- Text Size +
Story Notes:
This is the first in what will hopfully become a small series of short stories. This story is dedicated to Pixis (aka Eric Lindberg) for inspiring me to do this. Enjoy it and please comment on it.

“Your highness,” cried out one of the chamberlains. “Klaus has returned with the beast!”

And not a moment too soon,thought King Tillinghast to himself. He lifted hifmself off his throne and marched out of the front door of the castle. He made his way down the steps and found himself face to face with Klaus, second in command of the royal army. He was wearing his traditional brown and white clothes underneath his armor and as always, snug in his belt, was his revolver.

“Where is the beast?” the king asked.

“Our soldiers are bringing it through the walls as we speak,” Klaus replied and pointed the king to the wall that surrounded the kingdom. The gate was open, soldiers tugged on giant chains dragging forth this 100 foot monster that looked surprisingly human if it weren’t for its size. It resembled a beautiful young woman, with graceful red hair, violet eyes and a very full bosom. Her clothes seemed to be that of an ordinary woman except they fit her and only her, plus the skirt was rather short. For ten minutes the two of them watched the soldiers force her across the kingdom. Villagers stood in awe and fear of this beautiful beast. The soldiers finally reached the king and he looked up at the giantess.

“I never knew giants looked so elegant,” said the king in astonishment.

“Sire, I don’t think you should admire this thing, after all it has wiped out two whole villages along with their people.”

“Oh, quite right Klaus,” said the king. “Giant, what do you have to say for yourself?”

The giantess didn’t answer but a large drop of liquid fell from its head.

“Is that a tear?” he asked Klaus.

“No, my lord, it’s saliva, trust me. These things view us as nothing more than food.”

“Very well, take it to the dungeon.”

The soldiers tugged on the chains and the giantess followed. As the king made his way back into the castle he caught a brief glance of the giantess looking at him. There were streams of moisture emanating from its eyes. The king shrugged it off and turned to Klaus and asked “Did it put a fight?”

“It did indeed, sire,” replied Klaus. “She was quiet feisty, you’d be amazed how resistant they are to weapons. Even my own pistol couldn’t slow her down but we perservered and we got her in those chains.”

“Your tenacity is certainly extraordinary and while I’d like to know more, I need to see my son.”

“Very well, sire.”

*********

“Marlon,” said Tillinghast as he knocked on the door.

“Come in.”

The King entered Marlon’s room and found his soon sitting at his desk, reading. Marlon was now 20 years old with brown hair, blue eyes. And he was miserable.

“Son, I’m worried about you,” said the king. “I know you’re still trying to find your perfect lover but honestly can’t you just pick out any maiden in the Kingdom?”

Marlon turned and said, “Father, we’ve been over this before. Plus I don’t want to be forced to marry anyone.”

“Do you know how many other kings have told me they’d want you to marry their daughter?” snapped the king.

“Twenty seven,” replied Marlon.

“Really?” asked the king in surprise. “I thought it was fourteen. But anyway, I had to turn down their requests out of respect to you, son.”

“Good God, how many times have you told me that?”

“Oh dear,” said the king. “I’ve repeated myself again, sorry, son.”

Marlon got up from his chair and walked over to his father. “It’s okay,” said Marlon. “I know you want to see me succeed you as king but I need time.”

“I know but I don’t know how many more days I’ll be alive.”

“Father, don’t worry, just give me time, that’s all.”

“You’re right,” said the king. “Damn, I’m getting old.”

Marlon then began to walk out of the room but he called back to his father saying, “I’m going for a walk on the grounds, okay? I’ll be back.”

Marlon walked around the castle and saw the new dungeon. It was a giant red bricked cube attached to the back of the castle with a staircase going around it. He walked up to the staircase where a guard was standing.

“Halt!” he commanded.

“I wish to see the creature that Klaus had captured,” replied Marlon.

“If you wish to see the monster, then take this.” He handed Marlon his sword. The prince took it and made his way up the stairs. He reached the top and found an iron barred window and peered into get a look at the beast. He was shocked when he saw the giantess sitting there looking quite harmless and depressed. He stepped on the windowsill and then accidentally dropped the sword. The giantess heard the clang, saw the sword, looked up and saw Marlon. She got up and faced Marlon.

“What are you doing here?” she asked.

“I was curious,” replied Marlon.

“About what?” she asked with much suspicion in her voice.

“Well, I’ve never seen a giant before, plus I always thought you were peaceful beings.”

The giantess’ expression grew lighter.

“I have an Elven friend of mine named Pixis, who from time to time tells fantastic stories about your kind. He says that it takes mere days to make a city, that you eat dragons for supper and that you have the most ample—”

He paused. The giantess started giggling.

“Oh dear, I’m so sorry,” he said with a lot of shame in his voice.

“It’s okay,” she said “After all; they’re the second most complimented part of me.”

Oh my, is she cheeky, Marlon thought to himself.

“I’m Marlon, by the way. What’s your name?”

“Raquel,” she replied.

“Lovely,” he said. “Do you eat people?” he abruptly asked.

“Of course not!” she fired back. “No offense but little folk just aren’t healthy or tasty plus there’s the whole thing about begging for mercy which can really ruin one’s appetite.”

Maybe she didn’t do it, Marlon thought to himself again, but then he heard his father calling him.

“I’ve got go but I’ll be back.” He waved goodbye to her. When he got to the bottom of steps he bumped into Klaus.

“Oh, sorry,” said Marlon.

“Wait,” commanded Klaus and Marlon turned around to face him, staring into Klaus’s cold blue eyes.

“What were doing up there?” he asked Marlon.

“I was observing the giantess,” he replied.

“Were you talking to it?”

“Why do want know?”

“It’s dangerous,” Klaus replied.

“She seemed fine to me.”

“She?” asked Klaus. “Don’t ever refer to that thing like that, it killed hundreds of people.”

“So have you, doesn’t that in some way make you a murderer?”

“When we do it, it’s for a cause; the end always justifies the means. Now leave me.”

At the dinner table, Tillinghast noticed that his son’s persona was much lighter than usual. He seemed at ease. There was no aura of angst like earlier.

“Well, son,” said the king. “What’s with the mood swing?”

“I think I might have found girl I’ve been looking for.”

The king restrained his excitement but Marlon could easily some of it in his eyes. “Does she live here in the kingdom?”

“She’s just visiting.”

“I see. Is she staying for while?”

“Maybe.”

“Beautiful?”

“Very.”

“When can I meet her?”

Marlon tensed up. He wished his father hadn’t asked that question. He had never lied before and he didn’t want to start so he simply said, “I’m going to have to check with her to see if it’s okay.”

“Very well, I don’t see the reasoning though.”

A wave a relief came over Marlon and he went back to finishing his meal.

“By the way, what’s the girl’s name?”

“Raquel.”

“Nice name, what’s she in bed?”

Marlon was caught of guard and nearly chocked on his food. “What?”

“Ah, you haven’t got that far yet I see.”

“Father, what the hell is wrong with you? Are desperate for grandchildren or—?”

“I’m sorry son, I just thought—oh never mind, I swear I find it impossible to relate to anyone younger than me.”

“We both like fencing, right?”

“Well, that’s true. Oh dear, I’m losing my mind. I certainly wish Cathy was here to—”

“I know, Dad,” interrupted Marlon. “Remember you’re no the only who misses her.”

That night while everyone else slept, Marlon waited patiently for every last light to go out. When that finally occurred he snuck out of the castle as quietly as he could and made his way to the dungeon where Raquel was being held. He looked around a corner and saw that there was once again the same guard as before.

Does he ever take a break? Marlon thought to himself. His question was quickly answered when the guard slowly dosed off into a deep sleep. Marlon then crept past the sleeping guard and made he was up to cell window. He peered through the window and saw Raquel.

“Hey,” he whispered.

She glanced up, smiled and reached out her hand. “Come on” she said gently and Marlon complied, jumping into the palm of her hand. She then manoeuvred her arm down toward her upper body.

“Thank you for keeping your promise,” she said.

“No problem,” he replied. “There are so many questions I want to ask you.”

“Well then, ask away,” she said.

“First off, where does your kind live?”

“We live underground in special underground cities; the one I live in is called Macico.”

“Really?”

“Yes, really. You see we carve our homes from the living rock and contrary to what your friend says, it doesn’t take days to make these cities, it’s more like a couple of weeks. But your friend was right when said that we eat dragons.”

“Amazing, how do you find them?”

“They always have a tendency to attack human villages and kingdoms so they’re easy to find.”

“So basically you save these people from certain death?”

“I guess you can say that. We don’t mean to do it but I guess it’s an emotional bonus for us.”

“How do you prepare it then?”

“Well, first we skewer it then roast it over an open fire. We then apply a sauce to it we get from beans we grow in our gardens called soybeans.”

“Interesting, I’ve never heard of soybeans.”

“The Elves are the ones who discovered them, they love to explore strange new lands and bring all sorts of exotic foods.”

“Fascinating, I don’t know of a single human kingdom that trades with the Elves.”

“Why not? Your people seem to have good relations with them.” asked Raquel.

“I don’t know,” replied Marlon. “I guess they might be afraid of what they’ll get.”

“Well, they’re missing out on something special,” she smiled.

“Tell me, when your people make their cities, are there any ramifications to the surface environment?”

“You mean earthquakes?”

Marlon nodded his head.

“Yeah, we do some damage here and there but we have this motto: ‘We break it, we remake it.’ Any time we do any damage to any other civilization’s property, we aid in the reconstruction.”

“My, that’s generous of you.”

“Anything to avoid conflict.”

Just then Raquel saw a human sized door to open. Raquel quickly stuffed a surprised Marlon into her cleavage for hiding.

“Stay still,” she whispered.

Two guards brought a long wooden stake about 20 feet across. Impaled on that stake were five human bodies, all recently deceased.

“Not again,” Raquel said with a tear in her eye. Marlon poked his head out of her cleavage and saw the ghastly sight.

“What the hell is that?”

“My food,” she said bitterly. “They have it in there heads that I eat people so this is what they give me.”

She picked the grotesque stake up and threw it out the cell window.

“My dear, I’m sorry that they treat you this way. I will talk to my father in the morning about this.”

“Are you sure that’s a good idea?” asked Raquel as she pulled him out of her cleavage.

“Trust me,” Marlon replied. “He’s the king of these lands.”

“Wait, you’re a prince?”

“Yes, is there a problem with that?”

“No, not at all, but your father is the one wanted me caught, right?”

“Actually,” said Marlon. “It was all Klaus’s idea. When the news of two villages being destroyed by a monster reached us, Klaus volunteered to catch whatever did it.”

“I see.”

“And they caught you.”

“Indeed,” replied Raquel.

“Now sorry about this,” said Marlon. “I need to go back to my bedroom.”

“Wait, stay here, I wouldn’t mind some company while I sleep.”

“But what if they see us, what if—?”

Raquel put her finger on his mouth.“Trust me” she smiled and wrapped her arms around him. Marlon felt Raquel’s body envelope him, creating a feeling of safety and euphoria. The sound of Raquel’s beating heart added to the mood and the two of them finally went to sleep.

Dawn came. The two mismatched lovers awoke and Marlon was instantly in a panic.
“I need to get back to the castle,” he stammered. Raquel quickly placed him on the windowsill and waved goodbye. Marlon waved back and quickly ran off. He ran into the castle and began making his way to his room when the guard called out.

“Sire!”

“Yes?” asked Marlon as he stopped.

“Your father needs to see you.”

Oh boy, Marlon thought to himself. He made his way to the throne room where his father was waiting for him on his throne and standing next to him was Klaus.

“Son,” said the King sternly.

“Yes, father?” responded Marlon nervously.

“Klaus has informed me that this girl you spoke to me at the diner table was in fact the giantess we have captive?”

“Yes.”

“And that you’ve…” the king paused. “…slept with it during the night.”

“Yes, but we didn’t actually, you know…”

The king sighed. “I don’t know what to do about this, son. This just puts me in a very awkward position.”

“Sire, I have a suggestion,” said Klaus.

“Well, let’s hear it,” replied the king.

“Execute him.”

“What?” shouted both the king and his son in shock.

“He has betrayed us by sympathizing with the enemy. By all means, he should die.”

“You’re talking about my son!”

“I am talking about a traitor who is now serving a monster that wiped out a village full of innocent people.”

“She didn’t do it!” cried Marlon.

“Shut up!” yelled Klaus.

The king got of his throne and walked over to his son. “Did she tell you herself?”

“Yes,” replied Marlon.

“Sire,” panicked Klaus. “It’s not too late, we can kill both of them now. There are new automatic rifles in the armory and I have trained men who know how to operate them and—”

“Klaus,” snapped the king. “You are dismissed.”

“But sire—!”

“I said you are dismissed!”

Klaus left the throne room enraged.

“Now, son,” said the King as he calmed down. “Let me see her please.”

They stood outside the dungeon. The guard began to open the door. Soldiers stood nervously with rifles at the ready. The door fully opened and the soldiers crouched down in their firing positions.

“At ease, men” ordered the king.

“But sire,” one of the soldiers called out. “What if—”
“I said at ease” the king responded quickly and followed his son inside. Raquel focused her attention on the new guest her lover brought in.

“Raquel,” said Marlon. “This my fa—”

“Don’t worry, son” interrupted the king. “We’ve met.”

“Very well then,” said Marlon and he stepped back. The king walked closer to Raquel.

“So, you’re the one who stole my son’s heart.”

“You have a problem with that?” Raquel asked sternly.

“I have a proposition; I well let you go if you can give me proof of your innocence.”

“Well then,” said Raquel. “There’s someone who can provide it. His name is Carlyle, he’s a wizard who specializes in the art of psychometry.”

“What?” asked the king, baffled.

“He can read minds just by touching ones hand.”

“Ah, I see.”

“He lives in a cottage in the mountains of Abston.”

“Alone?”

“Yes.”

“Very well,” replied the king. “I’ll tell send one of my men to fetch him, but don’t worry he will not be harmed.”

“Thank you,” said Raquel.

The king exited the chamber and Marlon walked up to his giant lover. “So, what do you think of him?” he asked her.

“He’s actually very reasonable.”

Marlon nodded his head and then asked “Tell me more about this Carlyle. How long have you known him?”

“I’ve known him for three years and he’s a very nice man but he prefers socializing with people of a different species.”

“He must a curious fellow.”

“It’s not just that,” said Raquel. “He doesn’t seem to like his own kind.”

“Why?”

“I don’t know but I think it’s because of the limp he has, plus he doesn’t like to talk about his past.”

“Do you look at him as a friend?”

“Very much so, he likes to visit my family sometimes. I remember he once said that ‘we were what humanity should be like.’”

“Fascinating” replied Marlon.

Raquel then called for the king. “Your majesty!” she cried out. The king quickly rushed back in the dungeon.

“Yes?”

“Can I please be let of the dungeon now? It’s so cramped and I trust you and your men to fetch my friend safely. Can you please trust me?”

“She has a point father” said Marlon.

“Very well,” said the king. “It’s only reasonable I suppose.”

He walked out with his son and commanded “Open the gate!”

“But sire—” cried one of the guards.

“No questions,” snapped the king.

The guards reluctantly turned the crank that slowly but surely opened the dungeon’s gate and out stepped Raquel in all her massive glory and beauty. The townspeople who heard the cranking of the gate ran over and stared in awe at the free giantess. Raquel stretched her limbs with satisfaction.

“Man, does it feel good to be out of there,” she cried out. “But my oh my do am I hungry.”

Almost everyone in her vicinity fled for their lives.

“Damnit,” she sighed.

“They just need to get to know you bit, Raquel,” said Marlon.

“I guess but damn, I’m hungry.”

“Well, I’m not sure what to offer you,” said the king. “Farms are doing very poorly this year and we’re low on livestock.”

“Why is that?” asked Raquel.

“There is this dragon that comes all three middle days of the week and oh dear, it’s Wednesday isn’t it, son?”

“It is indeed, Father,” replied Marlon glumly.

“Well then,” said Raquel with a sly grin on her face. “When does he come?”

“At sundown,” said the king. “Why do you ask?”

“I think I know what to eat,” she said.

“She can’t be serious, can she?” the king asked his son.

“She’s dead serious,” replied Marlon.

The king turned and saw people were coming out from hiding wielding pitchforks, axes, hunting rifles and all manner of makeshift weapons.

“Oh dear,” said the king. He turned to his son and said “Marlon, summon the guards, I don’t want a mess of things here.” Marlon nodded his head, quickly ran for the barracks. The king move up face the crowd and shouted “Halt! What is the meaning of this?”

“Have you lost your mind?!” cried the leader of the mob. “You’ve let that thing loose!”

“Please,” cried the king “Everyone settle down. I’m king the king of these lands and I have reason to believe that the giantess here is innocent.”

“You’re mad!” shouted another one of the townsfolk. “Just look at her, do you not believe she could have power to have done it?”

“I do not doubt she had the power to do it, I doubt if she had the mind set to do it.”

“How can you even bring yourself to defend it?” shouted back the leader of the mob. “She isn’t even like us!”

“So that’s what your argument comes down too?” asked Raquel “I’m not human and therefore I must be the one who did it?” She shook her head in disbelief. “Very well, give me your best shot!”

The mob responded with gunfire. The bullets however were nothing more than mildly irritating pinches on her skin. Other mob members charge at her with their mealy weapons but once again to no avail. Even the sharpest blade they wielded couldn’t shed blood. The royal guard led by Marlon quickly rushed in but the king raised his hand and shouted “Halt, let her handle this.”

Raquel then responded to her attackers by picking up the leader with her thumb and index finger by the collar and hoisted him up to her face. The mob immediately stopped and were paralyzed wit fear for the man’s life.

Her little captive squirmed and was swinging a machete madly. Raquel snatched his weapon and dropped it to the ground. “Let me down!” he snapped.

Raquel responded dropping him into her other hand and held him in her palm. “Is this better?” she asked cheekily.

“Hardly,” the man responded bitterly.

“Honestly, you think I’m the greatest threat to you. Don’t you people have a dragon to deal with?” Her captive’s expression turned from that of hate to one of attention. She then looked down at the mob and said, “If you want to get rid of it, I’m the one to do it and all I ask for is to no longer be confined to that horrid dungeon.”

“She has a point,” called out Marlon.

“She may be our only chance to end this nightmare tonight.”

Raquel placed the leader of the mob down gently and said, “Go along home now.” The mob then nervously receded.

“How long do we have to wait for this thing to show up?” Raquel asked the king.

“Not long,” replied the king grimly.

Night fell on the kingdom. Soldiers stood in guard towers with submachine guns, rifles and machine guns at the ready pointing them at the sky. Raquel scanned the sky and caught a glimpse of a large flying animal.

Here it comes, she thought to herself. The greenish pale-skinned dragon had four limbs with talons for hands and feet. Its neck was long and serpent like and it had red eyes and a beak for a mouth. The dragon shrieked and dived down toward the guard tower and smashed it, scooping up two soldiers while others fired wildly at the creature. Raquel leaped up in the air and grabbed the creature by the neck and slammed it to the ground. Its two captives quickly got away from the creature as it arose, tail thrashing about damaging buildings.

It charged at Raquel and attempted to slash her with its talons. Raquel responded by punching the monster in the chest and then body slamming it. Soldiers continued to support her by firing at the dragon. She grabbed the creature’s head and slammed it to the ground several times but the creature got up again, bit her right arm and started on there. Raquel slammed her left hand on the creature’s head and it eventually let go. She then grabbed the jaw of the dragon and opened it up until there was loud satisfying CRACK. She then stomped on the body until it stopped twitching. Townspeople, soldiers and finally the king and his son were amazed.

“Now,” said Raquel, “who’s hungry?”

“Klaus!” called out the king as he knocked on the door of the barracks. “Klaus!” The door swung open and Klaus was present.

“Yes, sire?”

“Join us, please” said the king. “We’re celebrating Raquel’s victory over the dragon with a truly lovely feast.”

“Good for you,” replied Klaus coldly.

“Come now, we’re having a lovely time.”

“Leave me out of it,” snapped Klaus. “Sire, must you let it run amuck in your kingdom?”

“But she saved us.”

“She’s an abomination.” And with that Klaus slammed the door shut. The king knocked on the door rapidly but eventually gave up and headed back to the feast. There Raquel was roasting the skewered dragon over an open fire, cutting off chunks of meat and giving them to the people at her feet. He joined his son in the dining.

“This is delicious,” said Marlon his father nodded in agreement.

“Who taught you how to cook much less take on a dragon by yourself?”

“My father,” replied Raquel as she ripped off one of the dragon’s limbs and took a bite out of it.

“He must be quiet a fierce man,” said Marlon.

“He can be,” replied Raquel. “But for the most part he’s very laid back and pleasant around little folk.”

“By the way, Father,” said Marlon. “Why were you late to join us?”

“I was trying to get Klaus to join the feast but he refused.”

“Where oh where did you find that man?” Raquel asked the king as she bit into her dragon leg again.

“He came to the kingdom five months ago. He said he was looking for a job in the military so I let him join my royal army. He was a fierce fighter and over time he worked his way up the ranks until he finally reached second in command.”

“Interesting,” said Raquel, “but that doesn’t excuse what he did to me.”

“I understand, my dear, and I’m dreadfully sorry for the man’s xenophobic perspective.”

“That doesn’t even begin to describe him,” said Marlon.

Raquel nodded and they continued their meals. “I must say,” said Raquel to the king, “you are quite a lenient and fair ruler.”

“My wife Cathy helped me with that,” replied the king. “She was always there to support me and help whenever I had trouble with something.” He ended his sentence with a depressed sigh.

“Something wrong?” she asked.

“I’m sorry to say this,” said Marlon. “But she died a couple weeks ago.”

“Oh dear.”

“Shot in the head to be precise. We haven’t even caught the killer.”

“I’m sorry to hear that.” replied Raquel.

After finishing their meals and before they went to sleep, Raquel asked the king, “Would you let Marlon marry me?”

“My dear, I’d let my son marry a Harpy if it would make him happy.”

*******

The next day one of the chamberlains delivered news that Carlyle had arrived at the request of the king.

“Send him in,” said the king and with that the doors to throne room opened, revealing a rather tall man about 6 foot with a cane, wearing black clothes complete with a black cape with a sinister raised collar. The king would have felt an aura of dread if it weren’t for the man’s face. His expression showed melancholy and discomfort as he entered the throne room.

“Welcome,” said the king but he got no answer from Carlyle. The king stepped off his throne, walked over to him, and extended his hand. Carlyle just looked at it and redirected his bluish green eyes at the king’s face again.

“I take it you want to see Raquel.” Carlyle nodded.

“Follow me,” he said. Carlyle followed him out into the city’s expansive garden which doubled as a park and saw Raquel laying on her back playing with some children. They slid down her arched legs, some swung in her hair, and others played king of the mountain on her breasts with Marlon. Upon seeing this, Carlyle smiled and let out a light friendly chuckle.

“Raquel, Carlyle is here,” announced the king.

Raquel sighed and said to her little friends, “Time to get off, sorry but I’ll back tomorrow.” The children did as she said and waved goodbye to here, Raquel got up and waved back to them and placed Marlon on her shoulder. She then walked over to the king and Carlyle. She picked up Carlyle and gently hugged him.

“It’s great to see you again,” said Raquel.

“Ditto,” replied Carlyle. He then saw Marlon on her shoulder and asked, “Who’s that?”

“He’s a friend,” replied Raquel.

“Let me see him up close,” replied Carlyle. Raquel placed Marlon next to Carlyle.

“Hi,” said Marlon. Carlyle didn’t reply however he did grab his right hand. Marlon grew nervous. Carlyle closed his eyes and seemed to involuntarily fidget for a minute and then stopped.

“Nice to meet you, Marlon,” said Carlyle.

“How did you—” Marlon stopped. “Oh wait, yeah.”

Carlyle chuckled again and said to Raquel, “Good choice for a friend. Now I’d like to talk to the king again.” Raquel let both him and Marlon down.

“Now your highness, when did these attacks happen?”

“Last week, the first one happened Thursday the next was on Saturday.”

“Very well, give me your hand.”

“Why?”

“I’m going to give you the proof you seek.” The king reluctantly presented his hand and Carlyle took it. He then gestured to Raquel to give him her index finger and she did. As they joined together Carlyle shook again and this time the king did as well. Once again after a minute, Carlyle let go of them both.

“Father, what happened?” asked Marlon.

“I did what’s called a ‘psychometric chain’,” said Carlyle. “If I take the hand of two individuals I can read one mind and share it with another.”

“What was it like?” Marlon asked his father.

“It’s hard to describe but in a nutshell, I now know what she did those days.”

“And what did she do?”

“She was at a wedding.”

“For three days?” asked Marlon.

“We have these phases to our weddings,” said Raquel. “The first day we socialize with our future in-laws. The second day is the wedding and the third day we celebrate at the newlyweds’ home.”

“So then, who did it?” asked Marlon.

“Do you have any of the victims’ remains?” asked Carlyle.

“There is one survivor, a 14 year old girl who’s being treated in the city hospital.”

“Well, then let’s go,” said Carlyle.

******

They brought the poor girl out to the hospital grounds and despite being in the presence of Raquel, she didn’t seem to react to her in any negative way.

“Hello,” said Raquel to the girl. “What’s you’re name?”

“Kim,” said the girl.

Carlyle turned to the king and asked him, “Where was she found?”

“My men found her at the site of the first attack. She was one of two people found alive, the other sadly succumbed to his wounds.”

Carlyle walked over to the girl. “Hi Kim,” he said smiling.

“Hi,” she responded.

“We think you might be able to help us, Kim,” said Carlyle. “And all you have to do is to give me your hand.”

She did and two seconds after putting their hands together, Carlyle let out a painful gasp and began convulsing violently. He screamed in pain and Raquel snatched him up out the girl’s hand but it didn’t stop. She held her shaking friend close to her as she and her companions watched helplessly. He then stopped and regained consciouness as Raquel set him down.

“I’m not surprised,” Carlyle announced.

“Well, was it an Ogre, Dragon, what?”

“Man,” replied Carlyle.

“What?” asked the king.

“People,” Carlyle snapped back. “The perpetrators were all painfully human.”

“Bandits?” asked Marlon.

“No,” said Carlyle. “These attacks were done with military style precision.”

“Well then,” said the king. “I’ll have my men search the country for these—”

“Sire,” called out a very familiar voice. The king quickly turned around.

“Klaus!”

He rode in on horse back and quickly dismounted.

“Just the man I need, I’d like—”

“Sire,” interrupted Klaus. “I don’t know what this quack has told you but please lock that thing up!” He pointed to Raquel. “It’s just buying time, waiting to attack!”

“Wait,” interrupted the king. “We’re did the girl go?”

“She fled back inside,” said Raquel. “Something must have spooked.” She then quickly turned her attention to Klaus as did her friends. Carlyle grabbed Klaus’s hand.

“What are you doing?” he snapped and then Carlyle’s expression changed from one of suspicion to one of rage and contempt.

“You were there, weren’t you?” he said. And with that for the first time the king saw fear in Klaus’ eyes.

“You lead them, you killed those people!”

Klaus quickly broke free of Carlyle’s grip and he drew his revolver. In response Carlyle raised his cane and the two became locked in a standoff.

“I can do more than read minds, my friend,” said Carlyle “And I suspect you don’t want to see what else I can do.”

“You did it?” the baffled king asked Klaus. “But why?”

“This man is the leader of the Sturmgewehr,” Carlyle answered.

“As in Nicolae Sturmgewehr?” asked Raquel.

“Yes, it all makes sense,” said the king. Marlon was completely lost.

“Wait, who is this Sturmgewehr guy anyhow?”

“He was a philosopher who came up with little concept called ‘one race’. He said that this world should belong only to the human race.”


“And he was right,” said Klaus.

“But why kill all those people?” asked Marlon.

“They were trading with the Dwarves and that was a big no-no for our friend here,” said Carlyle.

“It was obscene of them to interact with an inferior race.”

“Klaus,” sighed the king, “I can’t believe you take pride when you do this. Why use your talents for evil?”

“Evil?” asked Klaus. “You’re more senile then I imagined. Your concept of evil is actually true good. I’m a soldier of the Sturmgewehr. We are here to destroy all life that is unfit to live on this world. I find that good!”

“Why did you join us?” the king asked.

“I was hopping you could join us but I needed your trust. The Sturmgewehr set loose the dragon that plagued your town and I was to eventually kill it.”

“I stole your thunder, didn’t I?” said Raquel.

“Shut up, bitch!” snapped Klaus.

Enraged Marlon lunged at Klaus but Raquel quickly restrained him.

“Plus, there was the matter of your wife…” said Klaus.

“What?!” snapped the king.

“I caught her eavesdropping on one of my communications to my people. I couldn’t let her blow my cover.”

“I don’t believe this,” said Marlon with anger in his voice.

“Don’t blame me,” said Klaus. “She was going give my people’s grand solution some bad publicity and I couldn’t have that.”

The king could take no more; he grabbed Klaus by the throat and began to strangle him. Klaus however hit him with the butt of his gun, jumped on his horse and road off.

Raquel scooped up her three companions and quickly chased after him. She reached out her hands whenever she had him in her grasp but he always guided his horse out of the way.

As she chased Klaus (with her friends holding her shoulder for dear life) through the city, she did her best to avoid buildings. But the way Klaus dodged her attempts to catch him made her nearly destroy a few. The wall of city was nearly in reach. Raquel and the others saw Klaus climbing the wall rather skillfully. Before Raquel could snatch him, Marlon leaped of her shoulder and onto Klaus’s back. The two of them fell to the ground winded but both had a lot of fight left in them. Marlon slammed his fist into Klaus’s stomach.

“You killed her!” he cried “You bastard!”

“And you will now join her!”

Klaus quickly punched Marlon in the face and then shot him in the head.

“Give my regards to that whore,” he finished coldly.

A rage of negative emotions filled the king and Raquel. Raquel snatched Klaus up and held him tightly with her thumb nail up to his chest. Klaus has his revolver at the ready.

“Give me one reason why I shouldn’t gut you?” she said angrily.

“Raquel, wait!” cried the king “As much as I hate to say it, as of this moment, the death penalty is forbidden here.”

In response Raquel let him go, but not gently. Soldiers rushed to the king trying to find the location of the gunshot.

“It was him,” said the king as he pointed to Klaus. “Take him away.” And with that, the
soldiers escorted Klaus to the dungeon.

Raquel held Marlon’s lifeless body in her hand and a weeped quietly. The king’s grief was equal to that of the giantess.

“I’m sorry it came to this,” said Carlyle sadly.

“Bring him back!” snapped the king “You’re a wizard, bring him back!”

“Sire,” said Carlyle. “I may be a wizard but I am not God.”

The king, Raquel and Carlyle took the body to the side of Lake Solomon where Marlon would swim and fish with his friends. Raquel scooped up a chunk of earth and placed the body in the hole. Finally she placed the earth back in the hole.

“Well,” said the king to Raquel tearfully. “You’re free to go.”

Raquel gently hugged him and then let go. Along with Carlyle, she walked away with sadness.

The king rode back home on his horse. He was greeted by a panicking military captain.

“Your highness!” he said. “Klaus has escaped and has left you this note!”

The king took the piece of paper and began to read it. “I will return with my armies in two days. Prepare to die.”

“Prepare your men,” ordered the king. “They must be ready for anything.”

“As you command.”

The king then walked back into the castle and into his room. There he picked up his sword and pondered about what had happened. His people were in jeopardy but then again he let the enemy walk in freely, take advantage of him, and kill only people who had given his life meaning.

He put the point of the sword close to his chest and thought to himself, Should I join them?

Chapter End Notes:

Special thinks to Pixis for editing the story.