Luna's Ascension by SpookyTaco
Summary:

Ascended women, ten to thirteen feet in height, comprise ninety-nine percent of the world’s population. Matriarchal society forces the few remaining men to marry at a young age.

A husband and his unascended wife, a rare combination, struggle to live in this oversized world. She promised she’d never ascend. Can a marriage survive when a promise is unintentionally broken?


Categories: Giantess, Adventure, Humiliation, Young Adult 20-29, Couples , Gentle, Growing Woman, Lesbians, New World Order Characters: None
Growth: Amazon (7 ft. to 15 ft.)
Shrink: None
Size Roles: F/m
Warnings: Following story may contain inappropriate material for certain audiences
Challenges: None
Series: Ascended
Chapters: 9 Completed: No Word count: 24592 Read: 97101 Published: September 16 2014 Updated: October 18 2014

1. Chapter 1 by SpookyTaco

2. Chapter 2 by SpookyTaco

3. Chapter 3 by SpookyTaco

4. Chapter 4 by SpookyTaco

5. Chapter 5 by SpookyTaco

6. Chapter 6 by SpookyTaco

7. Chapter 7 by SpookyTaco

8. Chapter 8 by SpookyTaco

9. Chapter 9 by SpookyTaco

Chapter 1 by SpookyTaco

Eight.

 

I dropped the seventy pound dumbbells onto the pillows and listened to my body. My stomach demanded food, my chest and arm muscles approached exhaustion, but my shoulders were pain free — a good sign.

 

Coated with sweat, the vinyl bench peeled from my back like Saran wrap as I sat up. The morning sun poured through the basement window, illuminating a swath of air and forming a segmented square on the carpet. Breathing heavily, elbows resting on my thighs, I observed the far wall, the dancing dust particles, the transient shadow —

 

Shit.

 

I hopped off the bench as the garage door churned, and retrieved my white t-shirt from the floor. It soaked up the sweat on my torso, but I didn’t care. Regan would love to see me with my shirt off, and I refused to give her the opportunity.

 

After moving one of the dumbbells back to its spot on the rack, she burst into the room, large plastic bags in each hand. Her head nearly reached the top of the twelve-foot doorway, and her nut brown hair looked different. Shorter, it covered her ears and temples as if windblown from behind.

 

“Ash!” She dropped the bags, turned on the fluorescents, and crossed the spacious room in a few strides. “Don’t tell me you’ve been using weights.”

 

“It’s called lifting weights, and I didn’t work up this sweat running laps in the back yard.” I reached for the other dumbbell.

 

“Not funny.” She bent down, slipped a single finger around the dumbbell grip before I could grab it, and hoisted it into the air as if it weighed nothing. “If you don’t stop, I’ll tell Luna.”

 

“Tell me what?”

 

My wife walked in, her arms wrapped around a container of hot cocoa mix. In contrast to Regan, her head didn’t even reach the doorknob. But like Regan, her hair had changed. Though it still fell to her chest in dirty blond waves, it was shinier, trimmed, and framed her curious expression in a heart melting way.

 

“Your husband has been lifting weights again.” Stooping, she placed the dumbbell in the empty spot on the rack.

 

“I like watching him lift weights.” Luna smiled, a smile that brightened the room far more than the bulbs burning overhead. The way her four front teeth tilted inward slightly, her canines sticking out like miniature fangs; it was the cutest thing in the world.

 

“Thank you, honey.” I crossed the room, took the container from her hands, and bent slightly to kiss her on the lips.

 

“Luna.” Regan stomped over, placing hands on hips that loomed well above the top of my head. At more than double my height, she was trying to intimidate, but failing as usual. “The doctor said he shouldn’t use weights until his shoulders heal.”

 

“Oh.” Luna’s brow furrowed into an expression of concern. Her brown eyes, one cloudy and one clear, were distant. “I remember —”

 

“Did you do something with your hair?” My question resurrected her smile. “It looks very pretty.”

 

She blushed, eyes darting to the floor. “We went to a hair and nail salon.”

 

“Oh, come on!” Regan hooked her fingers through the grocery bags. “You two act like you’re teenagers on a first date.”

 

“You’re just jealous.” I looped my free arm around a cylinder of oatmeal and headed to the stairs.

 

“You’re right. I’m jealous Luna married you instead of me. But that doesn’t give you the right to injure yourself doing that silly bench press.”

 

“We’re back on that topic again?” I took the stairs slowly. Like almost everything else, they were built for women, and I carried fifty pounds of food in my arms.

 

“We never left that topic.” She barged around me, climbing stairs two at a time. “It’s only been a month since your injury, and the doctor said to wait six weeks.”

 

“It wasn’t an injury; my shoulders just started hurting, and now they’re fine. I completed my entire workout without any pain.” I paused at the top of the stairs to catch my breath.

 

She set the groceries on the kitchen table, turned to me, and plucked the items from my arms. Then, she knelt. “Listen Ash. I do care about you, and not just because you’re married to my best friend. Please take care of your body. You and Luna don’t heal as fast. If you mess up your shoulders now, you’ll regret it later.”

 

“Beep. Beep.” Luna reached the top step and passed me, carrying a loaf of bread in her arms like a forklift. The serious atmosphere crumbled, and a grin crawled across my face.

 

Regan sighed. “You two are hopeless.” Though she turned her head, I caught a hint of a smile as she rose to her full height. No one could resist Luna’s infectious cheerfulness, not even Regan.

 

“I’ll go get the rest of the groceries.” I descended the stairs.

 

“Get one bag, and don’t try to lift the heavy ones.”

 

“Yes, mother!”

 

She wasn’t my mother; she was Luna’s roommate from college and our current neighbor. And even though I gave her a hard time, I wasn’t sure how we’d survive without her.

 

***

 

After taking a shower, I donned jeans and a long sleeve shirt since it was sixty-five degrees outside. Three white pictures decorated the front of the black shirt with labels underneath each: EAT, SLEEP, CODING. Luna had given it to me as a birthday gift, and I cherished it.

 

Three months. That was how long people said it lasted — the “honeymoon phase”, a period of newness, excitement, and eye-rolling affection. Although we’d only been married for a couple of months, I didn’t see the “phase” ever ending.

 

Both twenty-three years old, we grew up together as children, dated as teenagers, and experienced many of our “firsts” together. Though we’d attended separate colleges, she’d never left my mind. My love for her had never diminished.

 

I left our bedroom, then charged down the wide hallway. She sat on the couch, eating, watching television, and I had to give her a — 

 

A massive leg stepped out from the kitchen. I collided with it, my head bouncing off an upper thigh before I fell back onto my butt.

 

“Ashley!” Regan held a plate in one hand and a sandwich in the other. “What the hell? You almost made me drop my food.”

 

“You know I don’t like to be called that.” I rubbed my forehead, sweeping aside my wet, disheveled hair to assess the damage.

 

“Are you hurt?” Concern replaced the annoyance in her tone.

 

“No.” I shook my head and rose unsteadily to my feet, bracing myself with an arm against her bare leg. She wore shorts; Ascended didn’t get cold as easily as Luna and myself.

 

“Do you want some of my sandwich before we go to the mall?”

 

“Yes, please.” Dizziness abated, I zipped around her legs and clambered onto the couch. I crawled onto the same cushion as Luna and kissed her, sucking the breadcrumbs from her lips.

 

“What was that for?” Her delighted expression made me want to go in for another, but I resisted.

 

“I haven’t seen you in a while.”

 

“Oh, for crying out loud.” Regan lowered a plate of food to me. “It’s been twenty minutes.”

 

“I like the smell of your shampoo.” Luna’s right eye, the one not occluded by a cerulean cataract, sparkled with mischief. We were partners in crime, and Regan could do nothing about it.

 

“Take the plate.” She inserted the dish between us, breaking my trance.

 

I grabbed the edges of the plate with both hands, and lowered it onto my lap. At five-foot nine, when sitting upright, I could extend my legs fully without my feet going beyond the bounds of the cushion. At five-foot three, Luna could do the same, however she sat cross-legged as usual.

 

Regan plopped onto the cushion adjacent to Luna and chomped into her sandwich. Speaking with her mouth full, she said, “Eat up. We’re leaving in fifteen minutes.”

 

My plate consisted of a fourth of a ham sandwich, a banana, two pickles, and some potato chips. Using both hands, I picked up the sandwich, then opened my mouth as wide as possible. My teeth severed a chunk of bread, mustard, ham, and cheese — not particularly tasty, but filling nonetheless.

 

Regan peeled a banana and consumed nearly the entire fruit in a single bite. “You know Ash, you don’t have to come with us.”

 

“You said he could come.” Luna frowned.

 

Regan swallowed. “Of course he can come. I just figured he might not be interested in shopping for clothing.”

 

“If he’s not coming, I’m staying home.”

 

Regan rolled her eyes. “You two are inseparable. I’m lucky he let you go to the salon with me this morning, though he does need a haircut.”

 

“We don’t get to see each other much on the weekdays.” I bit into a pickle.

 

“And I think his hair looks good.” Luna combed her fingers through my hair and down the back of my neck.

 

“You’re even completing each other’s sentences.” She finished her banana and peeled another. “Hopeless.”

 

“Is Addie coming?” Luna asked.

 

“Of course,” Regan said. “She was bummed enough that she had to work this morning.”

 

“Oh good. I can’t wait until she sees my new haircut. I hope she likes it.”

 

“Are you kidding?” Regan asked. “She’ll love it.”

 

“Guess that means we’re not taking my car.” I tried to conceal my disappointment.

 

Regan laughed. “We wouldn’t take your car even if she wasn’t coming. I can barely fit in that thing and Luna would have to sit on my lap. Not that I’d mind, but still.”

 

“Well, I’m not riding in that car seat.” I stuffed my mouth with a chip as large as my hand.

 

“We’re not having this argument again. Luna, please talk to your husband.”

 

“She’s right, honey. Addie purchased them for our safety. She’s a police officer, and she could get in trouble if we don’t use them.”

 

“Only if she gets caught. Besides, that thing makes me feel like a child.”

 

“Oh, grow up,” Regan said. “Physically, you have the height of a toddler and you weigh considerably less. Mentally, you’re not a child but you sure do act like one sometimes. The seat is for your protection, so deal with it.”

 

“I’m not that short,” I mumbled.

 

“Ash, my niece just turned two and she’s an inch shorter than you. She’s normal weight, a little over two hundred pounds, and she uses a car seat. The only difference between you and her is that you’re skinny and not as cute.”

 

“He’s not skinny.” Luna massaged my shoulder. “And I think he’s extremely cute.”

 

Regan shrugged. “Callin’ it like I see it.”

 

“I haf you know”—I swallowed a mouthful of banana—“back in the nineteenth century, before the Ascension, one hundred fifty-five pounds was considered normal for a man of my height.”

 

“Well, this is 2014, not 1814. And who said you’re normal?” Regan stuck out her tongue.

 

I chuckled. “Nice one. Take you all day to think of that come back?”

 

“Nope.” She tilted her head up and spoke in a mock aristocratic accent. “As a member of the elevated race, I simply think on my feet faster than you. Comes with the bigger brain.”

 

“Yeh, whatever.” I didn’t mind the size jokes, but the intelligence jokes hit too close to home. Even though Regan meant no harm, her comment upset me.

 

Historically, men had struggled with proving themselves intellectually capable of performing the same jobs as Ascended, all of whom were women. Stereotypes abounded, and most men simply gave up, becoming Healers.

 

Since nearly all women had ascended, and since men accounted for only one percent of the world’s population, the stereotype had fallen into disuse. Today, the term “Ascended” implied “normal”, and normal women simply didn’t encounter men frequently on a daily basis.

 

With unascended women being even rarer than men, the fact that I’d married Luna never ceased to fill me with amazement. So long as she remained at my side, unascended, I could endure anything Regan or the world threw at me. We were in it together, and nothing short of Ascension or death could tear us apart.

 

And like her recently deceased mother, Luna never wanted to ascend. She’d promised me when we’d first met as children and before we’d married. Together, we’d face the challenges of an oversized world, fighting fear with shared laughter, and discouragement with heartfelt embrace.

 

We’d carve out our own little niche, and we did, every single day.

 

***

 

“Addie!” Luna ran out of the garage, arms extended wide. 

 

As Addison knelt, her short black skirt rode partially up her toned legs and her white sleeveless top offered a view of her considerable cleavage. Though not as well endowed or as tall as Regan, her trained body revealed not an ounce of fat.

 

She wrapped my wife’s body in two huge arms, and stood as they hugged. After a few seconds, she held Luna out for inspection. Given the absence of arm strain, she might as well have been holding a phone book. “I like your hair.”

 

“Thank you.” Luna stuck her hands forward, wiggling her fingers.

 

Addison’s jade eyes shifted down a notch. “And your nails. Pink always looks good on you.”

 

“And when did you get your hair done?” My wife asked, always eager to repay compliments.

 

Addison’s hair looked the same as it always did: an asymmetrical bob with bright streaks on one side, vivid against the chocolate brown. As usual, it was longer in the front and covered most of the right half of her face. The only difference was the color of the streaks — crimson instead of dark blue.

 

“You like it?” Addison never smiled. Ever. But the corners of her lips twitched once, her way of signifying how much she enjoyed my wife’s attention.

 

“It’s incredible. I wish I could make my hair that glossy and straight.”

 

“I like your hair the way it is, honey.” I walked up to Addison's leg and looked up, squinting. Though partly cloudy, the sky was bright with the early afternoon sunshine.

 

“Ash.” Addison maneuvered Luna into a one-armed hip carry, and peered down at me. My wife hugged as much of Addison as she could, nuzzling the side of her face against Addison’s shoulder and chest.

 

“Addison.” Refusing to call her Addie, I completed the sharing of our typical one-word greeting. She knew I was still upset with her about the car seats, though really, I had no grounds for my anger. All men rode in car seats, and I even sat in a modified version of one to drive my car.

 

The garage door closed from behind, and Regan appeared at my side. “Hey, babe.” She caressed her fingers against Addison’s cheek, shifting the waterfall of hair to the side. Addison’s complexion was flawless. Why she bothered to hide half her face made no sense to me.

 

Addison set Luna on the ground before engaging in an open mouth kiss with Regan. Addison’s hands gripped the sides and back of Regan’s head as they locked lips. Luna turned around, red as an apple.

 

“You two want to get a room?” I walked to the rear door of their Toyota Camry.

 

Eventually, Regan responded. “You kiss your wife in front of me. Don’t get mad if we do the same.”

 

Addison and Regan had been married for a year longer, but their displays of public affection had increased in frequency lately. If I didn’t know them better, I’d guess it was some bizarre competition. But, they truly did love each other and, in all honesty, I simply had to avoid looking up if I didn’t want to see it.

 

Though the handle was easily within reach, opening the door proved embarrassingly difficult. Hiding my struggle, I finally managed to open it, then waited for Luna to arrive. She wasn’t able to open the doors to our own car, which had a lighter frame, so she certainly wouldn’t have been able to open these.

 

As she climbed into the car, she used my clasped hands as a step, which I then lifted, boosting her into the car seat. She flipped around in the seat, faced forward, and snapped the shoulder harness over her body.

 

“So chivalrous.” Regan appeared and checked the straps, ensuring they weren’t too tight or loose. “Comfortable?”

 

“Yup,” Luna said. “I think Addie bought the best kind. I wish the ones in our car were this comfy.”

 

“We can buy some more. I’ll show you the website if you want to pick out different colors. We’ll help you install them, of course.”

 

“I installed the seats in our car just fine.” I lied; my mom had installed them after she’d purchased the car as a graduation gift. The darn things weighed more than me.

 

Regan sighed, her eyes burning into my head. “It doesn’t hurt to ask for help you know.”

 

I shrugged and walked to the other side of the car, Regan following close behind. I grabbed the handle, but with my first attempt, the door didn’t budge.

 

“I swear, you’re the only man in the world who refuses to let go of his ego.” She swept me up, saddled me against her right hip, and opened the door with her free hand. Then, she deposited me into the seat and fastened the harness.

 

I glared at her. “That was unnecessary.”

 

She grinned, knowing full well that she’d won the encounter. Naturally, she had to rub it in further. “Your seat came with a musical mobile. We removed it, but I could add it back if you’d like.”

 

“No thanks.” I deadpanned.

 

“Luna, your husband’s adorable when he’s angry.” She reached for my face and I wrapped my hand around one of her fingers.

 

“He’s always adorable.” Luna, thankfully, stared at the phone in Addison’s hands. The larger woman leaned through the open rear window, and flipped through some digital photos.

 

I smiled like the Cheshire Cat, my wife’s words reversing my mood in an instant.

 

“If you say so.” Regan smirked and withdrew her finger. Whatever part of my face she’d intended to touch, her goal of annoying me further had been thwarted.

 

She stood, then called out. “Babe, you’re driving. I’ve got to keep an eye on these two troublemakers.”

 

They swapped sides. Addison settled into the driver’s seat, rolled up the windows, and started the car. After Regan shut the passenger door, she looked back between the front seats.

 

“Now you kids behave.”

 

“You’re lucky I’m not on the other side,” I said. “I’d be kicking the back of your seat.”

 

“Oh, like your legs would reach.”

 

“They would if I wasn’t stuck in this —”

 

“Ash.” Luna’s soft tone and gentle smile arrested the words in my throat.

 

I shut my mouth.

 

“Aw, it’s no fun when you defuse him like that, Luna.” Regan faced the front and fastened her seat belt.

 

In spite of our arguments, I couldn’t wait to get to the mall. Unascended were only allowed to drive to work and locations with Security Rank A, i.e., sufficient protection to prevent abduction. The mall was Security Rank B. Luna and I couldn’t go there without a Guardian, an Ascended caretaker of sorts. Regan and Addison served as our Guardians, and we were extremely appreciative. Though Luna expressed her appreciation more than me, I thanked them both at least once a week.

 

However, that didn’t mean I planned on following them blindly around the mall once we arrived.

 

Clothes shopping wasn’t on my agenda for today.

Chapter 2 by SpookyTaco

I unfastened my harness, hopped down to the floor mat, and tugged at the interior handle. It moved freely without unlatching the door.

 

“Child safety locks.” Luna wrapped her arms around me from behind. “Just wait for them to open it.”

 

“What are they doing out there?” Instead of freeing us from our confines, Regan and Addison had opened the trunk and circled around back. Thunks could be heard from their rummaging.

 

“Aren’t you excited?” she asked.

 

I inhaled, taking in the vanilla scent of her perfume. “I’m excited to be here with you. We don’t get out enough.” I turned around and hugged her properly, her cheek against my shoulder.

 

“Exactly.” She pulled away and met my eyes. “Just remember, they didn’t have to take us. So if they ask us to do something, we should listen. They’re only trying to protect us.”

 

“I’ll protect you.”

 

She smiled. As I leaned in to kiss her irresistible lips, the door opened behind me.

 

“Alright, you two,” Regan said. “Time to get in the carriers.”

 

“Wait, what?” Before I could turn around, Regan’s hands lifted me into the air by the armpits. She deposited me into a cloth seat contraption strapped onto Addison’s back. “What the hell?”

 

“Wow, can I ride in one too?” my wife asked. She loved to be carried, though why, I had no idea.

 

“Yes.” Addison knelt, a descent like a high-speed elevator. “Turn around and stick your arms out.”

 

After Luna complied, Addison lifted her from the car and placed her into a similar device on Regan’s back. The black backpack had a white label in the middle: BabyBjörn.

 

“I’m not riding in a baby carrier.” I considered using Addison’s shoulders to pull myself out, but rejected the notion. I feared Addison and Regan knew it — probably the reason she placed me on Addison’s back.

 

“Ash, these have nearly the same design as man carriers, but they’re a lot cheaper.” Regan said. “There’s nothing to be embarrassed about.”

 

“I’m not embarrassed.” It was, after all, a step up from riding in a stroller — another common male transportation mechanism. “But, I can barely see over her shoulder. I’d rather not stare at her back the entire time.”

 

“I can fix that.” Regan adjusted the straps, raising my eye level an inch or two. “Is that better?”

 

“Yes, but I still don’t understand why we need these.”

 

“You’ve already forgotten about last weekend?” Regan walked toward the mall and Addison kept pace, a fluid motion, as if I were riding a lioness, or some other powerful feline creature.

 

“You mean the hiking trail you didn’t tell us was twenty miles long?” I asked. We’d been forced to jog to keep up with them for the first seven miles. Luna couldn’t continue, and frankly, neither could I. They had to carry us piggyback the rest of the way; otherwise, we never would have finished before sunset.

 

“You do want to go hiking again, don’t you?” Before I could answer, she continued. “We wanted to test these out. You’re both very light, but this is considerably more comfortable for everyone involved. Don’t worry, we’ll let you down once we get to where we’re going.”

 

“Oh...ok.” She’d anticipated my arguments, disarming them before they could detonate. I paused, then mumbled, “Thanks.”

 

“You’re welcome.” She wore a tight-lipped smile, clearly enjoying herself.

 

“Ash.” Riding at the same height as me, Luna stretched her arm in my direction, a playful glint in her good eye. Amused, I reached out, touched, and locked fingertips, as if saving her from being sucked into deep space through an open escape hatch. In any situation, she highlighted the positives with contagious joy.

 

As we approached the mall entrance, passers-by cast inquisitive glances in our direction, our antics distinguishing us from the typical toddler. I didn’t care; the nosy amazons could stare all they wanted.

 

Regan sped up, a subtle yet effective ploy to separate our hands. An orange and white arch loomed ahead, white letters spelling West Ridge Mall. It was the largest mall in Topeka, and Regan’s preferred place to shop.

 

The phrase ‘clothes shopping’ meant finding clothes for Regan. Addison rarely purchased anything new, and Luna’s outfits had to be special ordered through the internet.

 

So why make an ordeal out of it?

 

My wife described it as a bonding experience; she enjoyed watching Regan try on new clothing — a concept that I never understood and chalked up to yet another mysterious aspect of women.

 

Once inside the building, we zoomed past busy kiosks and bustling stores, making a beeline toward Regan’s favorite: Secret of the Goddess. I groaned as the lingerie outlet came into view. Women in various stages of undress, some completely naked, were visible through the windows.

 

Where was the ‘secret’ in that? What would it have been like to live in the eighteen hundreds, when women wore clothing for modesty rather than fashion?

 

“Can we get down now?” I asked as we entered the store. A middle-aged woman in a lace bra and red panties turned when she heard my voice. Upon recognizing me as a male, she winked and swooped mid-length hair over a shoulder.

 

“Regan!” A fully clothed woman with an overly-sweet voice blocked our path. She was the store manager, nearly a foot taller than Regan, and I couldn’t stand her.

 

“Harley, it’s good to see you.” They embraced, and Harley’s eyes shifted to meet mine.

 

“You should have told me you’d bring your friends today.” Harley released Regan and ruffled my hair. “I would have charged admission.”

 

Joking or not, the presence of either my wife or I tended to attract people like a magnet, and together, we might as well have been celebrities. Already, women from around the store whispered and pointed, some giggling and others flushed with excitement.

 

“Mind if I help Ash down?” Harley asked.

 

I didn’t want her help. “Um —”

 

“Oh, go right ahead,” Regan said.

 

Harley lifted me out of the seat, then turned me around so that we faced each other. Of course, instead of setting me on the ground, she hugged me to her chest and gushed. “You’re so cute. I wish Luna would let me take you home for a night.”

 

Luna laughed as Addison helped her out of the carrier. My wife had never shown an ounce of jealousy, not even when I’d been drafted as a Healer for a week. She knew how much I loved her.

 

“At the very least, you should drop by here more often. Both of you.” She freed my face from her cleavage, and I could finally smell something other than the overpowering scent of her cherry blossom perfume.

 

“You don’t exactly have clothing in my size here,” I said in a dry tone.

 

She shifted me onto her hip, showing no intention of releasing me. “Business always picks up for a few days after you two visit. It’s incredible.”

 

I rolled my eyes. My wife, positioned in a similar fashion on Addison’s hip, smiled knowingly at me. She didn’t mind the attention, but she understood I preferred a bit more independence.

 

“I’d really like to get down now,” I said.

 

“How about this”—Harley’s hand squeezed the underside of my right thigh—“you let me carry you around for a few minutes and I’ll give you and your wife some money for ice cream.”

 

“Five minutes.” I had money of my own; Regan graciously allowed me to keep some of what I earned. But Regan never bought ice cream for us, and Harley wouldn’t take ‘no’ for an answer.

 

She countered. “Ten.”

 

“Ok, ten minutes, starting now.”

 

“Oh, thank you Ash.” She squeezed again, a common event. People couldn’t believe how small we were, and took every opportunity to touch, squeeze, caress, and cuddle.

 

Whatever. In ten minutes, I’d be eating Rocky Road with my wife.

 

***

 

“Kelly, I think we should move you up to a C cup.” Harley spoke to a young brunette whose breasts overflowed a bit on the sides. We stood outside the dressing rooms, surrounded by a semicircle of customers waiting for a turn to be judged.

 

“What about the color?” Kelly’s gaze fixed on me as if my opinion were an edict from the Fashion Police High Council — an imaginary committee, one that handled these inane questions, freeing men from the job.

 

“I don’t know,” Harley said. “Ash, what do you think?”

 

“I think it’s been ten minutes.” I wanted to claw my eyes out. Women didn’t understand; I couldn’t care less what they wore. They could be naked, dressed in fancy clothes, or wearing a trench coat — I only cared about my wife.

 

Crestfallen, Kelly’s hopeful expression faltered.

 

“Ash.” Harley chided.

 

Guilty, I scratched the back of my head, and examined Kelly. All women who could afford periodic Healing were attractive, and Kelly was no different. She wouldn’t be in this store otherwise.

 

“You’ve got pretty eyes, so I’d go with the blue one.” I pointed to the bra in her right hand. “It matches, and brings out their color.”

 

The other women erupted into a chorus of exclamations: “Aww” and “Oh, how sweet” and “Do me next”. On the verge of tears, Kelly stuttered “thank you” as if she’d won the lottery. Women dressed to impress other women, to encourage compliments from their peers, but a man’s words had a greater impact when it came to beauty.

 

It wasn’t fair. Most women rarely encountered men, and many never found satisfaction with a homosexual lifestyle. By law, all men wed before the age of twenty-five. The majority tied the knot on their eighteenth birthday, and once married, they rarely appeared in public outside of their jobs.

 

But, I couldn’t change any of that.

 

Determined to free myself from the growing throng of spectators, I made a speech. “Listen you’re all very beautiful. Unfortunately, I don’t have time to spend with everyone. Harley promised my wife and I could get some ice cream, and I’d like to spend some time alone with her. We’re newlyweds and we’re in love.”

 

Several women placed their hands over their hearts, nodding in agreement. Usually, when I explained myself honestly and openly, people expressed empathy rather than jealousy.

 

Harley squeezed my butt before standing me on the floor. She knelt and handed me a ten-dollar bill. “Here you go, Ash. Don’t eat too much and get sick.”

 

I took the money, and turned around to face a wall of bare legs. All faces stared down at me.

 

“Alright, ladies. Stand aside.” Harley ruffled my hair as she stood.

 

An opening formed in the sea of legs, but as I walked through, many of the more daring women touched my hair and face. They didn’t hurt me, so I didn’t mind. Perhaps some had never touched a man.

 

If it brought them a little happiness, I’d put up with it.

 

***

 

“Please.” I tugged on Regan’s shorts as she perused a selection of camisoles. “Harley already gave me the money.”

 

“No, Ash.” She didn’t even look at me. “We’ll go together in a little while.”

 

I sighed and squeezed my wife’s hand. At least Addison had set Luna on the ground.

 

“We’ll come right back.” Luna chimed in, a delightful surprise. She rarely took my side when it came to arguments with Guardians, mostly due to apprehension. She feared conflict, and knew I’d never get mad at her for any significant length of time. Plus, she made up for it at night, not that she needed to, but I didn’t mind.

 

Regan took immediate notice and knelt before Luna. “You don’t want to watch me try on lingerie?”

 

“I do, but we won’t be gone long. You can show me what I missed once we get back home.”

 

Regan considered the proposition. “I can’t just let you two go without —”

 

“The mall has security cameras everywhere,” I said. “No one’s going to kidnap us. Besides, you can almost see the food court from the store window. It would mean a lot if we could spend a few minutes together...pretending to be normal.”

 

Regan’s eyes jumped to Addison, then back to me. “Ok. Fifteen minutes. If you’re not back by then, I will not be happy.”

 

“Thank you!” I grinned from ear to ear, and my wife hugged Regan around the neck.

 

Then, we were moving, my wife and I, hand in hand. For the first time in our lives, we would explore the mall together, as a couple.

 

We walked between the clothing racks, picking up speed and dodging around customers.

 

“Addison?” I asked.

 

Luna cast a surreptitious glance over her shoulder. “Yup. A few aisles back.”

 

“As soon as we clear the entrance. Got it?”

 

Her giggle served as her acknowledgement.

 

We passed the security scanners, stepped onto the tile floor of the main walkway, and took a sharp left. After a few more steps, as soon as we reached the window display, we ran.

 

The widest of smiles decorated our faces — we were free.

Chapter 3 by SpookyTaco

We sprinted to the adjacent store, Concierto Jewelers, and I pulled Luna inside. After darting behind a display case, we waited a few seconds, then peeked out around the edge.

 

“There she is.” I pointed to Addison who stood by the food court, head swiveling left and right.

 

“Do you think she’s worried?” Luna asked in a concerned tone.

 

“Nah. It’s not the first time we’ve —”

 

A tap on my shoulder caused me to lurch forward, dragging Luna with me. I turned around. A copper-haired child crouched, arms around her knees, an apologetic expression on her face.

 

“Hi, I’m Jamie. I didn’t mean to startle you.” Then, in a lilting voice, she asked, “Can I help you with something?”

 

We stepped forward, ensuring Addison couldn’t see us, and came face to face with the big-eyed girl. Even crouched, she exceeded Luna’s height by an inch or two. I usually avoided children at all costs, but this one, though she couldn’t have been older than eight or nine, seemed considerate.

 

“Hi, Jamie. My name’s Ash, and this is my wife Luna.”

 

Her slate blue eyes widened. “You’re married?”

 

“Yup. See?” Luna offered her left hand, showing her engagement ring and wedding band.

 

“That’s amazing.” She reached for my wife, then hesitated.

 

“Go ahead.” Luna encouraged.

 

Jamie clasped Luna’s hand between a thumb and two fingers, rubbing in circles as if more amazed by my wife than the rings. “You’re so little. How old are you?”

 

Luna giggled. “We’re both twenty-three.”

 

“Wow. You’re as small as a boy.” She spoke quickly. “We have four boys at my school: Tyler, Jaden, Michael, and Dakota. We never get to see them because they attend a special class.

 

“One day, I had to go to the bathroom during class. On the way back, I saw Tyler in the hallway. I tried to shake hands with him, but he ran away from me.” She released Luna, then turned to me. “Why would he do that?”

 

Did she expect an answer from me? I’d hated both elementary and middle school. Every year, I was the only boy in a class of over twenty children. I sat beside the teacher for protection, never attended recess, and suffered embarrassment or injury on a regular basis. Most girls weren’t mean, at least not intentionally, but they underestimated their own strength.

 

“He was probably just shy.” I explained in the nicest possible way. “You’re pretty big to us. Next time try talking more, and touching less.”

 

“Oh.” Her eyes dropped. “I’m one of the smaller girls in my grade.”

 

“You can shake my hand...if you want.” I extended my arm.

 

She looked up, smiled, then engulfed my hand and wrist in her warm grip. When she shook, my entire arm moved up and down. I normally latched onto someone’s finger, but thankfully, she didn’t squeeze hard.

 

“I work with my mom on Saturdays.” She let go of my arm. “Would you like to see what we sell?”

 

“Sure!” Luna spoke before I could respond.

 

“Hmm.” She bit her lip, then turned around, hands positioned palm up like steps against her navy t-shirt. “Hop onto my shoulders.”

 

“Luna, we have to go.”

 

“Please, Ash.” She climbed onto Jamie’s broad shoulders, then leaned forward as her ride rose to well over eight feet in height. “It’ll only take a minute or two.”

 

“You’re so light. I can barely feel you.” Jamie touched the small ankles and feet that hung down the sides of her chest. “Where would you like to begin?”

 

“Necklaces, please.”

 

“Right away, ma’am.” She took off with careful strides, and I followed behind.

 

As we walked toward the back of the store, a red-haired woman in a business suit intercepted us. “Jamie, put that woman down this instant. She’s not a toy.”

 

“But Mom, she wanted to see the necklaces. Her name’s Luna.”

 

“It’s ok, really,” Luna said. “I couldn’t see over the display case, so your daughter offered to give me a lift. My husband and I rarely get to look at jewelry.”

 

“Oh.” The woman appeared flustered, tugging at her collar. “I’m sorry, I didn’t realize you’d given her permission to carry you. Still, how about I just sit you on top of the display case? That way —”

 

“Mom!” Jamie stomped her foot, clearly unwilling to relinquish her passenger.

 

Luna laughed. “I’m fine here. Your daughter’s been very helpful.”

 

“Please, call me Vera.” She smiled and covered her mouth. Then, she reached for her phone. “This is just too cute. Do you mind if I take a picture?”

 

“Not at all,” Luna said.

 

After Vera snapped a photo, I stepped out from behind Jamie’s legs.

 

“Oh!” She nearly dropped her phone. “This must be your husband. I didn’t realize he was here with you.”

 

“Hi, Vera. My name’s Ash. Our Guardians expect us to return in a few minutes, so we don’t have much time.”

 

“Certainly. Jamie, unlock the display case, and show Luna what we have.”

 

After Jamie left, Vera knelt in front of me. Like her daughter, light freckles dotted her cheeks, nose, and forehead. However, thick-rimmed glasses framed her amber eyes, eyes that seemed transfixed on me. “Would you also like to see the merchandise?”

 

“Sure.”

 

Without delay, she lifted me into the air, and held me close to her chest. Her hand supported my butt, my head faced over her shoulder, and my arms wrapped around her neck.

 

Over the years, I’d learned to glean personality traits from the way someone carried me. I determined Vera communicated through physical contact, a trait she shared with her daughter. Then again, the same could be said for most women.

 

Her free hand rubbed my back as she walked. “You’re just the most precious thing I’ve ever seen.” Then she stopped, presumably after arriving at her destination. “Luna, you’re husband is the cutest thing in the world. Can I keep him?”

 

Luna giggled.

 

“Mom, you’re interrupting us. I’m showing her the pink diamond necklace.”

 

“Oh, that’s an excellent choice,” Vera said, continuing her back rub.

 

“Can I see?” I asked.

 

“Absolutely.” She sat me on the display case, though she didn’t stop touching. Her fingers combed through my hair, an idle gesture, as if she wasn’t aware of her own actions. Typical Ascended behavior. It would have been more unusual if she had ignored me.

 

“Pink is my favorite color.” Luna, still riding on Jamie’s shoulders, stared at the heart shaped necklace in her hands.

 

“You have good taste.” Vera’s thumb and forefinger massaged the back of my neck, tempting me to nod off. “That one’s on sale this month. It’s only forty-five thousand.”

 

“Oh.” Luna’s smile diminished, and she looked at me. “Ash, that sounds like a lot.”

 

“We’re just looking, honey.” She never asked for anything, but she wanted this necklace. With her birthday around the corner, I needed to speak with Regan. As our Guardian, she handled all of our finances, and made the final decisions on what we could or couldn’t buy.

 

“How about this one?” Jamie pulled out a silver necklace with a red pendant. “It’s less expensive.”

 

Vera took the heart necklace and returned it to the display case while Jamie handed the red one to Luna.

 

“I like this one,” Luna said.

 

“That’s a red ruby in fourteen karat white gold,” Vera said. “Only thirty thousand.”

 

Luna turned the pendant over in her hands, but her eyes lacked the same look of entrancement. After a few seconds, she handed it back to Jamie.

 

“Well, is there anything else you want to see?” Jamie asked.

 

Luna scanned the display case. She smiled and pointed. “That one.”

 

Jamie reached for a necklace with a light blue stone.

 

“No,” Luna said. “The pink one. The one that’s shaped like a heart.”

 

“This one?” Jamie asked, confused.

 

“Yes.” Luna nodded, beaming.

 

“But, we just looked at it.” Jamie laughed.

 

“We did?” Luna’s brow furrowed.

 

“Yes, sweetie,” Vera said. “Remember. It was forty-five thousand.”

 

“I don’t…” Luna’s eyes met mine, a pained expression on her face. She looked as if she was about to cry.

 

“What’s wrong, honey?” I stood up.

 

“Ash, I don’t feel good.”

 

“Oh, sweetie,” Divesting me of her attention, Vera reached into her pocket and pulled out a tissue. “Your nose is bleeding.” She swabbed at Luna’s upper lip.

 

I’d never seen my wife look so frightened. With a waver in my voice, I said, “We need to find Regan.”

 

As if on command, Addison appeared and lifted Luna from her perch.

 

“Addison!” I couldn’t contain my nerves. “We have to get to a hospital. Luna, she’s —”

 

“Get on.” Addison’s expression, impassive as always, demanded obedience. I sat on her left arm and wrapped my arms around her neck, my legs on either side of her waist. Luna did the same on the other arm, though she held one hand to her nose with the tissue she’d taken from Vera.

 

“This is your Guardian?” Vera asked as Addison walked away with us.

 

I turned my head back. “Yes, one of them. Sorry we couldn’t stay longer.”

 

“It’s ok.” Vera held her hand to her chest. “Please come back soon.”

 

“Bye, Ash. Bye, Luna.” Jamie followed us to the exit, waving. “I hope you feel better.”

 

I caressed Luna’s arm as we were whisked along. Her eyes focused on me, reflecting my own trepidation. Regan would be upset, but I couldn’t dwell on that.

 

I just wanted to know what was wrong with my wife.

 

***

 

I sat on a dusty chair between Regan and Addison. After reuniting in the mall, we’d headed straight for Pleks Hospital. Neither of them had spoken to me in the last thirty minutes.

 

Only one other person, an older lady with gray hair and a teal uniform, occupied the waiting room. She sat at the front desk, and appeared to be working on a crossword puzzle.

 

College basketball played on the flat screen television. Women, twelve to thirteen feet in height, ran up and down the court, taking shots at a hoop hovering twenty feet above the ground.

 

The sound was off, but I didn’t care. Thoughts of Luna, not basketball, filled my mind. She’d fallen asleep on the way here, and was currently receiving an MRI.

 

I scooted forward in my seat so that my shoes hung off the edge.

 

“Sit still.” Regan spoke in a harsh tone.

 

I craned my neck to look at her face, and she met my gaze with a threatening glare. “I wanted to go ask the lady when Luna would be —”

 

“The doctor will come out to get us.”

 

After a long pause, I looked down and mumbled, “I’m sorry.”

 

“Sorry’s not good enough, Ash. You lied to me.”

 

“Well, you lied to me.” I faced her again. “You said we could go alone, but Addison followed us.”

 

“Yes. And do you know why she did?”

 

I paused. “To protect us.”

 

“Exactly. Look at what happens when you disobey. Don’t you care about Luna?”

 

“Yes.” I turned away. Tears welled in my eyes and my voice cracked. “I — I love her more than anything. This was all my fault. She could die —”

 

Regan’s voice softened. “She’s not going to die.”

 

I wiped my cheeks, unable to respond.

 

Regan lifted me up and moved me onto her left thigh. Then, she hugged me, my head sandwiched between her hand and chest. “She’s not going to die, Ash. It’s probably nothing too serious.”

 

“You really think so?” I asked after she released my head.

 

“I really do.” She smiled a little and thumbed the tears from my face. “Just promise me you’ll never pull something like that again.”

 

“I promise.” I really meant it. My defiance had endangered my wife. What if Addison hadn’t appeared?

 

Regan lifted my left leg and squeezed my calf between her fingers. “We’re still getting a tracker implanted right here. That way, if someone abducts you, we’ll be able to find you.”

 

“Ok.” I’d agree to anything at this point. Anything to atone for my transgression. Anything to bring Luna back, healthy and happy.

 

Happiness. I knew something that would make her happy. 

 

“Regan, how much money do I have?”

 

“You?” She shrugged. “I don’t know. I gave you fifty dollars last weekend.”

 

“I mean the money from my job.”

 

Her eyes narrowed. “That’s none of your business. I handle that money. If you want something outside of the allowance I give you, we’ll have to talk about it.”

 

“I know. I just...what if I wanted to buy something expensive?”

 

“How expensive?”

 

“I don’t know. Maybe...forty-five thousand dollars?”

 

“No.”

 

I swallowed the painful lump in my throat, looked down, and spoke in a resigned tone. “Ok.”

 

“Hey.” With a finger, Regan lifted my chin, but I shifted my eyes so I wouldn’t have to look at her. “What could you possibly want that costs forty-five thousand dollars?”

 

I took a deep, ragged breath, then shook my head.

 

“Ash, that’s not an optional question.”

 

I didn’t have any energy to resist her. “Luna...she really liked the pink heart necklace. I just...”

 

I couldn’t finish the sentence and Regan didn’t say anything for several seconds. When she spoke, her tone was different. “You wanted to buy it for her?”

 

I nodded and cast a quick glance up. Her eyes glistened, but she didn’t appear upset.

 

Then, she pulled me into a tight hug. “Oh my. Ash, that’s the sweetest thing. I love you so much.”

 

I wrapped my arms around as much of her as I could and hugged, letting the stress and tension flow out. I didn’t expect this reaction from her, but it was what I needed. Eventually, she pulled me away.

 

“You’ve got to stop crying. You’re worse than a baby.” She laughed, wiped her own eyes, then wiped mine.  “Listen, Ash. I don’t know exactly how much you have saved, but if you can afford it, I may approve that purchase.”

 

“You will?” I couldn’t stop myself from grinning.

 

“They may have a payment plan. I’ll have to look into it. And you can’t tell Luna. That would ruin the surprise.”

 

“I was hoping to give it to her for her birthday.”

 

“That’s next Friday!”

 

“I know.”

 

Regan sighed. “I’ll look into it.”

 

“Thank you, Regan. I don’t tell you and Addison enough, but thank you both for everything.”

 

Upon hearing her name, Addison switched to the adjacent chair, leaned over, and kissed me on the forehead.

 

Regan smiled. “You’re welcome, Ash.”

Chapter 4 by SpookyTaco

“Here’s the MR scan showing the location of the tumor.” Dr. Kale pointed to a black-and-white image showing a cross section of Luna’s brain. The film hung from a backlit panel on the wall of her office. “It’s in the thalamic region, and therefore inoperable without considerable risk to the patient.”

 

“What about chemotherapy?” I asked the question for the second time. The tears had long since dried on my face. I couldn’t cry anymore, and from the looks of it, neither could Regan. We both hadn’t stopped since the doctor informed us of the diagnosis ten minutes ago.

 

“As I’ve explained, the tumor is slow growing.” Her tone revealed her impatience. “It won’t respond to chemotherapy. Radiation may be effective, but it has more risks surgery.”

 

“How much time do we have?” Regan asked. Thankfully, she carried me so that I could look Dr. Kale in the face. Addison stood to the side; though she hadn’t wept, her anguished expression betrayed her concern.

 

“Luna has, at most, a couple of months to live. Her short-term memory will continue to deteriorate, impeding her ability to perform the simplest of tasks. Eventually, she’ll be unable to maintain conversation for more than a few seconds.”

 

“And if we convince her?” Regan asked.

 

“Again, I’m confident Ascension would cure her.” Dr. Kale walked to the examination table and placed her hand on Luna’s forehead. My wife slept, peacefully, her chest rising and falling in under her hospital gown. “However, she refuses to Ascend. She became so agitated with the recommendation, we had to sedate her. No Healer will treat her if she’s not a willing participant.

 

“I tried to explain Ascension wouldn’t change her personality, but she wouldn’t believe me. Even more than that, she feared her husband would stop loving her.” Dr. Kale sent me an accusatory look.

 

“I’ll never stop loving her.” Initially, the suggestion of Ascension had made my heart stop. It was a one-way street. Once Ascended, there was no going back, and all offspring would inherit the virus.

 

“Ash, as her husband, you should be the one to act as her Healer.” Dr. Kale walked over to me, and touched the side of my face. “I’m not just saying that because of the financial benefits. Induced Ascension is extremely rare today, but it’s a wonderful thing, an incredible bonding opportunity. You shouldn’t be afraid. She loves you, and the core part of her being won’t change.”

 

I nodded. Ascension struck terror into my heart, but I’d have to face it if I wanted my wife to live.

 

I’d have to be strong for her.

 

***

 

Each gripping a handle of the metallic keg, Regan and Addison carried it into the basement, refusing to lug it upstairs. The cylindrical structure stood as tall as my chest, and weighed well over a thousand pounds. It held a hundred and twenty-four gallons of a nutrient solution, a meal replacement drink intended for bodybuilding. Its high nutritional value also made it ideal for induced Ascension.

 

Induced Ascension differed from inherited. It progressed over the course of several hours, not years. Furthermore, it required a Healer, a male within three to four years of the recipient. The male had to be at least twenty-two years old, the age when the dormant virus activated. Since Luna and I were the same age, I could serve as her Healer.

 

In spite of the noise made by the pouring of ice into the bucket, Luna didn’t awaken. She lay asleep in the guest bed. Like all furniture, the bed was designed for Ascended women, and she occupied merely a fraction of the mattress.

 

“Alright, you’re all set.” Regan knelt and clapped her hand over my shoulder.  “Remember, she’ll need to eat a lot. If you need anything, just give us a call.”

 

“Wait, you’re leaving?”

 

She smirked. “Do you really want me here when you...treat her? Because if you do, I’ll stay.”

 

“Well, no.” My face reddened. “But I was hoping you’d help me convince her.”

 

“Ash, I’ve spent years begging her to ascend. I’ve explained all of the benefits countless times. She doesn’t even listen to me anymore, not on that subject. You’re the only one with a chance of convincing her. You’re her husband, but more importantly she loves you more than anything. If it’s something you want her to do, she’ll listen.”

 

I swallowed and breathed deeply, calming my nerves. “Ok. I guess you’re right.”

 

“This house, your car, we’ve given you so much freedom, well beyond what most men get. That’s because we trust you to make the right decisions in many aspects of life. Your conversation with Luna will be the ultimate test of our trust. Ascension is a decision she has to make for herself, but only you can lead her to the right choice.”

 

I nodded. They had so much faith in me. Why did I run from them at the mall? I’d taken their trust and spit on it.

 

I hugged Regan’s neck. “I’m so glad you’re not mad at me anymore.”

 

“Ash, I could never stay mad at you for long. Please, just heal my best friend.”

 

Addison’s arms draped across my back, completing the three-person embrace.

 

My Guardians rose and headed for the stairs. Regan turned. “Remember, staying home tonight. A single phone call, and one of us will be here within seconds.”

 

The front door opened and shut, the deadbolt clunked, and the security alarm armed. They were gone.

 

And I was alone with my wife, facing my greatest fear.

 

***

 

Using the booster step, I climbed into bed, slipped under the covers, and snuggled against my wife’s back. As usual, we shared the same pillow. However, that would probably change, as would many aspects of our life together.

 

She wore her cotton nightgown, white with short sleeves, the same thing she wore every night. She would need to get new clothing, but that didn’t bother me. Not being able to hold her like this, my arms encircling her waist, my nose smelling her hair — that bothered me.

 

She stirred, then turned over, looking at me with sleepy eyes. After a few blinks, her eyes widened, and she bolted upright. “Ash!”

 

“I’m right here, honey.” I sat up and hugged her head against my chest. “I know about the brain tumor. Don’t worry, we’re going to get through this. Everything’s going to be ok.”

 

Her shoulders deflated, then shook as she sobbed into my shirt. She was so small in my arms. I couldn’t imagine her ever being the size of Addison or Regan. How would I be able to comfort her? How would I be able to do anything for her that she couldn’t easily do for herself?

 

“They wanted me to Ascend.” She blubbered into my chest. “I told them no. I’ll never do it. My head feels fine now.”

 

I just hugged her, rocking back and forth, letting her get it all out. She needed this catharsis before she’d be receptive to new ideas. Eventually, her crying abated, and she looked at me with eyes that begged for confirmation.

 

I kissed her forehead, and smoothed her disheveled hair. “It’s going to be ok. No one’s going to make you Ascend.”

 

“What about Regan?” she asked. “She’s always wanted me to Ascend.”

 

I chuckled. “She still wants that. See?” I pointed. “She bought an entire keg of nutrient solution for when you get hungry.”

 

Luna’s fingers dug into my back. “I’m never...I refuse! My head doesn’t hurt anymore. Really, Ash. It feels fine.”

 

“I know. I believe you.” I rubbed her back.

 

Minutes passed. Though it felt like midnight, it couldn’t have been much later than seven o’clock. Eventually, her trembling subsided.

 

“Ash, what do you want?” Her voice was soft, almost pleading.

 

“I’ll support you in your decision, whatever it may be. I’ll always support you.”

 

“What do you think I should do?”

 

“If you’re not sure, let’s talk about it. What are the reasons you don’t want to Ascend?”

 

Her brow furrowed and her mouth twisted in thought. Then, she said, “I like to be carried.”

 

I laughed. “Ok, anything else?”

 

“I like how when I get something sweet, it lasts longer because it’s so big.”

 

“Regan doesn’t buy us sweets.”

 

“Sometimes my friends at work will give me candy.” She gave me a sly smile, making me laugh even harder.

 

After I’d regained my composure, I asked, “What else?”

 

“I like how everyone thinks I’m special. They pay attention to me because I’m small.”

 

I hated that aspect of being small, but she saw things differently than me — one of the things I loved about her. “Keep going.”

 

She paused, and her smile disappeared. “I don’t want to be like Regan.”

 

“How so?”

 

“She makes you do things. She embarrases you. You don’t like her very much.”

 

I shouldn’t have been surprised, but I was. Luna had made logical assumptions based on my reactions to Regan’s treatment. She’d internalized those assumptions and used them to strengthen her case against Ascension — once again, completely my fault.

 

“Honey, Regan and I talked a lot today while you were asleep. In spite of all my complaining, I don’t hate her. I’m probably the only man in the world married to an unascended wife. I have that privilege because she and Regan agreed to become our Guardians. They sacrifice their time to protect us. They permit us to live in this house as a couple. We have a car. We even get a small allowance. All of my independence in this world is a gift from them.”

 

“Really?” 

 

“Absolutely. If anything, I should show her my appreciation more often.”

 

She sniffled. “So even if I became like her, you wouldn’t hate me?”

 

I smiled and caressed her neck from ear to collarbone. “Honey, I’d never hate you, no matter what you did. I’ll always love you. Even if you became the strictest wife in the world, and made me eat slimy okra, I’d love you.”

 

She gasped, knowing how much I hated that vegetable. “I would never do that.”

 

I laughed. “See? You won’t be the same as her.” Her resolve seemed to be cracking.

 

“I don’t understand, Ash. You never wanted me to ascend in the past. Aren’t you afraid of what it might do to our relationship?”

 

I inhaled deeply. I’d hoped she wouldn’t ask that question. Still, she did, and I needed to answer it. “Honestly, yes, I’m afraid, but not about the things you mentioned. I’m afraid you’ll get smarter than me. I’m afraid I’ll bore you mentally and be unable to please you physically. I’m afraid of a lot of things, but when I look in your eyes, I feel something that washes all that fear away. I see how much you love me, and I know that will never disappear.”

 

Tears puddled in her eyes, and her chin quivered. She hugged me tight, her face buried into my chest. When she released me, she asked, “You promise you’ll never leave me?”

 

“I promise.”

 

She took deep breaths, in and out, slowing in their frequency until she spoke again, calmer. “The doctor said my personality wouldn’t change.”

 

She was coming around to the idea of Ascending. “It won’t. You’ll always be Luna. You won’t have memory issues, and you may find certain mental tasks easier to perform, but you won’t be a different person.”

 

“I’ll be bigger.”

 

“Yes. Maybe not quite as big as Regan, but you’ll be big compared to me.”

 

“No one will be able to carry me anymore.”

 

“That’s true. But you’ll be able to do new things. Fun things.”

 

“Like what?” She asked, suspicion in her tone. Surely, she’d consider the benefits of Ascension before.

 

“Well, you’d be able to carry me.”

 

She giggled. “You’d let me carry you?”

 

“I’d insist on it, especially if we went hiking again.”

 

Her smile broadened. “What else?”

 

“All kinds of things. You could open the pickle jar when it’s stuck. You wouldn’t have to use the booster steps. You could go clothes shopping with Regan, and actually buy things for yourself.”

 

“Would you come with me?”

 

“Sure. In fact, once you’re Ascended, we could visit so many new places together. We wouldn’t have to worry about security rankings. We could go to Baskin-Robbins and eat all the ice cream we want.”

 

She beamed, her eyes distant. Then, she focused on me again, her expression serious. “Would you want me to Ascend even if I didn’t have brain cancer?”

 

Another tough question. “Before today, the answer would have been ‘no’. I’m still afraid, but I’ve had time to think. Even without the tumor, I would want you to Ascend.”

 

She nodded. “Will you still guide me after I Ascend?”

 

“Legally, you’ll be my new Guardian. You’ll have the final say in all major decisions. However, I’ll still be your husband, and I’ll always be here for advice.”

 

She stared deep into my eyes, her good eye seeming to search my soul. Then, we kissed, a deep, mouth-probing kiss. Would I ever be able to kiss her this way again? Would my comparatively small mouth be enough?

 

As if reading my mind, she breathed her answer. “You’ll always be more than enough for me. Whatever happens, you’ll always be so much more than enough. No one makes me feel the way you do, Ash. I’m not me without you.”

 

I ran my fingers through the hair at the base of her skull, a sand-colored expanse of silky waves. There would be more of that, too. More of the things I liked about her. I slid my other hand along the curves of her body, committing them to memory one last time.

 

“Are we going to do it, Ash?” Her hands dipped under my shirt and explored my torso.

 

“I want to, but it’s your decision. Do you want to Ascend?”

 

She nodded, her mouth partway open, nearly panting.

 

“Say it out loud.”

 

“Yes, Ash. I want to Ascend. I want to Ascend with you at my side.”

 

 

Chapter 5 by SpookyTaco

“Oh, and one more thing.” Ash brushed a lock of my hair behind my ear. “The doctor said to enjoy yourself. The process isn’t painful, but you’ll get hungry.”

 

“Ok.” I was afraid, but his words put me at ease. His touch had a way of making everything alright.

 

He lifted my left hand, then touched his lips against my knuckles like a knight kissing a princess. The gesture caused me to inhale sharply, and my fear evaporated. He would never leave me, so I could let the good feelings take hold, uninhibited by apprehension.

 

One at a time, he removed my rings, engagement ring followed by wedding band. Stretching over me, he placed them on the nightstand before returning to his previous position.

 

“Why?” I could hardly think, but the question seemed relevant.

 

“You’ll grow out of them.” He placed his hand on my belly. I loved the feel of his warmth through my nightgown.

 

“Oh.” It was all I could think to say. I hoped to get little smarter, not much, just a little. That way, I wouldn’t ask such stupid questions. Luckily, he never seemed to mind.

 

“Don’t worry. I’ll buy you new rings.”

 

“I’m not worried.” I didn’t even want new rings. I just wanted him, forever and ever.

 

“Good.” He crawled to the middle of the bed. “Take off your nightgown.”

 

I blushed. “Ok.”

 

While he stepped off the mattress and walked toward the keg, I removed my clothing and tossed it on the floor. For some reason, nudity had always embarrassed me, and I would never allow anyone other than Ash to see me naked. Ascended women had no such qualms. Would I become less modest after Ascension?

 

He poured the thick, brownish liquid into a Solo cup. It looked like chocolate milk coming out of the tap, except with considerably more milk than chocolate. After filling the cup, he took a sip.

 

“Not too bad. Tastes a bit like cookie dough, without much sugar.” He brought me the cup, handing it to me. “Drink as much as you can.”

 

I grabbed it with both hands and drank the cool substance. After removing the cup from my lips, I licked the mustache it had given me.

 

“Do you like it?” He removed his shirt, and I stared at his V-shaped chest. He had definition without being overly muscular, and I liked his body just the way it was.

 

“Luna?”

 

“Oh, it tastes good. Like bread that’s a little sweet. And you can drink it.” I winced. That sounded stupid; of course you could drink it.

 

“I’m glad.” He unbuttoned his jeans. “Keep drinking.”

 

I nodded and drank as much as I could, gulping down the heavy liquid until I could drink no more. Then, I set the nearly empty cup on the nightstand beside my rings.

 

He removed his underwear and stood completely naked. I couldn’t take my eyes off his body. The liquid in my stomach heated up, and emanated a feeling of satisfaction.

 

He climbed back into bed and returned to my side. His hand went to my stomach again, and a pleasant shiver traveled the length of my spine. Thankfully, I wasn’t under the covers, because I’d be sweating.

 

As usual, he took the lead and laid me upon my back. His hands fondled my breasts, and his soft lips tasted like french toast, but better, because they were his lips. Even during his time as a Healer, he’d reserved mouth to mouth kissing for me, and me alone. Because he loved me, and he would never betray me.

 

Somehow, he knew my body better than me, because my skin tingled all over. The warmth had increased, and I longed to have him inside me, but he knew what I wanted, and his timing was always best.

 

With his arms planted to either side, he entered me, slowly.

 

I gasped and he stopped.

 

It was just the head of his penis, but it felt different. He wasn’t wearing condom. To prevent Ascension, he’d always worn a condom in the past.

 

“Are you alright?” he asked.

 

Something in my expression must have given him the consent he needed. He’d always said my eyes could talk, and I was grateful for that, because I couldn’t speak.

 

He slid further inside me, a slippery expansion of my core, until he filled me. Then, he stopped again, but I didn’t know why. He’d never done it this way before. A part of me wanted to be filled over and over again, as usual, but he always had a reason for his actions, and I trusted him.

 

“I just need a second,” he whispered. “It’s different without a condom, and…”

 

I squeezed his forearms. “And what?”

 

He paused, then said, “We’ll never fit the same way again.”

 

The realization startled me. Technically, my vagina would be larger, and his penis would be smaller. And honestly, I loved the sensation of being filled. It was like having a full stomach, but lower in my abdomen, a gratification like none other.

 

However, more importantly, I feared being unable to please him. He would never need to use a condom again, but would that be enough for him?

 

I needed to speak with Regan at the earliest opportunity. Like other Ascended, she spent much of her money on Healing, and had always described the experience as pleasurable. Perhaps she’d share her secrets with me.

 

Fortunately, my apprehension evaporated. Even without movement, his unprotected presence inside me coupled with my full stomach radiated waves of blissful warmth. It was as if I was home, truly home, and I never wanted to leave.

 

It was too much. The warmth, the security, the smell of his body, the taste of his skin. My toes curled and my fingernails dug into his biceps. My vagina contracted in spasms as the orgasm worked it’s way through my body. Having him remain inside me lengthened the experience. It was better than candy, better than hugging, better than anything really. And I didn’t want it to end.

 

My skin flushed and I lost myself in his eyes. They were the color of sable, a rich, dark brown; and they brightened with anticipation.

 

“If I move…”

 

“It’s ok, Ash. I’m ready.”

 

His eyes widened and his mouth slackened and he pushed further to where he bumped something deep inside me. A bomb of pleasure exploded, and another climax swept over me as he came.

 

Panting, I pulled his lips to mine and kissed, sucking air through my nose.

 

Then, we held each other. I refused to let him leave me even though, little by little, he retracted from my opening. He couldn’t have consecutive orgasms like me, but I didn’t mind. I loved cuddling in the afterglow.

 

Laying on our sides, we studied each other’s faces. This was my lover. He would always be my lover no matter how much I changed. I would always seek his happiness above my own because doing so made me feel so good.

 

“Well, it’s done.” He smiled. His right hand moved from my thigh to the side of my stomach, back and forth.

 

“We’ve never”—pant—“had sex like that before.”

 

“I’m sorry I couldn’t last as long. Without a condom, it was so much...better.”

 

I shook my head against the pillow, relieved at his increase in sensation. “Don’t be sorry.” A lazy smile formed on my face. “It was incredible.”

 

“Do you feel any different?”

 

“Should I?” I did feel a bit warmer than usual.

 

“I don’t know. The doctor didn’t provide any details on —”

 

“Ash.” My stomach growled and the rate of my breathing increased. “I...”

 

“Whats wrong? Should I call Regan?” He started to move, but I tightened my hold around his neck and back.

 

“Stay.” It was all I could get out as the heat intensified. My skin itched in a delightful way, as if thousands of invisible fingers scratched nonstop.

 

“Does it hurt?”

 

“No.” Instinctively, I thrust my pelvis against his and inhaled. 

 

It was as if my internal organs had disappeared to make room for an ocean of euphoria. As he hardened inside me, my toes slid against his shin, further and further, until they touched the top of his feet. My arms extended around his body, and my chest pushed against his.

 

“I’m growing! I can feel it!” My head rose until my eyes were level with his. “It feels so good, Ash.”

 

“Amazing.” He breath tickled my mouth.

 

When my toes touched his, the itching stopped, but the euphoria continued. Never in my life had I been so inexplicably happy. 

 

“I think I might be ready for another round,” he said.

 

I detected his presence inside me and smiled. It was different. He didn’t fill me quite as much, but I didn’t mind. Beyond a doubt, I knew everything would be ok. No matter how big I became, he would always be more than enough for me.

 

And I would find a way to be more than enough for him.

 

***

 

I finished another cup of the brownish stuff, burped, then covered my mouth.

 

Ash laughed. “Still hungry?”

 

I shook my head, and placed the cup on the nightstand.

 

Why did I feel so good? Sex had always made me feel good afterwards, but not like this. Nothing like this. I wasn’t sleepy and, even though the virus had been transmitted, I wanted more. Was this why Healers were in such high demand?

 

I slid my bare legs over the side of the bed.

 

“Um, I think maybe you should stay in bed.”

 

“Why?” I hesitated at the edge.

 

“What if you get dizzy?”

 

I jumped down, landing easily. Then, I ran to him and embraced his naked body. 

 

“You’ll catch me.” I whispered into his ear, then pulled away, surprised I didn’t have to stand on my tip toes. “I’m as tall as you!”

 

“You are.”

 

We touched noses and his flaccid penis rubbed against me. Hopefully, he wouldn’t need much time to recover. The requirements of Ascension had been met, but my thirst for sex hadn’t been quenched. In spite of two breathtaking orgasms, my craving for him hadn’t diminished in the least.

 

“I’ll get the tape measure.” He walked into the garage and came back with a silvery device. “Turn around.”

 

I complied and listened to the metallic tape extend and retract.

 

“Yep, five-foot nine on the dot. Same height as me.”

 

“Wow, six inches!” Energy rippled through me like live current. I jumped forward and twirled around the room, spinning around and around. I didn’t lose my balance, nor did I trip.

 

He chuckled. “What are you doing?”

 

“I feel so good. I have so much energy. I don’t know how to explain it.”

 

I finally spun to a stop at the weight area. It occupied only a small corner of the enormous room, which made sense, considering it was designed for men.

 

Sometimes, when cleaning, I picked up after Ash. However, I’d never been able to budge the eighty pounder.

 

I grabbed it in both hands and hauled it off the rack.

 

“Careful!” Ash ran over and reached for the dumbbell.

 

“Look! I can hold it in the air.” My back hunched and my arms strained, but I held it above the floor. “This is so exciting.” I set it on the carpet. He didn’t have anything heavier, but I might have been able to lift a bit more.

 

“Oh, I know!” I bolted toward the garage as he replaced the dumbbell on the rack.

 

I gripped the car door, easily within reach now, and pulled with all my might. The sound of it opening multiplied my joy. I ran back into the room and embraced my husband in a backwards hug.

 

“I opened it! I opened it!”

 

“You opened what?”

 

“The car door.” I released him, grabbed his hand, and pulled him along with me. “Come see.”

 

“Ok.” He laughed.

 

“See? Look.” I shut the door and opened it again in a single try.

 

“Honey, I’m so proud of you.” He swiped my hair behind my ear. “Soon, you’ll be able to do so much more. This was definitely the right decision and I wish I’d encouraged you to Ascend earlier.”

 

His comforting words. His look of adoration. My heart pounded, forcing a a mixture of love and lust through my veins, so strong that I couldn’t distinguish between the two. I wanted him, needed him, so badly I ached down below.

 

He was all I could think about. He was my world.

 

“Can we do it again?”

 

He smiled in response and we ran back to the bed, hand in hand. If I could, I would’ve carried him back.

 

Soon, I might be able to do just that.

 

 

End Notes:

I debated changing this to X, but wasn't sure if I'd exceeded what might be found in an R-rated movie.

Chapter 6 by SpookyTaco

I slid out of my wife and lay back on the bed, utterly exhausted. Our last session had lasted fifteen minutes, easily a record for both of us. I’d lost count of how many times Luna had climaxed.

 

Conversely, her energy levels only seemed to rise with the passage of time. Even now, she nuzzled her face against my chest and ground her hips against my leg. She’d never been this insatiable and, though it pleased me to make her happy, my stamina clearly didn’t match hers.

 

“Sorry honey, I’m tired. I wish I could keep going.”

 

“It’s ok.” She stopped moving and rested the side of her head on my arm. “You were wonderful. I’ve never felt so good.”

 

With my free hand, I caressed her smooth skin and stared at the ceiling. “You know, I figured I’d be more afraid, but I’m not. I’m thinking about all of the places we can go.”

 

“Mmmm.” She purred into my ear.

 

“We’ve never been to the movies together, just the two of us. Or the zoo. Or even a restaurant. I wonder —”

 

“Oh!” Her body stiffened against mine. “I think, it’s happening again.”

 

She wrapped her arms around me and scissored her legs over mine, pulling me against her. Then, her entire body slid against mine. Her breasts inflated and rose higher against my chest, and her knees bumped below mine.

 

“Oh, Ash. I — I —” Her legs clamped down hard as her back arched and her arms thickened around me. Mouth open and eyes fluttering, her face mirrored sheer rapture as she continued to slide up the pillow.

 

Finally, she relaxed and exhaled onto my forehead. “I love you so much.” She hugged me with strengthened arms and rubbed her cheek against my hair.

 

I attempted to sit but couldn’t extricate myself from her embrace. Upon noticing this, a look of mild surprise crossed her face and she released me.

 

“Are you hungry?”

 

“Yes!” She giggled as if realizing it for the first time. Then, she sat up, slid off the bed, and skipped to the keg. She’d grown a lot, considering the top of the keg barely reached her belly button.

 

Instead of filling a cup, she sucked on the faucet like a baby bottle. I hopped off the bed and walked up to her, amazed that I only came up to her chin. Her eyes widened as she apparently noticed the same thing.

 

Her eyes — they looked different. They seemed clearer somehow, especially her left eye, as if her cataracts had shrunk. Could Ascension repair that part of her too?

 

“Honey, I think your eye is healing.”

 

After a few more gulps, she ran into the downstairs bathroom. As I followed, a mix between a scream and a squeal caused me to increase my pace.

 

“Luna, what’s wrong?”

 

She stood on the third step of the booster stairs, no longer needing to climb to the top to see the mirror above the sink. Her hands explored her face like a foreign landscape. “I can see! It’s a little blurry, but I can see!”

 

“I noticed —”

 

“And my skin.” She turned her head from side to side. “It’s so clear! I’m not even wearing makeup. Can’t you tell?”

 

“You’re face has always looked beautiful to me.” I spoke the truth. Occasionally, she might get a pimple or two, but who didn’t? 

 

She ran her fingers down her jaw, her neck, and over her breasts, sticking out her chest as she did so. “I feel...incredible.” She flexed. Her stomach muscles became faintly visible, and her arms exhibited a hint of muscle where there’d been none before.

 

Like a kid with ADHD, she hopped down onto the concrete floor and flew to the garage. I smiled at the sound of the car door opening and closing.

 

“Ash, it’s so much easier now.” She ran past the bathroom, back into the bedroom. “I have to try your weights.”

 

“Wait, honey.” I followed her to my bench. “Don’t you think you should rest a bit?”

 

“I don’t feel tired.” She jerked the eighty pound dumbbell from the rack and held it at her side, this time with one arm. “Look, Ash!”

 

“That’s great, honey. But —”

 

“I wanna try the thing you always do on the bench.” She returned the weight to the rack and reclined on the bench, awkwardly, as her size made it look like a toy. “Bring me the weights you use.”

 

“Forget it. I’m not sure where you got this sudden urge to lift weights, but if you don’t start off light, you’ll hurt yourself.”

 

“Please, Ash. I’ve never had muscles before and I just want to try. I’ll tell you if they’re too heavy.”

 

I sighed. “Fine.”

 

I couldn’t believe the situation. My wife, well over six and a half feet tall, lay naked on my workout bench asking for a spot. She must be feeling incredibly energetic, or she wanted to test her new body, or both.

 

“Sit up.” One at a time, I brought her the seventy pounders. She rested them on her thighs as she’d seen me do in the past.

 

Without further instruction, she lay back and moved them into position. Then, she pressed them seven times before dropping them onto the pillows. Though her form wasn’t ideal, I couldn’t believe she lifted the same weight as me.

 

“Wow, that was heavy but it felt good to exercise.” She rose and stretched, arms extended far above her head. “I can’t wait to go running and hiking.” She paused, tilting her head. “Ash, can we have sex again?”

 

I chuckled. “Luna, I’m exhausted. I have no idea where you’re getting all this energy, but I need a nap.”

 

She pouted, her bottom lip protruding in a cute expression. “Can we at least go watch TV?”

 

“I don’t see why not. Just let me know if you get hungry.”

 

She grabbed my hand and hauled me to the staircase like an excited, overgrown child guiding a parent. After clambering up the stairs, we pulled ourselves onto the couch and sat on the center cushion, the one where a yellow towel covered most of the area. She flipped the television on using the remote control and turned it to Lifetime 27, one of ninety-two channels geared toward women. At least that interest of hers hadn’t changed.

 

While she watched some sappy drama about a woman investigating her husband’s affair (specifically, a willful kiss he granted to a seductive neighbor), I lost myself in examining the details of her body. She was significantly taller; her feet hanging off the edge of the couch testified to that. However, she’d also grown proportionally in all three dimensions. Her hands, once small and dainty, were slightly larger than mine. Her wrist and arms had thickened. Her petite, fragile appearance had vanished, especially when sitting side by side.

 

“What are you looking at?” She asked, looking down on me from above.

 

“Nothing.” My face heated as I pretended to watch TV.

 

“You were looking at me. Why?”

 

She’d caught me, and I didn’t want to continue a lie. “I — I was thinking about how much you've grown.”

 

“I’m going to get a lot bigger, Ash.”

 

“I know.”

 

“You still love me, don’t you?”

 

I looked up and kissed her on the chin before she pulled my head to hers. Her tongue filled my mouth and we united for several seconds before separating, saliva dangling from mouth to mouth like an ephemeral suspension bridge.

 

I opened her hand and placed my palm flat against hers. The tips of her fingers extended beyond mine, not due to her short, unpainted fingernails.

 

“I think it’s cool, in a way,” I said. “I love every part of you, and there’s going to be more for me to love.”

 

Her hand traveled to my thigh. She squeezed it, a simultaneous display of strength and size as her fingers dug into my flesh. The thought of her rapidly increasing power combined with her touch caused me to shiver.

 

“Maybe you’re not so tired after all.” Her hand approached my groin as my arousal increased. Then, she grabbed my shoulders and lowered me onto my back, lengthwise across the couch.

 

“I want to be on top this time.” With her knees to either side of my hips, she lowered herself onto me, the familiar gasp bursting from her mouth as I filled as much of her as I could. Then, she fell forward, her hair waterfalling around my face and her breasts sandwiching me against the couch.

 

She did all the work this time. I didn’t have to move a tired muscle as she milked me for all I was worth. Her tightness astonished me; perhaps her increase in musculature had allowed her vagina to compensate for some of her increased size.

 

Her weight also surprised me. In spite of the cushions, she bore down on me like a refrigerator filled with food. After her next growth spurt, I likely wouldn’t be able to lay beneath her without being crushed.

 

By the time we finished, sweat and other bodily fluids dampened the towel. It wasn’t the first time we’d had sex on the couch. After cleaning the cushions several times in the past, Regan had finally decided to leave a towel covering our preferred area: the center. 

 

I rolled over and she spooned me, her arms locking around me like a Venus flytrap. Too tired to escape and likely too weak, I let my lids fall shut, her uncharacteristic warmth lulling me to sleep.

 

***

 

I awoke to the sound of intense moaning, unmistakably Luna’s voice, yet somehow different. It had a primal undertone, a tangible harmony of power and femininity.

 

I opened my eyes and sat up. Somehow, I’d been moved back downstairs and placed in bed. On all fours, Luna was beside the keg, belly distended and face frozen in a rictus of either pain or pleasure — hopefully the latter.

 

As I scooted off the bed and went to her, she threw her head back and groaned. Her body expanded, visibly, her fingers and toes sliding against the carpet fibers from pure growth, rather than any conscious movement on her part.

 

She continued to enlarge, her muscles tightening and relaxing like a python digesting a meal almost too large for its skin. Going from fully pregnant to partially bloated, her stomach flattened as her surface area increased. Pearls of wetness dripped down her thighs, an indisputable answer to my earlier question — she didn’t appear to be in pain.

 

After the growth abated, she fell onto her side and I jumped back, narrowly avoiding the avalanche of flesh. Then she curled up into a ball.

 

“Make it stop, Ash. Make it stop.”

 

“Does it hurt?” I knelt down and pulled her long hair from the side of her face.

 

“I’m getting...too big.”

 

“Shhh. You’re hyperventilating. Take slow, deep breaths. You’re not too big. This is normal.” It was normal, right? She was huge, but still not as large as Addison or Regan.

 

She rose up and sat back, her legs folded underneath. “I’m so hungry, Ash. I can’t stop eating. You slept for an hour and I drank this stuff almost the entire time. I got fat, but I couldn’t stop.”

 

“Honey, you’re not fat. Just look at yourself. That’s how Ascension works. Your tissues absorb the nutrients to enable growth.”

 

“But it’s more than that. I feel so…” She blushed and her hands covered her crotch.

 

“You get aroused more easily?”

 

She nodded.

 

I placed a hand on her massive thigh, in spite of it being sticky with her secretions. “That’s normal too. Regan will teach you how to control your urges.”

 

She exhaled, as if releasing a deep tension. “Can I hold you?”

 

“Sure.”

 

She lifted me under the armpits and sat me on her legs, then hugged me, her nose nuzzling my hair, her breasts cushioning my shoulders and neck.

 

“Careful.” I struggled to breathe. “You’re a lot stronger.”

 

“Oh!” She loosened her arms and permitted my chest to expand normally. “I’m sorry. I didn’t realize…”

 

“It’s fine.” I patted her thigh. “From now on, just pretend that everything is fragile until you get used to your strength, especially after your final growth spurt.”

 

“Ok.”

 

“Now, keep eating. You don’t want to let your body stay hungry.”

 

She removed an arm from me and reached for the tap. I needed two hands to use the thing, but she handled it easily with one. While she fed herself, I pulled her other hand away and studied it like a palm reader.

 

I could easily grip a couple of her fingers, but that would change. With an Ascended adult, it would be far easier for me to encircle a single digit due to its girth. Soon, she’d join the ranks of the fully Ascended, with significantly more strength in her forefinger than my entire hand.

 

Unable to speak while drinking, she took my hand between thumb and two fingers, feeling in circles as if trying to grasp the magnitude of our changing relationship. Or, perhaps she was trying to learn how to handle me with care, so as not to injure me. Either way, I enjoyed her touch as always, and had no desire to pull away.

 

We sat like this for quite a while, until her belly pushed me further down her legs. When she finally dropped the tap, my feet touched the floor at the end of her knees. Her arms went limp and I stood, then rested my hand on her shoulder.

 

“Is it empty?” I asked.

 

“Yes, but I’m full. And I think…”

 

“It’s happening again, isn’t it?”

 

“It’s coming, Ash. I can feel it. It’s really big this time. It’s — oh...” Mouth agape and eyes rolling back, she moaned so loudly I had to cover my ears. Heat radiated from her body like a furnace.

 

And she commenced her final journey toward Ascension, a frighteningly beautiful thing to watch.

 

 

Chapter 7 by SpookyTaco

“Wait, Ash!” I followed him to the car, taking a single step for each of his two. “Where are you going?”

 

“I’m leaving.” With a heave, he opened the driver’s side door of the little Smart Fortwo. It seemed so much smaller since my Ascension, as did everything else.

 

“I don’t understand.” I held the door open as he climbed into the car seat. Designed for males, steering wheel controls permitted both acceleration and braking.

 

He strapped himself in, then turned to me. “Shut the door, Luna.”

 

“Please, Ash. You’re angry. Tell me what’s wrong.”

 

He pressed two buttons on the steering wheel; the first opened the garage door, the second started the car’s engine. “Shut the door.”

 

“Please…” I collapsed onto my knees. The coolness of the concrete through my jeans complemented the chill of the wet streaks on my face. “Just tell me why.”

 

“You know why.”

 

“I don’t, Ash. I don’t —”

 

“You’ve changed, Luna. You’re not the same person I married. All you want is sex now. That’s all you care about. You don’t give a fuck about me anymore, and I’m starting to wonder if you ever did.”

 

He could have gouged my eyes, and it would have been less painful. His words tore through my lungs like serrated daggers, making it impossible to breathe. Yet, somehow I managed to speak. “But you promised...you’d never leave me.”

 

“Goodbye, Luna.”

 

***

 

I awoke, drenched in sweat, sucking air as if I’d surfaced from a dive that went too deep. In spite of the darkness, I recognized the room, my vastly improved vision making the most of the moonlight that filtered through the basement window.

 

Ash slept on the bed, his soft breathing audible to my enhanced hearing. 

 

It was a dream. Just a dream.

 

Adrenaline waned and relief flooded my system as I recalled what had happened. During my last growth spurt, the pleasure had been too much. Black spots appeared, the room spun, and then…

 

I must’ve fainted.

 

Even now, my body — so healthy, so absolutely perfect in every way — quivered with an excitement bordering upon arousal. Like an internal morphine drip, natural chemicals in my brain fought to erase the negative feelings created by the nightmare. It was a dream after all, and dreams weren’t real. Right?

 

A damp sheet covered me and a pillow, also moist with my sweat, lay on the floor. It must’ve frightened him when I fainted. How had he managed to lift my head over the pillow? Even though he couldn’t carry me to bed, he’d taken care of me to the best of his ability. I wanted him even more and, if not for the dream, I’d awaken him to let him know.

 

Instead, I crawled over and alighted my fingertips upon his hair. He was so small, yet his features were exquisitely visible, down to the pores in his face. His scent drifted up, heightening my longing and demanding that I cuddle with him as soon as possible.

 

Exactly what the dream warned against.

 

Confused and fearful, I rose to my feet. The ‘normal sized’ room appeared tiny. I’d lived my entire life as an unascended woman and had become accustomed to the enormous size of manmade things. Even though I’d grown, to me, the world had shrunk.

 

I stepped to the weight area and stooped to pick up a dumbbell. My hand was too wide for the grip, so I used two fingers. I would’ve guessed it weighed ten pounds — if not for the eight zero etched into the iron.

 

Ash would be proud, wouldn’t he? A weight that I’d never been able to move was now as light as a young cat.

 

After replacing it, I grabbed the corners of the rack and lifted. Though heavy and awkward, it rose a few inches into the air, at least six hundred pounds altogether. He would be so impressed!

 

Gently, I returned it to the floor, careful to avoid making a sound. A part of me wanted to awaken him, to show him my new body, to revel in his praise. But I recognized my ulterior motive — a desperate desire for more sex.

 

Cool down!

 

After grabbing the phone, I made my way toward the upstairs bathroom, amazed how easily and quickly I climbed the stairs. The vanity mirror held further surprises — no flaw in my face, no unwanted curve in my figure. Though entirely feminine, muscles appeared on demand when flexed, as if I’d been doing aerobics every day for my entire life. Lithe and toned, I’d become the perfect version of myself, the person I’d always wanted to be.

 

The shower door opened without resistance, and I didn’t need to use the booster step to reach the knobs. After twisting the one labeled C, I stepped in and closed the door.

 

Unfortunately, the cold water wasn’t the least bit uncomfortable. It failed to extinguish the stimulating warmth radiating from my core. Not a single goose bump rose up on my arms.

 

Instead of rubbing my hands on the soap, I lifted the entire bar and lathered my body. I gasped as unfamiliar muscles contracted under my touch. How could I be so sensitive to positive stimuli, yet so resistant to negative?

 

Determined to rid myself of this problem, I removed the shower head and did something else I’d never done in the shower before: I masturbated. 

 

The orgasm came quickly, partly due to the pulse setting, partly due to my own heightened arousal. However, like using a garden hose to put out a house fire, it did little to quench the flames of lust in my stomach.

 

I needed Regan’s help.

 

After toweling off and drying my long, thick hair, I dug through the dresser drawers for something to wear. In preparation for my Ascension, Regan had stocked them full of clothing, outfits from both herself and Addison. She always thought of everything; certainly she’d have a solution to my latest...problem.

 

To my surprise and relief, Addison’s undergarments fit better. I hadn’t grown as much as I’d thought. The idea of being large among Ascended women terrified me for some reason, perhaps because I’d always been so small. I still wanted to hold onto a piece of that feeling.

 

I selected a pink eyelet sundress, something Addison would never be caught dead wearing. Regan likely bought it as a gift or a joke. Either way, it suited me just fine. The way the fabric brushed against my skin…

 

Ugh, I had to get these thoughts out of my head.

 

I picked up the phone and selected Regan’s name. She answered after the second ring. “Ash, is something wrong?”

 

“It’s Luna.” I paused, unable to say what was on my mind.

 

“Luna, you’re voice sounds different. Did you Ascend?”

 

“Yes, but…”

 

“Hold on. I’ll be right over.”

 

She hung up, and I went to the front door. After disengaging the alarm, I opened the door just in time to see her jogging up the driveway in her nightgown. Though it was nearly midnight, she didn’t hesitate to come to my aid and Addison would have done the same. I couldn’t ask for better friends.

 

I descended the outdoor stairs and met her halfway. We embraced as a motion-sensing flood light illuminated our surroundings. Though still several inches taller than me and significantly more full-figured, she seemed so much smaller and less imposing. Yet, she was my best friend, and that hadn’t changed.

 

“Oh Luna, look at you.” She held me at arms length, then looked me up and down. “You’re all grown up, and you’re so beautiful. I — I’m going to cry.”

 

We managed to sit on the concrete steps before breaking down into tears, hugging each other as raw emotion poured out. Though we had different reasons for our feelings, I took comfort in her presence, in her unshakable support.

 

Finally, she spoke. “Baby, tell me what’s wrong.” She wiped the tears from my face and pulled back my hair. “How do you feel?”

 

I shook my head in silence.

 

“Oh, Luna. I know. It’s a lot to go through.”

 

“I’m a monster, Regan.”

 

“No, you’re not —”

 

“I am. I dreamt that Ash...left me because all I wanted was sex.”

 

“Baby, it’s just a dream.”

 

“But it’s true! All I can think about is sex. It’s the only thing on my mind.”

 

Regan rubbed my cheek with her thumb. “That’s normal, Luna.”

 

“Not for me! I’ve always enjoyed sex, but it never dominated my thoughts. He’s going to hate me.”

 

“He won’t —”

 

Yes he will. I know him. He’s going to divorce —”

 

“Now hold on a second and let me speak.” Regan used a tone of militant compassion. “First of all, he won’t hate you. Ever. That man loves you more than you can imagine.

 

“Secondly, all Ascended women have these feelings. It comes with Ascension, and it is normal.”

 

“It’s normal to feel aroused all the time?”

 

“Yes. It starts around the age of twenty, give or take a year. Why do you think male abduction is so rampant? It’s not just because of the shortage of men. It’s because women can’t resist their urges. That’s why we never let him out of our site when we’re in public. I explained this to you and Ash earlier, but until you’ve experienced it, you don’t understand. Now you do.”

 

“But it’s so strong.”

 

“Some days are worse than others. Eventually, you get used to it, and it isn’t so bad. For example, just being around Ash gives me energy; I’ve learned how to control and channel my arousal.”

 

“I never knew Ash made you feel that way.”

 

“It’s not just him; it’s all males. Although...his physical attractiveness multiples the effect. Never tell him I said that, by the way.”

 

“Oh...ok.” She’d lived with this for the last four years? How? I could barely go four minutes.

 

“Don’t worry. I’m not going to steal him from you.”

 

“I’m not worried about that. But...is this why women touch him so often?”

 

“Yes. They can’t help it. It’s instinctual, and most don’t even know they’re doing it.”

 

“I felt it too. It’s like I didn’t want to let him out of my arms. What about Addison? Surely —”

 

“My wife has incredible self control. She’s never needed a Healer. But even she would prefer to carry Ash, rather than let him walk unaided. Again, keep this between us.”

 

In a sense, he already knew this information. Everyone attended sex education classes in college, however most of it was geared toward the female anatomy and lesbian intercourse. The intensity of Ascended desire for men couldn’t be articulated in any meaningful way. It was probably like a heroin addict trying to describe the craving to a nonuser.

 

“Is that why you go to a Healer each month?”

 

“Absolutely, even though it costs half my paycheck. If I didn’t, I’d go crazy.”

 

I smiled a little at the thought.

 

“It’s not funny.” She chuckled. “You’re lucky you have him. Even if you only have sex once a day, that’s still thirty times more than what I get. Addison’s phenomenal in bed, but she’s not a Healer.”

 

“Do you think he’d do it that much? Once a day?”

 

“Are you nuts? He doesn’t have your libido but he’s not a monk, as if any of those still existed. Wait...are you saying you haven’t been having sex much?”

 

I shrugged, averting my eyes.

 

“Luna, don’t get shy on me now. How many times a week? Just hold up your fingers if you don’t want to say it.”

 

My smile broadened. She was being ridiculous and she knew it. Nevertheless, I held out three fingers. “Some nights, when I get home from work, I’m tired.”

 

“Well, that’s not bad. But remember, you’re never going to be tired again. Ever. Not when you’re married to a Healer. Sleep will be entirely optional.”

 

“He’s not a Healer; he’s my husband.”

 

“You know what I mean. He’s got the same equipment.”

 

“What if he’s too tired?”

 

“Unless he’s sick, he’ll never be too tired. Besides, there are things you can do — ”

 

“I’m not going to rape him.”

 

Men responded to the bodily fluids of Ascended women. To a male, Ascended saliva served as a hypnotic aphrodisiac that always resulted in copulation. An open mouth kiss was essentially rape, and could be prosecuted as such. Even sweat had a minor effect, one that Ash had complained about after the hiking trip last week.

 

“It’s not rape if you’re married.”

 

“I refuse to force anything on him.”

 

“What if he kisses you?”

 

“That...that would be ok.”

 

“You’re hopeless. Just talk to him. Explain that you’d like to have sex once a night if possible and I really don’t think he’d have a problem with it.”

 

“What about his penis?” I’d already dug myself this deep into the conversation, I might as well go all the way. Somehow, the discussion didn’t embarrass me as much as it should have. It was as if we were talking about some core survival skill, rather than intimate bedroom secrets.

 

“What about it?” Her eyebrows squished together.

 

“He won’t fit inside me anymore.”

 

“I don’t understand.” Her look of perplexity deepened. “Of course he’ll fit.”

 

“I mean...he won’t fill me anymore.”

 

As she smiled, I frowned. “You’re not taking me seriously.”

 

“I am. I am.” She lifted my chin. “Listen, I’ve never known what it’s like to be filled with a live male penis. But it doesn’t matter. Trust me.”

 

“Doesn’t matter for him or for me?”

 

“Both of you. Neither of you.” She forcefully expelled air, then took a deep breath. “I’m just going to say it. The fluids involved with sex are like contact poison, but in a good way. As long as you’re...aroused, he won’t last two minutes inside you. And when he finishes, that’s when you’ll feel it — the most incredible orgasm of your life. It’s like the peak of Ascension all over again.”

 

“Really?” It sounded too good to be true.

 

“Yes, really. And for you, the twenty hours following sex will be bliss. Your injuries, if you have any, will heal rapidly. Excess fat will burn and muscles will tone, returning your body to a state of pristine health. And best of all, the post-orgasmic afterglow will last for an entire day. It’s the primary reason Healers are in such high demand.”

 

“Wow.” Even though I hadn’t had sex since fully Ascending, I must still be experiencing some of the afterglow Regan had mentioned. And I could feel this way, or better, every day? Too good to be true.

 

Apparently, my face betrayed my thoughts.

 

“Wow is right.” Regan smirked. “You’re a very lucky woman, Luna. Honestly, I’m jealous. You won the lottery with Ash. But it couldn’t have happened to a better person. And he’s just as lucky to have you as his wife.”

 

I hugged her with all my strength. It wasn’t fair that I’d been given so much. She, Addison, and most of the world would never experience the happiness a heterosexual relationship could bring. Did I really deserve it? Did I deserve Ash?

 

She pulled away and looked at me with those dark brown eyes. “You’re his Guardian now, Luna. Addison and I will help of course, but he’s primarily your responsibility. Do you understand?”

 

“I think so. He’s happy that we’ll be able to go places together now.”

 

“Like Baskin-Robbins?” Regan wore a knowing smile.

 

I averted my eyes, then nodded.

 

“It’s ok. We’re not going to stop you.”

 

“You’re not?” I turned back to her, disbelieving my ears.

 

“Nope. But remember your role as his Guardian is to protect him from all harm, even if that means protecting him from himself.”

 

“But, it’s just ice cream.”

 

“Luna, men don’t heal the same way as women. They don’t revert back to perfect health without diet and exercise. I’ll let you do the reading on high fructose sugars and come to your own conclusions. You’re significantly smarter than him now, and —”

 

“I’m not smarter than him.”

 

“Oh, Luna.” She caressed the side of my face. “What did you wear on this day, five years ago?”

 

“A crew neck tee, skinny jeans, flat shoes, and a fleece jacket. Wait. How did I know that?”

 

“A much larger portion of your mind is available to you now. You’ll learn things easier. You’ll memorize without forgetting. Concepts will make immediate sense. Some women are more gifted than others, but we knew you’d be smart. Induction heightens Ascension’s effect on intelligence. Simply study and apply yourself. All of the great geniuses of our time were induced.”

 

“I don’t want to be a genius!”

 

“I’m afraid it’s too late for that.”

 

“It’s not! I refuse to study. I refuse to learn more than I already know. He doesn’t want me to be too smart, and I don’t want it either.”

 

“Ok. Ok.” Regan sighed. “Just please read the book about Guardianship, at least the chapters male nutrition. I placed it on the coffee table. Not all of the recipes in there taste bad, I promise.”

 

I hesitated before speaking again. “I’ll read that one book, but we’re still going to Baskin-Robbins. I won’t change my mind, and you can’t stop us.”

 

“I know, baby.” Her fingers combed my hair behind my ear. “I know.”

 

Though her words were condescending, her eyes held only love for me. She wanted the best for us.

 

Upon awakening as a fully Ascended woman, my instinct had been to cuddle with Ash. At the time, I’d dismissed the idea as lust. However, it had also derived from a primal desire to protect. In a way, everything had shrunk, but he’d become especially small. It was my duty to protect him.

 

And with that goal in mind, one book wouldn’t hurt.

 

 

Chapter 8 by SpookyTaco

“Do I really have to get this done?”

 

“Yes, Ash,” Regan said from the driver’s seat. “Starting next year, the tracking implant will be required for all men. So you’re just getting a head start.”

 

“Can’t we wait until next year?” I asked from the back car seat, searching for any way to avoid the inevitable. I hated shots.

 

“Luna,” Regan said.

 

“She’s right Ash. It really is safer this way.”

 

Sitting in the back of the Camry with me, Luna reached over and placed her enormous hand on my right thigh. I still couldn’t get over her new size. At ten foot eleven, she matched Addison’s height, not particularly tall for an Ascended woman. But she was my wife, previously the smallest woman I knew, and she couldn’t even use a car seat anymore.

 

I grabbed her forefinger and she smiled over at me. Her cataract-free eyes shone with a deep happiness, quelling my apprehension and reminding me that we’d made the right decision regarding her Ascension. Even though she’d acted weird this morning, avoiding a kiss I’d aimed at her lips, she’d made up for it by cooking a delicious breakfast and cleaning the entire kitchen.

 

“Sorry, honey.” I massaged her palm, the fleshy area under her thumb. “I don’t know why I’m complaining about my procedure when yours is more important.”

 

“Please don’t worry about me. I’m just getting a scan, and I’m confident they won’t find any traces of the tumor.”

 

“I’m sure you’re right. You look so healthy; you’re glowing.”

 

“I feel healthy. Ash, I wish I could share this feeling with you. You have no idea what it’s like. I have so much energy, and it’s easier to think. I read the entire Guardian’s Handbook before you woke up this morning.”

 

Great. Why did she have to read that book? She needed to read it eventually, but why so early? 

 

As if reading my thoughts, she leaned over and whispered into my ear. “Don’t worry. After your procedure, we’ll go get as much ice cream as you want.”

 

I smiled and wrapped my arms around her head, causing her to giggle. Our relationship had changed, but she was still the same Luna, and I had no reason to be concerned.

 

She pulled away, but her hand returned to me. Sliding behind my head and down the nape of my neck, her powerful digits massaged my tense muscles and forced a lazy exhalation from my lungs. Unlike other women, she knew exactly where to apply pressure for maximum relief.

 

“If you two insist on getting ice cream, Luna’s going to have to learn how to drive using the pedals,” Regan said, apparently overhearing our conspiracy.

 

“No she doesn’t. I can drive just fine.”

 

“That’s absurd. I’ve never heard of a man driving when a Guardian is present. You have a single car, and when we get home, we’re removing driver’s side car seat.”

 

“Regan, that car belongs to Ash. His mother bought it for him.”

 

“Honey, everything that’s mine is yours. If Regan says —”

 

“No. It’s not fair. You’re freedom shouldn’t be limited just because I’m your Guardian now. I don’t care how the rest of the world works. I’m not taking away your right to drive.”

 

“That’s ridiculous.” Regan huffed.

 

Luna continued her delightful ministrations on my neck, coaxing a well of joy from the depths of my belly. I’d feared her Ascension would mean the end of our ideological alliance in this world, but that wasn’t the case. Overcome by her touch and by her defense of my freedom, I blinked back tears of gratitude. Although I couldn’t speak, my face revealed my feelings.

 

“Oh, Ash.” She undid the harness and lifted me onto her lap, then hugged me against her chest.

 

“And that’s illegal.” Regan sighed. “If Addison were here, she’d throw a fit.”

 

“We’re almost there. It’ll be fine.” Luna rubbed my back and cradled my head as I melted into her. I couldn’t wrap my arms around her, but it didn’t stop me from trying.

 

I loved this woman with all my heart, and every day, her actions reminded me why.

 

***

 

After pulling into the parking lot of Pleks Hospital, Luna opened the door and allowed me to exit. When she climbed out, her sundress brushed my shoulder and drew my attention to her long legs. In spite of the morning chill, she didn’t need pants and I didn’t mind the view.

 

“You’re not going to carry him?” Regan asked as she rounded the back of the car and joined us.

 

“He likes to walk.” Luna led the way toward the hospital’s outpatient entrance, walking slowly so that I could keep pace.

 

“You know you want to.” Wearing a sly smile, Regan sauntered up alongside Luna.

 

Luna looked down, allowing me to see the blush on her cheeks. She still embarrassed easily, an adorable quality that thankfully hadn’t disappeared.

 

“She can carry me whenever she wants,” I said, eager to defend. “Unlike some people, she doesn’t feel the need to snatch me off the ground at every opportunity.”

 

“Oh, you mean like me?” Regan veered behind Luna and swept me into the air, depositing me unceremoniously onto her hip. Then, she kissed me on the forehead.

 

“Hey!” I squirmed, but no no avail. She stifled my movements with her other arm.

 

Luna giggled, then swung to the other side of Regan. “You can’t blame her, Ash.”

 

“Why not?” I ended my struggles, curious as to why my wife had abandoned me in my moment of need.

 

“You’re just too cute.” She swallowed my small hand in hers and I felt instantly better.

 

I reached my arms out to Luna’s neck; if I had to be carried, I’d rather it be by my wife.

 

“Nope.” Regan sidestepped, increasing the distance between Luna and myself. “She’s heading to a different waiting room. Besides, she’s married to you and I don’t get to spend enough time with you.”

 

We entered the hospital and Luna stopped at the elevator. She gave my hair one last ruffle. “Bye Ash. I’ll come as soon as I get done. Be strong.”

 

“You too, honey.”

 

She kissed me on the cheek and we went off on our separate ways.

 

***

 

The waiting room for male outpatient procedures was entirely different than the one for females, both in terms of relative security and occupancy. Unlike women, men couldn’t benefit from the services of a Healer. Therefore, they visited hospitals on a more regular basis. And where men congregated, security increased.

 

Wearing khaki uniforms and dark blue berets, two security guards, upright and unflinching, flanked the front desk. Curved swords in black scabbards hung from their belts, close at hand, ready to be drawn at a moment’s notice.

 

Half a dozen men, each with at least one Guardian, sat in maroon armchairs. Most appeared to be in their late sixties or older, judging from their lined faces and gray hair. As Regan walked to the front and signed in, their eyes followed me like magnets, perhaps contemplating the appearance of someone as young as myself. Most men received the tracking implant in an outpatient clinic. We would have done the same, if not for Luna’s coinciding appointment at the hospital.

 

Regan selected a seat next to the youngest of the bunch, a balding man with a thick mustache and plump features, an indication that he’d probably spent more of his life being carried than using his own two legs. A brief wheeze accompanied his close-mouthed exhale, shuffling the hairs on his mustache. Like all of the men in the room, he sat on his wife’s lap and stared at me as if I were an alien.

 

“Hi,” I said as Regan set me on her lap, facing the man.

 

His wife, at least I assumed she was his wife, frowned, her magnified eyes piercing me through thick-rimmed spectacles. She wore a ring on every finger except her thumbs, and gaudy bracelets decorated her wrists. By and large, heterosexual couples had more money, and many flaunted their wealth — this woman being one such example.

 

“My name’s Ash.”

 

I rarely met anyone close to my own age. I was born several years after the Consent Enforcement Edict of 1986, but before the Procreation Edict of 1995. The former abolished male rape; the latter mandated marriage of all males, established the Healer Draft, and permitted polygamy within limits.

 

As a result, due to the scarcity of heterosexual intercourse during those years, very few men were born. Artificial insemination and in vitro fertilisation sustained the world’s female population (1.7 billion and counting), but never produced males; nor did those techniques impart any of the other benefits provided by a Healer or a husband.

 

“I’m just here to get the tracking —”

 

“Do you always let your husband say whatever he wants?” The woman removed her ruby-encrusted glasses and arched her black eyebrows, her attention directed at Regan.

 

“Excuse me?” Regan turned to face the woman. “First of all, he’s not my husband. Secondly, why do you care if he wants to have a conversation with your man?”

 

“Harold isn’t allowed to speak unless I permit it.” She rested her right hand on his shoulder, long fingers dangling over his torso. Manicured fingernails, each painted crimson as if they’d been dipped in blood, tapped against his button-down shirt. “Isn’t that right, Harold?”

 

“Yes, ma’am.”

 

“What did I ask you to call me when we’re in public?” She squeezed his shoulder, causing him to wince.

 

“Sorry, M — Madame Fara.”

 

“That’s better.” She relaxed her grip. “You see, if you keep your man under control, he won’t get into trouble. Of course, you wouldn’t know any of this, seeing as how you’re not married.”

 

“For your information, I am married — to a beautiful woman. We treat each other as equals, just like Ash’s wife treats him. You may think you’re keeping your man under control, but it’s clear you don’t know the first thing about love.”

 

“That’s nonsense. Harold and I have been in love since the day we met. Out of eighty candidates, he picked me, and he hasn’t regretted a day since. Isn’t that right?” She squeezed again, making me wonder if the doctor would notice any bruising. Male abuse, if detected and proven, allowed for divorce even without the wife’s consent.

 

“Yes, Madame Fara.”

 

“Harold, is she hurting you?” Regan asked, concern evident in her tone.

 

Harold craned his neck, looking up at Fara for direction. I felt sorry for the guy. He, like many men, had been forced into a life of acquiescence, one which consisted of little more than eating, sleeping, and sex. After so many years of such treatment, his obedience had become willful, second nature, as if no other option existed.

 

“Go ahead, Harold. Answer the lady.”

 

“Madame Fara isn’t hurting me.”

 

“See there.” Fara swished a lock of long, black hair over her shoulder. “If I didn’t love him, I wouldn’t be taking him to the hospital, now would I?”

 

“Are you sick?” I asked. Though Harold didn’t appear to be in the greatest health, he wasn’t coughing and lacked any obvious sign of injury.

 

“My Harold suffers from ED. I assume you know what that is. I can assure you it has nothing to do with his love for me, which is stronger than ever. He’s just not as young and virile as he used to be. Right, Harold?”

 

“Yes, Madame Fara.”

 

“He used to be a Healer?” Regan asked.

 

“Yes, but that has nothing to do with it.” Fara snapped.

 

Regan shrugged.

 

Erectile dysfunction plagued Healers more than anyone else. Something about having sex with eight women a day, five days a week, reduced the male libido. Fortunately, Healers earned nearly twice as much as the average physician, enabling early retirement and extended periods of rest if desired. Last year, I’d been forced to serve as a Healer. In that single week, I’d earned more than what I made in a month as a software developer. Significantly more.

 

I’d also developed a distaste for the profession, and dreaded the draft more than shots.

 

***

 

“Alright, Ash. Hold still. This will only hurt for a second.”

 

The white-coated doctor loomed over me, holding a mechanical tube with a large needle at one end. I lay on the cold examination table, jeans removed, head turned as far as possible to watch as she lowered the menacing device toward my legs.

 

“Wait! Where are you going to inject it?”

 

She paused. “Right behind your knee joint. The tracking node will embed into your calf muscle.”

 

“Will I be able to walk afterwards?”

 

“You’ll be sore for a few days, so try to take it easy.”

 

“He doesn’t need to walk.” Regan sat in a small office chair straight across from me, her arms folded, an indication of her irritation with my questions.

 

“Can’t we just wait until next year?” I pleaded, my heart thumping in my chest.

 

“Absolutely not.” Regan scowled. “Ash, we’re already here. You’re getting the implant. No further questions.”

 

I rolled over and sat up. “I refuse. You’re not my Guardian anymore. Luna is. She wouldn’t make me do this.”

 

Regan jumped to her feet. “Now hold on a second. Luna wants you to get the implant, and you know it. Stop being a baby and take it like a woman.”

 

“Why don’t you get one first?” I shot back. “Tell me how it feels to have a needle the size of a finger stuck into your skin.”

 

“It’s not that big —”

 

“Maybe not to you, but to me it is.”

 

“I don’t need the implant because I’m not in danger of getting abducted. You, on the other hand, are. It’s a miracle we’ve managed to keep you safe this long. Besides, if you refuse to get it, you’re not getting any ice cream.”

 

“I don’t care about the ice cream.” I lied, but at this point, I just wanted to escape this sterile office and run as far from the oversized needle as possible.

 

“Ash,” Dr. Boyd placed a caring hand on my leg, but it did nothing to calm me. “She’s right. The implant is for your own protection, especially given your age. I only treat men, and this year, I’ve seen very few in their early twenties. Your value to women in your age range is dangerously high.”

 

“That’s their problem, not mine.” I swatted her hand away. “I’m married and I’m not a Healer and I just want to live my life in peace. Is that too much to ask?”

 

“Ash, that’s exactly why we’re doing this procedure.” Regan rubbed my back, softening her tone. She must have sensed my anxiety and tension.

 

The door opened and a young nurse peeked into the office. “Dr. Boyd, Mrs. Rose is in the waiting room asking if she can come back.”

 

“Yes, send her in. Thanks, Aubrey.”

 

A few seconds later, Luna entered the room and hurried toward me. She bent down and hugged my head against her chest.

 

“It’s ok, Ash. I’m here now.” She repeated the latter phrase until the quaking in my limbs abated. Then, she pulled away and caressed my cheek.

 

“I don’t want it.”

 

“He’s acting like a baby.” Regan snorted.

 

“Am not.” I couldn’t think of anything else to say, fear still present in my mind.

 

“Oh ya?” Regan bent down and looked me in the eyes. “Your wife gets back from her cancer screening and all you can think about is yourself. That’s childish behavior.”

 

Horrified, my mouth dropped open and my breath caught in my lungs. She was right. How could I be so negligent? “I’m sorry, Luna. How —”

 

“It’s ok.” She smiled, her breath sweet against my nose. “You’re just frightened and not thinking straight. I’m cancer-free, thanks to you, Ash.”

 

I gulped and she let me hug her head. I had been concerned about her health, and her news washed over me like a tsunami of relief. Unfortunately, it did little to reduce my disappointment. Why did I forget to ask her earlier? I didn’t deserve someone like her.

 

When she pulled away this time, her hair dangled from the corner of my mouth until I wiped it away, causing us both to grin. Then, she spoke with more conviction that I’d ever heard her use. “If he doesn’t want the shot, he’s not getting it.”

 

My heart soared. Once again, she’d defended me. The baffled expression on Regan’s face was priceless.

 

After regaining her composure, Regan said, “Luna, you’re his Guardian now. It’s your decision to make, not his.”

 

“And my decision is to honor his desire.”

 

“But —”

 

“That’s the end of it, Regan. He’s not getting the shot.”

 

Regan looked as if she was about to cry. “A — all I ever wanted was for you two to be safe.” She swallowed. “I tried so hard. Addison and I both tried so hard. You probably hate me Ash, but we really —”

 

“I don’t hate you. I know you try. I just...I guess I am acting a little selfish.”

 

Luna hugged Regan. “Neither of us hate you. We love you, and Ash reminded me of how much you love us last night. Please don’t cry.”

 

My wife had enough strength for everyone. She’d changed in that regard. In the past, she’d been the one to receive consolation more often than not.

 

“I don’t know.” Indecision crept back into my mind. “Honey, what do you think. Should I get it?”

 

Luna released Regan and turned back to me. “It’s up to you, Ash. But if you ask me, I’d like for you to have it. I get worried sometimes…”

 

I released a nervous sigh, then flipped onto my stomach.

 

“Ok. Let’s do it.”

 

 

Chapter 9 by SpookyTaco

I separated the broccoli heads, then arranged them on a plate with celery, apple slices, and baby carrots. A small bowl of hummus, spinach and artichoke, sat in the center. In total, the food amounted to little more than a snack for me now. However, it wasn’t for me.

 

Ash lay on the couch, stomach down, and as I brought the dish into the living room, his distressed eyes followed my movements. After setting the plate on the coffee table, I lowered to my knees and stroked his hair. “How are you feeling?”

 

“My stomach still hurts.” His mouth moved against the pillow; his head lay turned to the side facing me.

 

“Want to try some fruits and vegetables? I read that it helps with stomach pain.”

 

“I’m never going to eat ice cream again.”

 

Mentally, I rejoiced, but guilt tainted the joy — a bittersweet victory at best.

 

Essentially, I’d tricked him. We’d both ordered the waffle cone at Baskin-Robbins, his fudge brownie, mine pistachio almond. We’d both raced to finish them before they dripped everywhere, and even after I’d finished mine, I’d encouraged him to continue, knowing this would be the result.

 

I could have stopped him. I could have helped him finish eating a dessert that was designed for people many times his weight. But, I didn’t. I rationalized it — a night of suffering was a small price to pay for a life of healthy living.

 

Unfortunately, rationality did not assuage my conscience. “I’m sorry, Ash.” 

 

“Why? It’s not your fault.”

 

It was my fault. I didn’t feel smarter, but I’d outsmarted him. Using reverse psychology, I’d guided him down the path leading to his current condition, all without his awareness. The old Luna never would’ve acted under such clandestine motives. She would’ve shared everything with him, informing him of the risks of eating too much sugar. Wouldn’t she?

 

“How about some tv?” I went to the other side of the three-person couch and sat, then pulled the bed sheet over his exposed feet. Even fully stretched out, he occupied less than two cushions.

 

“Ok.” He tried to sound strong in spite of his discomfort.

 

I turned on the television and flipped through the channels. Soap operas, women’s rugby, Empress Lailah’s World Address…

 

Twilight, a movie where a teenage boy falls in love with a female vampire. What luck — it had just begun!

 

“Haven’t we seen this already?” he asked.

 

“Yes.”

 

“Do we have to watch it again? It was predictable enough the first time.”

 

“Pleeease.” I encased his feet with my hand and rubbed my thumb against his soles.

 

“Mmmm...ok.”

 

“Thanks!” I smiled and continued the foot massage. Over the course of the day, I’d become accustomed to his small stature. Instinctively, I knew how much pressure I could apply before causing harm. I’d adapted to other size differences with equal rapidity. It was as Regan had said; things simply ‘made sense’.

 

He moaned as I moved my hand upward and kneaded his calf, the one without the implant, between my thumb and two fingers. I reached and massaged his thigh muscles, pressing the tension out of his hamstrings. I dared not proceed further, because I still hadn’t gotten over my dream from last night. And because he needed sleep, not arousal.

 

Unfortunately, as time passed, the movie did nothing to dampen my own arousal. Bella, the Ascended lead in the film, saved Edward from getting struck by a van in the school parking lot. Even though she was a vampire, over one hundred years old, and craved his blood, they still fell in love. The kissing scene in Edward’s bedroom raised goosebumps all over my skin, and by the time the movie ended, I was hornier than ever.

 

“I can’t believe you massaged me through that entire movie,” he said in a lazy voice, then sat up and hugged my arm.

 

“I did?” My fingers had acted on autopilot. I hadn’t even noticed their ministrations, another indication that I’d fully Ascended. “Are you feeling better?”

 

“Much better.” On his knees, he rubbed his head against my shoulder. “You’re much prettier than Bella, by the way.”

 

I grinned. His compliments never got old. “Too bad I’m not a vampire.”

 

“How do you know you’re not?” he asked in a playful tone.

 

Wow. He must be feeling better. This could be fun. “Well if I’m a vampire, you better run.”

 

“Why?” He tilted his head up.

 

“Because I’m getting thirsty.” I reached my other hand toward his neck in slow motion.

 

He slid off the couch and ran to the stairs.

 

“You can’t hide from me, Edward.” I rose to my feet as he descended, most likely heading toward the basement bedroom.

 

To confirm, I pressed the side button on my new GPS tracking watch. He was fifteen feet below, and a little to the south of me. I didn’t need to use the watch inside the house; I could find him easily without it. However, the blipping dot gave me peace of mind. With the touch of a button, I could find him anywhere in the world now.

 

I took the stairs slowly, intentionally stepping on the ones that creaked so that he would hear my approach. “Where did you go, little Edward? You have nothing to fear. I only want a taste.”

 

The lines were corny and completely fabricated. In the movie, though Bella’s eyes did linger on Edward’s neck in several scenes, she only drank animal blood. Of course, Ash didn’t know that. He’d slept through half the film on both occasions.

 

Bypassing the basement light switch, I stepped into the dark bedroom and looked around. Even though the sun had set and no light entered through the window, I could see perfectly fine. I could also hear the breathing and the faint heartbeat of the man I loved, hiding in the most obvious place — under the bed.

 

“Come out, Edward.” I walked to the side of the bed. “The longer you make me wait, the harder it will be for you.”

 

Soft laughter...then movement. I dropped to the floor and shot my arm underneath the bed. My hand gripped his ankle just before he slid away. “I’ve got you now, my love. You can’t escape.”

 

His leg jerked in my grasp, but I held on tight and pulled him out, careful to ensure he didn’t bump his head on the bed frame. As soon as I had him out, I scooped him into my cross-legged lap, sitting so that he faced away, and hugged him back against my chest and stomach.

 

As he struggled in vain to free himself, I lowered my mouth to his ear and whispered, “This will only hurt a little.”

 

“Nooo!” His hands gripped my forearms and pulled, his tiny biceps straining under my effortless embrace. His struggles multiplied my lust because he couldn’t even begin to challenge my physical superiority. Not that I’d ever wanted to be ‘superior’ in that regard, but something about it felt incredible, at a primal level.

 

“You can’t escape my vampire strength.” I gave him a light squeeze, forcing the air from his lungs to prove the point.

 

“Please. I’ll be good.” His chest heaved. “Just don’t kill me.”

 

Eventually, his twisting and tugging waned, reminding me of his limited endurance.

 

“Kill you?” I lifted him in the air by the armpits, then spun him around to face me before standing myself. “Who said anything about killing? I don’t intend to drink all your blood.”

 

I laid him on the bed on his back with his arms and legs splayed out. His lungs gulped air as he looked up at me descending upon him like a dome. “Of course, there’s not much blood in that little body of yours…”

 

When he tried to sit, I forced him back down with a gentle forefinger to his sternum. The box springs creaked as I dropped forward onto my elbows. Then, I pinned his arms with my hands, and lowered my head toward his neck.

 

Showing more energy than expected, he wrenched his body from side to side, causing me to pause my descent until he stopped.

 

“My blood”—he gasped, thoroughly winded—“doesn’t taste good.”

 

“I’ll be the judge of that.” I brought my lips to his right shoulder and inhaled. Even if I wanted to stop, I couldn’t.

 

My open mouth covered the entire side of his neck, my bottom teeth reaching to his Adam’s apple. I bit lightly and sucked, then undulated my tongue against his skin and made gulping noises. Though I wasn’t really drinking his blood, I was tasting his sweat, and it tasted delicious.

 

I lifted my head, dangling a string of saliva from my mouth to his shiny neck. “That wasn’t so bad, was it?”

 

“Can I go now?” His mouth hung partway open, his eyes turning glassy.

 

“Do you want to go?” It wasn’t fair. Surely, he knew the effects my saliva would have on him.

 

He nodded. “I forgot to eat the food you brought.”

 

Perhaps the aphrodisiac took longer to absorb through the skin. I lowered my mouth toward his. Was it wrong? Could I even stop myself at this point?

 

Our lips met, but I proceeded no further, willing my body to walk the tightrope over the abyss of wrongful desire. His nasal exhalations tickled my skin as we remained in that position. But when his tongue touched my lips, I pulled away as if stung by a bee.

 

His hurt expression confused me, almost as much as his words. “You still love me, don’t you Luna?”

 

I returned to his mouth and drove my tongue deep, filling the small orifice and overpowering his jaw. His tongue flattened to the bottom of his mouth because it had nowhere else to go. His teeth bit down, lightly. Even if he’d used full force, it likely wouldn’t have hurt.

 

I extracted myself, then asked, “Still want to leave?”

 

The haziness in his eyes had increased, and he stared at me with an expression of wanting. “Can we have sex?”

 

Suppressing a smile, I sat back on my legs and caressed the side of his face. “I don’t know, Ash. I think you should rest after that stomach ache.”

 

His eyes widened, and he released a sound somewhere between a whimper and a groan. His hand went to the bulge in his jeans, and he started rubbing. “Please, honey? I don’t think I can hold it in.”

 

My smirk broke through and I asked, “Hold what in? You mean what’s inside here?” I unbuttoned and unzipped his jeans, then pulled them down. The tip of his penis protruded from the hem of his boxers, fully erect and glistening. His hand reached for it, but I grabbed his forearm.

 

“Please, Luna. If we can’t have sex, then I need to...”

 

How should I relieve him of his burden? Orally, or...

 

I slid my moist panties off and lay upon my back. In less than a second, he pulled up my sundress and threw himself on my body, causing me to giggle. He didn’t weigh anything, and didn’t even need to prop himself up.

 

My laughter stopped when he penetrated me. Not because it hurt, but because I could barely feel it. He was in as deep as he could go, his groin colliding against my vulva, but I might as well have been sticking a single finger in there.

 

Still, he seemed to be enjoying himself, so I didn’t mind the reduced sensation. Instead, I marveled at the way his hair rubbed against the cusp of my breasts, at how his thin arms grappled my abdomen as he thrust in and out. Even if I didn’t experience an orgasm, I wouldn’t mind because I was making him happy.

 

I moaned and bucked my hips, pretending to enjoy the activity more than I did. When he came, I faked a spasm and gasped, trying to sound as realistic as possible. I’d never faked an orgasm before, so hopefully he wouldn’t see through my ruse.

 

“Wow.” He crawled up and toppled over, head nestling under my armpit. “That was amazing, wasn’t it?”

 

“Incredible.” I lied, then reached down and fingered my clit. I was wet, but the whole thing ended far too quickly and...weakly. In the future, I could keep a vibrator handy, after discussing it with him of course. He wouldn’t want me to go unsatis — 

 

Pulse.

 

My finger stopped and my head tilted back. Time froze. A staggered breath departed my mouth as the pulsation vanished as mysteriously as it had arrived. It had originated toward the back of my vaginal canal, near the cervix, though that was impossible given he never even reached that far. Perhaps, I’d imagined — 

 

Pulse.

 

My stomach contracted as a wave of hot pleasure throbbed from my core, as if bliss itself, warm and slippery, had crawled into my uterus and given birth to ecstasy. Again and again, the pulsations came with increasing frequency, each stronger than the last, until they surpassed any known limits on my threshold for pleasure.

 

They didn’t stop, and it was all I could to to roll over onto my side, away from him, and scream into the pillow. No longer a pulse, but an intense vibration gave life to every cell in my body, searing every nerve ending with white hot euphoria, building and building until my body went rigid, curled in on itself, then uncurled in a violent arch, every muscle taut as clear fluid sprayed from down below.

 

“Luna!” He shook my shoulders, and I rolled onto my back, dazed. Although the orgasm, if it could be called that, had passed, every inch of my skin still tingled. The damp sheets, the humid air, every sizzling molecule surrounded me with inexplicable gratification — a sense of understanding, of knowing reality, its resplendence, and my place within it.

 

“Are you ok? What’s going on?”

 

His visage blurred as joyful tears leapt into my eyes. I pulled him down and hugged the side of his face against my breasts. “I’m so...happy.” Sobs cut through my speech. “You’ve given me the best gift ever.”

 

“I did?” He tried to get up, but I wasn’t about to let him go.

 

“There are no words to describe it, Ash.”

 

And there weren’t. At that moment, I was perfect. He was perfect for me. 

 

And nothing could change that.

 

***

 

While Ash slept, I bathed in the afterglow. My stomach, breasts, and legs sheathed the backside of his small form, unmoving except for my lungs which expanded and contracted in synchrony with his. Completely rejuvenated, I had no need for sleep, no need for anything but to enjoy every second in his presence.

 

When he finally stirred, I scowled, unable to contain my disappointment at...something. The passage of time perhaps. If someone ever invented a machine to freeze it, I’d be the first customer in line.

 

“Good morning,” I whispered into the back of his head.

 

“What time is it?” He shifted in my arms.

 

“Seven oh two.”

 

“What happened to the alarm?” He raised onto his elbow. “We’ve got to go. We’re going to be late.”

 

“I turned it off.”

 

“What. Why?” He tried to sit, but couldn’t budge my arms.

 

“You weren’t feeling well last night and needed sleep. You can call in sick.”

 

“Luna.” He crawled under my forearm and turned to face me. “I’m fine. Now come on. We’ve got to get to work.”

 

“You don’t have to.”

 

“Of course I do.” Arousingly naked from the waist down, he crawled to the edge of the bed. “It’s Monday isn’t it?”

 

“Like I said, you don’t have to work. Now that I’m Ascended, I can get a better job, one that pays more than what we both make combined.” I rolled over and tackled him with an arm before he could hop from the bed.

 

“Well, you can get a different job if you want, but do you really think I’ll quit my job?” He pushed himself up only to collapse once more as I applied pressure. “Luna!”

 

I giggled, then removed my hand from his back. “No. But I wanted you to know it’s an option.”

 

He jumped to the floor and turned around. “What would I do all day while you’re at work? I’d be bored silly.”

 

I rolled off the bed, scooped him into my arms, and walked toward the stairs. “You could sleep during the day, and play with me all night.”

 

He laughed. “As fun as that sounds —”

 

“I know.” I took the stairs, two at a time. “Can’t blame me for trying. At the very least, I’m taking my shower with you. You certainly need one.” I wrinkled my nose. “All sticky and smelling like sex.”

 

“And whose fault is that?” His eyes narrowed. “Mrs. Vampire Nymphomaniac.”

 

I smiled as we rounded the corner into the bathroom. Vampire nymphomaniac — I liked the sound of it. Perhaps we’d role play something else tonight.

 

But first things first, we needed a shower. Though the thought of ‘marking’ him as mine had its appeal, he wouldn’t want to show up at work smelling like my private parts. The scent would definitely be detectable to an Ascended woman.

 

Still, if cleaning must be done, I intended to assist...and have a little fun in the process.

 

 

This story archived at http://www.giantessworld.net/viewstory.php?sid=4590