- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

First Chapter is setting up with teases to future content.

 

This story is slightly different to my others (except maybe my first). More cruel in areas and dark (thus the tags). So beware and read the tags. (some which are for future events)

 

To those who read my other stories, stick around after the story and text after that for updates on those.

Chapter 1: Turning 18/Enter Kelly

 

18. The year you get two choices. Continue life normal sized and live free. Or be subjected to the wheel of fate and serve mankind for 'the better survival of humanity'

 

In 2025, population reached a boiling point. In Australia, the government struggled to accommodate its growing population, in all sectors, foreign and homegrown. In a bid to control its rising numbers, it researched and introduced the Two Way System.

 

All new born citizens would be marked for two ways to live. On their 18th birthday, a computer would decide if they would continue life as nothing changed or be shrunk and used as a 'tool' or object for various items. These ranged from toothbrushes, rags, rings, tattoos to more obscene but popular items life toilet paper, panty linings or even butt plugs.

 

There was no future after this, you were forced into the life until you died and being freed meant life in prison to you and the person who helped if caught.

 

Controversial at first, the public loved it and it fueled the economy of Australia to heights not seen for decades. Popular enough, almost every country around the world adopted this scheme. With only Scotland and the USA being exceptions, including banning such items if imported.

 

Kelly was a 19 year old American from New York City. She had long blonde hair and wore a themed T-Shirt of The Simpsons, a leather jacket and a simple pair of jeans.

 

She had applied for a job with Kairi Industries, a tech company that produced various smart phone applications. She failed to secure a job at her American branch, but they were opening in Australia and they offered her it, with the condition that she had willing to move. Happy to, Kelly now disembarked her plane, staring into the bright Australia sky and scenery. 

 

Carrying her suitcase, she left the airport and her company car arrived to pick her up. She entered the car, the driver was a 47 looking year old, he had a mustache and looked tired. "Morning miss, I am Tom. I have been directed to drive you to your new apartment in Melbourne, do you have everything with you?" he asked. Kelly nodded and the car pulled away. Kelly looked outside at the new life she was to begin.

 

Kelly opened the door to her apartment, it was pretty large, 1 bedroom, an 'entertainment room', bathroom and eating space. As Kelly went to sit down, exhausted by her trip, she squeaked in surprise. On the seat in her kitchen was a small man. He looked 29 years old. His body was molded into the seat. He was about the size of a toy car, like a matchbox sized person. His mouth was covered with some sort of tape and he was looking up at Kelly, as if nothing was wrong.

 

Kelly looked at the other 3 seats. One had a small boy, about 18, he looked scared and seemed to try to squirm. Another had a woman, she looked 40. She looked tired and just stared at Kelly. The last had another girl, she was about Kelly's age, like the boy, she seemed scared.

 

Kelly backed herself into the kitchen area. She had heard and even seen such things, but seeing it in real life and in flesh, spooked her. No, it scared her, they looked terrified. Kelly then noticed a note stuck to the fridge, marked READ ME, Kelly grabbed it and read it. 

 

"Dear Kelly Riker,

 

Welcome to the team at Kairi Industries.

We hope your journey was not tiring and you are enjoying your new place of residence. It has been outfitted with the essentials and your account has been loaded with a bonus in the event you need anything else to personalize your new 'zone'. 

 

We should also note as an America, you may not be aware or used to the 'Living Items' that scatter your room. There is a list of all such devices or items in your company email, including the laws that bind them to such fates. We wish to remind you tampering with any that free's such fate is a punishment of life imprisonment. We do not help any employee who may do such illegal activities.

 

If you wish to replace any items with foreign clean ones, please contact us, however life around the company and Australia relies on our system, so we encourage you use and become accustomed to them.  

 

You job starts tomorrow or the next day of the date written here: *********. You may have our car escort you each day or walk/ride to your office. It is a 15 minute bike trip and 45 minute walk/jog. We always encourage personal exercise and healthy activities.

 

Welcome to the team

 

-Sally Kew, Head of APP DEV TEAM 45."

 

Kelly read and re-read the note.

 

There were more!

 

Chapter End Notes:

Thanks for reading. 

This story is one I have been wanting to do for along time but felt I did not have a great scope to it. Coming back after a break, I decided to finally attempt it. 

While the story is planned, any suggestions is highly appreciated and I am also open to any 'item' ideas. Also if you wish to be in the story, feel free to include a name and 'item' or 'user' (and what you want to be or use) in a review and I will include you if I need a character that is that item or uses an item you mention. (you could be a small cameo or stick around a few chapters, completly random)

Thanks for reading and those wanting an update on my other stories, read below.

If your reading this, you were a reader of my other stories (if you don't, feel free to ignore this or even check them out).

My main computer I used stopped working and all my current chapters were lost. I had backups of uploaded ones, but the time lost on written chapters and the time lost between the computer dying and getting a new one caused me to loose focus in those stories.

I am open to continue them if anybody is still intrested, as I did have plans for them. But I don't want to continue stories where audiences have moved on. 

If you were a reader, feel free to review here or on the story you want to continue and if I feel I can push out future chapters, I will.

I apologize for the super long delay, it took awhile to gain money for a new computer and then writing kinda bummed me as I lost so much time.

I want to thank all those who did read them and hope there are still those around who wish to read more!

Also I am now 100% online, so no lost stories and less errors as my new writing space finds errors much better, so faster writing to upload time.