- Text Size +
"Spell it out"

Psh magic... all smoke and mirrors, that's what I say, anyway.

"Please, can I have a volunteer..." the brunette on stage re-iterated, but the audience was lukewarm. At this point, most of them had shuffled out anyway and her grand finale of a trick involved some kind of box.

My girlfriend sat beside me, giving me a sort of sympathetic stare.

"You should help her..." she sighed.

"What? Me? Why?" I asked.


"I don't know..." she chuckled, giving me a nudge on thigh, "she's the one who invited you here..."

"But you're the one who made me come" I said, trying to keep my voice down but already our small uproar had attracted the attention of some others in the crowd. I also noticed that the glowing white spotlight had focused on my seat in particular.

"Oh no" I said, trying to shake it off. I hated this kind of attention, "No, no, I wasn't..."

"Come on up, Bobby" the girl on stage laughed, making no effort to cover up the fact that we did, in fact, know each other. Before I knew it, a combination of my girlfriend, Amanda, and a group of strangers in the crowd were wisking me up on stage, their laughter and sarcastic applause echoing in my head as I stepped to the stage.

How the hell do I get myself into these messes?

Well, I guess it started the other day...

"Junk. Junk. Bills. Junk bills." I mumbled, going through my mail that morning. I knew noone of interest (or really, anyone) was behind me at the time, but I felt the need to announce every piece of mail as I unearthed it. I then came across an envelope which resembled something I'd get from a relative. Just a run of the mill white envelope with a really lame mailing sticker on the corner.

The mailing sticker was purple with dorky glitter on the edges. I open the letter and notice it wasn't from my relative at all, but my ex-girlfriend Cassandra. What could she want?

"Dear Bobby," it read, "I know we haven't talked in a while, but I've finally reached the senior level at Cromwell Academy and I am to perform a final show of my prowess next week as a final exam. Friends and family are welcome to come, and I'd really like you to come. Of course, you could bring Amanda. I'd really appreciate your support. Please find the address and other pertinent information on the enclosed note card."

I notice a small gray card fall from the envelope. I pick it up and read it. Ugh... not Cromwell Academy for the Magically Gifted... again.

My ex-girlfriend Cassandra was nice, but she had this weird obsession with magic. When I first met her, I didn't mind it so much, it wasn't really an issue. But then she'd start talking about this magic school, as if it were real. As if magic was a real thing. I began to question her handle on reality. Needless to say it was a painful breakup but it had to be done. If I had to hear about CROMWELL again or some weird magic tricks she wanted to perform on me...ugh, I swear. As if I'd get involved in that...

Just then, there was a knock on my door. It was my girlfriend, Amanda.

"Hey," I said, letting her in while still holding the note in my hand.

"Hey," she said, "I was just wondering if you were coming to that magic thing"

"Uh that what?" I chuckled, a bit weird to hear her bring it up as well.

"This" she said, pulling the note out of my hand. "I got one too... from Cassandra, right? Wasn't she your ex?"

"Yeah" I said, "I kinda don't wanna go"

"What? Just because of that?" she chuckled, "I don't care if you go... as long as we go together"

"Heh, I don't think you understand... Cassandra's a little..."

"What?" Amanda said, not approving of my talking in this manner.

"Uh...nothing." I sighed. "I guess we could go. After all, how bad could it be?"

And so, here I was.

In front of these people, my girlfriend, and walking on-stage towards Cassandra, who was dolled up with this ridiculous purple cape and tight black leotard.

"Ok, then... Bobby," she said again, making a point to repeat my name in a sort of sweet way. This whole thing didn't really sit right with me. "...if I could have you step into... the box of mystery!"

Just then a thunderclap echoed through the room as this generic looking purple box slid forward. The box was about 6 feet high, and barely wide enough for me to stand comfortably in. I reluctantly stepped inside.

"So what's going to happen to me?" I chuckled, speaking directly to Cassandra before she could close the door on me.

"You'll see..." she smiled, and shut the door, until I was in complete darkness.

I sighed and leaned on the back of the box, trying to calm myself down. I'm sure it was nothing ... she couldn't do real magic. None of this was real.

"And now..." she said, from the other side of the box, addressing her audience, "I shall perform my final trick of the night, with the box of mystery... watch carefully!"

I then notice the box was leaning backwards, as if it was tilting. Maybe I was leaning on it too hard, but I couldn't stop. It was like the whole box was being shaken on it's own, with no input from me.

I could only hear the faint sound of Cassandra's voice and the various oohs and ah's from the crowd who seemed impressed with whatever she was doing. Just then the box slid again, so that I slid to one side of it. Then it tilted again so that I slid to the other. I began to shout and thrash around inside.

"Cassandra!" I screamed, "Let me out!"

There was no answer.

"Cassandra! Let me out of here!" I shouted.

Finally, I heard her voice.

"What do you think?" she said, calling out to her audience once again, "should I give him what he wants? Should I let him out?"

The audience gave a raucous cheer and I felt the box tilting a final time, so that I slid helplessly towards the bottom, or top, or side, or whatever, I was so confused.

Finally, my weight breaks through the bottom of the box, which must've been made of some flimsy plywood. What's more interesting is that I fell a good few feet before making my landing. Maybe she had the box on strings and had just lifted it off the ground somewhat, but the more I became aware of my surroundings, the more I realized that simply wasn't the case.

I was looking out the audience like before, but I wasn't standing on solid ground anymore. I was kneeling and on Cassandra's hand as she held me out for everyone to see.

In pure horror, I observe the box in her other hand, reduced to the size of a matchbox, and if I had been reduced along with it... that would make me... gulp.

"And there you have it!" Cassandra announced, startling me somewhat as the cheering intensified, and the curtain slowly drew close.

"Cassandra!" I gasped out of breath. "What did you do to me?"

"Psh, it was nothing" she smiled, "just some simple size manipulation"

"S-s-size..? You can fix this, right?" I gasped, now gazing up at my giant sized ex.

"I COULD... but I'm not going to" she laughed.

"What? Why?"

"Hey, you told me I had lost touch with reality... and if magic really doesn't exist... then, there's no way you could grow back to normal size" she smiled.

"No, but I... but you..."

"Forget it, Bobby" she said, "you had your chance to date me, and you stepped on my dreams... you should be lucky I don't step on YOU"

"Cassandra... please, you can't..."

"Oh don't worry, I'm not going to hurt you" she said, "I'm much happier to just leave you this way. Imagine going through life like this... I think you're about 5, no, 4 inches tall."

"No!! please!" I squeaked again and then noticed Amanda was coming backstage to get me.

"Bobby!" she said, running up towards Cassandra. Finally! This was my chance to get someone on my side.

"Amanda!" I squealed, "Thank god you're here! Can you believe this bitch wants to keep me this size?"

"BOBBY!" Amanda gasped, "that's no way to talk to one of the greatest magicians of our time"

"What?" I asked, "you gotta be kidding me!"

"No, it's true, noone's ever seen magic like that before, she's gonna be big!" Amanda said.

"I wish I could be big!" I sighed, "she did this to me on purpose, and she's gonna keep me this way!"

"Bobby..." Cassandra sighed and then looked at Amanda, "I'm really sorry, miss. I tried to tell him that I simply haven't learned the re-growth spell."

"The hell you haven't!" I yelled, my feeble voice barely carrying high enough for them to hear.

"Bobby, it's okay" Amanda said, gently removing me from Cassandra's hand. "I can take care of you"

"Take care of me? What do you mean?" I asked, looking up at my girlfriend's giant face and eyes.

"Well, until she learns whatever spell she needs, you're going to be stuck that size" Amanda said.

"But she's NOT gonna learn it!" I screamed, "she's going to keep me like this"

"This spell has the habit of making people a little crazy" Cassandra sighed. "He'll calm down soon, and I promise I'll give you a call as soon as I learn the re-growth spell. I'm really sorry, Bobby"

"No, you're not!" I screamed, but I was tiring out. Amanda began to walk away with me tucked away in her arms.

"I know it's not your fault" Amanda said to Cassandra, "here's my phone number, please call us as soon as you've got the spell"

"Oh you got it" Cassandra smiled, watching with glee as Amanda took me away. I glanced back at my ex and notice she was giving me a sarcastic smile and wink back.

"Amanda..." I sighed, as she held me out in front of her, "how could you let her do this to me?"

"Bobby, please..." she whispered, trying to divert attention away from us, "calm down, little guy"

"No, I'm not a LITTLE guy! I'm a normal guy!" I squeaked, realizing now how silly I looked saying that. Noone besides Amanda was even able to hear my tiny voice.

"It's okay, Bobby" she said, in a warm voice. "I'll keep you safe, I'll take care of you."

"But Amanda..." I sighed.

"No more" she said, very authoritatively, "no offense, but you're not really in a position to be making demands. So for right now, I'm gonna keep you somewhere you'll be quiet."

"Huh?" I asked, raising an eye brow.

She then loosened her top a little bit and dropped me inside, keeping me nestled between her breasts which was now both bigger than I was. I would've been angry, but well... I was a straight guy.

I guess it could be worse...