- Text Size +
Story Notes:

Sorry if my grammar isn't great but I'm just not good with English. 

Not Forgotten


Chapter 1: Nothing but the sea and sky


Jacob had lost track of how long he had been floating here on this ocean. He didn't even know the name of the sea he was lost in, it didn't seem to matter in his old life. But now when he finally realised the scope of it, he wondered why it didn't matter to him in class, a endless horizon of blue ocean on blue sky carried on in all directions.

No shadows, no clouds, no wind. It was the most ironic of hells he could imagine. Dying slowly of thirst only able to sustain himself on a few drops of condensed water a day.

He couldn't help but wonder how long it would be before he lost his mind to this state and just drank the sea water surrounding him. 


The depressing thoughts irked him, he hated weakness and finding himself in a completely helpless situation drove at his mental stability. Pressing his red sore arms against the rubber plastic of his life raft, his skin so red and raw from the relentless surf and sun the pain barely seemed to register anymore as his limbs stuck onto the neon orange surface, making a sickly wet noise as he struggled to right himself. 
Looking over the edge into the ocean. Jay marveled at how crystal clear it all was.

Catching a minor glimpse of his reflection only to see what his new world was doing to him. Forcing that image out of his mind he chose to remind himself of his normal self. Of a young clean shaven man with everything to gain and everything to prove. 

Wiping sleep along with crystallised salt from his eyes he was at a loss for a moment when trying to picture how he normally would look. Just almond eyes and short yellow hair to go along with his clean cut casual image. 
Splashing the water in frustration he saw several large fish dash away in surprise. Pushing himself further over the edge of the raft he saw barnacles had started growing on his raft and that fish where coming up attracted to, by this small floating island of sorts. 


He smirked, so even fish come to mock me he thought darkly. Forcing himself back away from this latest development,  instead Jay pulled himself to the side with a little buoy.

This little orange and clear piece of plastic was his only lifeline. It provided him with clean drinking water. Tugging gently on the white thread that connected it to his raft he worked it closer to himself. As carefully as Jay could, he got it out of the water, with some minor difficulty, as his limbs no longer possed the same strength he had when he started. It's clear traffic cone shape was sickly warm to the touch. Fumbling with a straw he drank the few drops available to him. It was hot and stale to the taste, that didn't matter,  the only thing that mattered was that it was safe. 


When Jacob was about to refill the buoy a sudden change in temperature with the first gust of wind he had felt in lord knows how long, caused him to drop it. Limbs barely able to follow his instructions fumbled for the string again. The wind now hailed past his ears, it honestly felt quite good,  a cool harsh wind cooling his body down and cutting into his sore skin, more like a soothing salv of cream then anything else. 

Jay had gotten the buoy back in the time the wind had stopped. He found the little flap to let in more water when the pressure suddenly dived down causing his ears to pop, followed instantly with a dark shadow cast over him. Goosebumps popping up all over his body as it struggled to warm itself up as it had gotten icy cold. Dropping what he was doing. Jacob spun around on the spot, just as the first drop of ice cold rain came down. It was followed by thousands of other drops. Stunned he grabbed hold of one of the rafts handles as thunder began to rain down along with the torrential torrent of water. The noise was unreal, he wasn't able to think as it dawned on him just how at mercy he was in this ocean.

The surf surged up all around his raft. Now bathing in a cold bath of rain water he felt his stomach churn and twist around as he was violently thrown up and down on the spot. The sun was nowhere to be seen anymore. Jay was surrounded by pitch blackness that could only be rivaled with the darkest of nights. Only to see the now raging storm ominously shadowed by the lightning. Fingertips growing numb. As the wind and rain tore all warmth in him out. The irony wasn't completely lost on him. He had gone from the sauna of a desert to the freakish hell of a cold winter. 


Jays fingers where robbed of what little strength he had as the weather proceeded to get worse. The rain was so fierce and heavy he barely could keep his eyes open as droplets started to hit his weakened state like frozen bullets. It was almost as if he was completely naked to the storm. His clothes didn't seem to do anything to stop the relentless assault. 


With the last bit of his meagre strength lost, his grip on the handles of the liferaft was completely gone. Now Jay was left to be thrown back and forward as the surge of sea water raged up and down threatening each and every time to throw him from his only hope of survival. 
Gasping for air as a huge surge of water threatened to throw him and his raft upside down. Jay wrestled with what strength he had, willing limbs to move that had already gone way past there limits of endurance. He grasped one handle in desperation drawing in short ragged breaths everytime the water on his raft let him, as it sloshed on tune with the waves of the merciless ocean. 


Peering out bruised eyes he saw a shadow come over him. It was like a wall but alive gliding without friction or noise. The next moment seemed to pass like a dream.

Jays back was thrust into the bottom of his raft along with what water remained in its boundaries. The only way he could think to describe it was as if a train had picked him up suddenly while moving at two hundred miles an hour.

His lifeless limbs trembled as he felt his inertia shift. Not upwards but downwards, willing himself to open his eyes once more he saw a deep dark blue as still and as smoothly as ice approach him at insane speed. Then there was nothing but darkness... 

 

Chapter End Notes:

I know my grammar isn't the best but I'm earnestly trying my hardest when I write. Please leave reviews with your likes and criticisms. I'll honestly try to improve my writing with each new short chapter.