Hunt for Philian Fawk: The Goddesses' Lair by ItsUli
Summary:

The northern shelf is home to a brave people, who despite the harsh living conditions, have survived and built up a civilisation that has lasted for hundreds of years. In the main village "Norwinsk", a famous society of adventurers known as "The men of Inquiry" resides, its members, the most skilled men and women of the north, lead expeditions into the deadly tundra to the north to secure supplies from the scarce wildlife and to find treasures unknown hidden in the ice. Join Philian Fawk, his sister Kyra and their proud team of adventurers, as they take on an expedition far more dangerous than any of them would have expected. After facing the many dangers of unmapped territories, they soon make a discovery of a magnitude beyond comparison. But everything comes with a price and in this case, the price is yet to be determined. 


Categories: Giantess, Adventure, Butt, Crush, Destruction, Fantasy, Feet, Gentle, Humiliation, Insertion, New World Order, Slave, Vore Characters: None
Growth: Giant (31 ft. to 50 ft.)
Shrink: None
Size Roles: F/m
Warnings: Following story may contain inappropriate material for certain audiences
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 7 Completed: No Word count: 15401 Read: 20029 Published: November 15 2019 Updated: December 12 2019
Story Notes:

Hey everybody and welcome to the first story I'm deciding to publish on this panel. At this point in time it is yet far from being finished but I didn't want to wait till that time has come. This story is dedicated mainly to the giantess-community and while you will notice that it takes quite some time until the word "Giantess" let alone any other related aspect is even so much as mentioned, keep in mind, that these are only the first four chapters of a potentially 30k+ words story in which I wanted to combine my interest in giantess-fantasies with storytelling that is not only focussed on the more "action-centred" elements of this genre but also makes some attempts at worldbuilding and includes at least a hint of in-depth character development. (That said, I am not saying that as a writer I'm any good at that...). At later stages the story will include a variety and higher density of action-centred-elements usually found in the genre, but is limited to F/m interaction and is already tagged according to the elements you can expect to be included (Different sizes of GTS will be represented in the story!) . I will not always release four chapters at once and I am not yet clear on the time it will take to update the story, hence there will be no fixed schedule for further releases. 

 

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended

 

 

__________________________________________________________________

1. Chapter One: The Men of Inquiry by ItsUli

2. Chapter Two: Unmapped Territory by ItsUli

3. Chapter Three: The Flight by ItsUli

4. Chapter Four: Andvaka by ItsUli

5. Chapter Five: Into the Lair by ItsUli

6. Chapter Six: The Council of Halja by ItsUli

7. Chapter Seven: Halja’s Offer by ItsUli

Chapter One: The Men of Inquiry by ItsUli

Among the most popular tales on the northern shelf are those that tell stories of great treasures hidden in the icy caverns beyond the frozen sea. Stories that were loved by the people for their suspense, but even more so for that grain of truth, found in each and every one of them. For more than two-hundred years young men and women, filled with ambition and fervour, would leave their homeland to travel across the ice and seek valuables to bring back home to their families. A dangerous endeavour undoubtedly, for many souls had been lost to the chilling tundra and its perils. Glory they sought and it was glory that awaited those who’d return.

Celebrated and admired by peers and elders alike for their bravery, their contributions to their families, clans and communities, they would be given the chance to join one of the oldest guilds in the north, the men of inquiry. An honour many a man and woman strove for. As part of this guild you would count to the most respected members of this society, teach children the ways of the wild; how and what to hunt in the tundra, how to orientate yourself judging from the constellations on the night sky only and where to find access to those ancient caverns that were believed to be gateways to the remains of the civilisations of old. But to be a man or woman of inquiry would also require a promise, an oath if you will, to act in the service of the north. For it was the task of the men of inquiry to map out the immensities of the lands beyond, to provide not only information but also resources in times of need.

Wildlife in the north was scarce; the hunting grounds in the homeland would rarely provide enough to feed everyone but despite the harsh living conditions in the tundra beyond, it brought forth many creatures unseen in the realms of men. Mammoths that could feed an entire village for months, sheep more than twice as large as usual which could provide milk and wool, and also dreadful predators, sabre-toothed-lions which due to their size would not fear to attack any living thing, but whose pelts are worth small fortunes. For more than a hundred years now the north would gather in celebration once a year to remember the day a legendary group of men of inquiry, led by Agamemnon Fawk, brought home a herd of young mammoths that sustained many villages for decades. And so began the legacy of the Fawk-Clan, of which every descendant was bound to become a redeemed man or woman of inquiry.

Philian, great grandson of Agamemnon, as well as his twin-sister Kyra both had survived an expedition into the tundra when they had barely reached the age of fourteen. Now, ten years later, they were still considered prodigies as they had left and returned from many a perilous journey and never had come back empty handed. As it was the custom, they lived among the other men and women of inquiry in the main village Norwinsk at the coast of the northern shelf. The many Fjords and roads connected this village to nearly all other settlements, making it the heart of the north and on a good day, from the rocky tower, you could see far over the frozen sea. The Fawks had lived here for over a century in the rustic manor, Agamemnon’s father had built not far from the guildhall. Both Philian and Kyra loved this place with all their heart and oftentimes when on an expedition their chests would ache with the desire to return home. Neither one of them had started a family of their own but many men had offered themselves to Kyra for that she would give them her hand in marriage, yet she had always declined.

Philian on the other hand, had but little luck with women for the ones he’d meet were either not independent enough or would remind him too much of his sister who he adored but also feared. He was sure that one day his sister would grow up to be the most powerful woman in the north and saw it as his obligation and honour to help her on every step on the way. You must know that while women in the north are as strong and sharp-minded as the men, its society remains a patriarchy. If a man and woman of inquiry were to have a child, it’d be the woman’s duty to resign from the guild and take care of the youngling. As far as Philian was concerned, Kyra was the North’s chance for change and oftentimes he’d burden his sister with these expectations.

It was the third month of the year and supplies were shorter than usual in Norwinsk. Soon they wouldn’t be able to sustain the other villages much longer if no replenishment arrived. Philian and Kyra were called to the guildhall to discuss options with the council of elders. Both knew that it was time for another expedition; too many weeks had passed since they’ve returned from their last. In front of the guildhall they met up with their peers, proud young men and women of inquiry, many of whom had already accompanied the twins on their travels. First one to greet them was Taras, a restless and yet quite crafty boy who had reached the age of nineteen last fall. While significantly younger than him, Taras had become one of Philian’s closest friends over the past years.

»Sir and Lady Fawk, as usual a pleasure to meet the two of you«, he spoke and imitated the accent of southern royalties. Kyra shook her head and smiled while her brother and Taras shared a hug. Her eyes were set on Silias, whom she called Silly in a more loving than mocking way. He leaned against the wooden baulk supporting the canopy and stared at her. It was no secret there was somewhat of a spark between the two of them but they had never gotten to go on an expedition together. Philian glanced at him while greeting the others; he couldn’t quite understand why his sister was so fond of him. Silias was an honourable man, no doubt, and contrary to his sister, Philian did have the pleasure of working together with him. Never had Silias let him down, misbehaved in his presence or spoken inappropriately of his sister but Philian knew that Silias was a proud man who stood by the principles of the north. Sooner or later a relationship between him and Kyra could hinder her from reaching for the stars.

Philian looked back at his sister. It was curious how even though she did not ever spend a lot of time or effort to make herself pretty, she’d always look beautiful. Her long curly dark blonde hair reached over her shoulders and her green eyes were glowing in the sunlight. With roughly six feet she stood as tall as Philian himself, her figure emphasizing her femininity where it counted but not too much to impair her movement or combat. Truth be told, she was more agile than Philian in most respects. She was covered in the leather armaments customary to their family, with fur around the neck and in the cowl to protect her from the icy winds. Philian himself wore his father’s outfit, similar to Kyra’s but tailored to a young man’s stature and with ornaments on the chest. Looking at his sister he couldn’t be mad at Silias for fancying her as so many had before him. Together with Taras, Silias, Mathias and Lysann, the latter two were long-term friends of the Fawk-Clan, the siblings now entered the guildhall and took their seats at the long table used for gatherings of this kind. Many others were already there and it seemed the elders had waited for Philian and the others to arrive.

»It seems everyone is here, so let us begin! «, The Elder Fjodor spoke and blew into his horn to stop the chattering at the table. »You all know the issue at hand, as it is not the first time we faced it. As men and women of inquiry, it is our sacred duty to provide for our families, friends, clans and fellow guild members as well as for those villages which in time of scarcity cannot provide for themselves. And you all know what I must ask of you.« Fjodor’s words echoed throughout the hall as he did not beat abound the bush. For a short moment after, there was silence but Kyra arose from her seat and slammed her hand onto the table.

»Alas! Then we ought not waste any more time. In the ends of summer last cycle, Evodia and Alíki discovered rangelands to the North-east of the cauldron, gather as many of us as you need and be on your way. Jaron! Your reports mention auspicious vegetation in the south-west of the Claw-reefs. Those of you who are taught in the ways of gathering, join him on an expedition there. I myself, shall take my brother and some others who are willing, to the unmapped caverns in the far north and maybe can find materials for tools or valuables to trade with the southerners«, She yelled and once again gave proof to her leadership abilities. The others were baffled at first but then joined together in laughter and held up their drinking horns in approval. »Hark!« some of them bawled and Evodia, Alíki and Jaron stood up to gather their teams. Philian looked at his sister and when their eyes met, he nodded and got up to gather with her and whoever would be brave enough to join them. Unmapped territory, especially when it came to the icy caverns, was treacherous and many men and women of inquiry avoid expeditions to these areas.

Every now and then, reports would come in of unseen creatures dwelling in such areas, even more dangerous creatures than sabre-toothed lions. Of course many of these reports were faked in order for the authors to appear even more heroic or to embellish the cause of death of a comrade who might have just fallen down a ravine or drowned in the icy waters. But some of them indeed were true and who does not fear by now the mighty talons of a fully-grown ice devil, a creature so vile and vicious a single one can scare away an entire herd of mammoths.

Nonetheless, there were five members of the guild willing to join Kyra’s cause and four of them have been mentioned before. Taras and Silias as well as Mathias and Lysann had gathered around her and much to Philian’s surprise Nessi too expressed her eagerness to come with them. Now Philian knew that despite her small stature and lack in combat-ability, Nessi was not to be underestimated. What she lacked in agility and bravery, she compensated with a mind sharper than a penguins beak. Her eidetic memory allowed her to navigate through the tundra as if it was her backyard, a quality of hers that had saved countless lives over the past decade. But usually she would stay clear of the caverns as her rather clumsy movement proved to be of major disadvantage when it came to climbing down frozen waterfalls or manoeuver through the slippery tunnels that connect the various caves. Philian liked her and he suspected the feeling to be mutual, maybe even a bit stronger from her side.

»Are you sure you’re up to the challenge starshine?« Silias asked with honest concern in his voice. Nessi was often referred to as starshine for her navigational qualities. »You know these caves are tricky and you’re most valuable on the surface«.

»The unmapped territory you speak of is far beyond our usual commuting area. The advantages of having me with you will outweigh the disadvantages by a long shot and you know it. Thank you for your concern but I, as all of you, need to grow with my tasks and challenges. I will come with you.« Nessi answered and no one dared to oppose her.

»Alright then it is settled. The seven of us will take this assignment and I will take the role of the team-leader. If anyone has a problem with that they can whine about it in private. You have an hour to get ready, it’s still morning and I’d like to put our time to good use. We can make it to the icy peaks today and reach the unmapped territory by nightfall the day after tomorrow. Make haste!« Kyra said and without another word she headed out of the guildhall to gather her equipment. Philian sighed; he respected her firm leadership but had to admit that she could appear quite imperious.

Philian couldn’t help but feel a bit nervous going on this expedition. It was his twentieth but something about it felt different, odd. Surely it was only the thrill of a mission in unmapped territory…

 

End Notes:

_____________________________

 

Chapter Two: Unmapped Territory by ItsUli

Each and every one in the group was trained and experienced enough to survive in the tundra and yet these expeditions would always bring them to their limits. It wasn’t so much the low temperatures; the northern folk were used to them, but the rough terrain that made travelling tedious and exhausting in both physical and mental ways. Nevertheless they were ahead of schedule and had left the icy peaks behind them earlier that day. So far they had not encountered any predators, but Kyra was well aware that chances were that sooner rather than later, they certainly would. She was walking in front of the others, leading the way with Nessi right behind her. Kyra was impressed with how well she handled the conditions. It had been more than a year since their last mission together and back then, Nessi used to complain a lot and often times fall behind the squad. On this expedition however, Nessi proved to be as stern and persistent as the rest of them. As the sun was setting, they were about to enter unmapped territory and snowfall began to set in. Every man and woman of inquiry knew what perils the snowfall could bring. Not only would it handicap their vision, thereby allowing predators more adapted to the conditions to sneak up on them, but it could also turn into a blizzard and majorly restrict their movement. If caught by a blizzard in the open, chances were they’d freeze to death before they could even build a camp.

»We need to get off the ice and find some shelter. I believe I’ve seen some rock formations a couple of miles westwards«, Nessi said and pointed in the direction of a few vague shadows in the distance, barely visible in the snowfall. The others agreed and at a higher pace they marched on westwards. No word was spoken among them as they tried to fight their exhaustion. Wind was rising up and the snowfall became denser. Kyra was aware they wouldn’t make it to the rock formation in time before the blizzard would take away their sight entirely. Every step they took became harder than the last and the wind seemed more than indecisive about its blowing angle. Philian’s face started to feel numb and his arms and legs began to hurt severely. Giving up was not an option for a man of inquiry, yet hope began to fade away. He couldn’t make out the shapes of Nessi and his sister anymore who were supposed to be walking in front of him. Slowly he started to panic, had he lost his way? Turning around, he looked for the other four who had been close behind him moments ago but he didn’t spot any of them. »Oy! Where are you guys?« He yelled yet seemingly to no avail. The sound of the wind blowing was too loud. Philian’s mind was racing as the risk of walking into the wrong direction was high, but to stay where he was would mean certain death.

There once was a light in the sky

Beautiful but alone

Never knew that it shone

And lighted many a way

Nessi’s beautiful voice pierced through the noise, her song, like a lighthouse, guiding lost ships safely back to shore. It took but a short time for Philian to figure out where it came from and with new found spirit he pressed forward, almost running into the rock formation behind which his mates had found shelter. On the other side he found the cove where the others were already preparing a camp. It offered protection from the wind and only little snow made its way into it.

»You truly are a guiding star Nessi!« Philian exclaimed, approached and hugged her. All of their faces were pretty much frozen so no one could see her blush slightly. Everyone had made it and within minutes the camp was operational. They would ride out the blizzard and thanks to the amazing property of mammoth wool, to never be too wet to be lighted, even managed to build a small fire. Bringing dry sticks, mammoth wool and flints on an expedition into the tundra was mandatory if you planned on surviving.

As they waited for the snowfall to fade, something in the stone-surface of the cove seemed to have caught Kyra’s attention. Philian followed her gaze and too noticed something odd. »That looks like a map carved into the surface don’t you think?« he said as he examined the lines that were far too symmetrical and straight to be the result of common erosion. Furthermore there seemed to be symbols, barely recognizable, carved in next to certain features. »It appears that this circle here marks the location we’re at… Look down here someone carved the symbol for mountain. I bet that’s supposed to mark the icy peaks to the south. And up here, the symbol for caves, that’s where we were headed before the blizzard hit.« Nessi now stated as she carefully examined it.

»So the caverns are not too far from here in the north-east? Maybe half a day’s journey?« Silias joined in on the conversation. Nessi pointed at a strange symbol to the left. »I can’t quite make out what this is supposed to mean. To the north-west of here, whoever carved this marked something else. It resembles the symbol for a significant finding. But could also just be a warning to stay away from there. Maybe a lion’s lair?« Nessi speculated. »Only one way to find out…«, Taras joked but was dumbfounded when Kyra nodded in agreement.

»Do you remember who was last to explore the areas in this territory?« Kyra said and turned to Philian. »Uncle Andras… He never returned«, he whispered. Andras had been like a father to them ever since their mother and father died when they were little. Six years ago, when Philian and Kyra had come of age, Andras, after a long time, went on his first expedition and headed for this territory and never came back. After another year his wife, Aunt Helena, went looking for him but she too vanished. Kyra was the first to lead an expedition into this territory after five years. Now Philian began to suspect that his sister did have ulterior motives about this mission from the very start. »The seven us are among the most skilled men and women of inquiry. Now we have the opportunity to shed some light onto the mystery that is Andra’s and Helena’s disappearance and hopefully find great treasures in the process«, Kyra argued. Philian knew there was no point in trying to convince her otherwise and so did the others. »Snowfall is fading, let’s give it another hour and be on our way then« Silias stated and winked at Kyra who smirked back at him. »Oh get a room already…« Nessi said in a pretend annoyed fashion.

Neither Taras nor Lysann or Mathias seemed very happy with the course their expedition had taken but they complied and started to prepare for departure. Philian sat quietly leaned against the wall of stone and thought about the family he and his sister used to have. His Memories of their parents were fuzzy but Uncle Andras and Aunt Helen had taken good care of them. From her he had learned how to use bow and crossbow, how to mix inflammable liquids in order to craft small portable bombs and flaming arrows. Andras had taught him the Arts of navigation and gathering as well as hand-to-hand combat. In many ways the two of them had made him the man of inquiry he was today. Her talent for leadership, Kyra had inherited from her mother as uncle Andras used to say but it went to fruition with the guidance of Aunt Helen. Nessi seated herself close to him and put an arm around his shoulder.

»I believe that the two of you are not haunted by the ghosts of your past but rather by the treacherous grasp of uncertainty.« She said in a low but soothing inflexion.

»I’m not haunted you know… I’m mostly worried about my sister. Closure could do her good but who knows what we might find or not find if we go through with this. Andras and Helena were fighters, extraordinary ones for that matter, not even Kyra can live up to their talent. Maybe they’ve both died in a blizzard, we find their corpses preserved in the ice, but maybe they’ve fallen victim to something else, something worse. We’re taking an unnecessary risk Nessi you know that…« Philian explained his thoughts.

She gently stroked his shoulder with her hand and then gave him a kiss on his cheek. »Men and women of inquiry are supposed to take risks for the sake of their families, friends, clans, or… loved ones« she said, only whispering the last part. Nessi got up and walked away to help Lysann and Mathias taking down the encampment. Philian sat there for a while, thinking about what had just happened and how he was supposed to feel about it. He watched Nessi, a small but nevertheless very pretty gal. She didn’t possess the kind of beauty his sister had inherited from their mother, was a bit more chubby and more rough around the edges but unique in a very compelling way. It was her character, her way with people and her situational wisdom that had made him often wonder, whether she and he would make a good match. She had given him signs before that she was interested but she also knew that he had a special bond with his sister and that she’d always be a priority to him.

»Stop staring into the void brother o’ mine! help out so we can get going« His sister yelled after a while and reluctantly he got up to pack up his things. He pulled out the dagger, forged from southern steel, he inherited from his father. He had polished it every day ever since he had gotten it and the reflection of the sun, no more shrouded by clouds of storm, warmed his face.

 

Chapter Three: The Flight by ItsUli

The group of seven now headed north-west from the rock formation that had provided shelter from the storm. Nessi had brought pen and ink to map the areas, so every now and then they had to pause, so she could draw makeshift maps and write notes about their travel. Since the blizzard had passed, the sky was clear and the sun kept up their spirits. The scenery was beautiful and Philian noticed that Nessi also made some elaborate sketches of their environment. Lysann and Mathias held hands, making it seem like they were on a romantic stroll along the fjords back home.

Silias was walking side by side with Kyra trying to silently express his affection towards her by establishing minor physical contact every once in a while. But Kyra didn’t prove very responsive to his advances. She was lost in thoughts about her family’s fate. Soon they left the frozen sea and mountains became visible in the far. Some tales told of the mighty cordillera, the God’s Retreat at the end of the world. It was common belief that from the peaks of these Mountains, the gods of old watched over all the lands. Of course people knew that the world didn’t end behind these mountains. Most believed that if you kept walking north, eventually you’d arrive in the southern lands, but even most men and women of inquiry had never even gotten the privilege to see the mountain range from afar. It was a beautiful sight, no doubt. Philian wondered where one would end up if walking westwards, never stopping, and never changing directions.

Stories told of a great sea in the west, not a frozen one like the one in the north, that separated this land from another, entirely unmapped continent. Philian loved ships, well the abstract concept of them at least. He had never seen a real ship, only the small fisher boats they used in the north and some drawings from southern painters, which had found their ways up here.

»Hey Nessi? Do you think that one day you’ll see the ocean in the west, maybe even cross it?« He asked and perceptibly startled her with his question as she had been concentrating on a sketch that now seemed to be ruined. »You can’t sneak up on me like that you imbecile« she exclaimed and Philian reflexively backed off little. »Apo…Apologies«, he stammered and was relieved as her frown turned upside down. »It’s alright you just startled me… that’s all. Regarding your question… I’m pretty sure I will one day, both see and cross that ocean. What about you?« She said in a forgiving manner. »I’m not sure if I’ll get the opportunity to but I like to believe I will too…« He answered truthfully. She looked up from her sketchbook and smiled at him. »You know, once we’re back home, why don’t we make plans tog…« She began but was interrupted by a familiar and menacing sound.

»Incoming!« Kyra shouted and pointed towards fast-moving shapes to their east. Philian took his bow, an arrow from his quiver and aimed at the shapes closest to them. They were sabre-toothed lions, at least four of them and quite large ones too. Nessi withdrew to the back, as she knew that she was the weakest link but still she pulled out a set of throwing knives and took position. Kyra had already shot three arrows before the rest of the group had so much as pulled out their weapons. Sabre-tooth lions could reach a height of almost eight feet and a weight of more than four-hundred pounds and yet they were as fast and agile as the wolves of the north. Even a well-aimed arrow wouldn’t stop a beast like that.

»We should retreat westwards to elevated grounds. I believe there are more coves or even caves, that are easier to defend!« Mathias yelled. Mathias has always had a good intuition on how to use ones environment in case of combat. But it was too late, the Lion’s would get to them faster than the group could ever reach the higher ground. They took every shot they could and then pulled out their melee weapons and prepared for the attack. None of the lions had fallen so far but for some reason, they seemed to slightly change their direction.

Philian watched in confusion as the Lions ran straight past them, only a couple of yards separating them from what they should have realised was relatively easy prey. It didn’t take long for him to realise what was going on and when another noise became audible on the wind, Philian’s suspicion was confirmed. He had never heard this sound himself, but it was described by the few who survived an encounter with its source as a terrible squeal that would shake you up to your very core. Philian turned pale…

»Run!« He screamed and without paying any more attention to the lions which were just as afraid as them, the others turned westwards and ran. Seemingly out of nowhere a huge shadow manifested behind them, a creature emerged, scaled in ice, walking on two acanthaceous legs that supported the weight of its massive body and with a reptilian head that resembled an alligator. Its sudden appearance caused the ground to shake. It was easily more than fifteen-feet in height and the hands on its four giant arms had long menacing claws.

A fully grown ice-devil from the old ages; not many of them were left, as to survive they required an amount of food, the tundra could barely provide. Its eyes were of a glowing piercing blue and while these creatures were believed to be sentient and comparatively clever, they were predators after all and predators of this kind always choose their prey wisely. As it considered whom to chase, the group of explorers managed to get a head start and ran towards the higher ground hoping to find some sort of hiding place. The earth continued trembling when the ancient creature began its hunt and none of the men and women of inquiry so much as dared to even look back. It was said that one look into the monsters eye would turn you into solid ice and while still conscious you’d be devoured by the beast and die an everlasting and painful death in its icy belly. Kyra was the first to climb the elevated ground and spot what seemed to be the entrance to a cave. She signalled the others with a hand sign to follow her as she ran towards it.

Another squeal from the creature behind them filled them with terror as the rest of the group caught up to her. The shrieking noise was followed by the roar of a lion that was dying in agony as the ice-devil had reached its prey of choice. Philian was visibly relieved but danger had not yet passed. It was not a cave deep enough to keep them safe but there was a crevice in the earth that seemed to lead underground. Philian could see the discomfort in Nessi’s face but there was but one choice to make and time was of the essence.

Without any further ado Kyra climbed down and kept leading the way. The others followed hastily and soon all seven of them found themselves underground. There was but the little bit of light that came through the crevice and in the distance they could hear the devil’s feast. Still worried that the beast might somehow be able to get to them, they crawled deeper until they reached the opening to a massive hollow approximately more than forty feet beneath the surface. »I think I found access to a cavern. Maybe it’s connected to the northern system and allows us to avoid that foul beast.« Mathias whispered his voice however low it was, echoing in the dark.

The others murmured words of approval and together they descended down into the cavern. A five-foot drop concluded their efforts and finally they could stand upright again. Even Nessi managed the fall quite elegantly and immediately began searching what she had left of her equipment after the flight for material to build a makeshift torch. Fortunately she still had everything required and after a short while the comforting flames of a torch lighted their surroundings. The cavern’s ceiling was high above them and multiple tunnels led different ways. Taras turned around; inspecting their environment and stumbling backwards couldn’t suppress a scream as he laid eyes on something unseen and unheard of to his people. »What is it Taras?« Kyra exclaimed and looked at where he was pointing. They all backed off a little as they saw what was frozen, yet perfectly preserved in a wall of ice on the other end of the cavern.

»What in the name of the elder gods is this?« Lysann whispered.

 

Chapter Four: Andvaka by ItsUli

Not far away from them, frozen in a massive block of ice, was what appeared to be a half-naked female. It wasn’t the first time seeing a frozen and well-preserved body for any of them; it was something else that constituted the disturbing character of this finding. The woman in the ice was quite a bit larger than average; to be precise, she was more than twice as tall as Mathias who, standing at 6 foot five was the tallest of their group. »I’ve never seen a woman this tall… I mean do you see her… breasts?« Taras exclaimed after the first shock had passed and approached the ice. Standing right in front of it, his head wasn’t even on the level of her waist, her legs almost as broad as his shoulders. »I bet these are the first breasts you see since you were suckled at your mothers tits« Silias taunted.

Philian chuckled half-heartedly but still hesitated to come near the ice. »Careful now boys, keep your jokes to yourselves and come back. We should get the hell out of here. I doubt that this creature is human even if it looks like that. I’ve never heard of any human being growing more than seven feet tall. There might be others around somewhere and I’d rather not run into them.« Lysann stated obviously worried. »Look at her, of course it is a human being… what else could she possibly be. Besides, if we go back the way we came, we’ll all be devoured alive by that devil«, Silias responded. While the others began to discuss the pros and cons of continuing their expedition underground, Philian couldn’t keep his eyes of the giant creature in the ice. Its skin seemed not as pale as it should after being frozen underground for who knows how long, heck she had a stronger tan than he did. Her hair was of dark colour and seemed perfectly preserved. If she really was a human, she had to originate from the southern lands. Her eyes were big and brown. Wait her eyes were brown? Weren’t they shut only a few minutes ago? Philian’s heart was racing as he slowly turned to the others to check whether they had noticed anything. In the corner of his eye he noticed it. The woman’s eyes had moved…

»Look at her eyes, she’s alive! «, Taras, who too had seen it, exclaimed. The others gathered around the ice in a half circle and watched the woman’s eyes intently. Her eyes were indeed moving, taking glance after glance at every single one of the strangers that had found her. In the end her eyes rested on Taras and he could have sworn that she tried to implore him to help her. »We need to set her free, she’s trapped!« He exclaimed and began looking through his stuff to find a tool appropriate to the task at hand. »Are you mad lad? She could lift you up and break you into two pieces« Mathias yelled but Taras kept searching. »She’s a living being and obviously she must be in great pain… Awake while trapped in ice… what a nightmare« Lysann said.

Philian looked at Kyra, but she seemed clueless about what to do. Taras had found a chisel, picked up a stone from the ground and started to work the ice. Mathias backed off to the other end of the cavern and pulled out a knife. »If she attacks, I’d suspect her vital points to be the same as ours. Try to aim at her kidneys…«, he said and assumed close-quarter combat position. The others seemed rather unsure on how to act or prepare themselves for whatever was about to happen when Taras was done. Slowly but steadily he broke away the ice until with a loud crack the rest of it splintered and the whole block imploded.

As he raised his arm in front of his eyes to protect them from falling ice shards he didn’t realise, that the giantess he had set free now lacked the proper support, couldn’t stand on her own and fell towards him. The others shouted his name in unison but it was too late. Taras backed away a little bit but was buried underneath the top half of the giantess he had freed from her prison. »Ugh« the woman groaned as she tried to lift herself up but failed. Quickly the others came and tried to lift her off their friend and with combined strength they managed to roll her of Taras who had turned red for more than one reason but elsewise seemed to be okay. A few bruises on his arms and legs as well as some aching bones and muscles couldn’t keep him from enjoying the fact that his face had been buried beneath this giantess’ bosom. »She’s warm…« Kyra noted as she took her hands of the woman. »She was trapped in ice… how is she warm?« she mumbled more to herself.

»”She” is named Andvaka and she is warm because her body provides her with warmth as it always has« the huge woman spoke and while she didn’t yell, her words were mighty and echoed through the cavern and the connected tunnels

Kyra was more than surprised and while the others seemed yet more intimidated, her curiosity prevailed over her fear. »You speak in our tongue? Who are you?« she asked.

»I could ask you the very same questions. Only I believe I know the answers already.«, she replied and after taking a deep breath started another attempt to get up only this time she was successful. Now she towered over the group of explorers that stared at her in fear and awe as she looked in pity at the man she had nearly crushed. »I’m sorry for falling on top of you like that. I couldn’t do anything about it. Are you alright?« she asked and gently poked Taras legs with her enormous toes. »I’ve been worse« he replied »But I don’t think getting up is an option for the time being« Taras smiled in light agony and coughed a little.

»What do you mean, you know the answer? Do you intend to share your wisdom?« Kyra said in a manner more aggressive than was intended. The giant woman looked at her and raised an eyebrow. She hadn’t expected a girl that small talking to her like that.

»You might have noticed that while you certainly have a big mouth, in size you are like an infant to me… there is a reason for that as you might have suspected.« Andvaka stated and turned to Kyra. »I noticed…« she responded trying not to appear as intimidated as she was.

»It leaves us with two possibilities. Either you’re astoundingly intelligent new-borns of my species or, and that’s more likely, you’re specimen of the surface species that derived from us millennia ago« she explained. Kyra didn’t know what to say. What did she mean by derived? Andvaka sighed as she realised that her saviours had little to no idea what she was talking about. »Be that as it may, you are not supposed to be here and if it weren’t for the fact that you saved me from a terrible fate, I would probably dispose of you right away. I’d suggest you tend to your little friend here and then go back whence you came.« She said and turned to leave. »I’m sorry A…Andvaka but there is an ice-devil hunting on the surface. We can’t go back into its territory it’d be suicide.« Philian now said. The giantess stopped and looked at him. »It’s not only that… we have come here for another reason and I don’t think it is a coincidence that we found you. A couple of years ago our uncle and our aunt vanished in this area and a couple of miles to the south-east we found a map carved into stone with this place being marked. We have reason to believe that it was our uncle who carved it. We can’t just leave now… I need to find out what happened to him, what happened to both of them.«, Kyra argued.

Some time passed before Andvaka answered. »You saved my life, I spared yours. My debt to you has been paid so I won’t promise you safe passage but while I’d advise against it you may accompany me to my tribe and talk to my mothers and sisters about your concerns. Be warned though, they might not be too keen to see your kind down here«. Without bothering to ask for consent among the others Kyra nodded in agreement. Once again the giantess sighed. Then she picked up Taras from the ground with ease and went with him under her arm into one of the tunnels.

»What in the name of the mighty wolf Kyra?« Mathias exclaimed who still couldn’t believe what was happening. Kyra didn’t respond and simply followed the giantess.

 

End Notes:

________________________________

 

Those were the first 4 chapters. I hope you enjoyed them! The next chapter will be released sooner rather than later. 

Feel free to leave a comment ;) 

Chapter Five: Into the Lair by ItsUli

Andvaka was leading the way through what seemed to be a labyrinth of tunnels most of which seemed like they were laid out artificially. Their ceilings were high above even Andvaka’s head and their width allowed for free movement. At first no one spoke a word; most of the explorers were more than reluctant following the giant woman, but it seemed like there was no reasonable alternative. The ice-devil’s hunting grounds meant certain death to trespassers and as they’ve come to realise there were but little chances to find yet another way out of this labyrinth on their own. Yet Kyra’s determination to meet Andvaka’s tribe of supposedly equally large women just to gather information about her family struck them as odd, especially when taking into account Andvaka’s menacing words. Even for Philian, recent events had been tough to wrap his head around and he was both curious and anxious to find out where their journey would lead them.

»Are all members of your tribe… you know…« Taras who was still carried around by Andvaka asked shyly.

 »Are all specimen of your species this small?« She interrupted him, a hint of sarcasm in her voice, and tightened her grip on his body so that he would let out a little grunt. »But yes, the daughters of Rindr are blessed with great height. Unlike your kind, we are not bound by age and keep growing until the day Freyja opens to us the gates of Fólkvangr.« She continued, not noticing the disbelief in the faces of her travelling party. Understandably, knowing that the tribe they were seeking out for help not only wasn’t too fond of humans but also supposedly consisted of giant people, didn’t help much in calming the group of adventurers down. Mathias exchanged looks with his better half to see if she was as freaked out as he was.

»This is nuts… We can’t trust that monster or its tribe, it even told us so…«, he whispered and Lysann just nodded slightly.

»We are also blessed with great hearing, boy«, Andvaka stated but didn’t even bother to look at him. Mathias turned a little pale but quickly regained his composure as he became curious. While Andvaka was obviously huge, she still didn’t look much older than Lysann or Kyra. Her skin seemed smooth and there were no visible wrinkles. In addition to that, and he better didn’t tell Lysann that he noticed, her breasts were as firm as they were big. »In our society I’m considered a grown man. I’ve seen twenty-seven cycles. If I may ask, what age are you then?«, he asked. Now he had her attention and Andvaka stopped for a second to turn around and Mathias couldn’t help but take a quick glance at her bosom once again

»We don’t measure our age in cycles but I believe since my birth, more than a century has passed on the surface« She answered and enjoyed the surprise in his face.

»I guess this explains why you’re so… big… but how can you still look so young?« Mathias asked while still occasionally glancing at her breasts. This was the first time they saw Andvaka smile and while it seemed friendly, her mouth and teeth were making Mathias nervous. He couldn’t help but ask himself how much of him she could fit in there and devour in one bite. »I guess it takes longer for us to lose the outward-advantages of youth but thank you anyway. But it will surprise you to hear that I am amongst the youngest and therefor smallest of my tribe« Andvaka answered keeping her smile up and giving Mathias a wink before she turned to continue down the tunnel without another word. Mathias gulped, how much taller would these sisters and mothers of her be? Nevertheless, the more they actually interacted with her, the less menacing she appeared. Their journey through the tunnel-systems continued for quite a while and every now and then they would engage in conversation to find out more about their destination and the potential risks of meeting her tribe. Andvaka wasn’t particularly chatty and would not reveal much; instead she’d often just smirk or chuckle when one of them asked another nervous question. »I can’t and won’t guarantee for your safety so you better treat my family with respect, be polite and hope for the best. It’s been a while since the last human found its way down here«, She said at one point and immediately got Kyra’s attention.

»Do you know anything about my uncle or aunt? Have they come down here?«, she asked. Andvaka stopped shortly and looked at her in mysterious fashion.

 »Maybe you’ll have the opportunity to ask Brussa about it. She usually handles affairs involving strangers.« She answered and pressed on. »Come now, we’re almost there!« The journey went on for a little while longer and the tunnels seemed to grow even larger in both height and width with every turn they’d take. In the dim light, Nessi’s torch emitted it had become impossible to see the ceiling but a gate had become visible at the end of the tunnel. A gate bigger than any man made structure any of the explorers had ever seen. Taller than the tallest building in the north, wider than the river Acheron and made of white wood that reflected the torch’s light. When they stood in front of it, all but Andvaka were gazing at it in awe. It had beautiful ornaments carved into its surface, ancient runes and even some pictures that told of stories unheard of in the north. The giantess put down Taras whom she had carried along and who seemed to be able to walk by himself again now.

»A dottir of Rindr has returned and seeks shelter among her mothers and sisters, open the gate for Andvaka! « The giantess’ booming voice echoed through the tunnels and not long after, with loud noise the massive wooden wings of the gate slowly opened. And behind them, there was a truly vast cavern. The term vast doesn’t even begin to describe the sheer scale of the hollow the group of adventurers and the giantess were about to set foot in. Philian’s eyes and mouth were opened wide as he gazed upon the beauty of Halheimr, the Lair deep below for the first time. Beacons, huge bonfires, lighted the underground city that was built into the cave. There were Mansions of stone and wood, each tall enough to provide shelter to beings much larger than Andvaka and amidst them there was a great hall right in the centre of the lair. A wide River separated the group from the city and an even greater bridge was leading across it. But blocking the view, was a giantess much like Andvaka but many a head taller and armoured in leather. Her skin colour was of ebony and her eyes were glowing red as she saw who was entering through the gateway.

 »Thou gavest me one name, Andvaka. Yet thou bringest forth seven faces unknown to these realms and without doubt unworthy. Wishest thou that I calleth upon the hound or disposeth of them myself«, the ebony giantess spoke and menacingly took a few steps towards Philian who was walking closest to Andvaka.

» I greet you Modgudr, sister of mine. I don’t owe these mortals and yet I’d wish for them to speak to our lady before any harm shall befall them. They won’t give you their names for they don’t belong here but their intentions are good«. Andvaka greeted her. Modgudr seemed far from pleased with this appeal and for a second there it seemed like she would ignore Andvaka and just crush Philian who was still dangerously close to her. He looked into her fierce red eyes in fear as she towered over him at almost twenty feet. Her legs were like logs covered in leather, her feet, clad in enormous boots, were large enough to turn a normal sized-human into paste with one stomp. In her right hand she wielded a massive spear and in the other a shield that seemed to be made of bones.

»Halja will not be pleased but you may pass« she pressed out and gave the bridge free. Only now the group would get the full view of Halheimr and as they crossed the bridge, the great hall in the centre of the city caught their eyes the most.

It seemed like a place where gods could live and walking down the countless stairs from the hall to the plaza there was a goddess. While Andvaka lead the way, the rest were speechless by the sight of not only the place but the deity that was approaching. Andvaka was dwarfed by her even from the distance; her hair was of ghostly white colour, her ivory skin glowing in the light of the beacons. Each step of her could be felt by the small humans who watched her in awe. Mathias and Taras instinctively kneeled down as she arrived. She was clothed in a white silken robe that covered most of her more private parts but still didn’t leave too much for imagination.

»Halja, Lady of Old and Mother of Mine«, Andvaka spoke to her and bowed slightly. Now the others of the group followed Mathias’ and Taras’ example and kneeled down in front of the goddess whose feet alone, now only a couple yards away, were as big as small buildings.

»Long have you been gone Andvaka, Daughter of mine. Long have I awaited your return from the outskirts of our realm and now the time has come. But what plague have you brought with you into our holy lair?« Halja answered and looked down at the kneeling humans to her feet. Her eyes were of an icy blue and pierced right through Philian as he arose to speak on the groups behalf. Too afraid was he, that Kyra’s stubbornness and pride would get them into trouble.

»My name is Phil…« He started but was interrupted abruptly when Halja pushed him over with her left foot and then rested one of her toes on his body. Philian hadn’t seen it coming and before he knew it, was buried beneath a toe almost as large as him. Its skin was smooth and while his predicament certainly was humiliating and uncalled for, it didn’t hurt much as the deity was not putting any weight on him yet.

 »You will speak when you’re told to speak« Halja said and lifted her foot of him. Philian took a deep breath and crawled backwards.

»Forgive them mother, and forgive me for bringing them here. They were forced into the tunnels by a demon of old wreaking havoc on the surface. Fate had it, that they would find me, trapped in ice and unable to free myself. In their decency they destroyed the prison that would have held me for ages to come and decided to follow me here to ask you for council.« Andvaka said on their behalf and the fierce expression on Halja’s face became more gentle and warm.

»Old Blákaldur is still on the hunt I see… You made a decision in order to keep your friends safe but you also seek knowledge…« Halja said as she turned to Kyra who was still recovering from what she had just witnessed happening to her brother. Being unsure about how Halja could have possibly known that, she just nodded.

»Oh it is okay for you to speak, but your brother and the other men you’ve brought have no voice here.« Halja stated. Kyra looked at her brother and thought about what to say.

»Lady of Old, Halja if I may… You must apologise our rude intrusion. This place and its inhabitants have been unknown to us and it is a lot to process. We came into the tundra to gather information and find supplies for the villages in the north. These men and women are my responsibility and it was but my decision to follow your daughter here. I ask of you to spare them and if you don’t want us here we will leave at once and we shall never disturb your peace again.« Kyra spoke. Philian was surprised and impressed with his sister. Halja smiled and seemed to think about it for a while until she reached a conclusion. »I fear it is not that simple, child. Never have seven of your kind at a time made their way to Halheimr. But on the surface there awaits certain death for it is Blákaldur’s realm and I can’t send you right into his icy claws with a clear conscience.« Halja spoke.

»That is most generous of you. Might I dare ask, is there another way through the tunnels that would lead to the surface outside of the ice-devils hunting grounds?« Kyra asked in a careful manner. Halja smiled and got down to her knees to bring her face closer to the small human.

»You have a way with words and your way of conducting yourself in the presence of a being that must truly scare you is wise and impeccable. So I will be honest with you. Your kind is not supposed to be here or even know of this place let alone of the daughters of Rindr. Usually if someone of your kind loses their way and end up here they meet an unfortunate fate so to speak, especially if unlike you and your sisters here, they resemble our fathers of old.« Halja explained.

»You mean males?« Kyra asked.

»Yes, the descendants of the one-eyed… Now it’s been many years since the last of your kind has come to the gates of Halheimr and few have lived to even talk to me. Many fell victim to the hound or were ripped to pieces by my daughter Modgudr« Philian shuddered at the thought of having that ebony giantess rip him apart. »But you behaved well and gave me reason to believe that your intentions are good. For now I can’t make any promises but I will provide you with shelter and nourishment so you may recover from your perilous journey while I will take council with my sisters and hopefully reach a decision regarding you and your friends’ fate.« Halja stated and arose. Andvaka gave Kyra a look that seemed to say: Well done; good for you and then offered to take them to a place where they could recover. Halja agreed, gave Kyra a last smile before she turned around to make her way back to her halls. While the others arose, Mathias stayed on his knees as he watched her leave. She was as huge as the tallest tree he had ever seen in the north and he tried to imagine the man it would take to please a goddess like that. Lysann noticed that he was staring at Halja’s vast behind that swung in a hypnotizing fashion from left to right with every step the giantess was taking, and hit him hard on his shoulders. »Stop it you pervert, you better be thankful that she didn’t take note of your glaring and that Kyra managed this delicate situation so well« Lysann whispered into his ear. They could hear Andvaka chuckle in a concealed fashion, before she signalled the group to follow her.

 

Chapter Six: The Council of Halja by ItsUli

As they walked the wide alleys leading the way through the enormous city, the group gazed around at the surrounding buildings, varying in size, but each and every single one of them larger than the greatest halls they had seen in the north. Every now and then Andvaka would make a short remark, explaining what they were looking at and give but a little bit of information on the history of this truly magnificent place. Nessi did her best to draw some sketches of the most flamboyant structures while walking. To her it felt like she and her companions were miniatures, little figurines on the playground of beings much more significant. She looked at Philian who was walking next to his sister and seemed overwhelmed with the situation. She caught up and gently pulled his shoulder from behind. Philian startled a little bit and let himself fall back to walk with Nessi, who, in a comforting fashion, took his hand into her own. Kyra didn’t even notice as she was obviously preoccupied with different things. »It’s going to be alright… I know all this is a bit much for you… well for every one of us and I know you’re worried about your sister and about the rest of us too but we’re in this together and I won’t have you or Kyra bear the responsibility for whatever our fate might be alone«, she said and gently stroked the back of his hand with her fingers. Philian looked at her and couldn’t deny the comfort provided by her warm smile, her cute laughter lines along her cheeks and most importantly her blue eyes, with that slight touch of yellow, which always reminded him of the sun reflecting in the fjords in the southern outskirts of their realm. He tightened his grip around her hand a little bit and returned the smile. »Thank you…«, he whispered. Lysann and Mathias, who were walking behind them, chuckled as they watched the two walking after Andvaka and Kyra hand in hand.

It was obvious that Andvaka had to really pay attention to keep a pace, the significantly smaller humans could easily keep up with and she was trying her best and but in the end she had created quite some distance between herself and the group. Eventually she halted in front of an enormous yet lovely building. It seemed to have two stories, each of them easily more than fifteen feet in height. Its wooden walls resembled Birchwood and its entrance was large enough, even for Andvaka to pass through. »This is where you will stay and rest until the lady has come to a conclusion. It used to be an Inn back in the old days, now we rarely make use of it anymore but I’m sure it will suffice«, Andvaka said as she opened the massive doors and lead the way inside. The interior of the ground-floor indeed resembled the taverns back home, furniture was provided at different sizes yet most of it was still way too big for normal-sized human beings. Andvaka now pointed at the stairs leading up into the first floor. »Upstairs you will find different rooms. You can choose your rooms and move freely in this house but I expect you to stay inside until you receive news from the lady. If you feel the need for fresh air, you can access the garden through the door behind the counter. I will come back when the night has passed to see after your needs and to bring nourishment«.

»Should we be worried?«, Taras yelled after her blatantly and yet sounding a bit insecure. Andvaka looked over her shoulder and smiled. »Not yet…« she replied and walked away without further explanation.

Silias walked up to the stairs, their first step already reaching up to his knees. »This will be quite the climb«, he stated and looked at Taras. »You’ll probably need some help«. Together they climbed up the seemingly endless stairs and helped Taras who indeed wasn’t in any condition for this sort of physical strain. The upper floor consisted of a corridor with eight rooms, four on each side, and each of them featured furniture of a different size. One after another they checked the rooms and found but two that seemed to be fit for someone of Andvaka’s size or slightly smaller. Large carpets made from mammoth-wool covered wide areas of the room, pelts from sabre-toothed lions could be used as blankets and even though there was no fireplace lit anywhere in this house, it was pleasantly warm. It was when the group of seven had settled in, that they realised how tired and exhausted they really were after the strains of the past days. One after another they fell asleep except Kyra and Philian who didn’t allow themselves to rest just yet. The two of them sat together in a corner of the room, watching the others sleep. »I wonder if Andras or Helen did find their way here…« Kyra said, her eyes wandering up to the windows through which they could see some of the taller buildings around the Inn.

»I’m still not really sure if all this is real or just a dream. But in any case, our first priority should be the safety of our mates. Just like Andras and Helen, they too are a part of our family.« Philian said and put a hand on his sister’s shoulder, for the first time on this mission she seemed vulnerable. »I know… « She whispered and rested her head against her brother’s chest who embraced her in a hug. Philian new she was conflicted and that it tore her apart on the inside but rare were the moments where she’d let it affect her composure and show it to the ones around her. »You’re a great leader Kyra, you have nothing to prove to me and you know that, but in the end you’re only human like the rest of us. We will take on together whatever challenges are to come. Not only you and me but the others too, we’re a team don’t forget that!« he said with Nessi’s words in mind, trying to comfort her. With that being said, Philian noticed that his sister had fallen asleep. His eyes wandered around the room and he startled when they met Nessi’s. She was looking at him and Kyra and smiled. For a moment he felt tempted to carry his sister to the carpets and then snuggle up to Nessi, but he wouldn’t want to wake Kyra up. Instead he just returned the smile and tried to find some sleep in his sister’s embrace.

The next morning, Kyra woke up, his brother’s arms still holding her, due to sunlight shining through the windows of their room. It took her a while to realise why that seemed to confuse her. How could there be sunlight in a lair this deep underground? Carefully she got up, trying not to wake her brother up and climbed up a table to get a better view out of the window. She could see the cave ceiling far above even the greatest building in the lair and through minor crevices in the earth, rays of sunshine bathed the impressive city in warm light.

»Beautiful isn’t it? It lasts no longer than an hour each day before the sun reaches its zenith.« Kyra heard Andvaka say. The giantess stood in the doorway and smiled at the remarkable view from the windows. In her hands she carried a large wooden tray filled with food and beverages. Kyra turned around and couldn’t help but stare at the mountain of food in Andvaka’s hands. Quickly the scents of well-prepared meat, freshly baked bread and of other delicacies unknown to her filled the room. Andvaka walked in and set the tray down onto the carpet before gently poking the sleeping Taras with her foot. »I hope you have rested well« she said as Taras and the others slowly began waking up. »Yes thank you for your hospitality, it certainly was a most welcome diversion from the makeshift camps out in the tundra« Kyra answered truthfully and watched in amusement when Taras opened his eyes to see a pair of enormous feet right in front of him. His gaze wandered upwards, halted for a second somewhere in the general chest area of the giantess, before going all the way up to meet Andvaka’s eyes. »Good …morning« he stuttered and turned to her feet again, seemingly a bit worried about offending her. Andvaka smiled and poked his head with her big toe, which was roughly the size of his hands. »Seems I’ve made quite an impression on you yesterday. No need to worry so much about me, it’s my Lady you will need to make a good impression on.« she said and walked up to Kyra. »I suppose you have news regarding what Lady Halja spoke of yesterday?« Kyra asked in anticipation.

»Indeed…all seven of you are invited to an audience in the great hall later this day. You should know that not all of my mothers and sisters share my rather tolerant view on the male specimen of your race. I suggest you prepare your subjects well for this audience, misbehaviour of any kind could counteract your goals and jeopardise your current state of safety here« Andvaka explained. Silias wanted to object to being called a subject of Kyra but sensed that his opinion on this matter was of little value here. Kyra just nodded, the experiences from the past days had shown, that men did not seem particularly welcome here and if they wanted to make the best of this situation it would seem advisable to just comply with their hosts. »Enjoy the meal, I really hope it will be to your satisfaction. I will return later to escort you to the hall«. With that Andvaka left again but not without giving Taras a playful wink. The others just looked at him as the giantess was walking out of the room but Silias had to speak out loud what everyone else was thinking. »Seems like you made quite an impression on her too«, he said and laughed.

Enough had been said for this morning and the group of adventurers couldn’t wait to engulf in the countless delicacies Andvaka had brought. They would feast for nearly an hour, rejoice and forget about their worries, before finally and with filled stomachs, calm down and put their minds to the task at hand.

»So how do we go about the situation?« Mathias asked in a blunt fashion, putting his jug back onto the tray. »I thought about it and came to the conclusion that maybe it would be best if only Lysann, Nessi and I would attend the audience. Given the hostility towards men prevalent here.« Kyra replied.

Lysann and Nessi nodded in agreement but the others didn’t seem so content.
»Yeah no… sorry Kyra but I for my part will certainly come with you and I’d prefer if we’d all go. And if it means that us men will need to be quiet while you talk then so be it…« Philian said and looked at Silias, Taras and Mathias who seemed to share his view on the matter.

»After all it’s important to show them that even we respect their culture and that we’re willing to play after their rules« Silias added. Kyra sighed but he certainly had a point. »We should rather discuss what it is you want to ask of them« Taras now said and looked at Kyra. He too knew how important information on their family’s fate was to Kyra and her brother. »Our first priority should be Information on how to reach the northern cave system while avoiding the ice-devils hunting grounds. Maybe they have some kind of map I could copy.« Nessi stated. While she nodded, Kyra did not seem completely in agreement with this proposal. »This would imply that we try to simply leave this place and go on with our mission… I’m not sure if that would be the most adequate approach in this situation.« she replied.

»I agree, we should minimise the risk of not returning back home. Our findings are of too much importance and we need to let the Elders know… I say we gather as much information about this place as we can, maybe ask for some supplies for our villages and safe passage through the cave-system and make our way south-wards.« Silias proposed.

»I doubt that this would be to our hosts liking… if they find out that we intend to share their secret with the public…, I wouldn’t want to find out what they’ll do to us to be honest…« Lysann answered.

»They are not as foolish as to expect that we will keep their secret for all eternity… and if they were as worried about it as you imply they surely would have gotten rid of us already« Silias replied being mildly irritated.

Philian sighed and made a gesture as to tell everyone to calm down. »Now that is where we’re jumping to half-cooked presumptions and conclusions… We don’t even know yet what their intentions regarding us are yet, but it certainly will be a matter of discourse and negotiation and we need to be prepared to meet their conditions if it means that we’ll stay on their good side…« he said in a conciliating manner.

»Precisely… and they have the upper hand, so I think it would be wise to get to know more about their expectations before making “demands”. And then, if circumstances allow it, I would ask for safe-passage southwards and maybe some supplies.« Kyra said.

Silias looked at her with worry that had now replaced his irritation. »What about your aunt and uncle?« he asked.

»While you all know that I’d want to find out as much about what happened to them as possible, it is not our first priority…«she replied and looked at Philian who had comforted her so heart-warmingly yesterday. Everyone knew that this was a tough call for her, so no one was willing to keep an argument going. »So it’s settled… we boys keep in the background and let Kyra do the talking and then we shall see how things will develop from there on out« Silias concluded and everyone agreed.

Many hours passed until Andvaka would eventually return and they mostly just sat around waiting in anticipation or engaging in nervous small talk. When the time had come, they silently got up and followed the equally silent giantess who, once again, would lead them through the city. While yesterday the alleys had been empty, today the astounded humans could lay eyes on an impressive number of giantesses of varying sizes walking the streets of the lair, many of them apparently on their way to the great hall. While most of the companions found the sight more worrisome than appealing, Taras couldn’t help but gaze at the beauty of many of these beings. Mathias probably would have enjoyed the sight as well if he hadn’t been aware of Lysann watching him closely. The group remained mostly silent as they made their way to the great hall, but Nessi, who had noticed Philian being visibly tense, once again grabbed his hand and walked side by side with him.

After a while they had reached the familiar spot close to the bridge guarded by Modgudr. Said giantess would now approach them, causing Philian to back away instinctively.

»I greet you Andvaka, sister of mine. I have come to escort the intruders into the hall« Modgudr spoke with her booming voice. It was quite a bit deeper than Andvaka’s but it did not seem to directly correlate with her size as Halja, who had been by far the largest giantess they had seen here, indeed had a higher pitched voice than even Andvaka who now paid her respect to her older sister with a slight bow.

 »I take it our mother is awaiting our… guests?« she asked emphasizing the last part as she didn’t take too kindly towards Modgudr’s hostility. The ebony giantess just nodded and signalled the group to follow her as she turned towards their destination. While for Modgudr and Andvaka, the ascent to the hall, located on a rocky plateau in the middle of the lair, seemed to require no effort, the comparatively tiny humans and especially Taras quickly became visibly exhausted. Philian might have burst out in laughter when he saw the expression on his friend’s face as they approached a seemingly endless array of stairs leading up to the entrance portal, if he hadn’t been uncertain of his ability to make it up there either. Andvaka chuckled at the despair in Taras’ face and without further ado lifted him up and began carrying him on her shoulder.

 »See you at the top« Taras yelled and saluted as he enjoyed the mildly uncomfortable ride that would spare him weeks of muscle-ache. Modgudr grunted in contempt for the playful way in which her sister treated the intruders but decided not to say anything and followed up.

It took the rest of the group quite a while to climb the stairs and catch up with the two giantesses and Taras and when they finally had reached the ridiculously huge entrance portal, they were too exhausted to really acknowledge the impressive sight. Two giantesses, slightly smaller than Modgudr but still towering at, at least, sixteen feet, guarded the gate and opened it when they saw the group approaching. A respectful nod was all they exchanged with Andvaka and Modgudr, as they lead them into the great hall, which by all means deserved its name.

No degree of exhaustion could’ve prevented the group of humans from gasping in awe as they first laid eyes on the simply massive interior of the building which had already been quite a feast for their eyes from the outside. Its ceiling more than a couple hundred feet above, countless beams of ebony towering up to support both ceiling and many a terrace, the floor made from the same Birchwood but mostly covered in carpets made of a variety of different pelts, some of them belonging to creatures unknown to the group of adventurers and many yards away, at the other end of the hall, Halja sat on an enormous throne seemingly made from ebony and ivory and ornamented with an impressive variety of different teeth and claws. Next to the throne, building up a semi-circle with the throne in its centre, were massive chairs occupied by giantesses nearly but not quite as tall as Halja who towered at what Philian believed had to be about fifty feet. She was dressed in silk black as the darkness in the deepest cave and embellished with golden ornaments, reflecting the light of the nearby fireplaces and torches. Her robe was far less revealing this time and seemed to serve a more ceremonial purpose. Her skin seemed even paler than Philian remembered; it was almost as white as mammoth ivory, but maybe it just appeared that way in contrast to her clothing. From her neck downwards, only her lower legs, feet, arms and hands were uncovered and even they were crested with jewellery. Philian glimpsed at the massive toes, which had pinned him down with ease yesterday. Somehow their nails seemed to be dyed in gold and black as well. On her head rested a spiked crown seemingly made from bones, her white hair graciously fell over shoulders.

»Welcome to my hall, travellers« Her booming voice echoed throughout the hall as the group approached the throne. Kyra’s gaze wandered around the semi-circle of goddess-like figures, noticing that most of them did not seem all too pleased.

 

Chapter Seven: Halja’s Offer by ItsUli

»Mother of mine and council of the lair, I bring forth to you, the intruders«, Modgudr spoke and bowed to the nine giantesses who, including Halja, formed the council.

»Ease up dottir o’ mine, this shan’t be a trial and for the moment at least, these young humans are our guests and you will treat them with respect. Is that understood?« Halja replied and while Modgudr obviously wanted to object, she just nodded and took a few steps back and let Kyra, who would act as the spokesperson for their group, pass.

»Lady of Old, council of the lair, please forgive me if my parlance does not meet your expectations just yet. I have yet to become familiar with your rules and ways of conduct.« Kyra spoke, visibly nervous as she looked around the many fierce expressions on the giantesses’ faces.

»Your efforts are remarkable and more than appreciated my child. I have been looking forward to talking to you again and it would be a shame if your fear of offending our customs would impair our conversation. Speak freely and you shall not regret it, dear.« Halja spoke and while still looking grim, the other giantesses nodded in agreement.

Philian noticed that while his sister had begun to talk, more and more giantesses had entered the hall and taken seats on the various terraces and loges. Was this some sort of public event? What did the population of this place expect of this audience?

»Thank you, Lady Halja, for giving me the opportunity to speak on behalf of my companions and possibly on behalf of our villages in the north. And thank you for the hospitality you have shown us. Our travels have been both tedious and dangerous, if it wasn’t for Andvaka and your benevolence we might have met an unfortunate end.« Kyra continued, trying her best not to be the one starting potential negotiations.

Halja just looked at the small woman, barely reaching up to her ankles and smiled.

»Usually I don’t like to interfere with Blákaldur’s affairs, but you’ve done us a great service by bringing home my daughter and rarely have I met a human as bold and yet polite as yourself, Kyra of the Fawk-Clan.« She eventually replied once again leaving the group yet again surprised with her knowledge.

»I must apologise, I believe I didn’t properly introduce myself, or my friends for that matter, but it seems that somehow you already know who we are?« In disbelief, Kyra phrased her statement as a question, hoping it would not offend the goddess.

A small burst of laughter erupted from Halja; loud enough to echo through the hall, but it was a sound most warm and kind to the ear. »For the moment you shouldn’t worry yourself with what I do or do not know child. Just be sure that I am not easily deceived and do not take kindly to any attempts to do so. Your names and a proper introduction however, would only be necessary if you were to stay with us. But you have no intention to do so, do you Kyra?« Halja answered, her icy blue eyes now fixed on Kyra, seemingly inspecting her every move and maybe even more than that.

Kyra’s nervousness turned into discomfort as Halja was not giving her any information whatsoever on what her intentions were or what she expected to come of this audience but pushed her to reveal her own. »You’re right I fear… our villages need help and it is our responsibility to gather supplies and bring them home. The ice-devil, Blákaldur as you call him, interfered with our plans and forced us to seek refuge. But we would like to resume our mission as soon as possible« Kyra stated well aware that Halja would probably see right through her bold lie. And as if to confirm her suspicion, Halja frowned, her gaze suddenly feeling like an icy breeze to the young woman.

»After all you’ve been through, all you’ve seen, you would still try to make your way to the northern cave-system to hunt for the scraps your ancestors left behind in the ice? Forgive me child but I find it hard to believe that…« Halja said, the sound of her voice had changed. Both she and Kyra were well aware of the little game they were playing and it seemed that Kyra was struggling. Philian looked at Nessi who had been keeping an eye on him because she knew that he would have a hard time to just stand and watch while their fate rested in Kyra’s hands. Nessi shook her head anticipating that he was close to interfering. Kyra closed her eyes for a second and took a deep breath before opening them again and looking straight into Halja’s eyes.

»I’m getting tired of this game Lady Halja. We both know what it is we need to discuss and I’m pretty sure you are well aware of our intentions, while we have no clue about yours. I know we are not in any position to make demands but I would appeal to the very same kindness you’ve shown us by granting us asylum. Could you spare some of your resources and help us find a safe way southwards? Both we and our villages would owe you a debt of gratitude« Kyra asked with new found determination.

The expression on the giantesses face lightened up and she smiled. »Now this is the way a proud woman talks. Tell me Kyra of the Fawk-Clan, is the north still led by old men too proud to recognize the strength of women like you?« Halja replied not giving an answer to Kyra’s question.

Kyra thought about her answer for a while. Maybe it wouldn’t be wise to give away political information like that, but on the other hand the question could’ve been of rhetorical nature. »Well… yes…«Kyra began but was interrupted by Nessi, who suddenly stood next to her and answered on her behalf: »Yes and no… While the north remains a patriarchy in its political structure, Our talents and strengths do not go unrecognised. Kyra here is the leader of this expedition after all and well respected among both elders and peers!«.

Apparently surprised by this bold move, Halja and the other giantesses of the council looked at her. »Nessi it is, right?« Halja asked. Suddenly regretting her impulsive choice, Nessi was unsure what to say now and just nodded, trying to avoid looking into the giantesses eyes.

No need to be so shy now child. I’m sure it must have taken a lot of courage to speak up for your people here, but we have seen many a century by now and while I don’t doubt that your fearless leader is well respected among both men and women, the injustice is rooted deep within your people”. The look in Halja’s eyes was difficult to interpret as it paradoxically seemed to be warm at cold at the same time. Nessi struggled to find a suitable response and remained quiet as Kyra put a hand on her shoulder and gently pulled her back.

Yes our society is flawed, but it has gotten better with every generation and it is my dream to bring change to our lands. But the situation is dire and a good leader, no matter if man or woman, has to tend to the needs of their subjects. There can be no change if the people of our land are starving”, Kyra said well aware that she was laying it on a little thick, but it got Halja’s attention.

 The attention of her and the rest of the council shifted to Kyra again and Halja smirked. “You remind me of someone child and I must say your determination appeals to me.”, she said, instantly getting Kyra’s undivided attention.

remind you of who…” she whispered. Halja tilted her head a little bit, the expression in her eyes still difficult to interpret. “I am tempted to agree to your terms Kyra of the Fawk-Clan, but surely you understand that I would risk the irrevocable exposure of my people and this place to the outside world and I am not quite ready to take that risk just yet.”, Halja spoke, ignoring Kyra’s question.

But you said it yourself and I believe you, that you put your subjects’ safety above anything else, so I’ll propose a deal… I will grant you both, plentiful supplies and safe passage southwards…” she continued and the group of humans couldn’t quite believe it. Even Kyra’s attention was pulled back to the matter at hand.

“Really?”, she asked in disbelief not waiting for her to finish.

“…but you will leave behind some of your friends as a…safety precaution”, Halja concluded her sentence and watched in anticipation when one after another her guests turned pale as she had expected. Nessi instinctively took a few steps back in an impulse to draw less attention to her. None of the group of adventurers was particularly fond of the idea to be left behind except Taras who had developed a certain fascination for this place for rather transparent reasons and even he had his concerns. Kyra remained quiet, pale and with single drops of sweat on her face she stared at Halja who seemed to be serious about this proposition. With no Nessi to hold him back, Philian now was fed up with seeing his sister under so much pressure and marched up to the throne.

With all due respect lady Halja, I stood back silent while you two were discussing our fate, because I wanted to honour your customs, but a decision like that concerns us all and there is no way we can accept this deal. We…” He was interrupted in his ambitious speech when Halja suddenly stood up from her throne and took an energetic step into his direction, the floor trembling under her weight. In the flickering lights of the torches that lighted the hall, the goddess casted a shadow over the young man who compared to her, seemed like an insect.

“You again hmm? I thought I told you that your kind has no voice here”, she said and her voice became slightly more menacing. Philian took a step back and looked at her foot which was a little too close for comfort for him. A gulp was audible before he spoke up again: “We choose leaders for organisational purposes and to coordinate and combine the various voices with experience and talent no matter whether on the level of a task-force like this one or on the scale of an entire country, but we still are a team, a family where each life matters as much as the next. I realise that you don’t think highly of men like me here… but this decision concerns all of us…” he finished and in anticipation of being stomped by the goddess, backed away even further.

“Philian of the Fawk-Clan… you are Kyra’s twin-brother, the first born child even, am I right?” She asked, her inflexion making it clear that this question was of rhetorical nature. Philian just nodded, this was not the time to question her source of knowledge about them. “I can see it in your eyes and in the way you try to create distance between the two of us, that you were scared of what I might do to you if you spoke up… and rightly so. If you were someone else I probably would have already… “ , she paused for a second before continuing. “But you are a curious little male… A prodigy of the tribe yourself and yet you would rather do anything to see your sister succeed instead of striving for power yourself”.

It didn’t matter how she could possibly know this, she was right. And deep in his heart he had always known that one day there would come a moment like this one, where his allegiance to his sister would be under trial. The colour returned to his face and a smile formed on his lips as he stepped closer to the goddess again.

“I will stay behind willingly if you agree to let the others go. I should be enough of a safety-precaution don’t you think, Lady Halja?” He said. The goddess smirked and without a warning picked the tiny man up with her right hand, lifting him up until he was on eye-level with her. It proved impossible for Philian to keep his composure as he looked into her piercing eyes and then down towards her enormous mouth, big enough to easily devour him whole. As if she had read his thoughts, her mouth now opened, revealing the dark and humid cave, adorned by a set of menacing teeth. Her tongue far bigger than the miniscule Philian, now playfully licked over her lips, her warm breath washed over him like the hot gusts of air in the southern deserts he had read about. Fear took hold of him and the image of being eaten alive by this powerful entity and not being able to do anything about it, conquered his mind and was all he could think about.

Pl…Plea…Please”, he stuttered as she gently touched his face with the tip of her tongue, covering him in saliva. The others just watched in shock as Halja demonstrated that their friend was at her mercy alone. The moment lasted for a couple of seconds longer before she slowly pulled her tongue back in and closed her mouth, only to give Philian an impish smile. “I accept your offer, Philian of the Fawk-Clan”, she whispered but her voice, coming from such close proximity, still boomed in his ears.  

Carefully she put him down in front of his friends and looked at Kyra who couldn’t believe what just happened.

The one eyed’s grasp seems weak on your brother. I can only hope that there are more men like him in your lands. So it is decided…” Halja spoke but was interrupted when suddenly Taras raised his voice.

If Philian stays, so will I!... if you let me…” He yelled up at her, becoming less secure at the end of the sentence. Murmurs spread throughout the hall as the many giantesses, even those on the council, heard yet another male speak up to their mistress. Halja looked at Taras and laughed.

“My my… Taras, who, despite the dangers it holds for his kind, has in his heart already found a spot for this, my realm. I would not want to deny you your wish, you too will remain here. Now before there are any more unwanted interruptions, are there any more of you, who wish to stay with their companions?” Halja said and now looked specifically at Nessi who seemed to struggle with herself. Philian walked up to her and put both his hands on her shoulders.

I will be alright starshine, the others will need your help getting back to the village”, he said but still appeared a bit shaken up by what just had happened. Nessi looked him into the eyes and put her hands on his cheeks, gently wiping away some of the leftover saliva from his face.

I…just…” she started but stopped mid-sentence when she realised she couldn’t put this to words properly. Instead of finishing it, she now put her arms around his neck, pulled his face closer to hers and gave him a passionate kiss. Kyra watched the two of them, still visibly overwhelmed with how this situation had developed over such short time. She couldn’t possibly leave behind her brother, but did she really have another choice now? Halja as well as her brother and Taras seemed to have made their minds up while she had been unable to react properly. As she noticed, that she was close to breaking out in tears, she managed to pull herself together and suppressed her emotions as she had done so many times before when it was necessary. She turned around to her brother and looked at him with an empty expression.

“This isn’t over yet brother…”

 

This story archived at http://www.giantessworld.net/viewstory.php?sid=8790