- Text Size +
Story Notes:
The beginning is rather long. But gets really good after the first part of the meeting of the old woman.
Author's Chapter Notes:
My first story and I love to write.
*extra note: may contain more categories than listed.


Today was like any other day for John Dirk. The sun rose before he did and he slept through his alarm. Waking and slowly sitting up, John rubbed the sleep from his eyes. Sliding his feet off his bed, he searched for his slippers. He continued his day by showering, eating breakfast, then left for work.

John was heading down Main Street, along with the hundreds of other cars that made up this horrible traffic jam, when he spotted a side street that he might be able to slip through. Quickly throwing on his right blinker, he turned as fast as he could to leave the horrible traffic jam and gain what little freedom he could muster in driving. He hated being surrounded by cars. It bugged him and made him feel nervous. He was sure this street would take him to his work. Not too long after he was driving, he noticed that the road started curving right instead of left. He needed to go left to get to work. Before he could stop to turn around, a loud BANG could be heard for quite a distance as his tire exploded. Even though he was only going ten miles and hour, it through his car into a swerve that made him drive straight into a fire hydrant.

When John awoke, he could not seem to remember what happened. The water rainind down reminded him of his horrible mishap. He pulled the lever and opened the door to his new, and now beat up, silver convertable mustang. He marveled at the damage done to his car and knew that he would be late for sure. He quickly called his boss on his cell phone and let him know what had happened.

"What do you mean 'not able to come in today'!" yelled John's boss, Mike Johnson. "You have a presentation today to the new computer company. I do not know how your software works John, so I can not take this to them..." Mike said in a calmer tone.

"I am sorry sir, I can tell you that it is simple to use and the instructions are in the print outs I was suppose to give the CEO of their company. I am sure you can at least try to figure it out," said John," I it really simple, but if you can not do it; Jill Mosen can." With those words John heard a faint click as his boss hung up on him. He did not like this at all. Sure Jill was qualified to operate his program, and was the only one who knew his program; but she has quite a shy attitude and may not be able to talk in front of the CEOs.

Pulling his mind away from the possibility of failure and focused on the problem at hand, his beat up car. The only public building was a shop a little ways down the road. Seeing as their was nothing else he could do, he figured he would go down to the shop and ask for the number to a towing company. John stopped in front of the awkward looking shop and seem to think this over.

The shop was old and beat up from years of low up keep. The sign above the doorway read: Life's Great Joys. Seeing no reason why not to go in, he mustered up his courage and walked into the shop. The doors made a creaking noise and a bell went off as he walked in. The women in the back of the shop stopped sweeping and turned back to look at John. She was old and full of wrinkles. Her hair was really long and white as snow, whiched matched her top. She wore a white long sleeve shirt and a long blue skirt.

"Can I help you?" she asked in a quite and cracked voice.

"Um...Yes, I am need to use a phone book. If that is ok, that is." Said John. The old lady took one last look at John and walked through two swinging doors in the back of the shop. Almost as fast as she left, she came back with some type of box in her hands. It was old and rather dusty, also it was too small to have a phone book inside.

"No phone book," she said," but I do have something for you John." Suprised, but not wanting to sound rude, I asked,

"How do you know me, and who is this from?" she simply set the box on the back counter. The old woman then proceeded to walk through the two swinging doors again, but this time; she did not come out. John walked to the back of the store and picked up the small box and left the store. After his walk back to his wrecked car, he decided to open his present of sorts. Sitting down on the curb, a good twenty feet from his car, he sat his box down in front of him.

Pulling the top off of the box, he coughed as dust seemed to explode out of the box. Looking back inside the box, John saw a note and a necklace with a coin on it. Pulling the note out, he noticed that it was rather clean, like there was no dust in the box itself.

"Cash your coin on the next shooting star." was all the note said. After reading, he pulled the necklace out and placed it around his neck. As soon as it rested on John's neck, he blacked out.


Chapter End Notes:
This is the boring first part...skip it if you want...it is just the introduction to his wish.