- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
This story originated from a long role play (that is still in the process) done by the author: Courtney and the editor and co-author: Joanna. Do NOT take title, comments, strong resembling ideas; do not copy and paste and post elsewhere without permission! Thank you. 

The Luck of Mt. Reikaku
Chapter 1
Author: Courtney
Editor: Joanna

Chapter 1
 
 
            The most beautiful time for the stronghold was just before sunrise. The abnormal colors of purple tinged green and red filled the sky; its shadows falling over the roofs of the tribe. One would hope to find peace and tranquility in such a place. Though at times it was, for the most part it was up and running on full force to defend or attack it's surrounding neighbors. The life of a bandit wasn't always easy, nor did it give one the feeling of accomplishment. Though, it always did depend on the reason.
            The stronghold, which proudly rested on Mt. Reikaku, was one of many holding places for bandits throughout the south. The only difference was...the stronghold lived up to its name. It was indeed the strongest of them all. The enemies that fought against the stronghold did it for glory. Survivors that fled after the long battles surrendered without distraught by the loss, but instead proud of the fact that they had indeed stood up to the mighty stronghold and lived.
            To be an ally toward the stronghold was quite an achievement. So it wasn't entirely uncommon to receive rookies who claimed they were strong and brave enough to fight on their side. Newbies always did tend to bring their own adventures with them. But one particular rookie far exceeded the expectations of the stronghold leaders, for she was certainly not the barer of good luck...
            Then again, without her...I suppose there would be no story. As a matter of fact, the day of her arrival is where the story begins...
 
            "Word from our observers is that she is definitely one of the best they have seen, especially for such a young age."
Kouji looked up from the map in front of him. "Perhaps so, but they also believed that ‘Tiro the Clumsy’ was going to be our best at the dagger."
Genrou nodded and sighed unsure. "Yes, that’s true. But I suppose we gotta somewhat trust their judgment at least."
"Maybe a test could be made for her?" Kouji rolled up the map and placed it in the holder beside him and stood up.
"Yes, I did think that. We still need the quest for the Suzaku Stones cleared up. The Bargole (close neighbors) claimed that the power from the forest up north from their hold is strengthening. They say that weird things have been happening among their people."
"That seems quite a difficult task for a rookie, Genrou."
Genrou stroked his chin in thought. "Yes. I do believe you're right. So we’ll send Soi with her."
Kouji snorted. "Yes. I'm sure she'd just love to take a newbie out on a leash."
"Well, she'll just have to suck it up. We need you here for multiple purposes of which ya know. I can’t go and I'd rather not have one of the guards take her. It's best for it to be a leader and 3rd in command sounds like a good position to take to the task. Right? What do you think?"
"Um, I think I'll let you be the messenger this time."
Genrou crossed his arms.
Kouji frowned at this, knowing he wasn't going to get anywhere. "No way."
"Kouji..."
"Genrou! Why me?!"
"Because I have other non-dangerous things to attend to that's why! Now go find her. I must tend to my ‘duties’."
Kouji rolled his eyes in protest but stood up anyway, heading out towards his own duties.
 
KNOCK KNOCK!! "Soi! You awake yet?! Get your lazy ass up! You have a task ahead of you!!"
Soi quickly sat up in bed and looked out the window. "Oh shit!"
She easily recognized the voice of her close partner outside her bedroom door. "Ugh! Hold it, Kouji! I'll be right out!"
            She quickly jumped out of her bed and ran to her closet and looked through her choices of clothing. She never had any desire to dress feminine in any way- in fact her entire wardrobe consisted of manly taste. She pulled out a white shirt that crossed over and held together in the front by a belt. Before getting dressed she did what she always did, she bound her large breasts to make them look as flat as possible. She did not give them any credit to her appearance and only found them a nuisance because they tended to get in the way of battle. Quickly, she pulled her shirt and pants on, finishing off with her boots, which she tucked her pant legs in.
Hearing an impatient Kouji outside her door once again, she smiled and opened it to let him in.
 
            Kouji's nervous appearance took on a new approach as he faced the 19-year-old girl. He knew that despite Soi's attempts to hide her famine beauty, she was the stronghold's golden fleece. There were only two other women at the stronghold, but she was the one who made at least one head turn no matter where she went. Her long midnight blue hair hung down nearly past her waist for she apparently forgot to braid it up due to the hurry she was in. Her bright, hard green eyes held little emotion but there was a fierily spark in them at all times. Kouji lowered his gaze to her long well toned legs, which made up most of her 5'9" stature.
            Soi crossed her arms at his silence and cleared her throat. "Isn't there something you want to say to me? Or did you just wake me up for the purpose of wanting to get your ass kicked?"
Kouji grinned at this and looked back up into her eyes. "Ah yes. Genrou has a job for you! He felt you'd be the perfect one to take it on."
Soi smirked at this and turned back to her room, letting Kouji follow her inside. She sat on her bed and began to brush her long hair, preparing to braid it, which took a bit of time. "So? You gonna let me in on it?"
"Oh! Er...yea. Well, you see...um.... we’re getting a new archer today."
"Oh really? Is he good?"
"Well, actually it's a she not a he."
Soi stopped brushing her hair and looked at him with a raise of her eyebrow. There were after all only a few women in the stronghold so far, of course. So, it was rare to hear of such news.
"I see...Well, is she good then?"
Kouji took a seat in the chair beside her bed. "Well, the observers seem to think so."
Soi snorted at this. "Yes well, they also thought that ‘Tiro the Clumsy’ would come to be our best at the dagger."
Kouji laughed. "Yes! That's what I said! So anyway, Genrou feels that a test would be appropriate for her to prove her abilities and so forth."
Soi looked up from her brushing and nodded, approvingly. "I totally agree."
"Yes, so Genrou felt she should take on the quest for the Suzaku stones."
"The Suzaku Stones?! Is he insane? Does he think she can actually do it?"
"Well, no not really. I mean he feels that it is quite a heavy burdened quest and all..."
"Ya think?"
"But that's why I've come to you. Genrou wants you to go with her, to help train her and so forth."
Soi dropped her brush on her bed and looked at Kouji with a blank expression. "No."
"Soi..."
"NO! I am NOT wasting my time on some little punk ass female rookie! No no NO!"
She crossed her arms in defiance and glared at Kouji in the face.
"Hey! Don't look at me that way." He raised his hands in defense. "This is Genrou's order. You'll have to take it up with him!"
"Fine! I will!" Soi picked up her brush and finished her braiding at lightening speed, then stomped out the door.
Kouji smirked and stood up to follow her.
 
"GENROU!" Soi made her way down the aisle of the dining room to the head of the table and flopped herself down next to him. "Genrou, how could you put me on a mission like this?!"
Genrou rolled his eyes. "Soi, I thought you wanted to take on the task to find the Suzaku Stones?"
"Well, yeah I did! And I still do! But not with a little tag-a-long!"
"Soi, if what I've heard is right, today we will be getting the greatest archer in the north! I need for her to prove her stability in as many situations as possible. I need her to go on the quest with you! Besides, you're the best one for the case anyway. You are a girl after all."
Soi frowned heavily. "So?!"
"There is no 'so' in this! You will do this. That is an order!" He placed up his hand to keep her from protesting.
Soi opened her mouth to do so anyway, when a guard appeared between them.
"Sir Genrou! The new archer, Kesbei Tian, is here, sir."
Soi raised an eyebrow. "Kesbei Tian? What kind of a name is that?"
Genrou ignored Soi's comment and smiled and looking at him. "Ah. Excellent. Go on now, tend to your duties."
Soi grumbled under her breath and gave Genrou a death look.
Kouji, who had been sitting on the other side of Genrou, beamed with excitement and jumped up from his seat, running out to see what this newbie was like.
Soi stood up and reluctantly followed.
 
            Tian nervously and somewhat timidly approached the gates of the stronghold. The two guards on the other side looked at her in question.
She swallowed and licked her lips, looking up at the strong appearance guards in awe. She had no idea exactly what came to play on the other side of the walls. Her father, a bandit himself, had told her tales of his experiences in battle and such. He had been teaching her how to use a bow since the day she turned two...and she definitely had a knack for it since the beginning. They were the only times her father wanted to spend time with her. Her father was cruel and hard, having lost many friends in battle, it made living with him hard. Her parents always fought, she and her mother were almost always beaten. Tian had learned to stand up for herself, but she was not cold. She had not let her father get to her in that stance; but she was strong and determined.
            Bracing herself once more, she nodded to the guards. "I am Kesbei Tian, an archer from the north. I have been asked to come here. Could you um...please let me in?"
            The guards smirked at her politeness but opened the gate for her anyway. Tian took in a deep breath and walked in unsure, keeping a tight grip on her bow.
            Nearly all eyes were turned upon her as she walked through. Tian wasn’t the strongest looking there was and wasn't even dressed for the part. Her traveling attire consisted of a black mini-dress with long dark green sleeves and a matching belt around her middle. Her knee-high black boots covered her equally dark green tights from the knee down. Half of her dark green hair was pulled up into pigtails on the top of her head while the rest of it rested on her shoulders.
            A couple of the guards covered their mouths to keep from laughing at her appearance. Her 4'10" stature didn't do anything to help the situation. Despite her appearance, she was no push over and she would soon let them know that if she got the chance. Ignoring them, she continued to walk forward until she heard a voice calling to her from off to the left. She turned and watched as a guy who looked like someone of importance ran up to her.
Kouji approached her happily and eyed her up and down. "Hello there! Welcome to the stronghold! My name is Kouji!" He held out his hand for her to shake.
Tian took his hand and shook it solemnly, looking up into his smiling face. He stood about 6'2" and had fantastic blue hair that hung around his shoulders. A light scar ran across his right cheek and met near his dark green eyes that sparkled with excitement.
Tian nodded up to him. "Nice to meet you, Kouji." She curtsied lightly getting more laughs from the guards nearby. "My name is Tian."
Before he could respond, Soi appeared beside him and raised an eyebrow down at Tian.
Tian gulped slightly looking up into the hard eyes of the newcomer. Her expression seemed a bit cold and she crossed her arms, looking down at Tian who was nearly a foot shorter than her.
"Genrou expects me to take this with me on a quest to find the Suzaku Stones? You've got to be kidding me."
Tian found her voice and spoke. "The Suzaku Stones? What are those?"
Soi closed her eyes and took a deep breath before opening them again. "Wow. This is going to be grand. Listen up, girly...I suppose you don't know of Suzaku where you come from. Here, he is our god. And you will show respect for him."
Tian nodded, understanding. She had never bothered to show respect or even acknowledge any of the gods, but better late than never.
"Well, my name is Soi. And I suppose I'll be your guide for today."
Tian smiled a bit and offered her hand. "I'm Tian."
Soi eyed Tian's hand but didn't shake it. "Whatever. Come on then, girly. Genrou wants to see you." She turned and headed back towards the dining hall.
            Tian clutched her bow harder to herself, feeling she had fallen into something terrible. Kouji stood beside her and wrapped a friendly arm around her, pulling her close. "Don't worry! She acts all tough like that a lot, but really she's just a big softy. Haha."
Tian nodded again, falling silent, and let Kouji lead her to the dining hall.
 
"Ah! There she is!" Genrou stood up and acknowledge the small girl beside Kouji. "Welcome. I've heard quite a few good things about you. I hope you live up to them."
Tian smiled slightly. "Thank you. I hope to live up to them as well. I have heard many great things from here. It is an honor to serve here in the stronghold, sir. I hope I will do it proud."
"Aha!" Genrou laughed and turned to Soi and Kouji. "I like her already. Anyway, has either of these two idiots informed you of your test?”
"Um, I believe so. The Sakuku...I mean the Sakakuzu...the um..."
Genrou raised an eyebrow but still kept a smile on his face. "Suzaku?"
"Yes! The Suzaku Stones?"
"Yes, yes. The Suzaku Stones. Soi will be your guide while on your quest. You will look up to her for questions and leadership, etcetera."
Tian looked up at Soi who kept her eyes on Genrou. "That won't be hard to, sir."
Genrou laughed. "Good. Then it is settled." He turned to face everyone in the room. "LISTEN UP!"
Everyone fell silent after a few moments. "Listen! I know you have all heard of the mystery of the Suzaku stones! No one knows where they are or what powers they harness. But we do know that our fellow neighbors feel there is something happening in the forest near their hold...the former resting place of Suzaku." He turned to Tian and held out his hand towards her.
Tian cautiously took it and let Genrou pull her over to stand in front of him.
"This is Tian. She is a great archer from the north. She is here to help in this case! Tian and Soi will leave in a few hours to go find out what is wrong and possibly figure out the mystery of the Suzaku stones! So, wish them luck!"
Tian blushed as everyone in the room either clapped or cheered to them.
Once the noise died down, everyone took a seat. Kouji patted the seat next to him while eyeing Tian, and she gratefully sat down next to him.
Genrou looked at Tian carefully. "Now, Tian, you must remember now that you're here...this isn't just about having a great shot and good at hunting animals and such. You do realize the dangers do you not?"
Tian nodded. "I do, sir."
"Good. Soi will provide you with a sword and dagger for the close fights ahead."
"I already have a dagger, sir. I will use no other; It was my father's."
Genrou smiled. "Of course, that’s fine! But you will need a sword. Do you know how to use one?"
"I have used one before yes. Though I am ashamed to say I'm not the best at it."
Genrou laughed. "Well, not everyone is. But as long as you feel you are handy enough with it, that's fine by me."
"Yes, sir. Thank you, sir."
"Great! Soi, take her to the armory. It's time for you two to be off."
 
Tian followed Soi closely as they walked into a hidden room down the veranda. The walk over remained silent and Tian felt extremely uncomfortable but decided not to push it.
Soi walked over to a couple of swords lying on a table and picked each of them up one by one. Finally feeling one light enough, she walked back over to Tian who stood in the doorway and handed it to her. "You're awfully small; you don't want anything to bulky on you. It will way you down in battle."
Tian frowned a bit but took it anyway.
"And here, put these on!" She handed her some thick leather skins to wear over her clothing.
Tian eyed them but shook her head slowly. "If you don't mind, I'd rather not. It is best for an archer to be light."
Soi smirked and rolled her eyes. "Well, they're not that heavy. I didn't think you were THAT scrawny."
"I am not scrawny! But those do tend to weigh one down."
"Well...put them on anyway. No need to get all cocky and get yourself killed."
Tian huffed but put them on anyway. She didn't want to put any more of a wall between Soi and her then there already was.
"Alright! Come with me." Tian followed Soi as they walked down the veranda once more and into a normal looking bedroom.
Soi waved her hand around. "Welcome to my wonderful room. It isn't the cleanest in the world but whatever."
I leaned next to the doorframe and watched as she went to her closet and pulled out two bags, one she laid on her bed, and the other she tossed to Tian. "Put your supplies in that. It's lighter than your bag, I'm sure."
Tian walked over to the bed beside her and pulled off her own bag, taking her stuff out and putting the necessary ones in the bag Soi provided. Once she was finished, she sat down in the chair from which Kouji sat in earlier, and watched as Soi finished packing.
At one point, Tian's eyes widened as Soi reached under her bed and pulled out a long spear type thing with a blade about a foot and a half in length on one end and a powerful looking dagger on the other.
"What is that?!" Tian pointed, amazed.
Soi actually smiled a bit at her astonishment. "This is a Naginata. This end..." She motioned to the long blade. "...is good for, ya know, the slashing and decapitation of things. And this end..." she pointed towards the dagger. "Is good for...well, stabbing."
Tian nodded, impressed.       
Soi placed the Naginata in a sheath on her back and pulled on some thick leather skins herself and threw her cloak on. She slung her bag over her shoulder, placing a sword in a sheath on her belt.

"Alrighty then, girly, let's go." She led the way out the door with Tian tagging along behind her.