- Text Size +
Story Notes:

Hey everybody and welcome to the first story I'm deciding to publish on this panel. At this point in time it is yet far from being finished but I didn't want to wait till that time has come. This story is dedicated mainly to the giantess-community and while you will notice that it takes quite some time until the word "Giantess" let alone any other related aspect is even so much as mentioned, keep in mind, that these are only the first four chapters of a potentially 30k+ words story in which I wanted to combine my interest in giantess-fantasies with storytelling that is not only focussed on the more "action-centred" elements of this genre but also makes some attempts at worldbuilding and includes at least a hint of in-depth character development. (That said, I am not saying that as a writer I'm any good at that...). At later stages the story will include a variety and higher density of action-centred-elements usually found in the genre, but is limited to F/m interaction and is already tagged according to the elements you can expect to be included (Different sizes of GTS will be represented in the story!) . I will not always release four chapters at once and I am not yet clear on the time it will take to update the story, hence there will be no fixed schedule for further releases. 

 

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended

 

 

__________________________________________________________________

Among the most popular tales on the northern shelf are those that tell stories of great treasures hidden in the icy caverns beyond the frozen sea. Stories that were loved by the people for their suspense, but even more so for that grain of truth, found in each and every one of them. For more than two-hundred years young men and women, filled with ambition and fervour, would leave their homeland to travel across the ice and seek valuables to bring back home to their families. A dangerous endeavour undoubtedly, for many souls had been lost to the chilling tundra and its perils. Glory they sought and it was glory that awaited those who’d return.

Celebrated and admired by peers and elders alike for their bravery, their contributions to their families, clans and communities, they would be given the chance to join one of the oldest guilds in the north, the men of inquiry. An honour many a man and woman strove for. As part of this guild you would count to the most respected members of this society, teach children the ways of the wild; how and what to hunt in the tundra, how to orientate yourself judging from the constellations on the night sky only and where to find access to those ancient caverns that were believed to be gateways to the remains of the civilisations of old. But to be a man or woman of inquiry would also require a promise, an oath if you will, to act in the service of the north. For it was the task of the men of inquiry to map out the immensities of the lands beyond, to provide not only information but also resources in times of need.

Wildlife in the north was scarce; the hunting grounds in the homeland would rarely provide enough to feed everyone but despite the harsh living conditions in the tundra beyond, it brought forth many creatures unseen in the realms of men. Mammoths that could feed an entire village for months, sheep more than twice as large as usual which could provide milk and wool, and also dreadful predators, sabre-toothed-lions which due to their size would not fear to attack any living thing, but whose pelts are worth small fortunes. For more than a hundred years now the north would gather in celebration once a year to remember the day a legendary group of men of inquiry, led by Agamemnon Fawk, brought home a herd of young mammoths that sustained many villages for decades. And so began the legacy of the Fawk-Clan, of which every descendant was bound to become a redeemed man or woman of inquiry.

Philian, great grandson of Agamemnon, as well as his twin-sister Kyra both had survived an expedition into the tundra when they had barely reached the age of fourteen. Now, ten years later, they were still considered prodigies as they had left and returned from many a perilous journey and never had come back empty handed. As it was the custom, they lived among the other men and women of inquiry in the main village Norwinsk at the coast of the northern shelf. The many Fjords and roads connected this village to nearly all other settlements, making it the heart of the north and on a good day, from the rocky tower, you could see far over the frozen sea. The Fawks had lived here for over a century in the rustic manor, Agamemnon’s father had built not far from the guildhall. Both Philian and Kyra loved this place with all their heart and oftentimes when on an expedition their chests would ache with the desire to return home. Neither one of them had started a family of their own but many men had offered themselves to Kyra for that she would give them her hand in marriage, yet she had always declined.

Philian on the other hand, had but little luck with women for the ones he’d meet were either not independent enough or would remind him too much of his sister who he adored but also feared. He was sure that one day his sister would grow up to be the most powerful woman in the north and saw it as his obligation and honour to help her on every step on the way. You must know that while women in the north are as strong and sharp-minded as the men, its society remains a patriarchy. If a man and woman of inquiry were to have a child, it’d be the woman’s duty to resign from the guild and take care of the youngling. As far as Philian was concerned, Kyra was the North’s chance for change and oftentimes he’d burden his sister with these expectations.

It was the third month of the year and supplies were shorter than usual in Norwinsk. Soon they wouldn’t be able to sustain the other villages much longer if no replenishment arrived. Philian and Kyra were called to the guildhall to discuss options with the council of elders. Both knew that it was time for another expedition; too many weeks had passed since they’ve returned from their last. In front of the guildhall they met up with their peers, proud young men and women of inquiry, many of whom had already accompanied the twins on their travels. First one to greet them was Taras, a restless and yet quite crafty boy who had reached the age of nineteen last fall. While significantly younger than him, Taras had become one of Philian’s closest friends over the past years.

»Sir and Lady Fawk, as usual a pleasure to meet the two of you«, he spoke and imitated the accent of southern royalties. Kyra shook her head and smiled while her brother and Taras shared a hug. Her eyes were set on Silias, whom she called Silly in a more loving than mocking way. He leaned against the wooden baulk supporting the canopy and stared at her. It was no secret there was somewhat of a spark between the two of them but they had never gotten to go on an expedition together. Philian glanced at him while greeting the others; he couldn’t quite understand why his sister was so fond of him. Silias was an honourable man, no doubt, and contrary to his sister, Philian did have the pleasure of working together with him. Never had Silias let him down, misbehaved in his presence or spoken inappropriately of his sister but Philian knew that Silias was a proud man who stood by the principles of the north. Sooner or later a relationship between him and Kyra could hinder her from reaching for the stars.

Philian looked back at his sister. It was curious how even though she did not ever spend a lot of time or effort to make herself pretty, she’d always look beautiful. Her long curly dark blonde hair reached over her shoulders and her green eyes were glowing in the sunlight. With roughly six feet she stood as tall as Philian himself, her figure emphasizing her femininity where it counted but not too much to impair her movement or combat. Truth be told, she was more agile than Philian in most respects. She was covered in the leather armaments customary to their family, with fur around the neck and in the cowl to protect her from the icy winds. Philian himself wore his father’s outfit, similar to Kyra’s but tailored to a young man’s stature and with ornaments on the chest. Looking at his sister he couldn’t be mad at Silias for fancying her as so many had before him. Together with Taras, Silias, Mathias and Lysann, the latter two were long-term friends of the Fawk-Clan, the siblings now entered the guildhall and took their seats at the long table used for gatherings of this kind. Many others were already there and it seemed the elders had waited for Philian and the others to arrive.

»It seems everyone is here, so let us begin! «, The Elder Fjodor spoke and blew into his horn to stop the chattering at the table. »You all know the issue at hand, as it is not the first time we faced it. As men and women of inquiry, it is our sacred duty to provide for our families, friends, clans and fellow guild members as well as for those villages which in time of scarcity cannot provide for themselves. And you all know what I must ask of you.« Fjodor’s words echoed throughout the hall as he did not beat abound the bush. For a short moment after, there was silence but Kyra arose from her seat and slammed her hand onto the table.

»Alas! Then we ought not waste any more time. In the ends of summer last cycle, Evodia and Alíki discovered rangelands to the North-east of the cauldron, gather as many of us as you need and be on your way. Jaron! Your reports mention auspicious vegetation in the south-west of the Claw-reefs. Those of you who are taught in the ways of gathering, join him on an expedition there. I myself, shall take my brother and some others who are willing, to the unmapped caverns in the far north and maybe can find materials for tools or valuables to trade with the southerners«, She yelled and once again gave proof to her leadership abilities. The others were baffled at first but then joined together in laughter and held up their drinking horns in approval. »Hark!« some of them bawled and Evodia, Alíki and Jaron stood up to gather their teams. Philian looked at his sister and when their eyes met, he nodded and got up to gather with her and whoever would be brave enough to join them. Unmapped territory, especially when it came to the icy caverns, was treacherous and many men and women of inquiry avoid expeditions to these areas.

Every now and then, reports would come in of unseen creatures dwelling in such areas, even more dangerous creatures than sabre-toothed lions. Of course many of these reports were faked in order for the authors to appear even more heroic or to embellish the cause of death of a comrade who might have just fallen down a ravine or drowned in the icy waters. But some of them indeed were true and who does not fear by now the mighty talons of a fully-grown ice devil, a creature so vile and vicious a single one can scare away an entire herd of mammoths.

Nonetheless, there were five members of the guild willing to join Kyra’s cause and four of them have been mentioned before. Taras and Silias as well as Mathias and Lysann had gathered around her and much to Philian’s surprise Nessi too expressed her eagerness to come with them. Now Philian knew that despite her small stature and lack in combat-ability, Nessi was not to be underestimated. What she lacked in agility and bravery, she compensated with a mind sharper than a penguins beak. Her eidetic memory allowed her to navigate through the tundra as if it was her backyard, a quality of hers that had saved countless lives over the past decade. But usually she would stay clear of the caverns as her rather clumsy movement proved to be of major disadvantage when it came to climbing down frozen waterfalls or manoeuver through the slippery tunnels that connect the various caves. Philian liked her and he suspected the feeling to be mutual, maybe even a bit stronger from her side.

»Are you sure you’re up to the challenge starshine?« Silias asked with honest concern in his voice. Nessi was often referred to as starshine for her navigational qualities. »You know these caves are tricky and you’re most valuable on the surface«.

»The unmapped territory you speak of is far beyond our usual commuting area. The advantages of having me with you will outweigh the disadvantages by a long shot and you know it. Thank you for your concern but I, as all of you, need to grow with my tasks and challenges. I will come with you.« Nessi answered and no one dared to oppose her.

»Alright then it is settled. The seven of us will take this assignment and I will take the role of the team-leader. If anyone has a problem with that they can whine about it in private. You have an hour to get ready, it’s still morning and I’d like to put our time to good use. We can make it to the icy peaks today and reach the unmapped territory by nightfall the day after tomorrow. Make haste!« Kyra said and without another word she headed out of the guildhall to gather her equipment. Philian sighed; he respected her firm leadership but had to admit that she could appear quite imperious.

Philian couldn’t help but feel a bit nervous going on this expedition. It was his twentieth but something about it felt different, odd. Surely it was only the thrill of a mission in unmapped territory…

 

Chapter End Notes:

_____________________________