- Text Size +

            David stood alone on his perch, waiting in the silence and complete darkness. The ground he stood on was cold and soft. It had been many hours since he found himself in the place he currently resided. He had quite a torrent of emotions since then.

            It was then passing six in the morning. Everything was still pitch black, however there was a subtle dim blue glow emanating from the basement storm window high above him. Morning was approaching fast.

            “Well,” he said aloud, “I might as well rest, it is going to be a busy day, and today is almost here.”

            His thought trailed off as he leapt back with his arms behind him and he planted himself onto the soft ground. He rolled over and pulled himself together, and rested his head on a fluffed section of fabric. The next day was indeed going to be an adventure.

            His thoughts drifted through time and space as his mind raced through thousands of topics. All of what happened yesterday. In fact, come to think of it, yesterday was a strange day indeed. He tried to remember all of what happened, in an attempt to put it all straight in his mind so he too could understand it fluently.

*   *   *

            Yesterday started as any other day. I woke up, and proceeded about my day as usual. It was the start of another summer, school was over, and I had graduated tenth grade at the top percentile, with a three point nine five grade point average. This was no shock to me or anyone else, as it was expected of me to do such great things.

            Again, yesterday was a normal summer day. I probably won’t see many of my friends for a while, as many of them go on vacation, so I just have to make it through living at home with my parents for a few months then it’s off to the eleventh grade. Summer was a boring time for me, as nothing ever happened and yet this year how I would be so very wrong indeed.

            So where was I… oh yeah, summer, a very boring time to say the least. Time just seemed to pass me by so quickly during the school year, that it is summer before I even know it.

            And here I am again, getting off topic. But like I said, my mind drifts, but now I shall try to recall my adventure. Yesterday began like any other day, except I had the pleasure of chatting with one of my friends, Melanie. I thought this was cool, mainly because I always liked her, she never returned the favour, but it’s still in the back of my mind. During our discussion, we arranged a meeting in a park. I thought that was awesome, and quickly flipped through my parents and sped off to the requested park.

            Our appointed time was around six in the evening. So it wasn’t all that late, but it made the trees cast shadows. I wondered why she would have us meet in such a place so late, but it was Melanie and I trusted her, no matter how eccentric she seemed at times.

            I walked into the park as usual, but this was no usual park. It was like a mini forest in the city. It had trees all around, and if you were more than twenty feet away from the paved walkway, you couldn’t look back and see it. The trees were large and very thick. I continued walking, taking in all the sights and sounds of the place. I had to walk through the park to meet her where she requested, which she lived on the other side, so naturally I must go to her side, so I continued my walk.

            Some strange birds are in the trees, making eerie sounds with their whistles and chirps. While I continued, there must of been some cloud break above the trees, as the entire forest lightened up a bit with a fluorescent orange glow. Almost abruptly as it appeared, it disappeared. Queer smells begin to permeate the air, as I trudge through the underbrush. I notice something is off right away, the brush is getting higher.

            “Strange,” I said to myself in a rather quiet voice, as I continued my walk. I thought nothing of it, since I am now a good quarter mile from any civilization. I suggested this area to be completely natural, with very little human interference. A sudden wave of nausea hits me, and I am taken aback by a sudden pain in my heart and a burning in my eyes. The pain caused me to wince and fall back onto a tree, clutching onto my chest. Finally shut my eyes because of the pain. Everything goes quiet.

            I awaken some time later to find myself lying on the floor of the forest. I seem to be standing on some kinda of huge mat. It feels really old, as if it’s made of ancient fabric that breaks upon the slightest pressure. I notice some very intricate patterns in the mat, and very deep ridges and groves all throughout it, and it reminds me of something I have seen before. As I trail into deep thought, trying to figure out where I have seen this pattern before, I am suddenly startled by the loudest sound I have ever heard in my life…

            “David!” A female voice blasts through the air, the voice wasn’t what startled me as it seemed far off and distant, and it was the immediate crash right before and after. I rack my brain, as it tries to process everything as it is happening. I hear another thundering crash, along with the crunch of many unknown objects. I am still trying to figure out what is going on when I hear it again, another crash followed by shortly after by: “David!”

            This time, closer and more recognizable, I could tell whose voice that was. It was Melanie. Oh no, could I have been late? Could she be now looking for me? How long was I out? A Million questions went through my mind all at once, when all of a sudden a massive thud, accompanied by a loud crunch and a massive vibration was all felt all at once. I look around trying to figure out what the entire hubbub was coming from, and to my disbelief, standing right behind me was a huge shoe! It was massive, larger than a whole bus, and even then some, probably bigger than my house! It was incredibly ridiculous big, and it was white in colour.

            “What the heck?” Was all my mind could say as I followed the shoe up. It led to a leg, very unsurprising, and that leg led to a body. And this body led to a face, and a face I know all too well. It was Melanie, and she was looking straight down at me. She was probably a whole two feet away from me to her, she was incredibly huge! Everything now fit perfectly together; every crash and thundering noise was from her merely walking upon the ground. And the rhythmic crunch was her stepping on things that were instantly crushed and flattened beneath her weight. Also, a picture of where I had seen this design from before was a leaf, a dead and dying leaf. I was on a dead leaf, in a massive forest, with Melanie staring down at me, god I must be only a few inches tall!

            I couldn’t speak, I was just in complete awe of her presence, standing so incredibly tall, and looking so powerful just amazed me. What the heck has happened to make any of this possible? Yet before I could think any further, she moved.

            Her left foot came forward, I flinched as she set it down about sixteen feet in front of me, and she knelt down, causing a deep compression with her right knee as it sank into the forest floor. She brought her face down lower and rested her torso upon her upright knee, as to get a better view of me. She moved  her hair out of her face and behind her shoulders with her free hand.

            “Hiya!” Said she,

            I was almost knocked off my stolen ground with that simple word, as the power of her enthusiastic voice was enough to topple an entire building. I cringed as my ears rang out, and all I could mutter was:

             “Woah… What happened, Melanie?”

            “I shrank you!” She said with a smile and slight giggle. She began to speak softer as she noticed my general discomfort at her loud voice. Being respectful to my new found stature, she spoke quietly this time. “I just kinda thought it would be cool if I could have you as a real pet, you know what I mean? We are great friends in all, and when we wrote that story on Yahoo, I always pictured you as being the little mouse Mason. So I decided, ‘Why not shrink David down and have him as a real pet?’ Wouldn’t that be great?!” She spoke the last sentence with some enthusiasm, all the while smiling.

            Once my mind processed what was going on, all those questions came swarming back into my mind. “Wait, wha’? How did you manage to shrink me, Melanie?”

            “Oh it came from an idea I got while writing my book. I did some research and I started learning some form of magic, Transfiguration, pretty sure you know what that is. But I progressed rather quickly, and finally got the correct spell to work, tested it out a few time, first on objects then animals. Then I got the courage to ask you here so I could go through with it, not sure it would work… And lookie here, it did!” Spoke she, with some reassuring gestures with her eyes.

            Even her eyes are larger than me. A simple coloured area, absolutely massive to me, as she gazed upon me with wonder and excitement. I certainly didn’t want to make her mad, but I was finally starting to wrap this all around in my mind. After a short pause, and a quick deep breath

            “So then… You’re telling me you did some research into Transfiguration, and not only Basic Transfiguration, but Arcane Transfiguration just so you could shrink me and play with me?”

            “Yep! Well, for the most part. I love magic; it is one of my favourite things to think about. And I just so wanted to have you as a pet, and I think this is going to be so much fun! I mean, don’t you think so?”

            I couldn’t help but to agree, as she was so persuasive, and this is already turning out to be pretty cool. It could help me a bit for me to get out of my house…

            “Sure,” I agree, “I believe it could be quite a load of fun.” I smiled sheepishly, and I believe she sees this, as she laughs at my response.

            “So then, do you want to get going then David?” She asked in an inquisitive tone.

            “Sure, where do you want me to… hey!” Before I could even get my sentence out her long slender fingers wrapped around me and I found myself caught within the grip of her forefinger and thumb. She held me up to her face and smiled.

            “Sorry, but this will be faster, hope you don’t mind.”

            “Oh not at all, just a bit of a shock is all.”

            “Good! Because it wouldn’t have really mattered if you said no anyway now would it?” She said as she laughed and began to walk in another direction. Her incredibly long legs covered what appeared to be miles in mere minutes of walking. I look into her face as she begins to concentrate on walking home, wondering if it all was really going to be as fun as I’d hoped. She lowers her hand to her waist and drops me into her palm and carries me there. A fun ride nonetheless, interesting too. I also notice it is getting dark, and recently she has been getting to bed early, yet waking early as well, for what I am uncertain.

*   *   *

            Once she made it inside, she closed her fist around me and put it to her side in a natural swing, rocking me back and forth inside her hand. As she walked nonchalantly into her house, she greeted her parents and sister, and then walked into her room. I could only guess she must have been walking downstairs as I felt temporary weightlessness as I fell within her hand. Finally we stopped moving, my world stopped shaking, just as I got to rest. Suddenly she opened her hand and I fell onto a massive navy blue shirt. So soft, it felt so good to my already tired body. I collapsed onto it and look up at my friend. She looked down at me and smiled.

            “Now, a simple rule before we go to bed tonight, for tonight at least, because you don’t know my room too well, don’t get off my shirt. I don’t want you getting lost, forgotten, or hurt just yet. Alright?”

            “Yes, Ma’am!” I say as I put my hand to my head in a semi salute. She smiled and patted my head twice with her index finger. It was so huge! Each pat of hers pushed me down quite a way, but she only did it twice. For that I could manage.

            She quickly proceeded, after patting me, to walk over to the other side of the room. I watched in awe at the flawlessness of her flight. She walked to a pile of clothing and picked it up and mindfully set back the clothing she did not want. She walked back over to me and reached over me for something behind me. I tried to look up to see what it was, but she quickly pulled it to her and she spun on the spot and said: “Be right back!” And with that she tread out the door rather quickly.

            I stood upon the shirt, and wondered about what I had just lived through. Was this all real? Could this possibly be happening to me? A million more questions circled my mind, as I thought to myself. And before I knew it, she was back. She was holding her jeans and T-shirt in her arms, as she had suddenly changed into her P.J.’s, which were lightly fitted. I watched as she put away laundry.

            “Alright David, sorry to shrink you and leave you alone, but now it is time for bed, we have an early morning tomorrow, and a lot to do before tomorrow is done! I will see you in the morning, and remember, don’t leave my shirt! I will talk to you tomorrow morning!” She spoke as she shut the room light off. Everything instantly went black as I went blind. I could hear her thunder across the floor and the creak of her bed, until all was quiet again.

*  *  *

            David could hear her breathing in the distance, and he wondered how well she slept. All he knew himself was the rhythmic sound of her breath was slowly making him drowsy. After setting things straight in his mind, he slowly fell into slumber.

*  *  *

            Melanie rose out of her bed like a mountain, her form shadowed by the morning sun that was just beginning to come over the distant horizon. To the tiny man sharing the room with her it was almost an epic sight, one that inspired poems, and even religions as she sat up, and the sheet she had covered herself with throughout the night rolled over her like a wave, spilling onto the bed as she opened her mouth wide, giving him a good view of it just as the light shone into it, causing the spit to sparkle like pillars of diamond as it stretched to and fro inside her maw. She stretched her arms high into the air, lifting her shirt over her covers, before closing her mouth and lowering her arms and blinking a few times.

            "Good morning!" he calls to her, and Melanie seems to take a moment looking around for the source of the call, before her eyes drift down to David, sitting there below her. She can’t help but smile as the memories of the previous day come flooding back into her mind, and she recalls the promises she made to him about her eating someone today.

            "Good morning yourself little one," she said, leaning down and then lightly plucking him up between her fingers gently, before dropping him onto her palm and holding the one inch tall boy there, just staring at him, as if trying to cement every detail of him into her memory, before she giggles, tossing off the rest of her covers and spinning until her feet were hanging off the bed. Lowering them to the floor, David heard a sharp thud as they landed, despite how lightly she must have been trying to step.

            "Ready for the start of a brand new day?" she asks him with a smirk as she steps out of her room and into the hall outside. Luckily her family were never early risers. In fact most would be asleep until noon or later. That gave her a lot of time to play with her new spell, and possibly to play around with any toys she might pick up along the way. Taking one last look around she makes her way over to the stairs that lead up into the public portions of the house, her family’s sleeping habits aided by the fact that their rooms were all located in basement, which used to be, and still could be used as, a bomb shelter.

            "I’m ready for whatever you have planned," he tells her, getting a good look around at all the cement walls, and even a few bits of lead shielding that were peeking through the worn away parts. Melanie, still giggling, makes her way up the stairs as quietly as possible, reaching the top without so much as a creek, and then exiting the basement through the seemingly heavy steel door, which shut without as sound as she pulled it too again.

            "Good, then the first thing I’m going to do today is, brush my teeth," she said, and without farther discussion she opens her mouth and tosses little David inside, his body flying between her huge gums and teeth, and then landing with a squishing sound on her tongue, sliding along its soft, rough surface until he was almost at her throat. He half expected to go over the edge, but Melanie made her tongue cup around him, pressing him up into the roof of her mouth, letting him sit between her tonsils and stare down her throat for a moment, before she pushed him back toward the front.

            "Uh uh, ew an o go ove us e," she said, her voice like thunder claps around David, and barely intelligible because of the way she tried to keep her tongue still for him. His body was already coated with her spit, he had to wipe some out of his eyes to see the outside world, and what he saw was awesome. The hallway was framed by her teeth and gums, giving the view the look of a picture, and looking toward the edges he got a sight that few people would ever see, his sight of a smile from inside the mouth.

            "Woah," was all he could say, laying there on her tongue, and then he heard her laugh, a deep, rich sound as the view began to move. Of course, this movement caused him to start sliding around a bit, and he had to grab onto the surface, or at least try to, though his best effort seemed for naught as he moved back. Melanie again had to aid him, and he realized just how vulnerable he was. If she didn’t stop him, he would simply slide off the back of his tongue, and get swallowed down to her belly, which chose that moment to let out a loud growl.

            "Okay, that’s kind of scary," he whispered, hoping his voice didn’t carry, and as it was Melanie made no response as she kept moving through her home, toward the upstairs bathroom. Once inside she smiled at the mirror, walking up to it and then opening her mouth wide, allowing her and David to view the situation.

            To her it was awesome. The feeling was like a light tickle on her tongue, with the taste of clothes and meat to accompany it as her spit washed over David, carrying his flavor everywhere around her tongue. To David the view was actually kind of scary. It looked to him like he was right under her teeth, and at any moment she could choose to let them drop, creating a blood mess of bones and flesh that she could have just gulped down.

            "Heh, just wish I wasn’t so turned on by this," says David, his voice not carrying enough for Melanie for her to hear. As it was she was still smiling as she reached forward, turning on the sink and grabbing a toothbrush from the cup beside the faucet. Passing it under the running water she grabbed a tube of toothpaste and covered the bristles with it, and then, chuckling, she held it up to her mouth, letting David get a good look at it, before she plunged it inside, closing her lips around it.