- Text Size +

Williams was given binoculars by one of his officers stationed on the city's tallest building's roof. He gritted his teeth angrily when he looked through them at the battlefield below. 

  "Whose bright idea was it to position our artillery in that gap near the foot of Mount Polio?" he said while eyeing his pack of officers lined up behind him. 

It took a while before one of them took a step forward, an officer named Spencer.  

"M-me, sir. It grants them great coverage from aerial assaults, not to mention a perfect field of fire to shell incoming tanks." 


  "They are being destroyed by a band of motorcycles coming from the hills beyond it as we speak," William said dryly. 


"T-that's impossible, s-sir," 


BANG! 


All officers watched, horrified as Spencer's lifeless body thudded on the soil before their feet. A fresh stream of warm blood coming from a hole in his forehead drenched the dirt, forming an ever-expending puddle. 

Williams slid his gun back into his holster. He wrapped his hands behind his back and looked over the fierce battle unfolding on the plains in the distance - the echoes of shootings and explosions hurling through the air. Things did not look good. Even without his binoculars, William could see their vanguard was suffering the full brunt of a pincer movement from the enemy. 

Williams's chest expanded with a deep sigh, and he slowly released the breath. "Does anyone have an ingenious thought as to how we can turn the tide of this battle?" he said as his eyes were looking with a glimmer of hope.  


No one spoke. 

 

Williams pulled out his gun, the cold metal greeting his warm hand, and turned around, facing his officers. They stared at him and his gun, their eyes bulging in fear. 


"I might as well shoot you all." Williams eyed their taut faces one by one. 

Just as Williams was about to blow someone's head off, the one named Dirk – who gave a girlish yelp when his eyes fluttered, for they were forced to look into the barrel of a gun – another one stepped forward. 

Williams eyed the other officer curiously while keeping his gun aimed at Dirk. Officer Dirk could have saved his own life by acting more manly. If he did, Williams would have lowered his gun to see what officer Jace had to say. But Officer Dirk was anything but manly, especially when a loaded gun was pointed at his face. He kept whining like a heartbroken little schoolgirl during a harsh break-up at a school's prom. All to the annoyance of Williams, who simply chose to give the trigger a good squeeze. 

Officer Jace possessed the nerves to remain unfazed when the body of his colleague and close friend slumped down in the dirt at his feet, splattering drops of blood on his pant leg – a thing that saved his life. While blasting Officer Dirk's brains out, Williams kept looking officer Jace in the eyes while purposing himself to do the same to Jace if the latter would show any sign of disapproval. 


"Speak." Williams holstered his gun as he saw that Jace's expression remained unfazed. Jace started speaking. And, to his respect, Jace did it with confidence and without stuttering. "The Hornets, sir, aren't deployed yet, am I right?" 


Williams nodded. 


"Well, to be honest, sir. I firmly believe that tactical employment of the Hornets can turn the tide of battle." 


"What do you suggest?" Williams looked over at the airbase in the far back of their Capitol. His curiosity was sparked, and Jace's compelling words gave him hope. 

Officer Jace took a few steps to the edge of the building they were standing on to take a gander at the fighting below. He saw that their great vanguard consisting of tanks and infantry was being sandwiched from both sides by moderate-sized battalions of tanks and armored vehicles. They were also being shelled by artillery fire coming from a stripe of trees further ahead. Tiny dots of lights flashed brightly prior to the resonant rumble this weaponry made while shooting. Intel had told them that the enemy had a significant number of stingers in their possession and a large force of them was defending the artillery.  

So sending in the Hornets to deal with both the artillery and one of the attacking battalions would be suicide. However, Jace had noticed that a large portion of the enemy's army had left their air base to join the fray. Only a handful of guards were left behind. The base was highly vulnerable. And to Jace's luck, there was a platoon of marines in the area there who would be able to sabotage the base's AA-guns. After that, the Hornets would have free reign. The devastation would be disastrous to the enemy. A significant portion of their air force will be destroyed, nullifying their air superiority. The enemy might win this ground battle, but they won't be able to keep up their momentum in the long run. 

 

Jace turned around, facing his superior and rubbed his hands in eagerness while telling his plan. 

Williams decided that it was worth a shot. He was about to shout out the order when the whole battlefield whipped to silence as seismic tremors rippled throughout the kingdom – rattling windows and lampposts. More followed, becoming gradually more intense until new cracks formed next to the existing ones, tearing through the thick walls of many buildings in the kingdom.  

Williams saw the terror in the eyes of his officers. They all knew what it meant. It heralded the arrival of HER. The woman who came out of nowhere and took their kingdom for herself. 

 

Their magically concealed civilization had always been free from meddling touches from the outside world until she arrived one day. No one knew what the outside world looked like or if there even was something like an outside world.  

Controversial theories circulated that there were actual parallel existences out there living next to theirs but separated from them by some invisible, insurmountable line. This line, however, was crossed when she showed up on a spring-like morning.  

The humanlike anatomy of this young woman appeared identical to theirs. There was one crucial difference, however, though. This woman – who was comely beyond par – was innumerable times larger than them. She was ridiculously powerful compared to them. And that fact poses a real threat.  

After a brief moment of amazement from both sides, the young, dark-haired woman – clothed in a formal black dress with slits on the sides – crouched down and bluntly started poking buildings with her finger. The impish glee that stretched the woman's pretty lips into a stunning smile was in stark contrast with the discharging panic erupting in the infinitesimal city blocks down below she so mischievously was poking like a birthday cake. That simple act showed her true intentions. She wasn't here to make friends.  

Unsurprisingly, this woman – who came from another dimension – spoke with foreign words. They sounded both dignified and ominous at the same time. No one knew what she said, but it was pretty clear that the woman was threatening them.  

To add force to her unintelligible words, the woman simply annihilated an entire city with a stomp of her high-heeled boot that rippled a potent shockwave throughout the region, damaging many acres of infrastructure.  

After a few more destructive acts, and some angry gesturing and swearing, it became clear what the woman wanted from them: she wanted to be worshipped.  

 

Most cities complied immediately, but a substantial part of the kingdom decided to walk the path of defiance instead. It would be mere child's play for the woman to stomp them all into submission, but where was the fun in that? 

So the woman simply ordered her followers to do exactly that for her. And thus began the Holy War, which is still being fought to this day.  

From time to time, the woman came to check out the war's progress, just like this day. Things always went in the same way. When the woman showed up, everyone stopped doing what they were doing and gawked up at her in silence, aside from the woman's most loyal followers. These people bowed their heads down and started kneeling and praying passionately to her – for most of them were firmly convinced that this woman was an actual Goddess sent to guide them. 

 

Williams snorted while looking up at this disreputable woman soaring heavenly high while standing at their kingdom's edge. She was eating an apple while scrutinizing her tiny Queendom from above. She looked bored, which struck fear in the hearts of many, for it could drive her to a destructive act for a swift moment of entertainment. Lucky for them, the woman merely crouched down, threw her apple core on top of a remote settlement and ordered them to carry on. 

 

And with that, Williams proceeded with his plan.

Chapter End Notes:

Early access to this, and other exclusive stories on my patreon.

https://www.patreon.com/glaazius

 

Thx for reading. Please let me hear your thoughts!