- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

This Chapter is the actual start of the story.  We also meet Brad's partner Detective Karla Anderson.  No shrinking content quite yet.

Brad parks his car in the parking lot of the state park and takes a deep breath.  It was a mix of nerves and excitement, the same feeling he always had before going undercover.  A tinge of worry but mostly excitement about getting back into the thick of it all.  Brad needed to relax though, the key was not to seem too hyped up.  He relaxed and smiled when seeing his partner Karla stretching having arrived earlier.  She gave a little wave as she started to walk towards his car.

 

Karla was great.  She was just like Brad in that she had become one of the younger detectives in the force but she fit right in.  A bit of a take no shit attitude while also not being too sensitive.  Brad had to admit he was a little unsure when he was told his new partner was going to be a rookie, but 4 months later and the two of them got along great...and as she walked over Brad also couldn’t help but think that she was also very easy on the eyes.

 

Obviously it wasn’t like there would be any development...she was 26 years old and Brad was NOT going to get involved with someone he worked with.  Brad had seen how bad that could go and he really enjoyed working with Karla. .  Karla was what you would describe as “curvy” or “thick”.  Some might consider her a bit chubby but the way she carried herself and seemed proud of her curves gave her a confidence that was hard not to find sexy.  Not to mention she was just fun-loving.  It also helped that she is a good detective, although still a bit inexperienced and even ditzy at times.  Brad smiled getting out of his car as Karla approached.

 

“Glad you could finally join me”  She says walking over in yoga pants and a sweatshirt.

 

“I’m on time, you’re just early”  Brad says.  “Thanks again for coming.  This is huge and I can’t trust anyone else”  

 

Karla smiled  “Well thanks...but that doesn’t mean you don’t owe me.  My paperwork for the next week remember”  She says as he shook his head.  Last night when filling her in she said this was part of the deal.

 

“Yeah fine...so let’s go over the details again…”  Brad says as she sighs and rolls her eyes.  “I’m supposed to meet with the drop off person in 30 minutes at a specific park bench.  You’re going to run ahead and radio me when she arrives.  Then watch from a safe distance to make sure nothing happens.  But remember under no…”  Brad says before he gets interupted. 

 

“...under no circumstances am I to make contact with you or be seen by the drop off.  YES Brad I got it, this isn’t my first day”  She says rolling her eyes.  “So you really think this is going to lead to something and not just be another dead end?”

 

Brad shrugs.  “I dunno...but this is the best lead we’ve had...and if it means I get out of that office and back in the field then I’ll take it”  He says, feeling that familiar rush he had when going undercover and Karla just shrugs.

 

“I guess...I just still think it’s a hoax.  I mean we’ve never met a single person who has taken “SK”...and what the hell do you think “SK” stands for.  Like Super Kocaine?”  She says and Brad just chuckles.

 

“Umm Karla...Cocaine is spelled with a C”  She just turns back to him.

 

“Umm Brad...I was kidding”  She gives a little mocking tease and Brad just shakes his head.  “I could be lounging around on my couch right now…”

 

“Y’know you should be thanking me.  You know you could stand to do a little running”  Brad says with a little smirk and she raises an eyebrow.

 

“Oh really?  Y’know I think you probably just want me here so you can stare at my ass in these pants” She gives her butt a little pat… “Although you stare at my ass in every pair of pants I wear so big surprise”  She says and sees Brad start to blush and laugh.  “Haha I made you embarrassed”  She almost sings as Brad hears a bing from his phone.

 

“Yeah yeah you got me...okay it’s go time.  Find a good spot and radio me when she arrives…”  Brad says and Karla gives a little casual salute and starts to run before BRad calls out to her.  “And Karla…”  She looks back.  “...thanks for your help”  She smiles and gives a thumbs up and continues to run and Brad chuckles realizing she was right.  He was staring at her butt while she ran off.


 

 

Chapter End Notes:

One more chapter of set-up then we'll get into the good stuff :)