The Luck of Mt. Reikaku by Twinchy2Ember2Tian
Summary: A powerful village, resting on top of a large mountain in China, send two young girls on a quest to find and study the legendary Suzaku Stones for their power. But the stones abilities are more then what they bargained for and will change the outlook and history of the Stronghold from then on...
Categories: Adventure, Giantess, Slow Size Change, Instant Size Change Characters: None
Growth: None
Shrink: Minikin (3 in. to 1 in.)
Size Roles: None
Warnings: This story is for entertainment purposes only.
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 17 Completed: No Word count: 34252 Read: 92777 Published: February 21 2006 Updated: December 20 2006

1. Chapter 1 by Twinchy2Ember2Tian

2. Chapter 2 by Twinchy2Ember2Tian

3. Chapter 3 by Twinchy2Ember2Tian

4. Chapter 4 by Twinchy2Ember2Tian

5. Chapter 5 by Twinchy2Ember2Tian

6. Chapter 6 by Twinchy2Ember2Tian

7. Chapter 7 by Twinchy2Ember2Tian

8. Chapter 8 by Twinchy2Ember2Tian

9. Chapter 9 by Twinchy2Ember2Tian

10. Chapter 10 by Twinchy2Ember2Tian

11. Chapter 11 by Twinchy2Ember2Tian

12. Chapter 12 by Twinchy2Ember2Tian

13. Chapter 13 by Twinchy2Ember2Tian

14. Chapter 14 by Twinchy2Ember2Tian

15. Chapter 15 by Twinchy2Ember2Tian

16. Chapter 16 by Twinchy2Ember2Tian

17. Chapter 17 by Twinchy2Ember2Tian

Chapter 1 by Twinchy2Ember2Tian
Author's Notes:
This story originated from a long role play (that is still in the process) done by the author: Courtney and the editor and co-author: Joanna. Do NOT take title, comments, strong resembling ideas; do not copy and paste and post elsewhere without permission! Thank you. 

The Luck of Mt. Reikaku
Chapter 1
Author: Courtney
Editor: Joanna

Chapter 1
 
 
            The most beautiful time for the stronghold was just before sunrise. The abnormal colors of purple tinged green and red filled the sky; its shadows falling over the roofs of the tribe. One would hope to find peace and tranquility in such a place. Though at times it was, for the most part it was up and running on full force to defend or attack it's surrounding neighbors. The life of a bandit wasn't always easy, nor did it give one the feeling of accomplishment. Though, it always did depend on the reason.
            The stronghold, which proudly rested on Mt. Reikaku, was one of many holding places for bandits throughout the south. The only difference was...the stronghold lived up to its name. It was indeed the strongest of them all. The enemies that fought against the stronghold did it for glory. Survivors that fled after the long battles surrendered without distraught by the loss, but instead proud of the fact that they had indeed stood up to the mighty stronghold and lived.
            To be an ally toward the stronghold was quite an achievement. So it wasn't entirely uncommon to receive rookies who claimed they were strong and brave enough to fight on their side. Newbies always did tend to bring their own adventures with them. But one particular rookie far exceeded the expectations of the stronghold leaders, for she was certainly not the barer of good luck...
            Then again, without her...I suppose there would be no story. As a matter of fact, the day of her arrival is where the story begins...
 
            "Word from our observers is that she is definitely one of the best they have seen, especially for such a young age."
Kouji looked up from the map in front of him. "Perhaps so, but they also believed that ‘Tiro the Clumsy’ was going to be our best at the dagger."
Genrou nodded and sighed unsure. "Yes, that’s true. But I suppose we gotta somewhat trust their judgment at least."
"Maybe a test could be made for her?" Kouji rolled up the map and placed it in the holder beside him and stood up.
"Yes, I did think that. We still need the quest for the Suzaku Stones cleared up. The Bargole (close neighbors) claimed that the power from the forest up north from their hold is strengthening. They say that weird things have been happening among their people."
"That seems quite a difficult task for a rookie, Genrou."
Genrou stroked his chin in thought. "Yes. I do believe you're right. So we’ll send Soi with her."
Kouji snorted. "Yes. I'm sure she'd just love to take a newbie out on a leash."
"Well, she'll just have to suck it up. We need you here for multiple purposes of which ya know. I can’t go and I'd rather not have one of the guards take her. It's best for it to be a leader and 3rd in command sounds like a good position to take to the task. Right? What do you think?"
"Um, I think I'll let you be the messenger this time."
Genrou crossed his arms.
Kouji frowned at this, knowing he wasn't going to get anywhere. "No way."
"Kouji..."
"Genrou! Why me?!"
"Because I have other non-dangerous things to attend to that's why! Now go find her. I must tend to my ‘duties’."
Kouji rolled his eyes in protest but stood up anyway, heading out towards his own duties.
 
KNOCK KNOCK!! "Soi! You awake yet?! Get your lazy ass up! You have a task ahead of you!!"
Soi quickly sat up in bed and looked out the window. "Oh shit!"
She easily recognized the voice of her close partner outside her bedroom door. "Ugh! Hold it, Kouji! I'll be right out!"
            She quickly jumped out of her bed and ran to her closet and looked through her choices of clothing. She never had any desire to dress feminine in any way- in fact her entire wardrobe consisted of manly taste. She pulled out a white shirt that crossed over and held together in the front by a belt. Before getting dressed she did what she always did, she bound her large breasts to make them look as flat as possible. She did not give them any credit to her appearance and only found them a nuisance because they tended to get in the way of battle. Quickly, she pulled her shirt and pants on, finishing off with her boots, which she tucked her pant legs in.
Hearing an impatient Kouji outside her door once again, she smiled and opened it to let him in.
 
            Kouji's nervous appearance took on a new approach as he faced the 19-year-old girl. He knew that despite Soi's attempts to hide her famine beauty, she was the stronghold's golden fleece. There were only two other women at the stronghold, but she was the one who made at least one head turn no matter where she went. Her long midnight blue hair hung down nearly past her waist for she apparently forgot to braid it up due to the hurry she was in. Her bright, hard green eyes held little emotion but there was a fierily spark in them at all times. Kouji lowered his gaze to her long well toned legs, which made up most of her 5'9" stature.
            Soi crossed her arms at his silence and cleared her throat. "Isn't there something you want to say to me? Or did you just wake me up for the purpose of wanting to get your ass kicked?"
Kouji grinned at this and looked back up into her eyes. "Ah yes. Genrou has a job for you! He felt you'd be the perfect one to take it on."
Soi smirked at this and turned back to her room, letting Kouji follow her inside. She sat on her bed and began to brush her long hair, preparing to braid it, which took a bit of time. "So? You gonna let me in on it?"
"Oh! Er...yea. Well, you see...um.... we’re getting a new archer today."
"Oh really? Is he good?"
"Well, actually it's a she not a he."
Soi stopped brushing her hair and looked at him with a raise of her eyebrow. There were after all only a few women in the stronghold so far, of course. So, it was rare to hear of such news.
"I see...Well, is she good then?"
Kouji took a seat in the chair beside her bed. "Well, the observers seem to think so."
Soi snorted at this. "Yes well, they also thought that ‘Tiro the Clumsy’ would come to be our best at the dagger."
Kouji laughed. "Yes! That's what I said! So anyway, Genrou feels that a test would be appropriate for her to prove her abilities and so forth."
Soi looked up from her brushing and nodded, approvingly. "I totally agree."
"Yes, so Genrou felt she should take on the quest for the Suzaku stones."
"The Suzaku Stones?! Is he insane? Does he think she can actually do it?"
"Well, no not really. I mean he feels that it is quite a heavy burdened quest and all..."
"Ya think?"
"But that's why I've come to you. Genrou wants you to go with her, to help train her and so forth."
Soi dropped her brush on her bed and looked at Kouji with a blank expression. "No."
"Soi..."
"NO! I am NOT wasting my time on some little punk ass female rookie! No no NO!"
She crossed her arms in defiance and glared at Kouji in the face.
"Hey! Don't look at me that way." He raised his hands in defense. "This is Genrou's order. You'll have to take it up with him!"
"Fine! I will!" Soi picked up her brush and finished her braiding at lightening speed, then stomped out the door.
Kouji smirked and stood up to follow her.
 
"GENROU!" Soi made her way down the aisle of the dining room to the head of the table and flopped herself down next to him. "Genrou, how could you put me on a mission like this?!"
Genrou rolled his eyes. "Soi, I thought you wanted to take on the task to find the Suzaku Stones?"
"Well, yeah I did! And I still do! But not with a little tag-a-long!"
"Soi, if what I've heard is right, today we will be getting the greatest archer in the north! I need for her to prove her stability in as many situations as possible. I need her to go on the quest with you! Besides, you're the best one for the case anyway. You are a girl after all."
Soi frowned heavily. "So?!"
"There is no 'so' in this! You will do this. That is an order!" He placed up his hand to keep her from protesting.
Soi opened her mouth to do so anyway, when a guard appeared between them.
"Sir Genrou! The new archer, Kesbei Tian, is here, sir."
Soi raised an eyebrow. "Kesbei Tian? What kind of a name is that?"
Genrou ignored Soi's comment and smiled and looking at him. "Ah. Excellent. Go on now, tend to your duties."
Soi grumbled under her breath and gave Genrou a death look.
Kouji, who had been sitting on the other side of Genrou, beamed with excitement and jumped up from his seat, running out to see what this newbie was like.
Soi stood up and reluctantly followed.
 
            Tian nervously and somewhat timidly approached the gates of the stronghold. The two guards on the other side looked at her in question.
She swallowed and licked her lips, looking up at the strong appearance guards in awe. She had no idea exactly what came to play on the other side of the walls. Her father, a bandit himself, had told her tales of his experiences in battle and such. He had been teaching her how to use a bow since the day she turned two...and she definitely had a knack for it since the beginning. They were the only times her father wanted to spend time with her. Her father was cruel and hard, having lost many friends in battle, it made living with him hard. Her parents always fought, she and her mother were almost always beaten. Tian had learned to stand up for herself, but she was not cold. She had not let her father get to her in that stance; but she was strong and determined.
            Bracing herself once more, she nodded to the guards. "I am Kesbei Tian, an archer from the north. I have been asked to come here. Could you um...please let me in?"
            The guards smirked at her politeness but opened the gate for her anyway. Tian took in a deep breath and walked in unsure, keeping a tight grip on her bow.
            Nearly all eyes were turned upon her as she walked through. Tian wasn’t the strongest looking there was and wasn't even dressed for the part. Her traveling attire consisted of a black mini-dress with long dark green sleeves and a matching belt around her middle. Her knee-high black boots covered her equally dark green tights from the knee down. Half of her dark green hair was pulled up into pigtails on the top of her head while the rest of it rested on her shoulders.
            A couple of the guards covered their mouths to keep from laughing at her appearance. Her 4'10" stature didn't do anything to help the situation. Despite her appearance, she was no push over and she would soon let them know that if she got the chance. Ignoring them, she continued to walk forward until she heard a voice calling to her from off to the left. She turned and watched as a guy who looked like someone of importance ran up to her.
Kouji approached her happily and eyed her up and down. "Hello there! Welcome to the stronghold! My name is Kouji!" He held out his hand for her to shake.
Tian took his hand and shook it solemnly, looking up into his smiling face. He stood about 6'2" and had fantastic blue hair that hung around his shoulders. A light scar ran across his right cheek and met near his dark green eyes that sparkled with excitement.
Tian nodded up to him. "Nice to meet you, Kouji." She curtsied lightly getting more laughs from the guards nearby. "My name is Tian."
Before he could respond, Soi appeared beside him and raised an eyebrow down at Tian.
Tian gulped slightly looking up into the hard eyes of the newcomer. Her expression seemed a bit cold and she crossed her arms, looking down at Tian who was nearly a foot shorter than her.
"Genrou expects me to take this with me on a quest to find the Suzaku Stones? You've got to be kidding me."
Tian found her voice and spoke. "The Suzaku Stones? What are those?"
Soi closed her eyes and took a deep breath before opening them again. "Wow. This is going to be grand. Listen up, girly...I suppose you don't know of Suzaku where you come from. Here, he is our god. And you will show respect for him."
Tian nodded, understanding. She had never bothered to show respect or even acknowledge any of the gods, but better late than never.
"Well, my name is Soi. And I suppose I'll be your guide for today."
Tian smiled a bit and offered her hand. "I'm Tian."
Soi eyed Tian's hand but didn't shake it. "Whatever. Come on then, girly. Genrou wants to see you." She turned and headed back towards the dining hall.
            Tian clutched her bow harder to herself, feeling she had fallen into something terrible. Kouji stood beside her and wrapped a friendly arm around her, pulling her close. "Don't worry! She acts all tough like that a lot, but really she's just a big softy. Haha."
Tian nodded again, falling silent, and let Kouji lead her to the dining hall.
 
"Ah! There she is!" Genrou stood up and acknowledge the small girl beside Kouji. "Welcome. I've heard quite a few good things about you. I hope you live up to them."
Tian smiled slightly. "Thank you. I hope to live up to them as well. I have heard many great things from here. It is an honor to serve here in the stronghold, sir. I hope I will do it proud."
"Aha!" Genrou laughed and turned to Soi and Kouji. "I like her already. Anyway, has either of these two idiots informed you of your test?”
"Um, I believe so. The Sakuku...I mean the Sakakuzu...the um..."
Genrou raised an eyebrow but still kept a smile on his face. "Suzaku?"
"Yes! The Suzaku Stones?"
"Yes, yes. The Suzaku Stones. Soi will be your guide while on your quest. You will look up to her for questions and leadership, etcetera."
Tian looked up at Soi who kept her eyes on Genrou. "That won't be hard to, sir."
Genrou laughed. "Good. Then it is settled." He turned to face everyone in the room. "LISTEN UP!"
Everyone fell silent after a few moments. "Listen! I know you have all heard of the mystery of the Suzaku stones! No one knows where they are or what powers they harness. But we do know that our fellow neighbors feel there is something happening in the forest near their hold...the former resting place of Suzaku." He turned to Tian and held out his hand towards her.
Tian cautiously took it and let Genrou pull her over to stand in front of him.
"This is Tian. She is a great archer from the north. She is here to help in this case! Tian and Soi will leave in a few hours to go find out what is wrong and possibly figure out the mystery of the Suzaku stones! So, wish them luck!"
Tian blushed as everyone in the room either clapped or cheered to them.
Once the noise died down, everyone took a seat. Kouji patted the seat next to him while eyeing Tian, and she gratefully sat down next to him.
Genrou looked at Tian carefully. "Now, Tian, you must remember now that you're here...this isn't just about having a great shot and good at hunting animals and such. You do realize the dangers do you not?"
Tian nodded. "I do, sir."
"Good. Soi will provide you with a sword and dagger for the close fights ahead."
"I already have a dagger, sir. I will use no other; It was my father's."
Genrou smiled. "Of course, that’s fine! But you will need a sword. Do you know how to use one?"
"I have used one before yes. Though I am ashamed to say I'm not the best at it."
Genrou laughed. "Well, not everyone is. But as long as you feel you are handy enough with it, that's fine by me."
"Yes, sir. Thank you, sir."
"Great! Soi, take her to the armory. It's time for you two to be off."
 
Tian followed Soi closely as they walked into a hidden room down the veranda. The walk over remained silent and Tian felt extremely uncomfortable but decided not to push it.
Soi walked over to a couple of swords lying on a table and picked each of them up one by one. Finally feeling one light enough, she walked back over to Tian who stood in the doorway and handed it to her. "You're awfully small; you don't want anything to bulky on you. It will way you down in battle."
Tian frowned a bit but took it anyway.
"And here, put these on!" She handed her some thick leather skins to wear over her clothing.
Tian eyed them but shook her head slowly. "If you don't mind, I'd rather not. It is best for an archer to be light."
Soi smirked and rolled her eyes. "Well, they're not that heavy. I didn't think you were THAT scrawny."
"I am not scrawny! But those do tend to weigh one down."
"Well...put them on anyway. No need to get all cocky and get yourself killed."
Tian huffed but put them on anyway. She didn't want to put any more of a wall between Soi and her then there already was.
"Alright! Come with me." Tian followed Soi as they walked down the veranda once more and into a normal looking bedroom.
Soi waved her hand around. "Welcome to my wonderful room. It isn't the cleanest in the world but whatever."
I leaned next to the doorframe and watched as she went to her closet and pulled out two bags, one she laid on her bed, and the other she tossed to Tian. "Put your supplies in that. It's lighter than your bag, I'm sure."
Tian walked over to the bed beside her and pulled off her own bag, taking her stuff out and putting the necessary ones in the bag Soi provided. Once she was finished, she sat down in the chair from which Kouji sat in earlier, and watched as Soi finished packing.
At one point, Tian's eyes widened as Soi reached under her bed and pulled out a long spear type thing with a blade about a foot and a half in length on one end and a powerful looking dagger on the other.
"What is that?!" Tian pointed, amazed.
Soi actually smiled a bit at her astonishment. "This is a Naginata. This end..." She motioned to the long blade. "...is good for, ya know, the slashing and decapitation of things. And this end..." she pointed towards the dagger. "Is good for...well, stabbing."
Tian nodded, impressed.       
Soi placed the Naginata in a sheath on her back and pulled on some thick leather skins herself and threw her cloak on. She slung her bag over her shoulder, placing a sword in a sheath on her belt.

"Alrighty then, girly, let's go." She led the way out the door with Tian tagging along behind her.

Chapter 2 by Twinchy2Ember2Tian
 
Chapter 2
 
            Surrounding the outside of the gate were miles of forest. Soi knew these woods by heart and never had any trouble making her way through them. Tian, however, found that she was prone to stumble and get whacked in the face a lot by the gripping branches of angry oak trees. This Soi found amusing, but kept it to herself. For the first day on the quest...neither of them spoke.
            Tian was feeling more and more nervous by the minute. She desperately wanted to carry on some kind of conversation with Soi so she could get her mind off of what might lie ahead in the woods or even beyond them. But she did not want to anger her leader and get even more on her bad side.
After nearly six hours of walking, the two found themselves in a clearing.
"We’ll camp here for the night." Soi turned to her smaller companion. "Stay here while I go look for wood to start a fire."
            Tian nodded obediently and dropped her bag onto the ground. She groaned as it let it fall from her shoulder; for she had been carrying it like that all day and she could feel the deep dent that it had left in her tender skin. Gently, she took off her quiver and laid it down along with her bow, then collapsed onto the ground, leaning back against a tree.
"I can't believe this...of all the times...the people...the things to do.... I get stuck with this pussy trying to find something that I have no idea what or where it is. We could be out here for months!" Soi grumbled obscenities under her breath and scooped up the best chunks of wood she saw. Collecting enough, she made her way back to the clearing and dumped all of it down in front of the startled girl.
"Wake up! You want to eat, don't you?"
Tian, who had been half unconscious, sat up immediately and looked up at Soi. "I'm sorry. I guess I'm just not used to walking for so long. It tired me out."
"Yeah, well you'd better get used to it." Soi reached into her bag and pulled out a piece of cloth.
Tian watched curiously as Soi unwrapped it to reveal a raw piece of meat. Her mouth watered at the look of it even though she wasn't sure what kind of meat it was.
Soi looked over at her, smirking. "Look good to you, girly?"
Tian nodded. "Yes, ma'am."
Soi reached into the same bag and pulled out a splint. Tian eyed her as she walked over and set up the makeshift splint, sticking the fresh meat on it. She then went about making the fire by striking a stone against a wooden boundary. It lit immediately much to Tian's amazement.
Soi sat back, whistling a happy tune and turning the splint. "Well?"
Tian looked over at her. "Well what?"
Soi looked up and caught Tian's eye. "Aren't you going to go catch you're dinner, girly?"
Tian looked genuinely shocked. "Oh. But I thought..."
"You want to eat? You gotta work for it. I caught this...this is mine. Go on now."
Tian frowned heavily and stood up, grabbing her bow from her side. She took only two steps back into the woods before she spotted something a good 10 feet from her perch. As quick as lightening, she pulled an arrow from the quiver on her back, positioned it into the bow, and fired. "Bulls eye."
Soi looked up from her cooking as Tian darted into the woods to claim her prize. She emerged a few moments later dragging a young doe behind her. She smiled proudly to Soi. "AND I'd be very willing to share this with you."
 
 
            Night grew quickly in the deep woods. The tall trees already blocked a good deal of the sun out. All the creatures who rummaged in the daytime quickly ran to their dens or hideouts to escape the dangers of the creatures of the nightlife.
Tian looked about frantically while sharpening her arrows on a smooth rock she had been carrying with her in her pack. Owl's hoots and wolves’ howls could be heard in the distance and she shuddered inwardly at the night ahead.
            Soi leaned with her back against a nearby tree and watched her nervous companion with a blank expression. The two had to get an early start in the morning if they wanted to get anywhere. "Enough, girly. Rest up. We have a ways of travel tomorrow if we are to make it to the north woods."
Tian placed her newly sharpened arrows back into her quiver and eyed Soi. "Alright. But would you please stop calling me, girly? I do have a name you know?"
"A name? There are more important things to remember than names" Soi rolled her eyes and slumped down onto the ground near the fire and closed her eyes, ignoring the girl's glare.
Tian sighed in defeat and scooted down to the ground as well, curling up against the cool air and shuffling closer to the fire. Soi seemed to be out cold already, soft snores coming from her direction. Tian, however, knew she would not being falling asleep for some time. She wasn't so spoiled that she could not endure a night on the hard ground; it was the awkwardness of the situation. But, nevertheless, she soon drifted off in sleep that was not near as deep as her teacher.
 
SNAAAAAAAAP!
Tian sat up like a dart and frantically looked around. The branch that had been broken further back into the woods was done by a creature larger than she would have liked. She quickly snatched up her bow and quivers and waited for an indication of intruders near their camp. Tian's keen sense of sound picked it up easily....voices. Voices, that didn’t seem intended on letting the two bandits alone in peace. She turned to wake Soi but stopped herself...If it is just a false alarm, Soi will never let me live it down. And with that, she trotted off into the woods on her own. She quietly and skillfully pulled out an arrow from her quiver and positioned it into her bow. The voices grew nearer with each step she took. A few paces later she spotted the fiends. There were about 15 of them surrounded by the darkness. Their armor reflecting off by the moonlight cause Tian's eye. They were bandits as well...thought definitely not from our stronghold. Though their voices were plainly heard, Tian could not recognize a single word. Their language was different...they could not possibly be allies of the stronghold. Before she could react, they quickly fled in the opposite direction. Tian blinked and traipsed forward looking ever which a way for the intruders. But they could not be spotted.
"Damn."
 
Soi stood with her back against a tree, gazing into the woods. Footsteps carelessly tromped towards her. She counted at least 10 of them...all men by the heaviness of their walking. She held her Naginata in a tight grip to her chest. They were getting close...very close. Her eyes wandered over to the spot where Tian was supposed to be. The little tramp had headed off by herself. Soi snorted. It figured.
The sounded of a blade being pulled out of its sheath could be heard right behind the tree Soi stood in front of. Soi grinned, feeling excited of the battle about to form. "Give your best shot, pig."
She quickly spun around and ducked as the sword swung over her head, missing her by inches. The bandit leaped out in front of her and swung at her again. She quick ducked again and spun, holding out the Naginata and letting the blade end slash into the bandit's stomach, spilling his intestines.
Five more bandits leaped out into the opening, surrounding her. Soi quickly stuck the dagger end into the ground and hoisted herself up, kicking two of the men in the throat, making them fall instantly.
Unfortunately, as quickly as the two men fell, they were replaced with three more. "Damn." Soi cursed, slightly doubting her ability to take them all down. They were all heavily armed and seemed well trained enough. Two of the bandits on opposite sides approached. Soi quickly pulled the Naginata out of the ground and swung the blade, decapitating one while penetrating the other with the dagger end. Before she could react to the approach of the others, a dagger whizzed from deeper into the forest and grazed her arm. "Aaargh!" She quickly grabbed hold of the small wound to stop the blood flow. She tightened the grip on her Naginata with her free hand and glared at the eight bandits gathering around her. She spit on the ground in front of them and took the spear with both of her hands, slicing the blade across one man's chest, decapitating another, and shoving the dagger in another man's unmentionables.
Two men managed to grab Soi from behind, explicating a few obscenities from the banditess. The largest of the remaining bandits slowly approached her and began yelling at her in an unrecognizable language, not even Soi who was fluent in most of the surrounding tribes understood. The bulky bandit laughed and slapped her across the face, continuing to lecture pointlessly.
ZEEEEWIP
Fellow bandits gasped as their leader looked down at the arrow sticking out of his chest...and then fell unceremoniously to the ground. A second arrow struck through the head of the bandit to the left, holding Soi in place. As he fell to the ground, Soi quickly used the dagger end to puncture the throat of her second captor. Tian appeared in the clearing quickly loading her bow and firing at the remaining bandits. Soi smiled, watching the idiots fled in "terror" of the two girls. Tian stopped firing and walked forward, grinning at the fleeing bandits as well. "YEAH NICE TRY YOU MOTHER FUCKERS!!! WOOO!" She laughed and lowered her bow.
Soi rolled her eyes and sighed but left a bit of humor in her expression. "Yeah, yeah...nice shots, girly." She looked up quickly as the snapping of a twig caught her ear. "TIAN! DUCK!"
Tian gasped and quickly launched herself down onto the ground. Soi threw her spear, the dagger end making contact with the new foe, sending him sprawling on the ground dead. Tian quickly sat up and looked behind her to the bandit still in the pose to strike her down. She closed her eyes and breathed a sigh of relief. "Eh...thanks." She quickly clamored to her feet.
Soi nodded. "Don't mention it, girly."
"Ah! Now don't start that again. You just called me Tian. You remembered it! Let’s keep the flow going eh?"
Soi looked down at her companion. "I did no such thing. Now get your stuff, girly. We had best be off."
Tian sulked but reached down and scooped up her bag anyway. "Why are we leaving so early?"
"Are YOU going to be able to get any sleep?"
"Well...not really...but-"
"Then we're off. It's almost sunrise anyway."
Tian fell silent and rushed forward to keep up with her. "Oy...this is gonna be a long journey."
Chapter 3 by Twinchy2Ember2Tian
 
 
 
Chapter 3
 
 
            It didn't take long to get out of the thick woods that had imprisoned them in the night. By the time they reached the full clearing, the sun shone brightly over the hills. The two travelers found themselves in a small wasteland of mountains; and the only way through them...was over them.
Soi quickly led the way up the small narrow path which seemed to go on forever. Tian followed closely, getting the knack of being on her feet all day.
"Soi? Permission to speak?" Tian muttered, somewhat sarcastically.
"Shoot." Soi seemed to miss the tone in her smaller companion's voice.
"Where exactly are we going? You said that no one knows where the Suzaku stones are. So, how do we know where to look?"
"Well, there is a tribe of allies near the north forest where the oldest and most sacred resting place of Suzaku lies. They say things have seemed abnormal there. Something from the woods that seems thick and hangs in the air around them. They believe that there’s something very powerful there...though, I don't know for sure if it is where the stones are. But that seems like the most obviously place to look."
Tian nodded and was about to reply when her foot made contact with an unseen rock and she found herself sprawled out on the ground face first in the dirty. Soi turned and chuckled as the girl sat up and quickly spat out a chuck of mud.
"Aaaaack! Man, what happened to the path?"
Soi smiled. "This is where the smooth ride ends...and where the bumpy begins." She waved her hand forward, motioning to the large boulders that lay ahead of them.
Tian, still on the ground, looked forward in disbelief. "We have to climb over all that?"
"Yup. Up ya go." Soi reached down and easily pulled the smaller girl to her feet.
Tian kept her gaze to the rocky terrain with a grimace on her face. Soi noted this and nodded. "No worries. It's really not as bad as it looks. Come along."
Soi immediately ran forward and vaulted herself up onto the nearest boulder and skillfully hopped from one to another.
Tian's mouth dropped open, watching her. She seemed to move without any trouble at all...in fact, almost seemed like she was dancing across the area. Tian walked forward and tried to vault up onto the first one, but wound up falling backwards onto the ground. She sighed and stood back up to see Soi standing on the boulder above her and grinning down at her.
"Yeah, yeah. Don't rub it in." She quickly wiped the dirt from her backside.
"Me? Rub it in? Pffft. What makes you think I'd do something like that?" Soi crossed her arms over her chest and laughed.
Tian looked up at her with hands on her hips. "Well, miss 3rd in command, might I acquire some help?"
"Not with an attitude like that."
"Fine! I'll just stay here then!"
"What did you just say?" Soi put a hand to her ear. "I don't think I heard you properly. Your voice was drowned out by the angels coming down and singing the hallelujah chorus."
Tian crossed her arms. "Very funny. I don't think Genrou would take kindly to you leaving me stranded out here in the middle of nowhere."
"Right, of course. The thought of Genrou being mad at me is so devastating! Especially considering the fact that he is always mad at me anyway! That and the fact that I could very well kick his ass if need be!!" Soi covered her mouth in a mocking gasp.
Tian's face remained emotionless as she gazed up at her guide. "Please?"
"Well, since you asked nicely." Soi reached down and took both of Tian's hands in hers and hoisted her up onto the boulder. "I believe this one is the biggest of 'em. Which is all well with me. I hope you don't plan on me carrying you the whole way there."
Tian glared at her and shook her head. "I'll be fine the rest of the way, thanks."
Soi shrugged and went back to her skipping along the rocks. Tian followed but at a much slower speed. She couldn't seem to get the hang of climbing onto another boulder without slipping.
Soi continued traipsing through the rocky terrain, stopping every once in a while to let her companion catch up. Finally, after about two hours of climbing, the two made it to the top of the small mountain. Tian walked over and stood beside Soi, looking down at the rocky slide in utter despair.
"Oooh." She groaned. "How am I ever gonna manage that? I couldn't even get the hang of it when they were on level ground."
Soi patted her head and grinned. "It's not as hard as you think. Just remember to make sure your feet always hits the very center of the rocks. Then, if you manage to stumble or slip a bit, you'll still be stable. Got it?"
Tian looked up at her incredulously.
Soi rolled her eyes. "Oh come on. Just do what I do."
And with that the taller girl slid down a small ways to the nearest boulder and hopped up onto it. She then carefully hopped down onto the one below that and turned to look back up at Tian. "Come on!"
Tian managed a small smile, glad to have her teacher actually help her out and encourage her. She cautiously took a step forward and slid down the same way, climbing onto the boulder when she reached it.
Soi turned back around and hopped down onto the next one, allowing Tian to follow one rock behind her.
Tian was beginning to get the knack of it and found herself catching up to Soi quickly. It was only about half an hour before they reached level ground at the foot of the mountain. Soi closed her eyes and breathed in a deep breath of air. She opened her eyes and slowly exhaled, smiling broadly. "We've made it! See? There's the village just up ahead!"
Tian narrowed her eyes, peering through the fog that surrounded the tribe. "Phew! Yay! No more mountains!"
"Nope. At least not right now anyway."
"Whatever. Come on!" She ran forward, her eyes set on the small tribe before her. She was very much craving civilization due to being alone with a bitch for the last day and a half.
Soi quickly caught up to her and they entered through the gates into the market place. Soi grinned and looked about at all the interesting merchandise being sold from the small tents set up in the area. "Now then...let's find out where this holy cave is located, eh?" She pointed towards the south area of the market place. "You go ask over there. I'll rummage around here and see what I can come up with."
Tian nodded and headed towards the south entrance. This particular end was selling things like scarves and necklaces...all the pretty girly things. Girly...ugh! Tian rolled her eyes and looked around, trying to spot someone who would look like they knew what they were talking about.
"Hello there, child."
Tian spun around and looked ever which a way. Normally, she wouldn't have thought anything of it- thinking whoever it was, was addressing someone else. But a chill that had entered her spine upon hearing the words made her quickly realize that she was the one the person was talking to. Her eyes fell on a soft maroon tent, hidden away in the corner of the village. The outside of it was bare and the inside looked pitch black. Very cautiously, she made her way towards it, peering inside. "H-hello? Did someone call me?"
"Why yes, dear! Over here."
Tian walked forward a bit more, letting her eyes adjust to the darkness. Her eyes fell on a plump old woman sitting behind a small table. She didn't look like anything special. But there was something about her that made Tian feel like she deserved her respect.
"Come over and have a seat, child. I sense something very peculiar about you."
Tian remained glued to the spot but addressed the old woman kindly. "If you don't mind, I'd rather not. I'm on a mission and must tend to it. My guide will be looking for me anyway."
The old woman nodded. "Yes. Quite a grand mission you are on; one that will change the course of your life as you know it." She said matter-of-factly and picked up a handful of what looked like sand from a box sitting beside her and sprinkled it onto the table.
"What are you talking about?" Tian was beginning to feel freaked out and slowly backed away making her way out of the tent.
"The Suzaku stones have a strange power indeed. A power that Suzaku imprisoned in the stones himself! He felt it had no purpose. But he was wrong. The effects of them are great."
Tian's eyes widened at what she was hearing. "How did you know..."
The old woman smiled and stood up, approaching Tian who backed up in response.
"Be cautioned, young one. Your journey is perilous. Though the troublesome events may not happen just yet...you will bare Suzaku's unwanted power. And you will curse those around you!"
"What are you talking about?"
"Suzaku did not merely plant a power in those stones...he planted a bit of himself. His cursed side that leaves the forest beyond this village in great loss. Be warned, my dear, or you will bring upon the stronghold the curse of Suzaku himself."
Tian looked at the crazy woman in front of her and frowned. "Stop it! You don't know what you're talking about, you crazy wench! Leave me alone!"
She turned and fled out of the tent, heading back towards the north side, quickly trying to get away from the eerie scene.
Soi leaned against the gate entrance and waited as Tian drew closer. She looked down into her eyes and tilted her head.
"Are you alright?"
Tian looked up at her silently and nodded. "Yeah. Just got harassed from some freaky old woman is all."
Soi laughed and stood up to her full height. "Well, we'd best head off. The forest is to the east of these walls. If we hurry, we can make it to the cave before sundown."
Tian nodded and the two walked out of the village and headed towards the wooded area a few mere yards from the walls. Tian groaned slightly about having to go through more forest, but at least there were no mountains. She pulled her bow from off her shoulder and loaded an arrow in it just in case. Soi pulled her Naginata from the sheath on her back as well and entered the forest with Tian a step behind her.
To their amazement, they reached clearing in only a few short paces. Neither complained of course and the two walked forward towards a small stream. Soi bent over, looking down at the water. "Hmmm. Doesn't look very sanitary."
"Of course it doesn't. Look how muddy it is around it?"
"Yeah. And there's something odd looking about it as well. It even has a weird smell to it." Soi inhaled briefly and grimaced. "I wonder..." She stood up and let her eyes travel down the stream. "Aha!!" She grinned at the sight of the cave a few yards away from them. "Come on! Quickly!"
Soi took off towards the cave with a startled Tian on her trail. Upon reaching the mouth of the cave, Soi frowned.
"This doesn't seem right. It's not really a cave. It's almost more like a canopy."
Tian caught up to her and looked into the cave. "It's only a pool."
Soi nodded. "Yes. I know." Movement caught the corner of her eyes and she looked down the stream anyways. A young deer walked cautiously out of the woods and over to the water, looking over at the two bandits in uncertainty. Feeling safe enough, the deer bent down and began to lap at the fresh looking water.
A few moments later, the deer straightened up...and disappeared!
Tian gasped. "What happened?!"
Soi shook her head in complete bewilderment, shock filling the expression on her face. "I don't know. It just...disappeared."
"But...why?"
Soi's eyes traveled down to the water in front of her. "The pool."
The two exchanged glances and knelt down by the pool, gazing into it cautiously. Hundreds of shiny jems looked back at them. Soi gasped and a grin spread across her face. "The Suzaku Stones."
Chapter 4 by Twinchy2Ember2Tian
 
 
 
Chapter 4
 
 
Tian gazed into the pool, her eyes lit up in recognition. "The Suzaku Stones...holy crap. I mean...we actually found them?!"
Soi nodded and slowly stood up as she kneeled beside her. "It's them alright. It has to be."
She scanned the water with her eyes, thinking deeply, Tian looked up at her in
confusion.
"Well...let's just get them and take them back to the stronghold, right?" Tian carefully lowered her hand towards the water.
"TIAN! NO!"
Tian jumped as Soi grabbed her by the scruff of her shirt and pulled her back onto the grassy area beside the stream.
"What the..." Tian glared up at her guide. "What was that for?!"
"Don't touch the water, you stupid girl! Didn't you see what happened to the deer?"
Tian sat up and brushed herself off. "Well, that was because it drank it."
"We don't know that for sure; it’s best if we don't touch it for now. Stay right where you are- I'm going to go find a stick. Perhaps we can pull one of the stones out with it."
With that, Soi turned back towards the woods and sprinted into them.
 
Tian turned her gaze back to the pool in front of her. The reflection from the sun bouncing off of the stones caught her eye and she scooted closer to the water's edge. Her true green eyes brightened to a brilliant red-ish color as own her reflection shown back at her. Her eyes burned into the water intensely, looking right into the stones hidden underneath it. She gasped as a small scene began to play before her eyes. It was a great battle of titans and gods. Weird creatures she had hoped she would never have to see fled through her mind. Her nightmares crept up behind her and she shuddered, reaching out a hand to keep it from coming any closer...
 
Soi trotted quickly but calmly between the trees trying to find a stick at least somewhat decent. All the good strong ones were too short and all the long ones were just too skinny and flimsy. She sighed, about to give up, when her eyes fell on a tree branch just up ahead only hanging by a thread (figuratively speaking). Smiling, she quickly pulled her Naginata out of the sheath and darted forward. Leaning up, she snagged the tip with the branch with her blade end and it easily fell to the ground.
"Well...that was easy enough." She bent down and took hold of it then hefted it up onto her shoulder. As fast as she could while handling the ridiculously heavy thing, she made her way back to the pool.
She stopped immediately upon entering the clearing and dropped the heavy branch onto the ground.
"HEY, GIRLY! WHAT DO YOU THINK YOU'RE DOING?!"
Tian had her arm extended, her hand near the water's surface, still entranced by the scene in front of her. Upon hearing Soi's cry, she found herself back in reality and jerked her hand away.
 
"TIAN!" Soi clenched her fist with angry at the stupid child ahead of her.
Tian stood up quickly and spun around to face her superior. The quickness of her turn and the wet grass easily made her slip and lose her balance.
"Soi! HELP!" With a final cry Tian fell back into the calm pool quickly sinking to the bottom.
 
"TIAN!!!" Soi ran forward and quickly kneeled by the pool's edge as black foam rapidly clouded over the water like the spray of a squid. As much as she tried, Soi could not see beyond the darkened surface. "Tian, Tian...come on..."
After a few moments she slowly stood up and took in the surrounding landscape. She closed her eyes, her heart beginning to ache for her fallen pupil. Though she had acted as though Tian was just a nuisance, she really had no bad blood against her. She was just an innocent girl...she didn't deserve this fate.
The sound of rough water splashing shattered her thoughts and she looked a little ways down to the stream. "TIAN!"
Soi quickly sprinted over to her as she completely surfaced, coughing and sputtering, "Come on, Tian! Get out of there quickly!"
"H-help me please!! My clothes are weighing me down! It's hard to stay up!" Tian's eyes filled with tears at the realization that she would probably either drown or die from the wretched curse of the Suzaku Stones which were surrounding her in the pool below her floating form.
Soi looked at her in amazement and then quickly turned to spot the branch she had brought only moments before. She rushed over and plucked it from the ground.
"Here! Take hold of this!"
She neared the waters edge and pushed the branch out to her companion. Tian quickly took hold of it and sighed with relief as Soi pulled her back to safety onto the land.
Tian quickly crawled back away from the pool until she was up against a tree and she soon found herself hugging it.
Soi rolled her eyes and shook her head at the display. "You idiot! I told you not to go near it! Why were you about to touch it?! I swear, Tian, you're definitely not on my list of..." She stopped as Tian suddenly collapsed into a sobbing heap.
"I-I'm sorry!!! I-I couldn't help it!! It w-was like someone was t-trying to get me to t-t-touch it!! It was all these weird images...like n-nightmares. They wouldn’t l-leave me alone!! I w-wanted them to go away! I wanted them t-to go away s-so bad!" She looked up at her leader. "Oh, Soi! What am I going to do?! It…it was all around me! And...and...it got all in my mouth. I drank it because I couldn't hold it any longer! Soi!! I drank it! Like the deer! I'm going to disappear!"
She covered her face with her hands and sobbed harder. Soi looked down at the girl in pity...she thought about giving her a hug, but just couldn't bring herself to do it.
"I'm sure you're not going to disappear, Tian. Everything will be alright."
"But what if won't be?!"
"I don't know, Tian. But nothing has happened yet, right? And the disappearance happened right away with the deer. Look, get out of those wet clothes- let's set up camp. We'll dry them out and you can put them back on later."
 
Soi placed her stuff down on the ground then reached into her satchel and pulled out a clean robe. "Here, but this on for now."
Tian wiped her eyes and slowly stood up. Her head seemed to spin a bit as she took the robe and laid it on the ground beside her. "Thank you." She reached down and grabbed the tip of her dress and pulled it up and over her head. She quickly kicked her boots off and pulled the tights off of her legs and over her feet. Eyeing Soi, making sure she was still preoccupied with setting up camp, she pulled the rope over her naked body and stood with her eyes closed.
 
Soi turned to look at her a moment later and smiled. "There! All better!"
Tian nodded and rubbed her temples with her fingers. "Yes. Thank you very much. I think I um...I think I need to rest though. I'm feeling kinda of dizzy."
Before Soi could reply, Tian collapsed onto the ground in front of her unconscious.
Soi gasped in surprise as Tian apparently fainted in front of her. She quickly and easily scooped up the girl's smaller body into her arms and carried her over to where she was to build the campfire. She carefully laid her body on the ground and propped her head up onto the nearby log, being careful not to touch her wet hair.
"Hmmm...such a fun day it's been." Soi shook her head in amusement and went about setting up the fire.
 
Tian woke up the next morning a bit groggy due to the sunlight pouring in through the trees and resting on her limp body. She slowly opened her eyes and sat up, immediately grabbing her head. "Oooh. My head." She groaned and turned over to look at Soi slumped over the same log, fast asleep. Tian smiled a bit at the sight- head bent all the way over the log, mouth opened wide, loud snores escaping, and a very unattractive pool of drool streaming down to one side. She shook her head in hilarity and reached over to her bow that leaned on a near by tree. Her brow furrowed with confusion at how heavy it seemed.
"What the...?" She couldn't even lift it at all!!- and it looked...odd.
 
She slowly stood up to keep her head from hurting anymore than it already was and prepared to take another go at being able to pick up her own bow. She gasped and immediately let it go as she stood upright. Her eyes widened at the sheer size of it! And the trees! She spun around. The grass! The leaves! The campfire!! She quickly leaned against the nearest tree for support. She looked at her surroundings once more and not able to control herself anymore, let out a scream of terror.
Chapter 5 by Twinchy2Ember2Tian
 Chapter 5
 
 
Soi jerked awake and immediately jumped to her feet with spear in hand. Though she was still half asleep, battle mode surged through her body instinctly as she looked to see who was screaming. Not seeing anymore much to her chagrin, she yawned and wiped the sleepy from her eyes and looked around her.
“.... Eh? Tian?"
She turned around, looking frantically everywhere getting a little bit worried. What if she had disappeared? Oh crap....
Seeing her nowhere, she slumped back down onto the log and put her head in her hands with perturbation.
 "...Tian? Come on this isn't funny!"
 
Tian watched with large eyes as Soi rose to her feet right in front of her. She craned her neck to look up at her; by the gods, she was HUGE! She only came about mid-thigh to her leader. She did her best to swallow down her fear and call out to her but couldn't bring herself to do it. She remained glued to the tree watching. Her already big eyes widened even more as Soi finally turned and spotted her.
Soi's eyes instantly match her companion’s. "T-Tian?!"
She couldn't believe what she was seeing. Tian obviously didn’t believe the situation either for when Soi stood up, she immediately squealed and ran back behind the tree she had found comfort in.
 
Not completely understanding the situation, Soi raised an eyebrow and walked to the opposite side of the tree where her frightened companion hid. Leaning her back against it casually, she crossed her arms and sighed, "What are you doing?"
Tian shriveled back, not being able to keep from crying. "W-why is everything so b-big?! Y-you're HUGE! Did you do this to me?! You did, didn't you?! By the gods, just because I-"
 
"WHAT?!" Soi interrupted the small girl's rambling and stepped around the tree towards her menacingly. "I didn't do anything to you! You're the freaking genius who jumped into the water!!! You suddenly thought you were in charge and decided you could do it on your own without thinking of the consequences! I said to use a stick and you decided to bob for them!- AHH! Yes everything is MY fault! Stupid girl! This is your OWN fault!" Soi looked her over. "You can't be more than like 3 feet...and you know what?! You DESERVE to be this way! So fuck this mission, fuck the Suzaku Stones, and FUCK YOU!"
 
Soi surprised herself with the outburst, but she really needed to yell at someone. Not only had they not been able to retrieve the Suzaku Stones to take back to the stronghold, they certainly weren't going to try again…she got the new archer cursed. They were definitely going to give her hell when they got back home. Glaring once more over to Tian, she stalked back over to the campfire and began rounding up her things, getting ready to head back.
Tian peeked out from behind the tree; she had never been so distraught in her life. She never realized Soi would haven blown up like that on her even with what she was going through. Would she ever get her height back?! Was it still affecting her? She didn't know...
Soi looked up suddenly at the sound of yelling up ahead. War cries…damn it. More bandits. She immediately dropped her equipment and reached for her spear...but instead her eyes met with the large branch still wading in the river.
"Hmmm..."
As they drew near, her eyes reflected onto their armor and its design. By that alone she was able to recognize them as Genbu Protectors- most likely of the Suzaku Stones hidden beneath the pool. Once the five of them came close enough, she grabbed the branch's end and scooped it out of the river, flinging it their way. Her eyes widened as a pinkish red stone shot out of the pool along with the branch and hovered its way over to the men. Everyone became still and silent as all eyes fell on its radiance. Soi remembering Tian's tale of the story she saw in the stones, immediately turned away and ran back over to her cowering companion. She ducked down behind the tree and pulled Tian down beside her.
The surprised Tian looked at her. "What's going on?"
"Shh! I think it’s..."
WHAFT!
The two girls jumped at the small explosion on the other side of the tree. Soi very slowly peeked out from behind the tree to see...the bandits were gone.
"What the...?"
She cautiously stood up and approached the area. "Where did you all go?" She stood with hands on hips and surveyed the area. Movement below her vision caught her eye and she looked down to behold five tiny bandits...no more than 8 inches high.
"Whoa...that's where you all went."
She carefully kneeled down in front of them as they quickly began to point at her and then scatter out towards the woods.
"Eh eh! Don't run! I have morals unlike you guys. I'm not gonna kill you or hurt you or anything. Get back 'ere. Come on...you can do it."
She smirked as the five scared-out-of-their-wits men huddled together and looked up at her with wide unbelieving eyes.
"Yeah. That's right. You Genbu bandits are idiots you know that? Don't you know this place is cursed?" She chuckled and winked down at them and then stood back up onto her feet. "Now don't go anywhere. Wouldn't want ya'll to get eaten by a snake or anything else horrific like that."
And yes- that pretty much got them to stay put.
 
Tian timidly walked out from behind the tree as Soi approached her. "Hey...you alright?"
Tian looked up at her and nodded. "Um...yeah. What happened? Where did those men go?" She looked past Soi to see if she could find any indication of them.
Soi turned and pointed towards the five 8 inch bandits. "Looks like you've got some bit of comfort...at least you didn't wind up THAT small."
Tian shuffled towards them in the oversize robe and stared down at them with wide eyes. "By the gods...what are you going to do with them?"
Soi followed her over and gazed down at the men with hands on hips. "I'm not sure. I suppose we could take them back to the stronghold..." The five men nodded their heads in agreement with her. "...Or we could just kill them..." The five men shook their heads frantically and actually began running around in circles, unsure of what to do.
Soi laughed loudly and looked over at her pupil and then her large robe. "Oh here...let me help you with that while we're at it. No uses having you stumble all over the place." She pulled a hidden dagger out of her boot and sliced large chunks out of the bottom of the robe and the sleeves, being careful not to harm Tian.
"Thanks. That really does help I suppose." She chuckled softly and hugged the robe close to her. "So we're going to kill these men then?" She looked down at them, cowering near her feet. "I wouldn't mind taking a stab at them. Fucking little idiots! Could have guarded the area better than that! It's because of them I'm like half my original height!"
 
Soi looked down at her incredulously. "Tian, I was just kidding. We'll take them back to the stronghold. Let Genrou and Kouji deal with them as they should."
Tian huffed as Soi bent down and carefully tried to pick up the tiny bandits.
"Grrr! Hold still you little um...diminished...men of your former...heights...." She quickly snatched them up into her hands and stood up, smirking down at them.
"Why don't you just kill them and get it over with? That's what bandits do right?"
Soi looked past the bandits in her hand to Tian. "You just want to kill them?! In cold blood?"
"Well, it's not like they're really men now..."
"By the gods...fuck, Tian!?! Look at them!" She thrust her hands out in front of her. "They're helpless now. And you just want to kill them for no damn reason?! Do you not have any morals or honor? How can you strike down someone that is not near any match to you?? If you think that maybe you aren’t fit to be in my Stronghold! Tian.... If you want them dead…YOU do it!" With that she opened her hands and allowed the men to tumble into Tian's.
 
Soi stalked over to the log and sat down on it, angrily picking up some of her things and shoving them back into her satchel.
Tian looked down at the five tiny lives cowering in the palms of her hand. It felt so weird holding them like that. Though their intentions were to harm the two of them before, it was obvious they couldn’t do it now. They really were helpless- plain and simple. She sighed and walked back over to where Soi sat, being careful not to jar her little passengers too much.
“I’m sorry, Soi. You’re right. I’m just not thinking clearly. This is just all so…weird. I mean I was already damn small to begin with! Did you see the way the guards made fun of me back at the stronghold?” She shook her head, frustrated. “Well, I can’t say it wasn’t a total surprise. Things like this tend to happen to me. Yes it’s true…congratulations. You’ve been stuck with miss unlucky the past couple of days. My whole life has been one big disappointment after another.” She chuckled a bit. “I was hoping by joining the stronghold, I could be cured of it somehow.” She gently set the five men down onto the spare blanket that Soi had yet to pack up and then sat down on the log next to her.
 
Soi looked down at her as she sat beside her. It felt weird looking down at her like she was; sure, she was short before, but now.... it was just strange. What was even stranger was seeing five small men on the ground at her feet. “Its okay, Tian. No one is just randomly unlucky. You’re not the only one with a bad childhood and such.”
Tian shook her head in thought. “No, it’s not just that. My family believed I was cursed to begin with. I believe they were somewhat right. My father was a good friend with a sorcerer who lived in our village. He used to love to sit down and talk with me and tell me stories. From the very first day he talked with me, I felt myself just feeling very strange. Almost like another part of me that I had been missing…became whole again. Since then, I’ve been ‘Tian the Unlucky’.” She turned and smiled softly up at Soi.
 
Soi pursed her lips in thought and looked down at the fire, amazingly there was still a bit of spark to it.  With just a toss of a small twig from her hand, it began to flame up again. Tian looked at Soi incredulously, making her grin.
“How do you freakin do that?!”
Soi laughed. “They can teach you a lot at the stronghold.”
Tian nodded in agreement. “I suppose so.”
“Well, I guess we’re here for the night and then we can head toward the stronghold or…any suggestions?” Soi turned to look down at her again.
Tian stared into the fire, which was beginning to blaze quite brightly, occasionally poking at it with a stick and forgetting about the five men currently occupying the ground before it. She sighed and rested her chin in her hand. “I dunno. I suppose we should go back to the stronghold. Maybe they’ll know what to do with them…and me.”
“Yeah. Genrou has been through a lot of shit. He’d prolly have a better idea about magic then I do.”
At the mention of Genrou’s name, the men on the ground stood up and looked at each other. Soi caught their action and grinned evilly down at them.
“Ahh. I see you know about Genrou and the Reikaku bandits, eh? Yeah that’s what you get for attacking us.”
Tian looked down at them and smiled. She suddenly felt bad for ordering their deaths earlier; Soi hadn’t let her forget about it neither.
 
“I suppose I shalln’t be allowed on any more missions….I most likely will be kicked out, huh? Not much they can do with a half-pint archer.”
“Well, I don’t know. I can’t give you an answer about that because I’m not sure what would happen. I know for a fact though that you’d always have a home at the stronghold.”
“Well, since there isn’t really a purpose for me there…I guess I could head back home. It’s kinda hard though....I’ve always wanted to be a bandit. My father was the lead archer of the tribe he fought for. He would always tell me these adventurous stories. It was so awesome! He’s been training me since I was old enough to hold a bow.” Using her fire-prodding stick, Tian started to dazedly draw random patterns in the ashy ground. “I suppose this has all happened for a purpose though…”
Soi looked down at her drawings in the dirt. “Don’t go home…you just got here, and you don’t know if Genrou can help or not yet. So stop thinking about it. "Nothing is for certain till we get back.” She raised her hand and patted Tian’s head comfortingly and then left it on her small shoulder. “Just don’t worry about it.” She smiled down at her companion (probably one of the first real smiles she had ever shown to her), “Just don’t worry about it…”
 
Tian nodded, smiling a bit herself. “Yeah. You’re right. Thanks.” She looked at the hand resting on her shoulder. It was huge in comparison and actually somewhat comforting. She shrugged and leaned against Soi, knowing it would make her uncomfortable, and looked into the fire. Its colorful flames and gentle growl brought peace to her and she found herself drifting off.
Soi shifted awkwardly for a second and looked down to see that the little girl had fallen asleep. Deciding not to wake her, she carefully laid out Tian’s body on the log so that the young girl could rest her head in her lap. Looking down, Soi noticed the men looking up at them and pointing and whispering among themselves…she knew what they were saying- perverts! She stomped her armored boot in front of them and they scatted to the other side of the log.
Soi looked back down at the sleeping girl in her lap and sat up more in an alerted position. In mere moments, she fell asleep with her eyes open…something Kouji had taught her how to do to prevent pick pockets and such from stealing anything.
The five men looked at the sleeping giantesses before them and then looked back at each other.
“Let’s make a break for it!”
“No way! Did you hear what the big one said earlier? Snakes?! I ain’t goin out there with no darn snake! It could swallow me whole!”
“He’s right! Best to stay put!”
“What are ya’ll?! Men or mice?”
“Well, technically…”
“Oh shut up!!”
“Really, I do believe we should remain here. Besides, it’s warm…and this blanket is awfully comfortable.”
“Shut up, Kyang.”
“By Suzaku, I’m out here with a bunch of housewives!”
“Besides, what if one of them wakes up and finds us gone? Wouldn’t they be kinda…mad?”
“Well, they seem very much asleep. We could just sneak away from them.”
“And just where would we go?!”
“Wait! Listen up! I have an idea! The Suzaku Stones made us this way when we came in contact with it, right?”
“Erm…well, yeah.”
“Of course.”
“Nah! Really!?”
“Listen! listen! Perhaps if we make contact with it again it’ll grow us back!”
“That’s the stupidest thing I’ve ever heard!”
“Wait, I believe he may be onto something. I say we try it!”
“No way!”
“I ain’t doing it.”
“Um…this blanket is very comfortable…”
“Shut up, Kyang!”
“Fine! You sissies stay here! And get controlled by the two harlots up there! Come, Menthro!”
The two bandits left their gang on the blanket of safety and wandered off over to the pool. It took longer than they expected…nearly 20 minutes. But that didn’t stop them. Finally making it to the pool, they turned back to the others and smirked. “See you top sized, boys!”
“I don’t think they can hear you, Hitzel.”
“Oh shut up and let’s just get ourselves wet.”
The two bandits leaned down cautiously and scooped up a handful of water and splashed it onto their face.
“Nothing is happening.”
“Hmm…perhaps we should try to intake it.”
With that they scooped up another handful of water and sipped the now gelatin-felt water.
The three remaining men watched their fellow bandits intently as they played near the pool.
“You think it’ll work?”
“I’m not quite sure.”
“If it does get them to normal size…they wont’ like…um…”
“Kill their fellow bandits? I would hope not! Surely they have some limits….”
“Well…I wonder if Menthro still remembers that whole potato incident…”
“Oh shut up already, Kyang.”
“By Suzaku! Look!”
The three men turned their attention back to the pool.
“They’re…they’re GONE!”
“They just…disappeared!”
“Um…maybe they moved onto a better place…”
“Kyang…”
“Right I know…shutting up!”
The men laid down on the blanket, trying their best not to think of their fellow bandits, most likely reduced even smaller and not able to really even exist in the world. After merely moments…everyone surrounding the odd looking campfire was fast asleep.
Chapter 6 by Twinchy2Ember2Tian
Chapter 6

 

 

 

 

 

TWOOT TWOOT TWOOT!! WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAKAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

 

"AAAAAAAAAH!" Tian sat up briskfully and rolled over, falling off the log and onto the ground. The three men, awoken by the scream, immediately bounded out of the way to keep from getting crushed.

 

Soi was awake and on her feet to the alarmed cry looking around quickly and cautiously.

 

The sound came again, but this time quieter. Tian buried her head in her hands and sighed. A bird. How completely STUPID! A BIRD had scared the living daylights out of her. How much more pathetic could one get. The bird's call earlier had sounded much more vast and threatening. But all in all...that's all it was. A BIRD! She looked up at Soi from her position on the ground and chewed her bottom lip sheepishly.

 

"S-sorry. I thought I was...well, something just startled me is all."

 

"Huh?" Soi, still half asleep, looked down at the girl and sighed. "At least it's nothing serious."

 

She sat back down on the log and rubbed her eyes. "Start gathering your things. We'll be leaving in about an hour or less."

 

 

 

Tian got to her feet quickly; ready to get out of the gods-forsaking place. She walked over to her sack which was now alien to her by its sheer size. She looked through it making sure everything was in place and nodded in satisfaction. Leaving Soi to her packing, she glanced over at her bow and quiver of arrows and frowned. Taking a deep breath of determination, she stalked over to them and took hold of the quiver's strap and pulled it with all her might...it didn't budge. She angrily dropped the strap and went for her bow, trying her best to pick it up...and failed.

 

Furiously, she shoved the two items away making them tip off the side of the tree and fall onto the ground. Wiping her eyes in frustration she looked back over to her sack...even that would be too heavy for her now much smaller body to manage.

 

Soi looked up from her packing as Tian's bow fell to the ground near her feet. She stood up and easily picked up the bow, placing it in her satchel, letting one end stick out.

 

"I'll carry your things for you. Just carry our new roadies for me." She placed the strap of her satchel over her shoulder and picked up the quiver of arrows and the sack. Since archers travel light, it was easy for her to manage both of their things.

 

Tian looked up at Soi somewhat angrily. She felt very much insulted at how the larger girl could carry both her things and her own. She sighed and walked back over to the spare blanket where the men had trotted back onto to.

 

"Alright, guys. Time to hit the..." She blinked and used her finger to count the men. Only three? "Where did the other two of you get to?"

 

The men looked up at her silently, a sad tinge in their eyes. "Well?? What happened?"

 

Soi looked over at Tian, impatiently. "Hurry up already. We need to get a move on."

 

"Two of the men are missing!"

 

"What?!" Soi walked over beside her and looked down at the blanket of three men. "Where are the other two?"

 

She narrowed her eyes as they remained silent. "Where?!"

 

Beginning to lose her temper, Soi bent down and scooped one of the men into her hand. The tiny man yelped in surprise and backed up towards her fingers as she glared at him. "What is your name?"

 

"K-Kyang, sir. Er I mean miss. I mean ma'am. I MEAN..."

 

"Soi. My name is Soi."

 

"Yes, ma'am. I mean Soi."

 

"Now what happened to your other men?"

 

"They're not my men...they ruled me more than I-"

 

"That's not what I meant. Where are they?"

 

"They uh...they went back to the pool. They thought that maybe it would change them back. But...they disappeared. I don't know what happened."

 

Soi closed her eyes and sighed, her breath washing over the cowering guy in her hand. "Bakas...Alright. Just the three of you then."

 

With that she scooped up the remaining two on the blanket and turned to Tian. "Hold out your hands."

 

Tian did so and Soi let them slide into her palms. "Come. We must be off."

 

Tian, not wanting to leave the men out in the open; she placed them into her makeshift jacket pocket and hurried up after Soi.

 

 

 

After a while of jogging, Tian leaned against a tree to catch her breath. "Couldn't...we maybe...slow down?" She looked up at Soi with pleading eyes. "It's hard...to keep up with you...at this size."

 

Soi rolled her eyes in protest but turned her head suddenly at the sound of rustling in the bushes up ahead and twigs snapping. She quietly walked back to where Tian stood and laid her satchel down next to her.

 

"Someone is here." She whispered and picked up Tian's bow and loading an arrow into it. Though she wasn't the best archer in the world, she knew how to get by with it. She aimed it into the bush and released it. The sound of the arrow hitting flesh and the yelling of its prey echoed through the forest. The rustling of the bush became louder as eight heavily armed men walked into the clearing.

 

Soi narrowed her eyes and dropped the bow, taking her spear out of the sheath on her back. "What do you want?"

 

She quickly grabbed Tian and pulled her back to stand behind her as the men advanced.

 

Tian gasped at the site of the men. Not only were they heavily armed...they were HUGE. Even if she was her normal size they would easily tower a foot and a half over her. She had never felt so helpless considering she couldn't even use her bow for defense anymore. Unconsciously, she grabbed onto the back of Soi's cloak and gulped.

 

Seven of the men stayed near the bush while one of them approached. When he was about 3 feet away, Soi looked up at him preparing for an attack.

 

"We know you killed them...now we want revenge!" The men in the back growled back in agreement with their leader.

 

Soi raised an eyebrow. "Killed who? The men that attacked two nights ago? Or the men who attacked last night?"

 

The leader glared down at her. "Don't get sassy with me, bitch. They were sent to attack you last night."

 

Soi stared at the man straight in the eyes in thought. She licked her lips as a smile slowly broke through on her face and she snorted a bit. Suddenly without warning she doubled over, laughing.

 

"HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAAAAAA!!" She bent over from laughing so hard and pointed at him. "You're the leader of those idiots?! HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!"

 

Tian looked at her incredulously and rapped at her backside to get her attention. "Soi...knock it off!" Her eyes darted back for the furious looking bandit back to her hysterical leader.

 

Soi swatted the air at Tian and stood back up to face the bandit, trying to control her laughter. "Look, no hard feelings. You can have them back."

 

The bandit growled. "What the hell are you talking about?"

 

"Okay look, your idiots jumped into the precious magical river. And well..." She thought a moment and then reached behind her and grabbed Tian, pulling her in front.

 

Tian's eyes widened as she craned her neck to look up at the confused bandit.

 

Soi patted Tian's head. "Show him."

 

Tian slowly reached into her pocket and pulled out the three men, holding them out to their leader.

 

Soi shrugged. "And this is what happened to them. So yeah. There ya go. Have fun." She carefully plucked the men from her small companion's hands and placed them into the bandit's.

 

"Let's go, Tian."

 

Soi turned and began walking back onto the path with Tian hot on her heels.

 

"WHAT DID YOU DO TO THEM?!"

 

Soi stopped abruptly, feeling a surprised Tian rush into the back of her legs and tumble backwards onto the ground.

 

She growled and turned back around to face the men again. "I didn't do anything! They ran into the river! Oh Suzaku, don't tell me you don't know about it either. Look, I didn't do it. You all know that the pool near Suzaku's cave is possessed with the stones. I assume you've never experienced what it did before, though. Well, there's your proof."

 

The leader glared down at the cowering bandits in his hands and then back to Soi. "Okay. We'll take our men back. And we'll give you no trouble." He looked back down at them again. "But as for you..." He picked up one of men with his free hand and dangled him in the air above his face. "As punishment for failing to protect the pool, you are banished from the clan." With that he flung the little guy away, sending him soaring into the air.

 

 

 

Soi's eyes widened at this action and she rushed to catch the poor guy but stopped as she spotted Tian spring forward from her position on the ground, brace herself against the trunk of a tree, and dove forward, catching the guy in her small hands and tumbling onto her back into a leafy pile on the ground.
The men chuckled approvingly and followed their leader back into the woods.

 

Soi walked over and lifted Tian up to her feet and took the small guy from her to check and see if he was alright. "Eh...nice catch."

 

Tian nodded, smiling slightly. "Thanks."

 

"What the hell was that about?"

 

Tian shook her head. "Beats me. Why did he banish this one dude? It wasn't really his fault. He didn't know. And on top of that, the others were just as responsible." She stood up on her toes trying to peer into Soi's hand to see if the guy was alright. Failing, she began jumping up and down repeatedly.

 

"I don't know. The clans around here are very barbaric and cruel. Look, let's just go."

 

She gently lifted the young man eye level and peered at him. She instantly recognized him as the one she scolded before. He looked as if he was about 20 or maybe even younger. He had dark brown hair pulled up by a head band and wore the usual leather vested armor with pants and boots. "Kyang, isn't it?"

 

He closed his eyes and nodded, distraught at what had just happened and a bit in shock at being thrown hundreds of miles (it seemed to him) into the air.

 

"Hey. We aren't going to hurt you, okay? You're on our side now."

 

Not getting a response, she lowered him back down to Tian who took him and gently placed him into her pocket.

 

"Let's go home."
Chapter 7 by Twinchy2Ember2Tian
 

 

 

 

Chapter 7

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

By late afternoon, the travelers had made it back to the small village they had passed on their way to the pool. Tian shuddered remember the old woman in the tent; It seems she had been right. Tian walked to the left of Soi as they passed the village to keep from being seen. It was bad enough being small as she was just with Soi and the rest of nature there, much less a whole tribe of people gawking at her tiny stature.

 

Soi would have liked to stop inside the market place to get something decent to gnaw on while they traveled, but thought it best that they stayed away from the public eye for the time being...at least until she could get Tian and Kyang to the stronghold to get examined. Hopefully, a cure could be made for them. Though it was Tian's own stupidity that got herself shrunk, Soi felt bad for her and even more so for Kyang. It had been her own fault that he had ended up the way he did.

 

As the couple reached the bottom of the mountain, Tian sighed loudly and leaned up against Soi in exhaustion.

 

"PLEASE tell me I don't have to climb this mountain. Please..."

 

"Well, I suppose it may be a bit more difficult to manage." She looked down at her tiny companion. "There is another way around the mountain, it'll cost us a couple more hours though."

 

"I'll take it! It'll take twice as long for me to climb that damn thing anyway."

 

Soi smiled softly. "Yes, I suppose it would. Follow me then."

 

The two turned east and began their trek into the woods beside the mountain's edge.

 

From the seven hours of walking out of the "enchanted" forest and the three hours of walking through the woods beside the mountain was taking their toll on Tian. She found herself practically stumbling almost drunkenly after her larger companion. She hadn't had anything to drink since before they reached the village nor eaten the whole day. Her throat was nearly dried up and she dreaded the thought of talking. Finally, she could take it no more. She leaned up against a nearby tree and just watched as Soi continued walking further and further away into the woods.

 

All Soi could think about was getting back home to the stronghold. She was tired of forests, tired of this mission, tired of thinking about how she was gonna get yelled at for not retrieving the Suzaku stones, and tired of having to wait for the little halfling behind her.

 

It was getting very late; the sun was already beginning to set. Soi knew the woods she was in very well for she had been often when hunting or fighting for the stronghold. There was a clearing up ahead...they could rest for the night and be home by tomorrow afternoon.

 

Soi stopped walking for a bit and turned around.

 

"We'll camp..."

 

She blinked when she saw no sign of Tian.

 

"Tian? TIAN?! Where are you?!"

 

She pulled her Naginata out of its sheath and ran back the way she came from, frantically calling the name of her pupil. Finally, she heard a gruff voice answer her back coming just a little ways ahead. She quickly ran forward and glanced down worriedly at Tian who was slumped almost pitifully against a tree.

 

"Tian, what are you doing? Come on, there's a clearing up ahead. We'll camp for there until tomorrow."

 

Tian shook her head weakly. "I ca...I can't. I've never walked so much in my life." She coughed dryly as her voice cracked.

 

Soi slowly pulled a canteen of water from her satchel and handed it to Tian.

 

Tian took it gratefully with both hands and tipped it back, downing the last of what was in it.

 

"Thank you."

 

Soi nodded and took the now empty canteen back. "You alright?"

 

Tian shrugged. "I don't know. I just feel so...tired I guess. And sore." She kneeled down to rub at her legs and, without warning, collapsed sideways onto the ground; luckily she did manage not to fall on the side which held the diminished Kyang.

 

Soi kneeled next to her and placed a hand on her shoulder. "I take it you're not alright."

 

"I'm sorry, Soi. I think I just need to rest a second. Then I'll be good as new."

 

Soi stood back up and walked over to stand in front of her. "Well, the clearing is just up ahead. You think you could at least make it there? Then you'll have all night to rest."

 

Tian sighed and looked up at her, silently.

 

"Ugh! Tian, come on! Don't be such a wimp! It's not that far."

 

"Please, Soi! Sure, you can say that! You're like 6 feet tall! And you have shoes!" She lifted her legs up a bit, indicating the bloody and scarred soles of her bare feet.

 

"It's just a little ways ahead. The quicker you get up and go over there, the sooner you can rest. Got it?"

 

Tian bowed her head and lowered her eyes to her lap. The thought of even moving didn't appease her at all. Even if it meant staying where she was for the night, she knew she couldn't get up to make it to the clearing.

 

Soi rolled her eyes but found she couldn't bring herself to actually forcing the girl back to her feet again. She calmly walked back over to her and wrapped her arm around the girl, bringing her towards her. She slowly reached into Tian's pocket and wrapped her fingers around the small huddled form inside. Bringing her hand out, she raised it to her face and uncurled her fingers to find Kyang amazingly sound asleep. She placed him gently into one of the side pockets on her satchel and turned back to her petite companion.

 

"Tian?"

 

Tian looked up at her with droopy, swollen, eyes. Soi smiled softly and wrapped one arm around her back and moved the other under her legs. Very gently, she lifted the small girl into her arms and stood up. She was surprised to find that Tian didn't protest. In fact, she hardly moved- just laid her head against her chest and let out an almost appreciative sigh before closing her eyes.

 

Soi carried her to the nearby clearing and gently placed her down on the soft ground. She also breathed a sigh of relief as she laid down the many bags that she had been lugging all day. Taking two blankets out of her satchel, she laid them out on the ground and took the still sleeping Kyang from the pocket and laid him gently in the middle of hers. She quietly walked back over to Tian and lifted her onto the other blanket, not surprised to find her already asleep as well. Soi smiled softly gazing at the two small people resting soundly before her. Her eyes glanced down Tian's body to her feet and winced from the sight of their condition.

 

Tian, having no alternative, had found herself having to walk all day through the different terrains with bare feet. The two had walked through sharp grass and rocks, dirty ponds, and twig and branch infested forest floors.

 

Soi raised her eyebrows, a bit surprised that Tian hadn't been complaining earlier. She reached over for her satchel again and pulled out a clean rag and another canteen full of water. She pressed the rag onto the mouth of the canteen and tipped it a bit; letting the rag soak. She scooted down and gently rubbed the rag across the bottom of Tian's feet, cleaning off the dirt and infection that had invaded the wounds.

 

Tian stirred slightly ever so often to let out a soft whimper or groan in her sleep, but exhaustion had taken its toll on her and she found herself not even able to wake up.

 

Soi set the rag down on top of Tian's sack and stood up to retrieve wood to make a fire.

 

Kyang yawned and slowly sat up, rubbing his eyes to take in the surroundings. He had yet to forget about what had happened to him and was a bit cautious to what predicament he would find himself in now. He blinked rapidly realizing that he was sitting in the middle of one of the soft blankets he had slept on before. It was dark in the area he was in and he looked around frantically to see where his keepers had gotten to. His eyes fell on the smaller of his two captives; sound asleep on the blanket beside him. She was breathing rather deeply and almost earnestly, as if she was in a very deep sleep, which was probably the case. But where had the other...

 

Kyang craned his neck to look up as the bigger girl walked into view, carrying an arm full of twigs and branches which she dropped in a pile down on the ground. She bent down and piled them correctly on top of one another then picked up a stone and striked it against the wood, immediately launching a flame into the wood.

 

Kyang raised his eyebrows, surprised at her ability to do this. He smiled softly, looking her up and down. She was quite beautiful and she had seemed awfully nice the last time she had addressed him. He slowly got to his feet and walked down off the edge of the blanket and cautiously approached her.

 

"Em...excuse me!"

 

Soi placed a few more twigs in the fire, watching blankly as the flames grew a bit more.

 

"EXCUSE ME!"

 

She blinked and looked over to the blanket which held Kyang...and realized he wasn't there. Shit! Where had he gotten to?!

 

"DOWN HERE"

 

Soi immediately looked down to the ground near her feet and raised an eyebrow. "Oh. Hey." She slowly knelt down to the ground. "What's up?"

 

Kyang blushed, intimidated of her presence. "I just wanted to thank you....for sparing me and all."

 

Soi smiled and nodded her head down to him. "Of course. As I said before, I have morals."

 

Kyang smiled back up and her and cleared his throat. "I don't mean to be burdensome...but I was wondering if I could trouble you for something to eat. I seem to have become foreign to the taste of food."

 

"Oh! Of course. I'm a bit hungry myself. I do have some bread in my satchel. But I believe I'm craving a taste for meat. How about you?"

 

"Meat sounds fantastic."

 

Soi smiled brightly. "Great! Would you like to accompany me?"

 

Kyang frowned, unsure. "Well, won't that be a bit dangerous?"

 

"Don't worry. I'll look after you."

 

"Well, thanks then. Sure I guess."

 

Soi nodded and placed her hand on the ground before him, palm up. He eyed it warily, but clambered on without hesitation.

 

Cupping her fingers around him, she slowly stood to her feet and grabbed Tian's bow and quiver, throwing them over her shoulder with her free hand.

 

"I suppose Tian will be alright here until we get back. We shouldn't be gone long after all."

 

She carefully placed Kyang onto her shoulder. "Best hold on."

 

Kyang nodded and grabbed a hold of the collar of her shirt. Soi smiled over to him and made her way back into the thicker part of the woods.

 

"So, tell me about yourself, Kyang."

 

Kyang blinked and looked over at her. "Pardon?"

 

"Tell me about yourself."

 

"Oh. Well, my name is Kyang and I'm a bandit."

 

Soi laughed. "Oh come on. You can do better than that. Where are you originally from?"

 

"Oh. Well, I lived up north with my parents!"

 

"Uh huh. And?"

 

"Well, my father was a bandit! And he wanted me to be on too! So he sent me to the nearest tribe so they could train me."

 

"And let me guess...you didn't fit their style."

 

"Not at all! They only kept me around because my father was like a legend to them." He shook his head in disgust.

 

"So I guess they were just looking for a reason to get rid of you, eh?"

 

"Yes. Letting someone make contact with the Suzaku stones was enough to get me punished. So they tossed me...literally." He sighed roughly and shook his head. "I never wanted to be a bandit in the first place. It was my father who pushed me into the whole thing. There's nothing I would love more than to go back home and take up agriculture."

 

Soi placed her hand beside Kyang to keep him steady as she ducked under a branch. "You want to be a farmer?"

 

Kyang nodded and grinned at the thought. "Yes! I'd love to be one! To be able to spend all day in peace; without battles and war and voilence.."

 

"...and action and adventure and excitement."

 

Kyang smiled. "To each his own...or her own. What about you, Soi?"

 

"Well, I've been at the stronghold for about 5 or 6 years now. I was made 3rd in command after...after the former died in battle."

 

She fell silent for a moment making Kyang think that there was more to the story than she was making known.

 

"So you're a leader then."

 

"Yes I am."

 

"And how about your little partner in crime?"

 

"Ah. She's new. There aren't many girls who join the stronghold. I suppose we are made to be a bit less trustworthy when it comes to being able to face the usual in a battle. So the 1st and 2nd command decided to give Tian a test...a mission to find the Suzaku stones. And they sent me along with her...to train her of course. Aha! Would you look at that."

 

Soi grinned and slowly pointed to the young doe up ahead. "Let's see what I can do with this thing."

 

She gently picked up Kyang and placed him in her cloak pocket then pulled the bow from her shoulder, loading an arrow into it. She carefully aimed the arrow at her prey. She fired and the shot was blown. "Damn it!"

 

Luckily the doe didn't seem to notice the first arrow and continued her eating. Soi quickly loaded another arrow into the bow and fired again, this time hitting her mark. Keeping a hand over her pocket, she darted ahead until she reached the fallen deer.

 

She reached down and grabbed the deer's legs, throwing it over her shoulders.

 

"Whoa! This thing is a bit on the chunky side." She smiled as she heard a small laugh come from within her pocket. She hefted the doe higher onto her shoulders and made her way back to the camp site. Very gently, she laid the doe down on the ground near the fire and pulled Kyang from her pocket, holding him in her hand.

 

"Whacha think about that one?"

 

Kyang smiled and turned to look at the dead deer. "I think it looks good enough to eat."

 

Soi laughed and walked over, gently setting him onto the blanket again. She stood up and turned back towards the fire...

 

"What the..."

 

She turned back around and looked down at Tian. Though she was relieved that nothing had come along and got her, she felt a little more than freaked out when she took a closer look and realized Tian had gotten smaller! She looked nearly half the size she was before!

 

"Oh Suzaku..."

 

Tian couldn't have been more than a foot and a half tall. Soi sighed in frustration and kneeled down next to her, placing her hand on Tian's tiny forehead.

 

"Well, she seems alright." She looked back over to Kyang who was looking at Tian in amazement. He too could notice the big...or rather small...change in Tian.

 

"Hmmm...I guess the stones are still affecting her."

 

"I guess so."

 

"Well, maybe she won't notice."

 

Soi looked down at Kyang with hands on hips and rolled her eyes. "Yeah. That's what will happen."

 

Kyang shrugged, sheepishly.

 

Soi slowly backed away from her shrinking companion and walked back over to the fire. "I guess I'll get dinner started."

 

"Sounds good to me! I'll watch over sleeping beauty for you!"

 

 

 

Tian whimpered from the tingling that had inhabited her body. She really didn't approve of the feeling. It was almost as if her whole body had fallen asleep and numb. She had supposed it was from all the walking she had done throughout the day. And on top of that she could clearly feel her feet which burned and ached like nobody's business.

 

She didn't care what it took; she was going to continue sleeping through the night! She deserved every minute of it! But there was something else she deserved more...FOOD! She could smell it. Meat! Being cooked over a roaring fire! She found herself not being able to stray from the temptation. Very slowly she opened her eyes and sat up.

 

"Mmm! What is that? It smells wonderful!"

 

Soi looked up as Tian, apparently awake, sat up and sniffed the air.

 

"It's uh...venison!" She smiled nervously, not having the heart to point out Tian's new stature.

 

Tian yawned and slowly got to her feet, wincing quite visibly. "Argh! Damn it! That hurts!"

 

"Yeah uh...might want to be careful there. Those are some nasty cuts you have."

 

Tian stretched and looked around the forest, smiling softly. "Where are we?"

 

"Not far from the stronghold. If we leave first thing in the morning we should arrive there by late afternoon."

 

"Oh good!" Tian frowned slightly, sensing something not right. She looked around the forest again, this time paying much more attention. Nothing seemed right in fact.

 

Kyang cautiously approached her, realizing that she knew something was wrong. "Tian! I've never properly introduced myself to you. My name is Kyang." He offered his tiny hand up to her.

 

Tian looked down at him. His once tiny figure now came to her knee. "Oh...oh no! By the gods, no!" She let out a cross between a whimper and a deep throat growl and collapsed back onto the blanket.
Chapter 8 by Twinchy2Ember2Tian
Chapter 8

 

 

 

 

 

"No no no no no no no no no..."

 

Tian had her face buried in her hands, continuing to chant her unbelief.

 

Soi had coaxed her to lie back onto the blanket as she dabbed her even smaller forehead with a wet rag.

 

"Tian, just calm down alright? Tomorrow we'll be back at the stronghold and Genrou and Kouji can figure out how to fix you."

 

Tian pulled her hands from her face and swatted the air at Soi.

 

Soi, in response, sighed in frustration and dropped the rag.

 

"Tian! Stop it! You're not making the situation any better!"

 

Tian slowly sat up and wiped her eyes, looking around. "By the gods, I'm so TINY! What if it continues?! What if I end up as small as him?!" She pointed accusingly down at Kyang who was all but ignoring the girl's distraught nature and enjoying a bit of venison.

 

"I don't know! That may be the case..."

 

Tian whimpered and threw her arms over her eyes.

 

Soi grabbed her small arms gently and pulled them apart, looking down into her eyes. "...but whining about it isn't going to help anything! So just shut up alright?"

 

Tian slowly sat up and fell silent in thought.

 

Soi picked up the small plate of meat and placed it down next to her. "And at least eat something. You'll need your strength for the walk tomorrow."

 

This made Tian groan again. "The walk tomorrow...I nearly died earlier today! And I was twice the size I am now!"

 

"Well, it isn't as far, alright? You'll manage."

 

She reached out and gentle wiped away an escaping tear from her tiny companion's eye.

 

Tian looked up at her and was almost surprised to find her smiling almost encouragingly to her. Before she could say anything, Soi stood and walked over near the fire, leaning against a nearby tree.

 

She looked down at the plate of food before her and began to tear at it eagerly. It had been all day since she had eaten.

 

Soi plucked a blade of grass from the ground beside her and placed it between her thumbs. She brought them to her lips and blew, whistling an unknown tune through the grass. She casually looked over to Tian and Kyang who were busy working at ripping the strands of meat apart and stuffing them in their mouths, eager for the taste of food. She lowered her hands, letting the blade of grass fall from her fingers, and continued staring at the two. It had yet ceased to amaze her how tiny Kyang was and how small Tian was becoming. Before, she was just out on a journey with a little tag-a-long, looking for a lost treasure. Now she had the responsibility of looking after two very small, very fragile lives. Neither of the two could do anything to defend themselves. It was up to her to keep them protected. And she vowed to do so.

 

Tian found herself getting full very quickly, much to her surprise and chagrin. She lowered the leftover meat back onto the plate and wiped her mouth with the back of her hand.

 

Kyang, who had finished moments before, gazed up at her and smiled. "That was some darn good venison if you ask me."

 

Tian looked down to him and nodded. "Yes. It was. I guess going all day without food will do that to a person." Her eyes softened immensely as she let them wander over him. "What's it like?"

 

"What do you mean?"

 

"What's it like at your size?"

 

"Oh! Uh. Well, to be honest, I don't think I've actually come to terms with it." He chuckled almost nervously.

 

Tian nodded, understanding and laid back down onto the blanket. "I can understand that..."

 

"Hey now..." Kyang stood up and walked over to her then sat down next to her on her blanket. "Don't be getting discouraged! I'm sure it'll all turn out okay in the end."

 

Tian slowly turned over onto her side to gaze down at him. "I know. I'm sorry. I'm not usually such a complainer." She blinked and looked away, a small smile creeping onto her face. "Well, okay. Maybe I am. But still!"

 

Kyang laughed. "Well, I'm sure no one can blame you. So, I suppose you have that right."

 

"Yeah." Tian covered her mouth with her hand to stifle a yawn then turned back over onto her back, closing her eyes.

 

Kyang eyed her for a bit then collapsed onto his back beside her, mocking her by closing his eyes and soon joining her in sleep.

 

Soi's eyes never left the two. She kept thinking of an owl swooping down and snatching Kyang off or a fox or small wolf bounding by and picking off Tian. She shuddered at the thoughts for she knew those creatures liked to feed while their prey was still alive and wiggling. Beginning to panic as the thoughts raced through her mind, she stood and walked back over to the blankets. She laid down on the far end of her blanket just in case she turned over in her sleep- no need killing the two off by using her own self. She then laid on her side so she could keep a watchful eye on the two all night. She knew she would not be able to sleep anytime soon, so she just focused on resting.

 

Tomorrow it would be finally all over. They would reach the stronghold and Tian and Kyang would be back to their original sizes. Kyang would travel home to be a farmer and Tian would take her place as an archer to help defend the stronghold.

 

 

 

Unfortunately, Soi couldn't have been farther off...
Chapter 9 by Twinchy2Ember2Tian
Chapter 9
 
 
 
Tian awoke to the sound of birds chirping nearby. At least this time they didn't startle her. Though, they did sound more pleasant than the last "bird attack".
She stretched awkardly and slowly opened her eyes to the beams of light shining down through the treetops. Her perspective immediately caught up with her, bringing her back to reality.
"Damn. And here I was hoping it was a dream." She shook her head.
"Good morning."
Tian looked towards the put out campfire from which around Soi sat.
"Good morning to you too. Did you sleep at all last night?"
Soi stood up and stretched. "Nope."
"Why not? Are we in danger?"
"Well, it is the woods. Anything can happen."
Tian slowly stood up, wincing as her wounded feet touched the ground.
Soi gathered the splint and pots and placed them in her satchel then walked over to her unoccupied blanket which she rolled up and stuck in her satchel as well.
"Get up. We need to get a move on if we're going to make it back to the stronghold before nightfall."
Tian nodded and turned toward Kyang, nudging him gently with her foot to wake him. He merely stirred slightly and rolled over to a new position.
Tian shrugged and bent down, carefully scooping Kyang up into her arms, then walked off the blanket. It began to weird her how well she was getting used to the situation. She certainly never expected to have to struggle to carry an 8 inch man...nor did she expect to ever reduce to a foot and a half in height.
Soi rolled up the second blanket and walked back over to Tian's satchel where she set it into one of the side pouches.
She turned back to the two, craning her neck to look down at them. "Is that everything?"
Tian, likewise, craned her neck to look up and her and nodded. "I think so."
"Good. Here, I'll take him." Soi kneeled down and held out her hand.
Tian, slightly taken aback by the size of her hand, placed Kyang onto her palm and then backed away a bit as Soi slowly stood back up.
Soi carefully placed Kyang into the same satchel pocket as before then slung the bags onto her shoulders.
"Come along then." She turned towards the new section of woods and began walking.
 
Soi found herself feeling like she was almost dawdling. She was basically only putting one foot in front of her and muttering obsceneties under her breath. In order for her to walk normally, Tian had to sprint to keep up with her. Soi had numerous times thought of just scooping her up and making a run for it but decided against it. She wasn't sure what Tian was feeling at the moment and didn't want to intensify shock or anything.
Tian did feel a bit guilty for being responsible for their extremely slow pace of traveling. Soi kept looking back at her as if she was completely exhausted and fed up with walking the pace of a penguin. But Tian was walking...jogging..as fast as her injured legs would let her.
 
It wasn't for another six hours that the trio finally made it out of the woods to the clearing of a vast green hill that overlooked most of the surrounding tribes. Mt. Reikaku could be seen from where they stood and Soi looked towards it almost hungrily. She yearned to be back there. Ever since she stepped foot outside the gates on this mission, stress and anxiety had taken over her.
Tian collapsed into a sitting position on the ground beside Soi. She panted and gasped to catch her breath as she looked over the peaceful green of the fields.
"How....much longer?" She craned her neck to look up at Soi who was still facing the direction of her home.
"With the pace we've been going...I'd say about 8 more hours. Normal pace...6 more hours. My pace...3 more hours."
Tian closed her eyes and sighed, remaining silent.
Soi turned and looked down at the tiny figure resting beside her boot. "Hey..." She kneeled down beside her.
Tian reclined back, her hands supporting her on the ground, and looked at Soi.
"It's best we get back to the stronghold as soon as possible. You could still be reducing."
Tian nodded. "Yes I know, Soi. I'm sorry I'm so slow. I'm really trying."
"I know. But I really think we should move faster."
Tian sat back up with her hands between her legs and hung her head. "Alright. I'm try. I just don't know how much faster I can do."
Soi sighed, trying to figure out the best way to put what she was trying to say. "Look, I know you're exhausted. I can't blame you. Just...why don't you take a load off and I'll do the rest of the walking."
Tian looked back up at her, her eyes narrowed in confusion.
"Look, just let me carry you the rest of way. We can make less than half the time if I go my own pace."
Tian looked at her as if she just saw someone murdered. "N-no. It's okay. I'll run! I'll sprint!"
"TIAN!"
Tian jerked, taken aback.
"What's the big deal? I'm carrying Kyang. I promise I'll be careful. Okay?"
Tian remained silent, unsure of what to say. She felt small and insignificant already. She didn't want to worsen it by having someone carrying her the rest of the way back.  She slowly stood back up and sighed.
"Alright. Just be care...."
Soi quickly swept her up in her hands and rested her in the crook of one of her arms.
Tian looked up at her, eyes wide. "...ful."
Soi laughed and stood back up, facing Mt. Reikaku again.
Tian's small hand gripped Soi's arm as she struggled to gain a comfortable position. Before she reached her goal, Soi began to sprint down the hill.
 
Two and a half hours later, Soi looked a couple of feet before her to the gates of the stronghold. She had never felt so glad to be home. A groan caught her attention and she looked down to Tian who was still cradled in the crook of her arm.
Soi smiled. "Sorry about the bumpy ride. I guess I was a bit eager to get home."
She gently knelt down and set Tian on the ground.
Tian winced as her feet touched the ground and she stretched. "Heh heh." She rubbed her arm shakily.
Soi took off her satchel and reached into the pouch, pulling Kyang out.
Kyang yawned and uncurled in her palm, looking up at the two girls. "Morning."
Soi smirked. "Morning? It's..." She looked up towards the sun. "Nearly 3 in the afternoon."
"Oh. Well, afternoon then."
"I think it's best I keep you two hidden...until I reach Genrou."
Kyang jumped at the name. Soi carefully cupped her fingers around Kyang. "Don't worry. It's nothing like that. Perhaps he'll know some way to fix the two of you."
Soi held her hand out and Tian reached over and took Kyang into her arms like a small child.
Soi opened the bigger part of her satchel and gently picked Tian up and set her down inside. "Stay silent and still until I tell you it's alright. Okay?"
The two nodded up to her and Soi closed the satchel, gently hoisted it up onto her shoulder again. Breathing a slight sigh of relief, she approached the gates of the stronghold.
Chapter 10 by Twinchy2Ember2Tian
Chapter 10

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Soi kept a tight grip on the strap of her satchel as she finally came to a stop at the gate.

 

The guards turned to face her as she cleared her throat and she nodded to them. They silently opened the gate for her and she trailed inside, heading straight for the meeting room.

 

As expected, Kouji and Genrou were inside discussion a plan of action for a predicted upcoming attack on the stronghold.

 

Soi cleared her throat loudly, making the two stop immediately and turn to her.

 

Kouji grinned broadly and ran over; embracing her in a quick hug then released her, looking her over.

 

"Sheesh! What happened to YOU?"

 

Soi's eyes narrowed. "What's that supposed to mean?"

 

Kouji chuckled. "Nothing at all. How did everything go? Did you find the Suzaku stones already?"

 

By this time, Genrou already had made his way over to the two and nodded, "Didn't expect you back so soon. What happened?"

 

"What do the Suzaku stones do?"

 

"Did you encounter any enemies in your travels?"

 

"Did you steal anything interesting?"

 

"Were they in the woods where we figured they'd be?"

 

"Do camels really spit?"

 

Soi and Genrou blinked and looked at Kouji.

 

He shrugged. "What? I was on a roll..."

 

Soi turned to Genrou. "We did find the Suzaku stones, Genrou."

 

"We?" Kouji broke in. "Oh yeah! Where's that little newbie, anyway?"

 

Soi fell silent for a bit, thinking things over.

 

Genrou's eyebrows rose slightly. "Did something happen to her?"

 

Kouji looked at Soi in questioning as well.

 

Soi sighed softly and pulled her satchel off her shoulder, placing it gently on the ground. "Brace yourselves..."

 

She carefully opened it and looked inside to meet Tian's gaze...but she wasn't there!

 

Her eyes widened. "Oh, Suzaku!! Where did they go?!"

 

Kouji raised one eyebrow and looked at Genrou. "I think I know what the Suzaku stones do..."

 

"Shut up! Soi has more sense than that...even if it was the case."

 

"No no no." Soi stood back up and faced the two. "The Suzaku stones...they were in the river in the woods. I accidentally startled Tian and she fell in..."

 

"And?"

 

"The Suzaku stones hold the power to reduce."

 

"Reduce what?"

 

"Reduce size."

 

Kouji snorted. "Right."

 

Genrou smacked Kouji across the back of the head but kept his gaze on Soi. "So.... Tian diminished?"

 

Soi nodded. "Yes. She was only a little over a foot when we got here a minute ago. I had her in my satchel but I don't..."

 

She blinked as she looked at Kouji. His eyes were wide and staring down at her satchel. She turned and looked down as well to find Kyang had crawled out of the opening and was waving up at her.

 

Soi knelt down and slowly gathered Kyang in her hands before standing up again. "And um, this is Kyang; his party attacked us near the pool. He was one of the guardians of it. There were four others as well but two of them disappeared and the other two we gave back to their tribe. The leader gave us this one back to keep, but I'm not exactly sure why."

 

Kyang stood up awkwardly on Soi's hands and bowed to Genrou, giving him his respects.

 

Genrou nodded back to him. "Amazing...who would have thought this is what the stones would do?"

 

Kouji approached Soi and peered down at Kyang. "So...this is what happened to Tian?"

 

Soi gasped. "Tian! Kyang, where is Tian?"

 

Kyang smiled somewhat sheepishly. "She's still in the bag thing. If you would be so kind as to put me back down, I may be able to coax her out."

 

Soi creased her brow, a bit confused, and knelt back down, placing Kyang back on the floor.

 

Kyang immediately darted back into the mouth of the satchel.

 

 

 

Soi, Genrou, and Kouji all watched in curiosity, waiting for Kyang to return back out.

 

A few moments later, Kyang finally emerged...with an arm wrapped around Tian, who was now no bigger than 7 inches tall.

 

Tian's face was in her hands, embarrassed, and her shoulders shook slightly. A small handkerchief type cloth was wrapped around her to keep her modesty.

 

Soi sucked in an audible breath. "Oh, Tian..."

 

She knelt slowly, followed by her fellow commands, and peered down at the couple. "It finally happened, eh?"

 

Tian very slowly uncovered her face and craned her neck to look up. "Oh. By the gods..."

 

Genrou very gently lowered a hand down to the two. "Calm down. It's going to be alright. We'll figure out a way to fix you."

 

Both Kyang and Tian looked at Soi who smiled and nodded her head in encouragement. The two, clinging tightly to one another, stepped up onto Genrou's hand.

 

Genrou stood up slowly, Kouji and Soi following him. "Hmm. They both appear to be normal by every other standard. I think it'd be best to summon Chichiri for help."

 

Kouji looked at him, incredulously. "Chichiri? Wow. He hasn't been around in an age. You think he could help?"

 

"If anyone were to know what to do, it would be him."

 

Soi nodded. "I agree. That seems the best bet."

 

"But until then- Soi, I'm leaving these two in your care." Genrou looked at her, intensely, as if waiting for her to protest.

 

Soi nodded in reply. "Alright. I'll make a place for them to stay in my room." She held out her hand toward the surprised Genrou, and he slowly moved his hand to meet hers.

 

Kyang took hold of Tian's hand and led her onto Soi's hand and sat down in her palm, pulling Tian down with him and cautiously embracing her.

 

"It's okay, Tian." He whispered softly in her ear and gently stroked some loose strands of green hair on her shoulder. "Everything is gonna be alright. Whoever this...Chichiri guy is...I'm sure he'll fix us."

 

Tian wiped her eyes and smiled up at Kyang. "Thanks. I know everything will work out."

 

Soi cupped her fingers slightly over the two and nodded her head to Genrou before leaving the room. Kouji, still full of curiosity and awe, followed her to her room.

 

"So, you gonna dish out the whole story or what?"

 

"Not now, Kouji. I'm tired."

 

"Ah. Well, later then right?"

 

"We'll see."

 

Soi finished the walk down the veranda and opened her door. She smiled as she looked about the familiar room and stepped inside. She carefully walked over to her bedside table and set her hand on it so Kyang and Tian could walk off.

 

"Hmmm." Soi turned to Kouji who was still standing in her doorway. "They need clothes and some kind of bed to sleep on."

 

Kouji smiled and nodded. "I'll talk with Yuki." He turned and left the room, closing the door behind him.

 

Soi sat down on her bed and gazed at the two on her side table. "You guys doing alright?"

 

Kyang smiled to her. "Yes. Quite fine."

 

She leaned forward slightly. "How about you, girly?"

 

Tian looked up a bit sheepishly and managed a smile. "I'm alright. For the circumstances I guess. Sorry for being kinda choked up about it earlier. I should have expected this is what would happen."

 

"Well, you didn't know for sure."

 

Tian opened her mouth to respond, when the door flew back open and Kouji walked back into the room.

 

"Yuki said he would need measurements. He was wondering if you could maybe bring the two to his room later. Genrou said we could trust him with...you know..."

 

Soi smiled to him and nodded. "Yes I know. Tell him I can bring them as soon as- "

 

 

 

All was suddenly cut short as an explosion hit the center of the room.
Chapter 11 by Twinchy2Ember2Tian
Chapter 11

 

 

 

Soi instantly jumped and reached down for her dagger, cursing herself for leaving her naginata in the meeting room. Kouji quickly rushed to stand beside her; reaching out to steady the beside-table which had begun to rock slightly, throwing Tian and Kyang down onto their backs.

As the odd blue smoke cleared, a tall thin man holding a large monk staff with golden rings appeared. Kyang stood up shakily, helping Tian to her feet. They both turned to face this new stranger. Looking up they saw his happy smile, and his light blue hair with bangs that seemed to defy gravity itself.

"CHICHIRI!!!!!!" Soi lunged and tackled him. The stranger caught her in his arms and laughed, embracing her tightly.
"I haven't seen you in years!! Why haven't you come to visit, you old bastard?" Soi hugged him tighter.
Chichiri laughed in an abnormally high-pitched voice. "I've been traveling as usual, noda. A monk never goes to one place twice in one year, noda. You know that!"
Soi released Chichiri and grinned up at him.
"Yo, Chichiri!" Kouji stepped forward, slapping Chichiri really hard on the back, sending him face first on the floor. "Yeah, you should still come by more often. This isn't just some ‘place’ ya know?"
Chichiri stood up slowly reaching for his back. "Yes well, I kind of like my back in the same alignment as it is now, noda."
Chichiri looked about the room slowly until his eyes fell on Kyang and Tian on the bedside table. "Ah, noda. You must be Tian and Kyang."
He slowly made his way over to them. Kyang and Tian craned their necks to look up at him and watched silently as Chichiri's eyes traveled over them in fascination.
"Very interesting, noda. I've never seen anything like this before. But I know I'll be able to do something!"
Tian and Kyang exchanged glances, their eyes becoming wide with excitement.
Kyang looked back up at Chichiri. "You mean you will be able to help us?"
Chichiri nodded, still smiling.
"Woo!!" Kyang turned and embraced Tian and she hugged him back, ecstatically.

Chichiri turned back to face Soi and Kouji as they approached.
"So, noda. Genrou told me to talk to you about their situation...since he doesn't know a lot noda… him being so dense and all."
Soi laughed. "Yeah well, he sent me and Tian on a genius plan to find the Suzaku Stones."
Chichiri's eyes widened a bit. "...Suzaku Stones? Nani [what] noda??"
Soi frowned slightly at his reaction. "…Yeah. I guess you heard of them." She pulled up her chair and sat down on it."
Chichiri nodded and frowned in worry. "Hai [yes]..noda. I don't know if my power will ever be stronger than the god Suzaku...no...da. I’m not sure if I can do anything anymore...gomen nasaii [I’m sorry]....but I will still try..."

Kyang and Tian's excited chatter to one another stopped abruptly.
Kyang's breathing began to slur a bit. Tian bit down on her hand. They both looked at one another, their faces showing utter despair. It was too cruel! To get their hopes up and then have it come crashing down in a matter of minutes.
Kyang's arm found its way around Tian and pulled her close.
Soi looked over at the two, immediately seeing their reaction, her face fell. She stood up and looked at Chichiri.
"What? There has to be something we can do! This is insane! They can't stay like this forever! What are they gonna do? Live on my table for the rest of their lives?!"
Chichiri sighed and looked into Soi's eyes. "It isn't my fault, Soi. Suzaku is a god. And I am not. But I said I would still try, noda." He frowned heavily in thought. "I shall need a night's meditation. You all must rest. I shall be back in the morning."
With that the same explosion from earlier occurred.
Soi quickly stepped back beside Kouji, and Tian and Kyang found themselves making contact with the table again.

Kouji sighed and patted Soi on the shoulder. "Well, I’m out. Sleep tight." He turned and quickly walked out the door- not liking the despair that hung in the room after Chichiri's departure.
Soi crossed her arms and looked out her window. She hadn't realized it had gotten so late. It had been quite a while since the sun had descended. She walked slowly over to her beside table and watched as Kyang and Tian got back onto their feet.
"I'm sorry, guys. Don't worry though; there's gotta be SOME way to fix this. And if anyone can figure that out, it's Chichiri."
Kyang nodded up at her and managed a smile. "Yes well, sounds like we're in the right place at the right time then."
Tian looked up at Soi but remained silent.
Soi smiled slightly down at them.
Kyang opened his mouth to ask Soi a question when he was interrupted by a loud rumble. He turned to Tian in question as she reached down to her stomach and wrapped her arms around it. She turned to Kyang sheepishly and smiled. "Sorry..."
Soi raised her eyebrows. "Wow, Tian, I could hear that from all the way up here!" She laughed, basking on how good it felt to be happy again, "I need to go out for a bit anyway, so I'll go and get you two something to eat."
A knock on the door startled all of them into jumping. Soi turned and walked over to the door, opening it.
"Oh hey, Genrou."
Genrou took a step into the room and leaned into Soi, whispering in her ear, "I just wanted to let you know that both Chichiri and I felt that you, I, Chichiri, and Kouji should be the only ones who know about what has happened to Kyang and Tian."
Soi nodded in understanding. "Alright. But what about Yuki? I was going to have him make some things for them until they are back to normal."
Genrou shook his head. "That is not wise. I advise you find a way to ask him for things without actually tellin’ him."
Soi frowned. "Well, okay..."
Genrou nodded. "That will be all." He turned and walked out.
Soi rolled her eyes and turned to Kyang and Tian. "I'll be back!"
She quickly darted out of her room and walked a couple of doors down.
Turning to the third door to the right from her room, she knocked loudly.
Waiting a few moments, she sighed realizing no one would be answering. Shrugging, she barged into the room.
Soi smiled seeing Yuki busily sewing something on his bed. Yuki was like the maid bandit of the stronghold. He cooked the dinner, sewed our clothes, cleaned them...he did everything.
"Hey, Yuki...can I borrow a medium sized squish pillow, two really small pillows, and a small blanket? And maybe even...." Soi sighed knowing where this would take her, "...maybe even something for a female doll?"
Yuki slowly looked up a Soi and raised his eyebrow. "Oh...you're finally deciding to act like a real girl and have a tea party?"
He grinned and put down his sewing project, going to the other side of the room to search for his supplies.
Soi laughed and crossed her arms, leaning against the wall. "Yeah. I decided to throw away my spears and live the life of a frilly dressed woman."
Yuki laughed. "I knew that was always the best for ya! Tell, you what, come back in half-hour. I'll have your tea party supplies ready."
Soi rolled her eyes and nodded. "Thanks, Yuki."


Soi walked slowly down the veranda. She was going to walk ahead to the grub room to get something to eat for herself, but she didn't really feel like eating anymore. Turning to the opposite direction, she started to head towards the bathhouse. She stepped inside to find 5 male bandits already bathing in it. They all paused and turned to face her as she walked in. Having Soi and two other girls (not including Tian) the only women at the stronghold; they never bothered to build another bathing house. So unfortunately (to Soi at least) they had to share.
Knowing all eyes were on her, she grabbed a towel and slowly took off her clothes and slipped into the spring.
Finding that all the guys were still looking at her, she glared threateningly, "...stop looking or I'll break off all your appendages...started with the shortest one!"
They’re eyes instantly flew down, away from her- making Soi grin. Closing her eyes in relaxation, she leaned back, laying her head on the top of the spring comfortingly.


Tian sat down on the edge of the table, swinging her legs back and forth idly. "I'm hungry."
Kyang laughed and sat down beside. "Yes, I figured that."
Tian smiled back at him and looked down at her hands. "Ya know? This isn't so bad. I don't know why...but I believe Chichiri will pull this off for us."
Kyang nodded and wrapped an arm around her. "That's the spirit."
"I will say this...after being 7 inches tall...I'll never complain about being 4'10" again."
Kyang raised an eyebrow and smirked. "You're only 4'10"??"
Tian pushed him slightly. "Don't start!"
Kyang laughed. "So, what's your story?"
Tian pulled one leg back up onto the table, bending it, and wresting her head on her knee. "What story?"
"How did you come to the stronghold?"
Tian sucked in her breath. "Hmm… I've always wanted to be a bandit. My father was the lead archer in the tribe he fought for."
Kyang raised an eyebrow. "So, you're parents were bandits?"
"My father was a bandit before he met my mother. One day he was traveling and his horse got spooked and ran off. All of his supplies were packed on the horse so he lost everything. He was running low on water so he stopped at a small village. And there he met my mother."
Kyang smiled. "And they had a little girl named Tian and lived happily ever after. That's so nice."
Tian wrapped her arms around her leg, still resting her head on her knee. "Yes. That would have been nice." She fell silent, deep in thought.
Kyang frowned. "You alright? Did I bring up a bad memory?"
Tian shrugged. "No. You didn't bring it up. It's always been there."
Kyang shuffled over slightly to face her. "Tell me."
Tian looked over at him. "When my mother became pregnant with me, my parents moved to a small cottage back in the woods. I was raised there. By the time I was 2 my father was already teaching me how to use a bow." She smiled to herself, still in thought. "Those were great times. My father always wanted to travel around during the day, so I always looked forward to the evening when he would come home. He would always scoop me up into his arms and hug me tightly and then take me out into the clearing...and we'd practice archery. Ever single night. By the time I turned 6...I was already up to standards with my bow that I could have joined a tribe of bandits." She chuckled. "Yet every night we still practiced and practiced and practiced. And I kept getting better and better and better.
Two days after my 7th birthday, my father came home early. He didn't know it but during the day when he would leave, my mother would teach me to sew and cook. My mother always wanted me to stay girly and learn to do woman’s work. She told me one day that my father had left for three days after I was born. He was angry that I wasn't a boy. Anyway, when my father came home and saw what I was doing, he cursed me. And then he grabbed my mother and pulled her out of the house. I didn't know at the time what was happening. I just heard my mother screaming. From that day on, my father didn't travel anymore. He stayed home...and he became depressed...and he began to drink…and get drunk. Every night he'd beat my mother. He'd beat her until she became numb and didn't care anymore. The house began to get dirty and there was never any supper fixed. So I took the liberty of doing so while my father was passed out from drinking. Then one day he caught me doing it and he began to beat me instead of my mother. My mother would never do anything about it. She'd just sit back and watch. Then one night..." Tian paused, wiping her hand across her eyes and regaining her composure. "..one night my father raped me. That was the last straw. That night I snuck out of the house....and burnt it. I stood in the woods behind my house and watched it burn. My mother and father never came out." She looked over at Kyang.
Kyang's face was blank as he looked at her. "You killed your parents?"
Tian nodded. "Yes."
"But where did you go? How did you live?"
"There was an abandoned cottage a ways down. I lodged there. And I began to steal food, supplies, and weapons. I'm ashamed to say I became very cold. I never spoke to anyone. I only focused on what I had to do to survive on my own. Due to my mother's teachings, I was able to make my own clothes and cook my own food. And on my father's teaching, I was able to hunt my own meat. I found it almost easy to make it on my own."
Kyang looked at her intensely. "I do not see that attitude in you anymore. What happened?"
Tian shrugged. "One day I just...woke up. I just found myself meditating and realized...there was something missing in me. A black hole...a purpose. I remembered all the adventures my father told me about. All his exciting times as a bandit. It excited me. I realized that was what I wanted to do. And...I don't know. Something in me changed. I became...happy. Knowing that I could have a purpose." She sighed. "Though now...I'm not quite sure what my purpose is at the moment."

Kyang smiled and wrapped an arm around her, pulling her towards him. "Well, we'll just have to figure that out together. Now...what are you going to do about Soi?"
Tian sat up and looked at him curiously. "What?"
Kyang laughed. "Oh don't try to play dumb. I see how you look at her. You like her don't you?"
Tian's eyes widened. "What!? That's the most..." She fell silent, seeing Kyang grin widely.
"Well?"
Tian laid her head back on her knee again, smiling sheepishly. "So what if I do?"
Kyang laughed. "Then I'd say, you’ve got good taste."

 

Chapter 12 by Twinchy2Ember2Tian
 

 

 

 

Chapter 12

Soi jumped awake, snapping her eyes open. She had fallen asleep in the bath house! Slipping out of the hot water quickly and snatching up her towel, she dried herself off and threw on her clothes. Thankfully everyone else had already departed and she was alone.
Once she was completely dressed, she walked outside and headed towards the dining hall.
Soi rushed into the now empty building…It rarely was deserted, after all there was always food in there! She shrugged and walked over to some of the leftovers sitting on one of the tables. She grabbed a plate and grabbed little bits of everything.
She cringed realizing how long she had been in the bath house. She hoped Kyang and Tian hadn't starved to death.
Finally, with the plate full, she scooted out of the grub room and headed down the veranda.
Soi stopped at Yuki's room and knocked on the door once before entering.
Yuki looked up from the same thing he was working on earlier. "Well, 'bout time!"
Soi smiled. "You're finished?"
"Yup! Over here." He walked over to a table on the other side of the room and held up two small cushions and blankets. "Here you are." He handed them to me and then reached back down to the table, retrieving a tiny black and dark purple dress. "Isn't it cute?"
Soi rolled her eyes, smiling slyly. "Yea. Adorable." She snatched it from his hand and nodded. "Thanks, Yuki."
"No problem, Soi!"
Soi turned and walked back out onto the veranda, traveling a few feet before opening her door.


Tian sat in silence on the edge of the table in thought. She was just now soaking in the short conversation she had with Kyang earlier. In all her time she spent with her parents, they never really taught her about the "birds in the bees" and such. She had just kinda picked it up over time. But she still felt like there was something wrong. Everyone she knew that was a couple was one man and one woman. So it obviously wasn't possible for two men or two women...but then why was she having these feelings. Kyang didn't seem to think it odd. At least...he never let on that it was.
Tian turned around and looked at Kyang who was pacing impatiently behind her. She smiled at him. "Kyang? You okay?"
"Huh?" Kyang turned to Tian and met her smiling gaze. "Ah! Yes, I'm fine. Just a wee bit hungry...and worried. Where’s Soi? She's been gone for over an hour! Does it usually take that long to get food?"
Tian shrugged. "Well, Soi did say that she had other places to go."
Kyang nodded. "Yea, I guess so." He looked up as the door opened and Soi stepped into the room. "Hey!"
He smiled and walked to the edge of the table next to Tian. "Took you long enough with the food! Why is your hair wet?" He laughed. "Nevermind. I won't push the subject… What ya got to eat? I'm famished!"

Soi grinned at Kyang. "Man...Do you ever close your mouth? No wonder your tribe got rid of ya." She winked, showing Kyang that she was only joking.
Soi looked in Tian's direction and smiled slightly before sitting down on the bed. She placed the small plate on the table behind them.
"Help yourself, Kyang. I have a feeling stuffin yer face will be the only way to shut ya up!"
Kyang looked up, already having dived onto the plate and stuffing his face. "I resent that!"
Soi laughed and placed the small cushions and blankets on the other side of the table. "I had Yuki make these for you to sleep on. Oh and..." She reached into her pocket and withdrew the tiny dress, carefully handing it to Tian. "...he made this for you also. I have your clothes in my bag but...I'd rather have them washed thoroughly before giving them back to you."
Tian nodded, understanding. "So my clothes shrunk as well?"
Soi nodded. "Yes."
Tian smiled slightly. "Good." She trotted over to the plate and sat down on the edge of it, picking up small handfuls of bread and different kinds of meat.

After eating a bit, Tian stood up and picked up the dress. She chewed her lower lip and looked between Kyang and Soi helplessly.
Soi, who was watching them both intently, nodded in understanding to her. "Oh! Um..." Soi placed her hand, palm up, onto the table next to Tian who, after a moment's hesitation, kneeled down and crawled onto it.
Soi gently transported her to her bed. "Go on the other side of the pillow for privacy." Tian nodded and crawled off her hand, darting behind the pillow.
Tian grinned in delight at the dress. It was quite beautiful. It was two layers of fabric: the bottom was purple velvet and the top black satin. The black was cut in a V-shape, revealing the purple from underneath. She took one last look to make sure Soi and Kyang couldn't see her, and then undid the garment, letting it slip off of her. She quickly pulled the dress over her head and smoothed out any wrinkles. She was surprised to find it extremely comfortable...in fact it seemed perfect even to sleep in. And it fit perfectly!
Tian spun around, happy to not have to wear that bag any longer.
Tian grabbed the garment up into her arms and walked out from behind the pillow. The edge of the table that jutted over prevented her from seeing Kyang but she spotted Soi sitting next to her closet. She had let down her braid; her long, silky, blue, hair pooling over her shoulders.

Soi ran her fingers all the way through her hair and continued to comb it gently so as not to break a strand. She smiled to herself, glad to feel like everything was normal for a few moments. When she was finally satisfied that there were no knots left in her hair, she pulled it up into a loose ponytail.
Soi turned to make sure Kyang and Tian were still there and alright, and then ducked back into her closet out of sight. She untied the front of her shirt and pulled it off, laying it over the chair she was just sitting on. Looking down towards her chest, she touched the bandage that was wrapped tightly around her. She winced at its tightness and she began to unwrap it.
Soi was not injured in any way, but coming into the stronghold there was a lot of fighting and defending to be done. She hated her breasts...they were very large and always seemed to get in the way. She sighed as she completely unbound her breasts; finally letting them spring back to their normal size.
Soi leaned down and pulled off her pants. Reaching up she took off a long white shirt from the closet shelf. She quickly pulled it over her head, letting the tail of it fall down to touch her knees. She yawned slightly, realizing just how tired she really was. Heading out of her closet, she sat down on the far end of her bed.
"You guys ready for sleep, or what?"
Turning fully to look at them, Soi was greeted by two awestricken little people, both of their mouths hanging open.
She blinked in surprise. "Why are ya'll looking at me like that? .....What?!"

Tian snapped her mouth back shut. She didn't mean to look so surprised, it was just that this was the first time Soi looked very...feminine. Before, she had word such baggy clothes and it seemed she had no breasts at all. Now Soi's breasts were definitely noticeable through her white shirt as where her long muscular legs.
"Whoa..." Tian heard Kyang yell from up on the table, "...she's got boobs!"
Tian immediately covered her face and giggled.

Soi raised her eyebrows. "Yes, and if that's not a cue for bed, I don't know what is." She reached down and gently gathered Tian in her hand and deposited her onto the table next to Kyang.
Tian sat down on the edge of the plate next to Kyang and gave him an odd look for his comment. Kyang shrugged. "What?"
Soi pulled the sheets back from her bed and slipped under them, pulling them up to just below her breasts. "So, what are you guys gonna do?"

Kyang turned and all but dived back into the plate, continuing to eat heartily. Tian slowly walked over to the two cushions, a blue and green one, on the other side of the table closest to Soi's bed. Naturally she chose the green one and climbed up onto it. She bounced a little bit and patted it down, satisfied that it would indeed be better than sleeping on the forest floor like she had been the past couple of days. Plopping back onto it, she curled up and pulled the small blanket over on top of her.
Kyang looked over to her with his mouth full. "Tffffian? Foo yunt ninny-moo?"
Tian sat up slowly and looked at him, grinning. "What?"
Kyang swallowed. "Do you want anymore?"
Tian shook her head. "No thanks. Being around someone like you eating kinda makes one lose their appetite. Goodnight!"

Soi smiled at the two of them and leaned forward a bit, silencing the candle on the table. "Goodnight, guys." She laid back down onto her pillow and rolled over towards the wall, closing her eyes.

Tian looked about the room in the darkness. Her eyes had not yet adjusted, so she settled to watch the silhouettes from outside move their shadows across the room. She smiled, still hearing Kyang eating. After a few minutes, she heard him make his way...with lots of banging and cursing...over to the bed beside her and climbed on. She turned over onto her side to face him. "You okay?"
Kyang chuckled. "Yeah. Just ran into a few things on the way over here."
Tian smiled. "Nice going. Well, goodnight. Tomorrow we should be big again!"
Kyang smiled back at her. "Yes! Good thoughts! There's gonna be some good dreams tonight!"
And with that he turned over and nodded off to sleep.
Tian turned back over onto her back and listened to the night sounds. She could hear Soi's deep breathing but wasn't sure if she was asleep yet or not. Rolling back over onto her side, Tian closed her eyes and settled in for the night.


Soi laid awake in her room, looking at the ceiling. She began to feel her eyelids slowly getting heavier. Suddenly she heard her bedroom door open quietly.
Soi slowly sat up and saw the shadow of Kouji's figure inching in.
When Kouji was finally in, he closed the door and started to walk over to her bed. Gradually, Soi felt his weight crawl onto her mattress and then his body lay next to hers above the sheets.
Soi looked at him sternly. "What are you doing?"
There was silence in the room until Kouji's lips met Soi's. Soi quickly turned her head and broke the kiss.
"Kouji! What are you doing?"
After a few moments of pure silence, Soi felt his body thrown on top of hers as he kissed her again more passionately.
"Nuffin." Kouji replied, bluntly. Kouji leaned in and kissed her deeper, his hands started to travel down her body.
Soi jerked her head away again and pushed at him. "Kouji! We can't do this...stop it, okay?"
"Why? Why can't we?"
Soi looked at him, incredulously. "Um...Kyang and Tian ring a bell, genius?"
Kouji growled slightly. "Dammit..." He crawled back off the bed and slowly walked out of the room without looking back.
Soi blinked and laid there in silent thought. "What was that all about?" She shrugged if off and started to drift off again.
Chapter 13 by Twinchy2Ember2Tian
Chapter 14 by Twinchy2Ember2Tian
Chapter 15 by Twinchy2Ember2Tian
Chapter 16 by Twinchy2Ember2Tian

The Luck of Mt. Reikaku
Chapter 16
Author: Twinch
Editor & co-author: Joanna

 

Kyang remained silent as he followed Soi down to the dining hall. Kyang felt extremely awkward. He knew this wasn't the stronghold he belonged to, and at least before he wasn't noticeable.
Most of the men in the hall stared at him, unsure of who he was. No one else in the stronghold knew of what happened during the quest for the Suzaku Stones. Most only knew that Soi left with a new young girl...and came back alone. No one else knew that the new young girl had in fact came back with Soi...as well as a young man, which she kept hidden in her satchel.
Soi took Kyang's arm and led him to one of the tables where she instructed him to sit down beside her as she sat herself.
As Kyang sat down, nervously, Soi looked him over, studying his face and his features.
Kyang looked at Soi and blinked. "Something wrong?"
Soi smiled and shook her head. "No. Just noticing things that I couldn't see before. Like your eyes. You have beautiful eyes. And the rest of you is very attractive."
Kyang blushed and looked away, fiddling with his hands on the table. "Arigato."
Soi laughed. "Well, don't take it too personally. I mean, you're not exactly my type. No offense."
Kyang nodded. "None taken, of course. I wouldn't think so myself."
Kyang scratched his head, starting to feel awkward again with all the stares in the room, including Soi's. "Ah. Weren't we gonna get food for Tian and Kouji?"
Soi nodded. "Yup. Just thought I'd make Kouji suffer a bit."


"Stoooooop! You making a HUGE mistake!"
Kouji huffed and looked back up to Tian, who was still on the beside table. "Exactly WHEN did you become my personal adviser? Shush. I am going to prove to myself that I am still useful! Because if I don't...I'm gonna go crazy with fear."
Kouji said that last part in his head. He was in the process of climbing down the side of the bed, using the tossed over sheets as a rope ladder.
Tian sat on the edge of the table, her feet hanging over the edge as she watched Kouji descend the bed.
"But..."
"NO!!" Kouji growled and finally dropped down to the floor.
Tian frowned as Kouji dashed his away across the vast bedroom floor. She pursed her lips, her thoughts rolling over in her mind.
"Waaaait!" Tian jumped up and leaped off the table and onto the bed where she rolled over and took hold of the bed sheets and quickly and skillfully lowered herself to the ground.
Kouji was already under the door and out of the room. Tian darted across the floor and ducked, crawling under the door.
When she came up on the other side, Kouji was a good 20 feet away or so...at least from their perspective.
Tian rolled her eyes and ran, trying to catch up with him. She was thoroughly confused as to why Kouji suddenly had the urge to walk all the way back to his own room...just to prove to himself that he could.
"Kouji! KOUJIIIIIIII!" Because Kouji was jogging more than he was running, Tian was able to catch up with him. "Kouji, wait! This is dangerous. We should go back. Soi and Kyang will be back any minute to-"
"Shuuuuuuush!" Kouji put his finger to his lips and then put it against hers. "I need to concentrate. Go back to the room."
"But, Kouji, it's okay to be scared..."
"I'm not scared! I'm fine! And I'll prove it!"
Tian grabbed his shirt and held on. "No no! You don't have to prove it! I believe you! Now let's go back."
Kouji jerked his shirt away out of her hands and turned to look down at her. "Read my lips: Leave...me...aloooo.." He stopped, feeling a tremor flow through the veranda. "Did you...feel that?"
Tian nodded and looked up ahead to see two very large (even at normal size) bandit men heading in their direction.
Kouji and Tian locked eyes. "Run...quickly...run...."
Both turned slowly...and then began sprinting back towards Soi's room.
No matter how fast they ran, the huge boots kept getting closer and closer...
"Kouji, watch out!" Kouji dove to the ground, as did Tian as the giant bandits got so close that they were practically over top of them.

"Hey, Yamoshi. What's that?" Heichea pointed down to the two figures beside Yamoshi's boot.
"I uh...I don't know." He bent over. "They kinda look like..."
Both gasped and squatted down to have a closer look.

"Don't move...don't even breathe." Tian was glad that when she fell, she was facing Kouji so that they could see one another. She smiled softly, hoping that Kouji would be comforted some and maybe calm down. Kouji was breathing so hard that the bandits could probably see it.
The shadows over them grew as Heichea bent down and reached for Kouji.
Tian looked over at him with wide eyes and yelped under her breath. "Oh no."
As soon as Heichea's hand touched Kouji, the secret was out.
"AAAAAAAAAAAAH!!! DON'T TOUCH MEEEEEE!" Kouji jumped to his feet and bolted down the veranda. He managed to run about a foot before a giant hand seized him and lifted him up.

"Whoaaaa. Take a look at this." Heichea rased the little figure before his eyes.
Yamoshi looked over his shoulder. "That looks kinda like Commander Kouji."

Tian quickly stood and waved up at the large beings before her. "THAT IS COMMANDER KOUJI!! NOW PUT HIM DOWN!"
Yamoshi looked down at the waving figure and bent down, reaching for her.
"H-hey!" Tian turned, getting ready to split, when the hand snatched her up. "No no no no no! Put me down!!"

"Look-it here, Heichea! It's a little gal!" Yamoshi held Tian up proudly.
Heichea grumbled. "Hey! I'll trade ya! Surely this Kouji look-it-like is more valuable."
Yamoshi's eyes went back to the tiny girl, struggling in his grip. "Ya think so? But she's so much more fun to look at."
Heichea smirked. "Oh yeaah! Hey, I know! We'll take 'em back to our rooms and charge the others to look at 'em. And I'm sure the little Kouji would be worth more."
Yamoshi hesitated then hesitantly handed the still struggling girl over to his partner.
Heichea quickly snatched Tian up then roughly handed Kouji over to Yamoshi. "Now THIS is a fine catch. Come on!"
They both turned and bolted back to their own quarters.

Soi piled on little bits of this and that on a plate. She tried to hurry because she could tell that Kyang was feeling uncomfortable.
"What would you like to eat, Kyang?"
Kyang shrugged, standing awkwardly close to her. "Oh I'm fine. Not very hungry."
Soi smirked. "Stop worrying so much. You're fine. You're with me. No one is gonna hassle you or anything."

"STOOOOOOOOP! DAMNIT, LET ME GOOOOOOO!" Tian screamed and struggled with all her might as the giant fingers began to probe and squeeze her, trying to keep themselves occupied with her most private regions.
Kouji, who had long stopped his panic attack, looked on helplessly but continued to call his fellow bandits every obscene word he could think of.
Yamoshi watched Heichea, jealously, as he got to fondle the tiny girl they had found on the veranda. "H-hey, can I have a turn?"
Heichea looked up, annoyed by the interuption. "No! You get to charge more for yours! So I'm getting my extra payment another way." He looked back down to his prize and grabbed the tip of her dress, beginning to pull it up and off her miniscule figure. "N-no...please stop!!" Tears streamed down the terrified girl's face and she wept pitifully.
BAM BAM BAM. "Open up, Heichea!!"
"DAMNITALL!!" Heichea kept the girl in his grip and stood up from the bed, walking to the door and throwing it open. "WHA...oh! Takastan, come in!"
Takastan, one of the higher ranking bandits, walked into the room and looked around. "The others are on their way. So what's this amazing thing that you've found and are willing to actually CHARGE us for it."
Before Heichea could respond, Yamoshi proudly held up Kouji, presenting him to Takastan.

"So, if you're as good with a dagger as you say you are, I'm sure a good position can be filled for you." Soi smiled over to Kyang as they walked down the veranda.
Kyang nodded. "Hai. However, I'm guessing that if Chichiri does not find a way to grow Kouji and Tian...I will be reduced again."
Soi sighed. "Well, yes. No offense again, Kyang. But Kouji is needed more than you are."
"Hai, I know. And it's alright. Higher positions make me nervous anyway, as you can tell."
Soi laughed and opened the door to her room, letting Kyang step inside first, then stepped inside and closed the door behind her. "Alright, you too! Food is he..." She stopped and raised an eyebrow to the deserted bedside table. "Hey, guys? Where are you?" She looked down to the ground and skimmed the floor.
Kyang did the same, also checking the bottom of his shoes in dread.
"Where the hell did they go? Kouji?? Tiaaaaaaan..." She cautiously walked over to her bed and looks under the covers and pillows, then under the bed itself. "Guys, if you're playing hide and seek, this is kinda dangerous." She looked back to Kyang. "See anything?"
Kyang shook his head. "No. Think they went for an afternoon stroll?"
Soi huffed and stood up. "I wouldn't put it past Kouji. Damn it, I shouldn't have left them alone with Kouji not used to it." She brushed past Kyang and opened the door, scanning the floor of the veranda. "Please be okay..." She muttered under her breath, not seeing the tiny figures in either direction. She sighed and turned to have one last look in her room, when three men went running down the veranda and headed into a room a few doors down.
Soi watched them, curiously. When they opened the door, the noise level from the room seemed a little unusual. "What the hell...?" She turned to Kyang. "Follow me."
Soi darted down the veranda to the door and knocked loudly. A few moments later, the door flew open to the smiling face of Yamoshi...who's look quickly turned to stunned. "Aye. Commander Soi."
The room behind him fell into silence. Soi looked over his shoulder into the room where a group of guilty looking bastards looked back at her. She turned her attention back to Yamoshi. "What's going on in here?"
"Ummm..."
Heichea stood and quickly walked over to the door, shoving Yamoshi out of the way. "We found something. And just wanted to share it with everyone."
"Uh huuh. And what did you find, Heichea?" Soi crossed her arms, smirking behind her blank expression. She loved to make her fellow bandits nervous.
"These!" Yamoshi stepped in again, this time proudly, and held up...a struggling Kouji between his fingers.
"Sooooooooooooi!! Kill these bastards for me!!"
Soi's eyes widened. In the back of her mind, she had both hoped and dreaded that she would find them here. She quickly put out her hand, glaring at Yamoshi. "Give him to me."
Yamoshi jerked, taken aback, then looked over to Heichea.
"GIVE HIM TO ME!" Yamoshi quickly obeyed, placing the shaken Kouji into her hand.
Soi quickly cupped her hand around him and held him close to her chest, looking down to make sure he was okay. Kouji smiled up to her in answer.
Soi looked back to Yamoshi. "And where is the other?"
"Other..?"
"The girl. Don't play stupid. That game gets old."
Heichea stepped foward, towering over Soi's tall frame by 4 inches or so. "We don't know what you're talking about."
Soi opened her mouth to protest, when Yamoshi chimed in.
"Yeah you do. You have her. Remember? We traded and all that." He looked to Soi. "And he lied. Everyone paid more to see her than they did to see him!"
Soi held out her free hand to Heichea, her expression threatening.
Heichea threw a similar expression to Yamoshi, then reluctantly handed the small girl over to his commander.
Soi nodded, wrapping her fingers around Tian, whom she felt trembling slightly. She placed Tian in the same hand as Kouji, then turned, slamming the door in the others' faces.
As she made her way down to her own room, the looked down at the duo and shook her head. "What were you two doing...out...of..." She froze and looked down at Tian.
Tian's head was bowed, her knees tucked up under her, and her arms were crossed over her breasts which were slightly showing due to her torn dress.
"Tian..." Soi whispered. "What did he do to you...?"
Kouji looked up at Soi and frowned, sadly, then crawled over to Tian, wrapping his arms around her. Tian collapsed in his embraced and her tiny shoulders began to shake.
The heat from Soi's palm intensified as her own blood began to boil. She quickly reached for Kyang's hand and careful transferred the tiny duo from her hand to his.
Kyang looked at her in surprise. "What are you doing?"
"Stay here..."
Kyang watched as Soi turned and walked back to the room, where men were slowly pouring out of.

Chapter 17 by Twinchy2Ember2Tian

The Luck of Mt. Reikaku

Chapter 17

 

Kyang watched as Soi turned and walked back to the room, where men were slowly pouring out of.
As Soi entered, several of the men quickened their speed to get down the veranda.
Kouji kept Tian in his embrace and looked up towards the door as the sound of struggling began a few doors down.

"YOU BASTARD!!" Soi grabbed the larger bandit by the collar of his top and literally threw him out of the room. Heichea's rough fall took out a small portion of the railing as he broke through, landing on the dirt ground.
Heichea scrambled backwards, showing actual fear compared to the deadly rage in his commander's eyes. "N-now, Soi. Let's not be irrational."
Soi jumped from the veranda, her feet landing directly on Heichea's chest, silencing him. "I do not lack rationality, Mr. Heichea." The large man shuddered at the calmness in her voice. "I lack compassion towards the perverted dicks in this stronghold that would DARE take advantage of ..." Soi shook her head in digust and stepped down on either side of his head and crossed her arms, glaring down at him.
"I uh...don't know what you're.."
In a flash, Soi whipped out her dagger from her boot and bent down, holding the blade against his neck. "Don't you dare deny it."

By now, most of the men in the area had seen the commotion and were starting to rush over. A couple of them were starting to pull out their arms, making Kyang and Kouji's eyes widen.
"Kyang, you have to stop her."
Kyang looked down at Kouji like he was insane. "You want me...to stop HER? Look at her! I'm afraid if I touch her, my finger will melt or something."
Even Tian had perked up enough to stare in complete flabbergation (is that even a word? :P) at the going-ons.

"What the HELL is going on here?" Genrou walked over calmly, separating the group as he made his way over. "Soi?? What are you doing?"
At the sound of Genrou's voice, Soi was snapped back to reality and she looked up. Genrou raised an eyebrow at the whimpering Heichea and shook his head. "Someone take him out of here."
Two of the guards immediately grabbed Heichea's arms, pulling him up off the ground as Soi stood up.
Genrou waved a hand, dismissing the remaining onlooker, and eyed Soi. "Ya know? I don't even want to know. And we'll pass the judgement later." Genrou gave Soi another glance over and then turned to leave.
"Wait!" Soi reached out and took Genrou by the shoulder and swung him around to face her again. "Don't you see? Everyone now knows what happened. Everyone knows what happened to Kouji and Tian. That's not normal! How exactly are we supposed to explain that?"
Genrou looked at her sternly. "Hmm. I'll have to think about it. We'll meet later tonight to discuss it. In the meantime, stay in your room. It seems to be the only way for you to not bring attention to yourself."
Soi narrowed her eyes but remained silent as Genrou turned again and walked off.
Soi sighed and stuck her knife back into her boot and walked back up onto the veranda. She gently placed her hand on Kyang's shoulder, indicating for him to follow her, and then headed back to her room.


"Tian, are you alright?"
Tian looked up from the table over to Soi who sat on her bed, looking at her small companion with concern. Tian pulled out a half-smile and nodded. "Yes. Yes, I'm fine. It just...took me by surprise is all." She pulled the hankerchief closer around her body and shuddered. "I shouldn't have let it get to me."
Soi snorted slightly and shook her head. "Please. I can't think of anyone who wouldn't get upset in a situation like that."
Tian nodded and lowered her head, letting herself get lost in thought.

Soi looked her little friend over, sadly, then let her gaze wander over to Kyang who was actually putting the last touches on Tian's dress. Soi stood and walked over to him, placing a hand on his shoulder. "Hmmph. You weren't lying, Kyang."
Kyang looked up at her, confused. "About what?"
"About you wanting to be a farmer. There aren't many bandits who would take their time learning to sew."
Kyang smiled and looked back down as he worked. "My mother taught me. She always hated the voilent life....hated what my father did. She never wanted me to be like him. But..."
Soi squeezed his shoulder, comfortingly. "But..?"
Kyang shrugged. "But I felt like I had to be like him. Or at least had to want to be like him. I always felt like I let him down. And that by me becoming a bandit, I could somehow...make him proud of me."
"..but at the same time, letting your mother down?"
Kyang stopped working and looked up at Soi, silently. Finally, he sighed and nodded. "Aye. Good point. So I've made some bad choices. It's not like I"m the only person who-"
"No." Soi kneeled down beside him. "I don't see any bad choices in your story. You only became a bandit because you wanted to make your father happy. But at the same time you wanted to be with your mother. And live the simple life. Right?"
Kyang looked into Soi's eyes and nodded. "Yes."
Soi smiled. "Well, there you go."
"Heh. You're a great person, Soi. I'm glad...I'm honored to know you."
Soi's smile did not fade, but it now held no emotion in it. "A lot of people would disagree with you there."
"Maybe. But it would only come from the people who never knew you."
Soi bowed her head, letting her hair shield her face, as a tear escaped her eye.


Kouji quietly stood from the beanbag bed on the table and walked over to the edge, sitting beside the prone figure in white. "Um...how you holding up?"
Tian lifted her head and smiled, softly. "I'm fine. Really. I'm not hurt."
Kouji turned to her. "Not physically..."
Tian turned and met his gaze. "No. Not physically. And as for the rest...I'll get over it. It's already passing."
"Tian, I uh...I'm sorry. It was my fault. I should have listened to you. I know it's hard to believe but...I kinda have a big ego-"
Tian grinned. "You? Noooooooooo."
Kouji chuckled. "But I just wanted to apologize. It was very stupid of me to leave the room."
Tian nodded. "Yes..yes it was." She turned and looked at Kouji in the eyes. "But you are forgiven." She held out her hand to him. "Acquaintences?"
Kouji raised an eyebrow. "Just acquaintances?"
Tian smiled, slyly. "Well...we both seem to want the same thing. And we would shove each other off this table in a heartbeat to win her. Am I right?"
Kouji grinned and clasped her hand, shaking it. "Acquaintances."


(Later that evening...)

Genrou paced back and forth in the middle of the room. "He said he'd be here. Where the hell is he?!"
Soi lay sideways on her bed, propping herself up by her elbow. Before her, on the bed, stood Tian and Kouji."Oh don't worry about it. You know Chichiri is always fashionably late."
Kyang pulled a chair over, setting it next to the bed, and sat down. "Do you think he has the cure?"
Genrou threw his hands in the air. "Who knows? We never will unless he gets his a-"
A split second warning was given before the familiar explosion hit the room. Genrou managed to dive out of the way; Kyang quickly placed his hands on his ears to soften the blow; Soi quickly reached out, covering Tian and Kouji protectively with her cupped hands; and Kouji, who hadn't experienced the defeaning enterance, quickly grabbed Tian and held onto her tightly.
As the smoke cleared, the party looked over to Chichiri, who grinned excitedly. "I found something new!"
Genrou grinned and clapped his hands together. "Excellent! What have you found?"
"Welllllll...I didn't find anything YET. But I know it's gonna be soon!"
Genrou's face fell. "Soon?" He reached out, grabbing Chichiri, and shook him. "Quicker, Chichiri!"
Chichiri raised an eyebrow. "Well, once you let me go I'll be able to start working on it!"
"Fine!" Genrou released him and crossed his arms.
Soi uncupped her hands, revealing a still shaken Kouji. "So what's the idea, Chichiri?" She carefully reached down and gently pried Kouji off the nearly blue Tian.
Chichiri clasped his hands together and walked over to Soi. "Well, I was talking to my sensai, Taiisukun, and she had an idea. It involves me putting extreme concentration into it though. You see I have to make an object using telekineses and my mind. After days of meditation, it should form into a staff that I can use to turn them back to normal." He pointed to Kouji and Tian. "It's called Alchemy Break."
Tian's ears perked up and she stood, a bit unstable, on the bed. "I've heard of that."
Chichiri raised an eyebrow in surprise. "You have, eh?"
Tian nodded. "Yes. I had heard my father talk of such back in the day."
"Hai. Well, I should get to work on this immediately." He raised his hands, ready to poof out.
"WAAAAAAAIT!"
Chichiri shot a surprised look over to Genrou. "Heh?"
"What about Kouji?? I can't have my 2nd in command STAY THIS WAY!!"
"Humm. Of course. Give me til morning. Let me rest and Kouji will be back to his normal ways tomorrow."
Genrou grumbled a few obsceneties under this breath. "F-fine...tomorrow. BUT FIRST THING!!"
Chichiri smiled and raised his hands.
"Gah!!"
"Take cover!!"
"Eh?...AAAAAAAH!"
The familiar explosion occured once again as Chichiri disappeared from the room.
Kouji looked out from between Soi's fingers. "Can't he ever just use the door?"
As the smoke cleared, it became apparent that Genrou had excused himself as well.
Soi smiled. "Well, it's late. Time for all commanders and rookies to go to bed."
Kyang nodded. "I think I shall bunk with Yuto tonight."
Tian creased her brow. "Who's Yuto?"
Kouji looked over to her and grinned.. "You know. The gay sewing guy who made your dress."
Kyang smiled and bowed to the trio, then quietly exited out of Soi's room.

Soi scooped the tiny couple into her hands and gently deposited them onto the bedside table. She stood, stretching a bit, and walked over to her closet where she disappeared inside.
Tian crawled onto her beanbag chair and settled in, happy that the day was about to be over.
Inside her closet, Soi slipped out of her clothes, unbinding her breasts, and threw on her big white shirt.
Back on the table, Kouji stood with his eyes glued to the closet. Even Tian had turned her head and was gazing at the closet door.
A few moments later, Soi stepped back into view. Her usual white shirt did nothing to hide her figure now that her breasts were unbound and her long shapely legs were revealed.
She was just pulling her hair down as she walked out of her closet, when she felt the familiar pairs of eyes staring at her. She looked over towards the bedside table.
"What?! Why does everyone decide to look at me when I'm about to go to bed?"
Tian buried her face into the bed and Kouji shrugged his shoulders. "No...particular reason, I wouldn't think."
Soi rolled her eyes and crawled into bed, pulling the covers over her.
Kouji cleared his throat. He suddenly ran off of the side table and landed on Soi's bed with a thud.
Soi blinked and sat up, feeling a familiar thump. "...Kouji?"
Kouji smiled. "Eh. I don't know that Tian girl that well. ...could I sleep with you?"
Soi raised an eyebrow. "Um...well, that's probably not the best idea. I might hurt you."
"Well, you sleep on your back don't you?"
Soi nodded. "...yeah."
"Then I know a safe place to sleep!" Kouji's eyes flew up to the table where Tian was peeking over in curiosity. He smirked in her direction.
Soi frowned slightly. "Well, I guess it's alright. It's not like you haven't seen everything." She slowly laid her head back down on her pillow.
Tian narrowed her eyes at Kouji as he proceeded to climb up onto Soi's stomach, walking up to her chest where he laid down between her mountainous breasts.
Soi smirked. "Comfortable, Kouji?"
Kouji's smile never left his face as he closed his eyes and settled in. "Oh yeaaaah."
Soi's left hand lifted up and laid on her pillow beside her head while her right hand came to rest slightly on top of Kouji to keep him warm. Her eyes drifted over to the bedside table, where Tian immediately began to back away, sheepishly. She grinned. "Goodnight, Tian."
Tian stood up and softly waved to her. "Goodnight, Soi." She darted back over to her bed, shaking with rage. "...Kouji..."
Soi lifted her free hand and licked her fingers, then quickly squeezed the candle wick, silencing the light.



This story archived at http://www.giantessworld.net/viewstory.php?sid=23