagement on Katina earlier.”

“I know. But I suggest you get back to me soon. Otherwise, though she requested you in particular, I’ll have to send Wolf and his team.”

“Understood. Fox out.” The display goes black.

“Fox, I think you should go on and do it.” Peppy suggests.

“We work as a team. Krystal’s Arwing is still in need of major repair and Falco is absent.”

“Come on, it’s not that serious! You’ve got us here in Great Fox if you need something. I’m sure all she wants is a foot patrol around her personal territory not a planetary sweep.”

“No, we wait.”

“It’s not wartime, Fox! Do you want Wolf to net this one, too?” The boss shoots him a hard look.

“I would like to go visit.” Krystal says, offhandedly. “It has been a little while since I’ve been to Sauria. We could go together, Fox.”

“Well…”

“It won’t take any time at all.”

“Every little bit helps.” Peppy chimes in.

“…alright.” Fox says, reluctantly. “Get the General back on the line. We’ll go.”
*********************************************************

On the planet’s surface Fox and Krystal are just touching down.

“Okay, we’re here.” Fox says, opening the cockpit. “Not too often I have to use the copilot’s seat.”

“You didn’t need to…” Krystal replies coyly. “You could’ve made room up front for me.”

“Err…well…” He stammers, climbing out of the ship.

“Oh, shh.” The telepath hops out of the Arwing gracefully. “I was only joking.” She gives him a peck on the cheek and smiles. “Don’t turn so many colors.”

Fox, who had the color drain from his face at her suggestion and return full force crimson the following second, shakes his head trying to regain lost composure. “Back to the matter at hand!” He says as authoritatively as possible. His partner giggles. “Let’s go see the Queen.” He walks away.

“Isn’t she the other way?” His subordinate points out.

The “leader” checks his compass reluctantly. “Right. Over here.” He says, turning about. “I knew that.”

“No, you didn’t.” She giggles again.

“How do you know? I was just testing to see if you were paying attention.”

Krystal taps her head. “I am a telepath you know.”

“Anyway, down to business, we should go meet with the Earthwalkers.” She nods and they begin to walk.

It isn’t long before they reach the center of the queen’s territory. The prince waits for them there, sitting around looking bored. He perks up on their approach.

“Hey guys! What’s up?” Tricky yells by way of greeting. “Long time no see!”

Fox nods. “We are here on business. Your mother has a request for us”

“Oh, yeah.” The royal heir doesn’t sound enthused. “She said there had been reports of Sharpclaw in the area. One or two maybe, I don’t know.”

“I am picking up on some strange vibrations around here.” Krystal says as an afterthought. “It would bear investigation.”

Fox rubs his chin, considering what’s been said. “Okay, let’s take care of them then.” He draws his blaster and checks to see that it’s in working order. “You alright over there?”

“Of course.” She replies. “You know what my staff is capable of.”

“I’d rather you carry a blaster…” He reminds her for the umpteenth time.

“So?”

Team leader shakes his head. “Anyway we should split up and cover more ground. I don’t think this should be difficult. A couple of stragglers aren’t real threats but should be taken care of.”

“Can I go, Fox?” Tricky begs. “It’ll be just like old times.”

“No, you’re too big for this. Those heavy steps’ll send ‘em running.”

“Aww! But it’s so boring! Come on, please?”

“No. It’ll take too long.”

“I’ll walk real quiet. Nobody’ll know I’m there. Please?”

“Alright, but if you cause a ruckus you’re going straight home!”

“That’s nice of you, Fox.” Krystal says. “Be careful, you two.”

“Tricky can take care of himself. He’s good to have around sometimes, I admit. But he’d better stay quiet.”

The young monarch nods. “I’ll lead the way.” Then they set off together.
*********************************************************

At the fork in the path the trio split up. Tricky had an idea of where some of them were so he took Fox down to the left side of a network of caves in the hills. Krystal walked over to the right side confident that her telepathic abilities would alert her to enemies.

“You be careful.” Fox says again. “We’re taking the lower area. If they hear us they’ll probably retreat your direction toward the caves and higher ground. But they are likely out hunting so we should get the drop on some of them.”

“Understood.” Krystal replies.

“Don’t hesitate to call for help, either. If I can’t we’ve got Slippy and-”

“Come on, Fox!” Tricky interjects. “She gets it!” The violet vixen smiles at him.

“She needs to know-”

“You’re worse than my mother, you know that?” The person in charge is at a loss for words, mouth agape. “Can we go now?” He nods and the duo walks off, noisily into the Saurian underbrush.

Krystal then turns her mind to the task at hand. Reaching out with her telepathy she scans the area. “Hmm, there are several hostile though patterns in the vicinity. But there’s an even stranger vibration over in this direction…” She heads for the caves nearby. She ventures deep into the cavern with naught but her staff for light. “This is one of those tunnels we cleared of the aparoids…” She says, remembering her last trip underground on this planet.

And it was true. The path was littered with remains of the mecha-organic enemies. The entire area remained oddly hushed as she continued on up the way with the strange sensation in her mind growing by the second. She reaches a clearing where several tunnels intersect and the pressure in her head reaches a new high. “What is this?” Krystal wonders.

But she can’t ponder too long. Preoccupied with figuring out the puzzle in her brain several of the enemy has retreated down the trail she had just taken and through the others as well, leaving her surrounded in the semi-dark by Sharpclaw warriors. “I should’ve been paying attention…”

Emboldened by the presence of allies an audacious reptile makes a bid at the female pilot with his axe. A parry and counterstrike by the staff is his reward. Enraged, he calls out to his brethren and they move to attack together. Just as suddenly the light from their lone opponent’s staff goes out. Surprised and disoriented her foes stop cold, unsure how to proceed.

In that window of opportunity Krystal goes on the offensive. Striking with swift precision she lights the room up and hits one foe with fireballs then lets darkness fall again. Not for long as a second enemy is struck repeatedly in the back and neck, felled by her crippling assault. A t the gleam of the telltale light the third is tripped then disarmed and dealt with by a hard blow to the midsection. The fourth opponent, who is absolutely terrified at this point, backs away. But the flash of her weapon appears right in front of him and he doesn’t even have time to gasp as she cracks him between the eyes with the pole hard enough to leave him with more than a concussion. The entire fight had taken less than one minute. “Was that all?” She scoffs. “That wasn’t much of a challenge.” The vibration in our heroine’s head has her attention again. She starts searching the room. Debris is everywhere but a certain pile draws her scrutiny. “This was one of the aparoid generators…”

Indeed it is. As one of the taller heaps of garbage in the place it stands out. Just going near it causes the vibration in Krystal’s skull to increase in pressure. Something about it seemed to almost call to her. This is why she found herself searching through the wreckage of the production device until she found the source of the psychic signal. At the very bottom of the ruined enemy creation machine was a small crystal. It glows a pale blue as she stares down at it. “What do we have, here?” She picks it up to examine it further.

As soon as Krystal does that she feels a tingle which is immediately followed by the noise increasing in volume so much that it becomes an intelligible voice. Dozens of them, talking all at once like the buzz in a school cafeteria. Pictures accompany the din and don’t make any sense, and the memories of the battles with the aparoids come rushing back as well. Fighting the queen while she attempts to swat them down, avoiding the tentacles, trying to destroy the annoying Arwings- “What in the world?” The telepath yelps, dropping the shard. “That’s not right.”

“Krystal!” Fox yells, from a tunnel. “Are you alright?” He comes bounding in. “…I guess you took care of it.”

“We just saw ‘em come up here.” Tricky pants, making a late entrance. “They must’ve heard us coming so we thought you might be- oh, I guess not.” He sees the defeated dinosaurs lying all around. “Good going!”

“What’s wrong? Are you injured? Krystal?”

The purple fox seems to be ignoring him. She’s still focused on the stone. Gone is its gleam; it looks just like tinted glass now. “Hmm?” She picks it up again. This time no voices or strange flashbacks. Nothing happens. “I know some-”

“Krystal!” Fox grabs her and shakes her a bit. “Can you hear me?”

“Yes!” The lady snaps out of her reverie. “You don’t need to yell.”

“What was with that? It was almost like you weren’t paying attention…”

“I’m fine.” She insists.

“Alright then.” He gestures to the room. “It looks like mission accomplished. We managed to track down one and with these other four I think that’s all of them. Let’s head back.”
*********************************************************

After giving the Queen Earthwalker a debriefing on mission events and her assurances that she will send the money the three compatriots are headed back to Fox’s Arwing. Riding atop their gracious host, he regales them with his version of the mission.

“…yeah, they were fast!” Tricky says for the umpteenth time. “I burst through the trees and they took off. Fox went after them but they had a big start on us and split up, too. He cornered one and wham! I slammed right into it. After that we went back to where we lost them. We were on the verge of picking a path when we heard you scream. Fox was off like a shot then and I couldn’t keep up!” The prince laughs. “Got to keep your girl safe, huh Fox?”

“That’s right-hey!” Fox looks uncomfortable. “I watch out for all my team members!”

“So she is your girl? Ooo…”

“That isn’t what I meant…”

Krystal giggles. “That’s sweet of you.”

“Stop that!”

“You don’t have to hide it.” Tricky says, matter-of-factly. “Everybody already knows.”

“Everybody?” Fox asks in a whisper.

“Everybody.” The heir to the throne affirms. “Me an’ mom are betting on when you two’ll start going out.” He smiles. “Wanna hear the odds?”

“No!” Fox exclaims. Krystal giggles and wraps her arms around him. “Hey!”

“Shh, you.” The lady addresses Tricky. “You can tell me.”

“Ah, I couldn’t.” He replies. “Wouldn’t be fair.” The dinosaur chuckles. “But I already know what’s going to happen.” They arrive at the lead aircraft. “See you two lovebirds later.” He winks before waltzing off much to Fox’s irritation and Krystal’s amusement.

“I still don’t see why you get a copilot’s seat and a cargo hold…” Krystal says pensively. “What if I wanted one?”

“You’d pay it in leg room like I do.” The squadron head replies, hopping in the pilot’s seat. “Ow, almost every single time I do that I hit my knee on the control panel. Geez…”

“Well, I guess there is that.” She clambers in. “It is awfully cramped back here.” She admits.

“That’s technology at work. Thank Slippy.” Fox replies, wryly. “Readying takeoff sequence…”

The Arwing lifts off without much ceremony. The pair is pressed back into the seats as the ship accelerates to gain enough velocity to escape the atmosphere. Once free of the planet’s pull, they float for an instant as artificial gravity activates.

“Hey Fox, is something wrong?” A voice crackles over the radio.

“No, I’m not seeing anything…” The leader replies. “Why?”

“Is something the matter, Slippy?” Krystal queries, butting in.

“Your ship seems sluggish. It’s strange…”

“I’ve got a passenger!” Fox chides the mechanic. “That’ll slow me down!”

“No, it’s something else…let me check…”

The aviator thinks a moment. “I think the G-Diffuser is off; it snapped my head back hard leaving Sauria just now.”

“How many times do I have to tell you guys that your diffusers are fine?” Slippy sounds exasperated. “It looks like there’s more weight on the ship. The balance isn’t right.”

“On what side?”

“It’s heavier towards the rear for some reason…”

“Am I putting on weight?” Krystal asks, mock shocked. “It’s my butt isn’t it?”

“No, that’s not what I meant…it’s just distribution-” She giggles, cutting the toad off.

“That’s probably my pack.” Fox concludes. “Tricky had my field visor and some other things I’d left so I brought it all back with me. Probably all broken now, busted G-Diffuser…”

“It’s your own fault if all that stuff slammed into the side of the hold! The diffuser can only do so much! If you and Mr. Ace didn’t fly like maniacs…maybe everything wouldn’t go flying every time you hit the boost!”

“It’s made to stop that from happening!”

“Ugh!” The line goes dead.

“I’ve never had any problems with the G-Diffuser…” The passenger mentions after a moment. “Plus the screen says you’re going pretty fast…”

“I don’t want to hear it!”
*********************************************************

Back on Great Fox after an energetic debate about equipment function Fox, Slippy, and Krystal are all headed toward the bridge.

“…but I’ve never had one complaint out of Peppy when he flew with us!” The amphibian continues.

“That’s beside the point.” Fox says flatly.

“Never mind. I did what I could. What more could you expect?”

They enter the bridge area. Peppy is at the computer calculating something. Falco is leaning on the bay window at the far end of the room.

“Everything went smoothly.” Fox says to his advisor. “Except the ride back…” The mechanic shoots him a mean look and he chuckles in spite of it.

“Good to hear that.” Peppy replies. “With no expenses, this mission will be a windfall for us.”

“Falco!” Krystal calls. “You’re back!”

“He got back not too long before you two.”

“Hey there, doll.” The Ace says flatly, looking down. “Fox.”

“Falco.” Team leader replies.

“I’ve been thinking…”

“Yeah?”

“I said some things I shouldn’t have. I owe you and the lady an apology.”

“Well I shouldn’t have made you go with us if you didn’t want to.” Fox confesses. “Shouldn’t even have taken that Katina mission…not without 100% approval from everybody.”

“Got that right.”

“So I owe you an apology, too.” There is silence for a few seconds.

“So, we’re even?” Falco says, finally looking up.

“Looks like it, buddy.”

“What’d I tell you?” Peppy says enthusiastically. “He always comes back.”

“Well, I have to admit you did have me worried…” Krystal says, relieved. “I thought you’d left for good…”

“Eh, there isn’t that much money elsewhere…” The bird replies disdainfully. “Plus, you guys need me here.” He looks up at her. “What would you do without me?”

Slippy opens his mouth to reply but his words are lost as the main screen comes to life. Peppy puts the transmission through on reflex and the technician is drowned out.

“Well done Star Fox!” General Pepper begins. “Queen Earthwalker is quite impressed with the speed of your service as am I. I believe she has included a tip for your promptness as well. Keep up the good work.” Their superior blinks off and the total appears on the screen.

“You two did pretty well down there.” Falco says. “Maybe we should split up more often.” He retires to his quarters.

“This’ll definitely help make up for earlier.” Peppy concludes mentally. “There might be something to what Falco said…”

“That’s alright for a day’s work. Plus the ships are all 100%. Good way to end the day.” Slippy thinks, going to bed.

“That was nice of her.” Krystal states. “But isn’t it a bit much?”

“You decide.” Fox replies. “You earned it since you dealt with most of the enemies. Don’t you think your effort was worth it?”

“I guess you’re right.” She smiles and leaves for her room. “See you tomorrow.”
*********************************************************

In Krystal’s quarters the violet vixen is getting ready for bed.

“Two missions in one day…” She sighs. “I’m really tired.” She hangs up her equipment and changes into nightclothes. “That first mission was difficult; I don’t have that much experience flying against those kinds of odds, which Falco was kind enough to point out. I have to ask for help pretty often still but he didn’t have to be so mean about it. But that other mission was a breeze so that makes up for it. I’m getting better at this too so pretty soon I won’t need so much help. Practice makes perfect.” She hops into bed and closes her eyes. “Ah…”

“You will bring my family back together.” Says a voice.

“What?” Krystal’s eyes snap open, scanning the darkness. Nothing is there. “That was odd.” She closes her eyes again.

“You will bring my family back together.” It says again.

“You…” Krystal mumbles, trying to pinpoint the voice’s source. “Get out!” She yells, waking herself. But she is alone in the room, as before. Standing, she grabs her staff to make certain of it. Checking her bathroom and closet yields no intruder so she sweeps the area with her mind. It leads back to her clothes rack and her bodysuit. In its pocket the stone from earlier is glowing again. “…” She reaches for it and plans to fling it into the disintegrator, as it is far too annoying to keep around but upon touching it is transfixed by a voice and can’t help feeling a sense of impending dread.

Listen to me…

“No!” Krystal exclaims.

Listen to me.

“I won’t!”

Gather my family. The voice continues.

“You can’t make me!”

So that we may become one…

“Not a chance!”

…and I can live again.

“Never!”

Heed my voice and those of my children.

Krystal’s amazingly clever rebuttal is overridden as the one voice is joined by many. Even within her own mind she cannot hear herself. “Shut-”

Gather my family.

…find us…

…call us…


“Stop th-”

So that we may become one.

…gather us…

…empower us…


“Please-”

And I may live again.

…lead us…

…become us…


“Aaiiiee-”

To take my revenge.”

The lurid mental trap disappears as the stone is knocked from Krystal’s hand by Fox, where it shatters on the floor. She falls forward, still in shock and her would-be savior supports her as she collapses on him with her eyes closed.

“Krystal!” Fox yells. “Are you alright? Speak to me!”

“What happened here?” Falco asks, arriving late with blaster drawn.

“What’s with all the noise?” Slippy demands, rubbing his eyes. “Some people are trying to- is she okay?” The toad asks, changing his tone on a second look.

“I don’t know.” Fox replies worriedly. “I don’t know. I wake up because I hear her screaming and she’s standing here, holding that…” He gestures at the floor toward the broken rock. “…and it was glowing so I thought it was burning her so I knock it away. Now, she’s out…” He shakes her. “I can’t wake her.”

“This?” Slippy picks up a fragment.

“Careful!”

“Doesn’t look like much.” The mechanic examines it. “I’ll take it to the lab and see what it is.” He leaves.

“Okay…” Falco holsters his weapon. “Well, I’m going back to bed.” He retires back to his room.

Fox lays Krystal on her bed. “You’re heavier than I thought…” He notes, pulling the covers over her. He shakes his head. “Sleep well, I guess.”
*********************************************************

The next morning finds Krystal with a monster headache. Awakening slowly, rubbing her forehead she doesn’t open her eyes just yet.

“What happened?” She mumbles, groggily. “My head feels like something’s rattling inside it…” A presence grabs her attention. “Good morning, Fox.”

“Hmm?” Team leader looks up from the floor. “…morning.”

“I’m curious. What are you doing here?” The telepath sounds mildly amused, rolling over to look down at him. “This is my room if you aren’t sure which one yours is.”

“Ah…don’t you remember?”

“Remember what?”

“Last night. You were screaming and …I don’t know.” He stands up. “I was hoping you’d tell me.”

“I don’t know what you are talking about.”

“I’ll try to explain. See-”

“Don’t.” She commands, stares intently at him a moment.

“Hmm?” Fox queries. “But…” Then he feels a warm sensation behind his eyes. “Oh…right.”

Krystal looks shocked after her brief foray into his mind. “I don’t recall any of that…”

“Are you hurt?” The boss sounds anxious. “Do you feel okay?”

“I have a headache but that’s all.” She replies unsteadily sitting up.

“You don’t recall anything?”

“I got up to check on something…” She thinks a moment then shakes her head. “…then it’s black after that.”

“I watched over you while you were asleep. I didn’t know what to do.”

“Thank you for that.” Krystal smiles gently. “It means a lot.”

Fox shrugs sheepishly. “It was the least I could do.” He turns to leave and remembers something. “Would you like to take today off?”

“I’d rather not.”

“I’ll try not to work you too hard, then.” He leaves.
*********************************************************

Later that morning everyone is gathered on the bridge. After assessing mission options everyone has something to say.

“First off, I’m not doing the Fichina mission.” Falco says bluntly. “That weather machine malfunctions every other day and that place is too rough on Arwings when it isn’t working.”

“You’re fast on your feet.” Fox counters. “You’d get done in no time. With me behind you there’d be no problem.”

“If I can’t fly it’s a no go, flat out. Plus the blizzard only gets worse the longer it’s left alone? No sir, that’s too much down time.”

“Slippy, you’ll do this with me, right?” The team leader sounds desperate.

“No dice.” The engineer replies. “I’d rather finish that lab work than go get frozen.”

“You’ll be fine! Dress for the weather!”

“No. I’m cold-blooded.” He shakes his head. “Me and blizzards don’t mix.”

“I’ll do it.” Krystal volunteers.

“There goes taking it easy for the day.” Fox sighs. “Are you sure you’re up to this?”

“Of course.”

“Watch the temperature.” Slippy advises. “Your personal climate control fields’ll handle most of it but be careful. You’ll have to get out of the wind occasionally so you don’t overwork them. The last thing you want is for them to quit and you freeze solid.”

“Right” Fox replies. “Anything else?”

“You’ll probably get dropped in.” Peppy mentions. “So check your jet packs before you go.” They nod and go to fetch their equipment for the mission.
*********************************************************

In the bay of Great Fox everyone is making last minute mission preparations.

“Falco will drop you two off.” Peppy explains. “He’ll fly you two as close as he can before you have to jump. When you repair the weather machine he’ll come back and pick you up.

“Now, if you’re done, maybe we could get on with this?” The ace says impatiently. “Hop on so we can get this done.”

Without a word Fox and Krystal climb on the Arwing and prepare to wingride. The pilot takes off abruptly, heading off into the storm. A few minutes later the pair is deposited in the snow. After getting up, they’re off.

“We’ve got a long way to go to the heart of this.” Fox notes, looking at his map.

“He dropped us off at the edge of the disturbance.” Krystal replies. “Any closer and he risked going down.”

Team leader nods and they begin the trek. Deeper and deeper snow piles up before them as they walk against the wind. The epicenter of the blizzard remains a spot on the horizon as trudging through the drifts becomes more and more difficult. Progress slows increasingly, all the way up until Fox slips and falls in one of the snow banks face first.

“Brrr…” His teeth begin to chatter. Before he can get up the ice around him melts and he’s in a warm puddle. “...cold...”

“Are you alright?” Krystal inquires, with her glowing red staff close by.

Fox brushes himself off and nods. “I’ll let you slide with bringing that over a blaster on a mission this time.”

Krystal giggles. “You’re welcome.”

But even with the magical heat of her staff it is blistering cold and fearless leader manages to catch a chill from his slip up in the powder snow. Between that and fatigue is beginning to take its toll. Soon the duo decides it’s time for a quick break and duck into a cave to escape the gusting sub-zero winds.

“I can’t imagine why I brought this stick with me…” The telepath mentions as her staff warms up the cavern. “This old thing is barely usable.”

“You win already.” Fox says, exasperated. “I admit it, the staff beats a blaster.”

“Really?”

“But it’s all about preference.” He tries his communicator. “Slippy, do you read? How far away are we from the target?” He waits a few seconds. “Nothing, our communicators won’t reach through the storm.”

“You do know which way to go, right?”

“Yeah, but I don’t know how much further.”

“That doesn’t matter; we’ll make it if you don’t take another tumble…” Krystal smiles. “You aren’t still sopping wet are you?” She asks in all seriousness.

“No, I’m about as warm and dry as I’m going to get.” Fox checks the time and looks outside. “Ready to go?” She nods and they are off again.

Now it’s even tougher going. In addition to the searing cold it is now blinding as they are walking against the wind. Gale force gusts threaten to lift them from their feet with every step. The meager warmth of Krystal’s magic does little against the element of the winter planet. Still onward they trudge.

“Another couple of hours should put us at the installation.” Fox speculates. “If not, we’ll have to camp-” His train of thought is derailed as he takes flight. His trip isn’t long as his landing is just as abrupt. His partner impacts him directly afterward, hindering his attempts to stand. “You’re definitely too heavy to be landing on me...” He concludes, winded.

“Are you making fun of me?” Krystal says, trying to make light of the situation. “I’m not that heavy!”

“Right...” Fox ties a rope around their waists as a safety precaution. “But I might as well make use of a good anchor…” His traveling companion frowns at him before getting back up.

They plod on another half hour before taking a second rest in another cavern. Thankful to be out of the wind they almost collapse on the ground within the grotto.

“I thought we’d make better time than this.” Fox thinks. “This isn’t good.”

“I’m a bit tired.” Krystal says. “How are you holding up?”

“Aside from our time, I’m fine.” Fox replies. “Just a bit cold. Turn up the heat, would you?”

The telepath sighs. “I’m running out.” She shakes her head. “I’m almost drained. Plus, this cave is too big to heat with just this thing.”

“Oh. Never mind.” Fox checks his belt. “Is this thing working? Suddenly, I’m freezing!”

“Hmm?” Krystal is uneasy. “Is what working?”

“The climate thing! It’s supposed to stop the cold, right? But I’m starting to feel like a popsicle!”

“You did fall and get water in it as I do recall…”

“And you fell on it, don’t forget!” Fox adds. “Big butt…”

“Hey! My butt is not big!”

He shrugs. “I can’t help it. You sat on my lap and squashed the thing flat. What can I say?”

Krystal smiles wryly. “Yes, I did.” She concedes. “For that, I’m sorry.” She sits down next to him and wraps her arms around him.

“Now is not the time for that…”

“I’m trying to share my forcefield.” She replies, patiently. “It still works. Or would you rather I not?”

“Oh.” Fox is silent. “Thanks.”

“You’re welcome.” She giggles.

“What now?”

“If you weren’t half frostbitten this would be romantic, don’t you think?”

Fox opens his mouth then shuts it again. Though he is very cold his pulse still quickens a bit and it isn’t the frigid air turning his face red. “Ah…”

“I thought so.” She pecks him on the cheek.

Fox takes another look at his watch. “Hmm…we should wait a while.”

“Why’s that?”

“The wind’ll die down some after the sunsets in a couple of hours. Not much but it’ll be enough to walk through.” He sets his alarm. “Unless you mind….”

“No, I don’t. I’d prefer to keep my feet on the ground.” And with that they take another brief break, huddled together for warmth.
*********************************************************

On Great Fox everyone is doing something different. Falco is down in the hanger detailing his Arwing, again. While Slippy is in the lab examining that strange rock leaving Peppy to mind the bridge.

“Haven’t heard from Fox yet…” The mission coordinator checks the locator system. “Looks like they’ve made some progress though. No need to worry.” He flips off the map program. “That’s not the problem. I doubt we’re going to get much for this mission either. We’re going to have to find a way to make more money.” He leans back. “I’ve got to think.”

The central area is silent as the old hare gets to thinking. But as is the way of fate, a breakthrough is always just out of reach. Because whenever there is peace and quiet someone has to call and mess it up. The sound of the communicator nearly startles the advisor from his chair.

“Dagnabit! I almost had it!” Peppy looks annoyed. “Who’s this calling?” He wonders, putting the transmission through.

“Ah, just who I wanted to speak to.” Pepper says. “I’ve got a question for you.”

“If it’s about that mission, they aren’t done quite yet.” Peppy says. “I’ll let you know when though.”

The general looks puzzled a second. “I wasn’t referring to that. I have a proposition for you.”

“Oh. How can I help?”

“I think your battle expertise can benefit the Cornerian Army and quite possibly the entire Lylat system.”

“I’d love to help but it’s a tad late for me to join the army isn’t it? I retired a couple years ago if you remember.”

“No, I don’t want you as a soldier. More like an advisor. I can’t think of anyone who’s flown as long as you have. Anything you don’t know about battle probably isn’t worth knowing.”

“I don’t know about all that…” Peppy says modestly. “…but I’ve flown since the beginning Arwings.”

“Exactly! That’s what I need, an experienced fighter. You’d be perfect as my tactician!”

“I’m not so sure.” The retiree sounds uncertain. “I’ve got a lot to do here, yet.”

“You’d only be a consultant, part time if need be. It’d be a worthy venture to consider, what do you say?”

“We could use the money…” The veteran considers. “No doubt about that but still…”

“Well?” Pepper asks expectantly.

“I’ll have to talk it over with my team.”

“Get back to me when you decide. The offer’s still open.” The screen goes blank.
*********************************************************

Inside the cave Krystal is having a nightmare.

It is time. The voice says. For the transformation to begin.

“What are you talking about?” Krystal is clueless. “Transformation?”

For us to become one.

“I will not bend to your will!” She is indignant. “Ever!”

You will merge with me and lead my family. The voice doesn’t seem phased by her misgivings.

“You are sadly mistaken; leave me alone!”

You want a family and that is one thing I can give. You’ll never be alone again.

The telepath is speechless. The loss of her family on Cerinia is still a deep wound. “…”

My family will be yours. All you must do is crush what I hate most then nothing will stop us from being together.

The purple psychic is still reeling somewhat from the memory of her tragedy. “What?” She asks in a wavering voice. The voice makes no reply and images of her friends flash before her. That is answer enough. “No!”

You will. The process begins now. Your mind and body will unite with my soul and you will be queen. Star Fox must be destroyed.

Krystal wants to debate the issue but it feels like she’s being ripped in half. Something is pulling tight against her and the pain is excruciating. She awakens from her slumber in real agony and cries out.

Fox, ever alert, springs back out of her arms in a hasty backflip and draws his blaster. Searching for enemies and finding none he looks back at his partner in distress. Since she’s straining at the safety line linking them he snaps it with a shot. “Wait a second…” He says slowly. “I get the feeling I missed something…”

Krystal is now able to stop bawling and open her eyes. Immediately she startles herself and recoils back, hitting her head on the cave wall. “Ow…” She rubs her cranium and chances another glance. “There’s something wrong here.” She says with her voice reverberating through the tunnel. She looks up at the much nearer ceiling. “I’m certain, now.”

“I was just thinking the same thing.” Fox takes another look around before addressing her again. “I’m taking any kind of excuses at this point.” He looks all the way up at her face. “And be sure to cover this part.”