- Text Size +
"How much longer do we have to be here?" I sighed, finding myself kicking the side of the purse in frustration.

"Relax, hon" Amanda said, still trying on clothes from Express as I remained on the floor with her cell phone, make up and various stuff within her purse.

On the bright side, I at least got to see her model the outfits for me after she tried them on, but still.

"I'm just trying to get your mind off it, Bobby" Amanda said, "staying in the house would've only made you depressed"

"And this doesn't?" I sighed. "It's dark in here"

"Is this better?" Amanda said, and I heard the grinding sound of her purse unzipping, briefly revealing her, about half dressed in the fitting room. I took a curious glance up before I was again covered by a tank top that she threw over the top of the purse. By the time I could see again, she was fully clothed. I couldn't catch any breaks today.

"So Amanda, have you decided on anything yet?" I asked, impatiently tapping my foot. Suddenly, I felt the ground rising under me and tripped, falling backwards.

"Yeah, I'm done, Mr. Impatient" Amanda chuckled, having lifted the purse without warning and thrusting it (and me) along with her out of the fitting room.

She had in her arms a small collection of clothes, which she then draped over the front counter and proceeded to buy.

"Oh, I love that purse" the cashier tsked, and Amanda chuckled, throwing the purse up on the counter for her to see.

Unfortunately, she had completely neglected to re-zip the purse, leaving me perfectly exposed in front of the blonde teenaged "Express" employee who let out a loud gasp.

"Oh my..." she said, in a very ditzy voice "is that a little man in your purse?"

I nervously backed away, trying desperately to hide in the darkness, but it was too late. I had been spotted.

"Heh yeah" Amanda sighed, sounding as embatassed as I was, yet not seeming to have any trouble with finding me and lifting me from her purse for 'Natalie' (I read her name tag) to see. "This is my boyfriend"

"Wow..." Natalie sighed, mesmerized as if looking into a crystal ball of sorts. I gave her a sort of confused stare back. If she hadn't been such a ditz, I might've been more afraid for my life, but somehow I was actually more embarassed for HER.

"Yeah" Amanda said.

"He's so little..." she said, repeating the obvious, "can I hold him?"

I nervously looked up at Amanda, who drew her hand back so Natalie was unable to seize me.

"Uh...no, I'm sorry" Amanda chuckled, "he's kinda had a rough day as it is... y'know... 4 inches tall and all"

"Oh?" Natalie said, sounding dissapointed at frst but then changing her demeanor somewhat, having thought of a plan. "If you let me hold him for like, 2 seconds, I'll give you a 90% off discount"

I chuckled nervously and looked up at Amanda. There's no way she'd go for that -- I mean, right?

"You promise you'd be careful with him?" Amanda asked.

WHAT?!

"Amanda what are you doing?" I squeaked, gazing forward at the smiling blonde behind the counter.

"Oh Bobby... please?" she asked, "there's some cute tops in here, and I promise I'll spend the money on something YOU want instead... please?"

I sighed.

"Okay..." I sighed, and let out a solemn gulp. Unfortunately, I didn't have much time to think before I had already been turned over to Natalie, who let out a childish giggle,

"Well aren't you just a tiny little fella?" she chuckled and lunged her finger at me in an attempt to poke me. I stumbled back and landed on her palm.

"Hey, be careful with him!" Amanda exclaimed.

"Right, right, I'm sorry, miss" Natalie said. "Hell, yknow what? I'll just give you these clothes for free... not every day I see someone like him. How'd this happen?"

"Some damn magician" I sighed.

"Magician? You mean like the chick signing books today?" Natalie asked.

"What chick?" I asked.

"I don't know, Cassandra something" she said, "some magician from the local area who did this fantastic trick... if you ask me, the whole thing's a hoax!"

"No it's not! I'M THE TRICK!" I exclaimed, "she shrunk me ... using magic"

"Really?" Natalie asked.

I slapped my head in disgust.

"Amanda, please" I said, staring back at my girlfriend, "help me out here"

"I thought you didn't need help" she teased. "You're such a big boy, remember?"

"Please just help me!" I moaned, sounding like an idiot, but I didn't care at this point. Finally Amanda helped me out of Natalie's hand and exited the store.

"Bobby, I hope you're not mad..." Amanda said.

"Actually, no, because she might've just helped us out" I said, "we need to find Cassandra and get her to undo this"

"You think she learned the spell already?" Amanda asked.

"Damn it, Amanda, she's not gonna learn the spell!" I snapped.

"Hey, don't talk to me like that!" Amanda frowned, setting me down in her purse again.

"I'm sorry" I sighed, "It's just... I... ugh..."

"Whatever. I'll take you to Cassandra, because I know how much it means to you" Amanda said, now walking towards the massive crowd of people that had gathered at the mall.

I struggled to see the calamitous scene before us but I heard incoherent yelling and screaming from all directions. I couldn't believe my freakin bitch of an ex girlfriend had become a star because of ME! Now here I was stuck in this purse for all eternity unless we did something about it - but what?

"Amanda!" I shouted, "you gotta get to the front of the line"

"I'm trying!" she sighed, "but it's tough"

In the process of pushing and jostling her way through rabid "fans", I was jerked and tossed all over the place.

"Cassandra!" Amanda shouted, but her voice was devoured by the crowd of people, many of which who were shouting the same thing. "Cassandra!! Bobby wants to talk to you"

Still, there was no reaction from the crowd or Cassandra. I bit my lip and sighed. There was only one way to get their attenton for sure.

"Amanda..." I sighed, "hold me up for them to see"

"Are you sure?" she asked.

"Yes... please" I sighed, and nervously awaited my fate. Amanda gently removed me from the purse and shouted again, now holding me out for all to see.

"Cassandra!"

The crowd turned and gasped to see little me sitting in her hand and Cassandra let out a small laugh but she didn't sound upset at all.

"Hey is that my friend Bobby?" Cassandra laughed, and then had her security men (2 men in black coats) come usher Amanda to the front of the line. "Bobby, hey. Put him here, Amanda"

Amanda sat me on the table in front of my giant ex-girlfriend, who had a stack of books to her left. She leaned forward so she'd be able to hear me speak.

"Bobby, is that you?" she asked.

"Of course it's me!!" I screamed, walking towards her in anger, "who else have you SHRUNK lately?"

"Whoa whoa, please..." Cassandra said, and then announced out to the crowd, "everyone give my friend Bobby such a round of applause for letting me shrink him!"

The crowd cheered uproariously, as many flash bulbs went off to commemorate this "sappy" moment. That's just great. My tiny picture would soon be plastered everywhere.

"Actually, Bobby I'm glad you're here" Cassandra smiled, but it was an uncomfortable smile - for me at least. "I wanted to ask you 2 something"

"Uh what?" Amanda asked.

"Well here's the thing" Cassandra tsked, "I'm a bit embarassed to say that I haven't yet learned how to unshrink you..."

"Big shock there" I said, crossing my arms in front of her. I was fairly confident she wouldn't squish me in front of all these people.

"Wait, if you're such a great magician..." Amanda asked, "why wouldn't you know how to unshrink him?"

"Well that's the embarassing part" she said, "it turns out, they only taught me shrinking spells my senior year and yes, I'm a good magician but not so good that I can just invent a spell and have it work... reliably anyway"

"Now look here..." I screamed, running at her massive face. Before I even got close she lifted me off the table, dangling me from the back of the shirt.

"I thought you'd be upset Bobby" she said, gently setting me back in Amanda's hand, "so I've decided to make you an offer"

"What kind of offer?" I asked.

"How'd you like to go on tour with me?" she asked, "now that I have some fame in this area, I'm going to be going on a magic tour, performing shows all over the country"

"Why would I want a part of that?" I asked.

"Ohh c'mon, it could be fun" she said, "you'd be my little assistant"

"Little assistant?" I asked, taking offense to that.

"Yeah, y'know... for certain tricks, you could help me out... the little ones anyway..." she chuckled, "I could hide you under a cup and have the audience guess which one? Or I could pull you out of a hat!"

"Look here!" I squeaked, "I won't be treated like some kind of show dog for you!"

"But Bobby, you're going to be that size anyway" Cassandra jeered, causing me to back off for the moment, "may as well make some use of it, and besides, while I'm touring, maybe I'll learn something from the senior magicians - learn how to re-size you"

"I don't know about this..." Amanda said, and our eyes met briefly enough to acknowledge the fact that we both sensed something was wrong with this.

"Oh c'mon..." Cassandra said, "this could benefit you too, Amanda. Of course I'd let you travel with us and you'd get a considerable share of the profits"

"You can't just BUY me!" I gasped.

"It's not buying... it's borrowing" Cassandra smiled, "you'll be normal size... someday. And until then, why not have some fun with it? Besides the crowd loves you - AM I RIGHT?"

At that moment, thunderous applause rang out for my tiny self. I gave a meager wave back, like some kind of mini celebrity.

"I won't do anything you're not comfortable with" Amanda said, in a firm tone.

"Good, because I'm backing out of this deal!" I shouted, "I won't be treated like a toy, we'll just have your cousin Sterling help us out"

"Sterling?" Cassandra asked, "I remember her from my sophomore year, yeah she's PRETTY good, but you're silly if you think she'll be able to reverse this spell."

"We'll see about that" I challenged and Amanda stormed out of the crowd with me tucked back into her purse, invoking groans of dissapointment from the crowd.

I let out a heavy sigh, with my head burrowed deep in my knees. Amanda opened the purse somewhat to look at me.

"You okay, hon?" she asked.

"Yeah" I sighed, but I really wasn't. "Amanda... thank you so much for not going along with her"

"Of course" she said, "I'd never do anything to harm you, I told you that. And I certainly wouldn't SELL you! You're my boyfriend"

"Thanks" I sighed and then added, "sure you still want to date someone as small as me? I don't foresee this spell ending any time soon"

"Oh don't talk like that" Amanda said, taking out her phone hastily, "in fact, I'll call Sterling right now, we'll get this straightened out -- and of course I still want to date you"

"You rock" I smile.

"You too, little..." she started, then stopped, "I mean, Bobby"

I smiled back.

Maybe I wasn't too familiar with magic just yet but I was glad to see that bitch Cassandra dissapear - for the moment anyway.