- Text Size +
Story Notes:

Author's Chapter Notes:



Rob flicked the burning match he used to light his cigarette into the water and saw it sizzle out.

After taking a big drag, a long plume of smoke pumped outwards through Rob's lips, swirling upward before being swept away by a morning breeze as their ship trudged across the river.

As he gaped at a row of daisies – soaring monstrously huge like trees at the riverbank – Rob realized all the more that it was a mistake to come here.

In his view, their kind had no business in this land of the giants. And not just any giants judging by the sheer size of a couple of mere flowers.

Most of the crew he worked with had never seen an actual giant. Some claimed they had, but Rob believed only one of them.

A grumpy old lad named Odeer.

Odeer was the only surviving member of a recon army flattened relentlessly when the boot of a giantess landed on top of them – pancaking dozens of trucks and jeeps into unrecognizable metal disks.

If Rob had to believe the guy, these monstrous giants were able to wreak whole cities with just a few pokes of their finger or toe.

The laughter of that giantess resonating long after she'd left still followed Odeer in his dreams. Although Odeer had not actually seen the giantess, he saw the heel of her boot in a short flash before it launched into the air again.

"Vastly dwarfing every structure we've ever built," he had said earnestly. And that was just Odeer talking about the heel of her boot. Based on Odeer's story, the giantess was probably completely unaware of the destruction she'd left in her wake.

"It pretty much sounded like the broad was babbling with someone on the phone," Odeer had said.

For years no journey was being undertaken to these baleful lands. Until a huge shortage of food compelled them to do so. Only a few volunteers came forward to embark on such a hazardous venture, so crewmembers were bluntly selected and forced to participate.

Rob was one of them. This was his first trip. He had to lean on the wisdom and the more experienced sailors.

So far, the trip went prosperous. The fleet was already on their way home, with all containers stuffed to the brim with supplies.

Rob took one long last drag from his dying cigarette, flicked it in the water, and was about to turn around to get some sleep in his cabin. A deep rumble made him cease his step. Another rumble made him look anxiously over his shoulder.

Some of his fellow crewmembers had felt it too. More and more came pouring in on the ship's deck, looking around while scanning their surroundings. The trembling continued and became heavier.

"There! Over there!" a voice shouted.

Everyone followed his finger.

It pointed at a tree, which was so majestic that it must have been planted by Zeus himself. Even one of its leaves would be big enough to conceal half its fleet if it were to flutter down from one of its branches. Then Rob saw her. From behind the tree came an incomprehensible figure sauntering up their way. It was a female. A few monumental bushes partly obscured her body, so only her torso and face were visible.

The young lady was dressed in outdoor garments. She looked bushed and sweaty as she wiped her forehead with her arm. The tremors became dangerously heavier, oscillating their entire ships as the feminine figure closed in on them. Then she stood still at the river's edge, looking down while catching her breath – totally unaware of their pitiful existence.

Rob had a good view of her now. It was a slender woman, looking comely, with beautiful auburn-hued hair knotted in two braids on the side of her head. She looked to be in her twenties.

The river rippled violently, tilting their ships when the woman dropped her backpack on the ground, sending out a rippling shockwave. She bends over to grab a water bottle. Swinging her head backward, the woman began drinking eagerly. It gave Rob the time to admire this frightening yet intriguing appearance called Brobdingnagian.

The girl was dressed in a sleeveless shirt and kaki shorts that showcased her unendingly, long pale legs. She wore expensive-looking and relatively new appearing hiking boots wrapped up all over her ankles, with thick black soles with a rough profile.

Rob gulped as he scrutinized these shoes and realized that a mere stomp of these was more than sufficient to flatten several city blocks of his hometown.

Rob's attention was drawn upwards again when the lady stopped drinking. The bottle was empty, but based on her facial expression, Rob could say she was still thirsty.

She crouched down and dipped her hands in the water, drenching her face with refreshing coldness.

Rob only now realized that their ship was dangerously close to her. Fortunately, the ship's Captain learned this a lot sooner than him, for its bow was already maneuvering away from her in the direction of a mountainous rock jutting above the water.

Three cargo ships – of their fleet of four – huddled closely beyond the rock and out of sight of the gigantic lady.

One ship, however, was not so lucky. Their Captain was too late in maneuvering the ship out of sight from the Brobdingnagian. It lay bobbing in the open now. And the girl's eyes shot in their direction now after drenching her face.

It rumbled beneath them as the Brob girl snuggled closer for a better look, slamming one of her massive knees into the sand. The helpless screams of the ship's crew echoed through the air when her hand soared closer. There was nothing that Rob and the others could do to help them. Their lives all depended on the Brob girl's actions. With a bit of luck, she would simply stand back up and leave. But the changes are slim to none, judging by the twinkle of curiousness Rob saw flickering in her eyes. Her lips compressed together with focus as her index finger reached out to touch the minuscule cargo ship bobbing beneath her in the river.

CRACK!

Too much pressure. The ship broke into two pieces and started to sink. The Brob lady flinched and tried her best to aid them, making it only worse. With her thumb and index finger, she aimed to fish them out. But her strength was too great, and the ship pulverized beneath the pressure of her touch.

Rob heard her thunderous voice apologizing several times. Just when she was about to stand up, her eyes zeroed in on something else.

"Idiots!" Rob fumed as he saw that one of the other ships hiding behind the rock had forgotten to throw out an anchor. They gradually bobbed further until their hull was visible to the Brob lady. Her hand greedily reached out, and before Rob knew it, their whole fleet of three lay out into the open – scrutinized by the eyes of a godlike being above them – when the mountainous rock they were hiding beyond was lifted skywards.

They were doomed now. Rob was certain of that. A monumental hand reached out to them, engulfing them in shadow. But instead of poking a finger, the Brob lady submerged her hand in the water. As Rob leaned over the railing, he saw her frighteningly huge hand drifting beneath them like a terrifying huge sea monster through the clear water. Looks like she'd learned from her previous mistake.

"She's going to spoon us up, lads! Prepare for the worst!" Their Captain bellowed.

Rob looked around anxiously, seeking something to strap himself to the deck to prevent him from being thrown overboard when the ship would rock violently. He cursed when he could detect nothing useful. The only thing he came up with was using the straps tied on his bed – a precautionary measure he specially concocted for situations like this where the water was wild. But his bed was in his cabin, and his cabin was–

"Wooooow!!" The ship jerked violently to one side, making Rob almost tumble over the railing.

The ship was taken. Or better said; The ships were taken. Because their ship was not the only one bobbing now in the cupped hand of the Brob lady in a lake of water.

"Hold on tight," The Brob lady tried speaking with a soothing voice that sounded thunderous nevertheless to their minuscule eardrums.

The cupped water in her hand sank fast, seeping through her fingers. It did not take long before the underside of their ship came into contact with the Brobdingnagian's hand – making both ships tilt to the side. Unlike many crew members who simply rolled over the ship's deck painfully, Rob could keep his solid arms and legs attached to the railing like riding a horse.

Then the island of a hand cannoned skywards. A strong surge of vertigo dazzled Rob's eyes as his whole surrounding became nothing more than a blurry mix of a polychromatic cocktail cascading downwards. The wind whooshed through his ears. His bowels squeezed tightly into one compact, flat pancake due to the insanely upward momentum that would rumble even the steel nerves of a seasoned fighter pilot.

An abrupt stop followed. Rob shook his head and tried to find his bearings.

Gradually returning contours drew his perception and showed the extreme close-up of a feminine face filling up his entire purview. Rob could see every splendor on her countenance in great detail.

"She's... she's so beautiful," Rob brought out as he craned his neck deep, intending to scrutinize every part of her stunning face. Seeing a Brobdingnagian in real life was a first-timer for him, but he was already in love with this woman.

The Brob lady showed a dazzling smile, showcasing a row of teeth, each bigger than several containers stacked on their ship. She seemed clearly happy with her find. Two lilliputian ships filled with brave sailors. Her eyes aimed their gaze at the ground.

The fourth ship. It's still there in the water. Rob thought.

He saw her thinking, contemplating what she should do with them. There probably needed to be more room in her hand for three ships.

The brob lady merely shrugged and bluntly landed her hike boot on top of the helpless ship, crushing it out of existence. She also killed off the remaining survivors of the other wrecked ship swimming in the water.

Then, she picked up her bag and walked off, whistling some merry tune while glancing at her freshly captured prized possession with a satisfied smirk.

Chapter End Notes:

Early access to this, and other exclusive stories on my patreon.

https://www.patreon.com/glaazius

 

Thx for reading. Please let me hear your thoughts!