- Text Size +
Story Notes:
1HS
Stacy bobbed her head slowly, in tune to a silent beat no one else could hear. Sitting in a chair behind a large stage, she watched.

Spotlights were circling the stage madly with no rhyme or reason, seemingly trying to entertain the crowd in-between performers.

An unseen announcer cracked over the sound system.

"Our next performer prefers to only go by the name... Stacy! Let's give her a hand folks, she's gonna be singing for us!" He announced in an overly excited voice, given the occasion.

The crowd gave a round of applause, ready to welcome the next entertainer in what was proving to be a very boring night.

Clenching her fists tightly, Stacy used all her willpower to force herself onto her feet. She had never once performed in front of a crowd before, and was now discovering firsthand that she was among the millions who suffered from stage fright.

She made her way to the lone microphone set up in the center of the stage, feeling as if she were about to vomit from the pressure. Her nervous gait held more in common with a robot than anything human, but any less willpower and she'd have been on the floor unconscious.

Then, it happened.

Stacy had reached the microphone.

She looked over the crowd again, hoping for some guidance, a sign, anything!

The crowd only looked at her expectantly.

A loud gulping sound filled the auditorium.

Stacy knew she had made that sound upon reaching the mic, and it was certainly not part of her performance.

A few scattered members of the audience chuckled, seemingly catching onto her stage fright.

Stacy cleared her throat. The sound filled the great room again.

"Last time I do anything for a charity." She thought to herself as she forced her lips into an unusual grin, making a few of the closer audience members cringe.

Time seemed to come to a complete standstill.

How long had she been on stage? When was she starting? What was going on? Had she died of stage fright and her spirit was locked forever in this moment?

Stacy felt a great fear welling up inside her.

The speaker system cracked alive again, filling the room with the beautiful synthesized sounds Stacy had been waiting a hundred lifetimes for.

Nervously, she picked up the mic and held it to her lips, her breath catching and joining the synthesized keyboard playing over the speakers, though this remained mostly unnoticed.

Stacy closed her eyes.

Nothing existed now but the music, and with a start, she realized it was time.

It was one of her favorite songs. An older power ballad from the 80's, the brief moment before the words came spilling out filled her with confidence.

"You've got the touch!" She sang into her microphone, hoping the audience wouldn't mind her covering a song originally done by a male artist.

The audience neither had time to approve or disapprove, as the ground began shaking.

"You've got the power!" Stacy nearly shouted, holding out the note out longer than needed.

The crowd looked among each other, trying to identify the source of the shaking, but no clear answers were presenting themselves.

Stacy felt a warm tingling run through her, but seemed completely unaffected by the shaking as she continued her song.

A wave of panic spread through the crowd as many people began to get out of their seats.

The screams reached Stacy's ears over the music.

"They like it!" She thought, and at that moment was happier than she had ever been. "And when all hell's breakin' loose, you'll be riding the eye of the storm!" She continued.

And with that, all hell broke loose in the auditorium.

The crowd pointed and screamed as Stacy exploded upwards, growing to a massive size in seconds as she smiled greatly.

Her eyes still closed, Stacy felt amazing, though was still afraid stage fright would seize control if she looked over the crowd again.

Escaping wasn't possible for the crowd, Stacy's growth was just too fast.

Stacy's head bumped into the ceiling, crashing through it with her incredible growth before her head was outside the building, the cool air blowing through her.

Glad the crowd had decided to respect the song and quieted down, Stacy slipped her shoes off, so she could move more comfortably, and kicked her feet out as she moved about the stage, hoping it would give her act more feeling.

The stage felt strange, the carpet definitely not as smooth as it had looked backstage, as it seemed to be constantly shifting.

Determined to help her next performer, if only a little, she tracked the lumps in the carpet with her feet and put a bit more force into her steps, glad as she felt the carpet flatten beneath her soles.

Stacy's huge boots ran over the crowd, turning several of the frontmost rows into nothing more than a puree of bodies.

Flooding to the exits, Stacy's growth continued and the crowd fled in turn. As the boots came off, the temperature inside spiked upwards in humidity and heat.

Her knees now came above the roof of the building, and those who had managed to escape into the parking lot fled in terror. The enormous sole lifted over the roof of the building and came down, continually expanding the entire way down.

A concentrated mass of humanity found their lives ended beneath Stacy's monstrous toes, but there was no time to acknowledge their loss as the second foot aimed to repeat the actions of the first.

Even more innocent lives were lost beneath Stacy's second foot, as her feet had grown quite a bit more in the few moments between steps. The people were now small enough in comparison that the liquefied gore spurting between her toes was now unnoticed.

Stacy, ignored all the odd things happening around her. The room felt a great deal draftier, but the cool air was a relief after all the sweating she had done before starting. The music had stopped but the sound system was old, and she couldn't wait to hear what people thought if she managed to finish the song without music. Faint sounds of sirens and horns floated up to her ears in place of the guitars, and she clenched the mic harder, angry that people would be making noise during her performance.

Clenching her toes in annoyance, she gave the ground another firm stomp. "You're at your best when the road gets rough, you've been put to the test, but it's never enough!" She continued, feeling that the lyrics mimicked her own situation a bit, as she had indeed felt like performing was a great test set before her, but she had conquered it with ease.

At ground level, Stacy's feet had landed in such a way as to trap a young, unsuspecting couple between her ever growing big and second toe.

The young man and woman held each other as they ran, but the expanding walls of flesh grew in pace, and the humidity between the toes did little to aid their efforts. A sudden burst of adrenaline filled the young mans veins and he picked up his girlfriend, feeling it would be faster if he just ran with her in his arms.

He could see it, it was very close, but he was outrunning the growth now, and with an extra burst of speed, he and his companion were smeared into nothing by the toes above clenching, cracking the road beneath them.

"You've got the poweeeeeeeeer!" Stacy shouted now, knowing it was the end of the song. She knew some may have thought it silly that she chose to not only perform in a talent show, but to choose such an unusual song, rather than one typical to those who wished to show off their vocal range.

"I chose that song because I love it." Was all the explanation she gave as she opened her eyes.

The landscape that greeted her was that of a miniature cityscape, and she stepped back in surprise, taking out several lanes of held up traffic underfoot.

Stacy looked all around her, eventually finding the auditorium she performed in sticking out from beneath her heel. Carnage and destruction surrounded her on all sides, and she knew she was responsible for all of it.

A smile crossed her lips. Not because of all the death and destruction she had caused, no.

Rather, faced with a crowd several times larger than her previous one, and still holding a mic, Stacy felt completely at ease with the situation. She didn't feel the slightest bit of fear, and was in fact empowered as she held her microphone.

"Next, Till All Are One, again, by Stan Bush." Stacy announced and held her microphone above her head.
Chapter End Notes:
Constructive criticism is greatly appreciated. Thanks.