- Text Size +

“We are scum, I won’t lie to you mate,” said Mark woefully. “Best stick with lasses…”

“Yes, thank you Mark.” Lauren replied bluntly. Mark smirked with a slight laugh. His eyes locked onto Abby’s and she was looking at him with a scold and a frown.

“Don’t listen to him, he’s an idiot…”

“…Thanks…”

“…But he’s right, men are bastards.”

“Again.” Mark replied. “Does anybody want another drink?”

A year and half ago, Mark sat with Abby in the Strawberry at a table that he thought that was saved only for with a hint of a life. Thankfully, after meeting Abby about six months ago, his life got back into gear after having split with his ex Charlotte. Since he was introduced to Abby, he had done nothing but pester her constantly for a date. Initially, Abby rejected Mark. He was annoying, bothersome and never gave her a moments peace. But after Mark’s persistence, Abby had gotten used to Mark’s company, both on the phone and when the trio met up from time-to-time. Mark worked his awkward magic, and it wasn’t long before Abby was the one asking Mark for a night out together.

Lauren had described them as being down-to-Earth and a couple that was meant to be. And why not, Mark would say now and then. They made each other laugh, challenged each other and never got bored of their company. But above all else, they had fights. Big fights, sometimes. And even when the relationship between them seemed like it was on the verge, literally at breaking point, they managed to work it out between them. They were young adults, sure. But they knew how to handle each other like they had been together for years and thus, Mark and Abby were a solid couple indeed.

As Mark got up to go to the bar, he stumbled slightly. He didn’t have much to drink but he was on somewhat of an empty stomach and the drink was affecting him more than he thought. He let out a small burp and patted his belly as he made his way to the long oakwood bar.

He put his drink down and let out a loud hiccup and slowly shook his head. Lauren, Lauren, Lauren… he thought to himself. She had put herself in it, only having herself to blame. The guy seemed like an absolute bastard when she had introduced him to Mark and Abby. Blake, he was called. Blake… Man-mountain asshole… he thought. Shaking his head again, he waved over the bartender who was reading the paper at the end of the bar. Seeing Mark, he wandered over with a smile.

“Another one, sir?” the middle-aged man asked.

“Aye, please mate. Lager, a dry white – large. Oh, and a cider and black too bud…” Mark finished.

“Right you are sir…” and the man wandered off.

Mark rubbed his forehead. It was late and was a Wednesday. Normally he wouldn’t be drinking on a week day. He just wasn’t capable of functioning with a hangover and it wasn’t a great idea with work in the morning. But with Lauren’s break-up, her calls for the trio to meet, he reasoned with himself and was ready to help his friend in need.

His head felt like it was getting lighter, his eyes swaying a little bit now. Jesus, I didn’t have that much to drink! But he kept forgetting that he hadn’t eaten at all today. I’ll grab some food on the way back home…

“…I said that would be eight-sixty sir…” Mark snapped out of his little trance and realised that the bartender had been trying to get his attention. Mark pulled a ten-note out of his back pocket and handed it to the man in waiting.

“Oh, did I ask for some crisps?”

“Ha, no sir. What will it be?”

“Ready salted bud. Keep the change too,” Mark mumbled.

“Righto, I’ll just have to nip down into the cellar to get them.” Mark nodded his head showing he understood and leant on the bar to wait.

He was eyeing up the many different spirits and whiskey lining the shelves along the pub. The range of whiskey on their own were impressive, the bartender knew what he wanted in his pub as this was no random selection. He was eyeing up a bottle of Oban before a soft voice caught his attention. He turned to see a brunette standing next to him, smiling at him as he looked at her.

“Is there anyone serving?”

“Oh, yeah, he’s just downstairs at the moment. Just fetching me some crisps…” And that reminded him that his pint was there waiting for him. He gripped the cool glass and drank his pint, taking in its refreshing qualities.

“Ah, OK. Quiet tonight isn’t it?”

“Aye,” replied Mark, oh-so casually. “Tis a Wednesday so there’s that…”

“True. Are you here with them?” Mark looked at the woman shaking her head towards his entourage and followed her meaning.

“Yeah, my friend’s having a bit of a crisis.”

“Oh?”

“She’s going through a break-up...”

“…Ah…” the woman said nodding her head understandably. Mark lost eye contact with her as she looked on at Lauren and Abby talking, Abby gripping one of Lauren’s hands and trying to help her. Mark went back to sipping his pint.

“Who would break-up with her? I love her hair…” the woman said quietly, but openly.

“Yeah, it’s something else isn’t it? I’ve never seen curls like that before!” Mark jumped slightly as the tender had come back and put a packet of ready salted on the bar in front of him. “I only had ready salted, is that OK?”

“Yep that’s fine bud, cheers!” and Mark stuffed the crisps into his pocket and grabbed the drinks. He turned and noticed the woman again. "Nice to meet you... Erm..." Mark boggled his brain, wondering if she had indeed stated her name to him.

"Cheryl!" she said with a smile.

"Cheryl," Mark replied. He gave her one last nod before he wandered back towards his table.

He smiled as he walked back to his table. Keeping his balance, he placed the drinks onto the table and sat in his chair. Both Lauren and Abby thanked him for the drinks and he looked back at Lauren. “How’re you doing bud?”

“I’m OK I think…” Lauren replied sniffly. “Thanks you guys. I needed this…”

“You’ve been there for me buddy. I’m glad I, we, can help.”

“Of course,” said Abby. “We’re always here for you!” and she smiled that smile that Mark fell in love with.

“But, Lauren… Can I just ask…”

“Here we go…” muttered Lauren with a smile.

“Why Blake of all people? Hate to say it but he seemed like an asshole when you introduced him to us. He just didn’t seem…” Mark struggled to find the right words in his state.

“…I think what Mark is trying to say is that he wasn’t right for you. At all.” Abby said bluntly but with a hint of consideration.

“Aye, that.” Mark finished. He went back to sipping his drink. Lauren nodded her head and wiped her eyes.

“I know. I’m just… Ahh, I’m just shit when it comes to guys. I think I get on better with women.”

“Yeah, I thought that once…” Mark replied again with a chuckle. Abby nodded her head slightly with a wink.

“You don’t do too bad. And Lauren, it was just one guy. I’m sure you’d be fine in the future. He was always going to hurt you one way or another. Nice body though…"

“Thanks…” Mark muttered.

As the trio yammered on, the night got darker but the bar got quieter. Only a few people were still in the Strawberry, and even Lauren had left. Thanking Mark and Abby, she left to go home and rest after a horrible day. Mark and Abby were left to their own devices and they discussed Lauren, Blake and themselves. It ended up being a good night for both of them, with alcohol in their blood and with the bar being quiet, they were able to talk long into the hour.

“Y’know, we should do this more often.” Abby said softly, looking at Mark.

Mark was looking back at her, locking his eyes onto hers and being lost in those brown eyes all over again. But he understood her, he felt the same way. It was nice just being a couple talking about things that couples do. He felt grown up and mature and more importantly, loved.

“I was thinking the same thing. I promise that we’ll get more time, just us two together.” Mark said, now drunk (as too was Abby), but sober-enough to understand his girlfriend and communicate like a normal human being. Mark motioned to take another sip of his drink, but suddenly he lurched as he felt something soft but firm slide up the inside of his leg. He dozily looked around, but he caught the sight of Abby smiling at him, beaming at his shock.

Mark calmed down and smiled back as he felt his girlfriends foot slowly stroke its way up his inner-thigh. He’d never had a girlfriend that would do things like this, especially in public. And right there and then, he spurted out…

“Why haven’t you moved in with me yet?” Mark felt Abby’s foot stop in its tracks, resting oh-so near his awakening package. The look of shock on Abby’s face made him regret what he had just splurted out at his girlfriend. “Sorry, I didn’t mean to say-“

“Did...Did you just say what I think you just said…?!”