- Text Size +
Story Notes:

A story I had begun months ago. Currently mauling over the idea of continuing it.

Kate came back home in a hurry, closing the door behind her with an unusual force. She removed her shoes and socks, went up the stairs and locked herself in her bedroom, this time treating the door with much more gentleness, because she knew her behavior downstairs had already attracted too much attention from her family. Unless they weren't home yet, which she hoped. The last thing she needed right now was a so-called ''family roundtable'' where she had to lie and pretend that her mother, father and sister's insights were actually helping her.

She took a kleenex with her left hand and dried the tears hiding behind her glasses. She sat down on her computer chair and started to immerse herself into the virtual world, making a desperate effort to make the memories of the day disappear from her mind.

Games, news, chatting, forums, cute kittens on Youtube, - anything would be better than...

Sure enough, it took less than an hour for the images and words from the previous afternoon to come back with a vengeance.

''Freak show'', one voice said.

''Total nutcase. She'll do anything for attention'', sneered another.

''Nice dress, fattie.''

And then the laughter. Oh, the laughter. About a dozen voices giggling at her, each second of it hurting like a punch to the gut, then and now. But it wasn't even the worst part. The worse part was an apology.

''I'm sorry Kate, I'm so sorry. They made me. I didn't think it would be like this...'', whispered Delilah, her best friend. Tears were starting to appear in her eyes, but she brushed them away. ''And you know... you're not fat.''

The young woman cried even more. Like the jokes on her slightly above-average weight were what mattered.

''Yeah, suuure. I got humiliated, my best friend betrayed me, I'll never be able to look at any of these girls in the eyes ever again, but hey, I'm not fat! That's something to be happy about! Why am I complaining, really ?'' cried Kate at her computer screen, wishing she could have said it back to Delilah at that moment.

She was now sobbing harder than ever, the Kleenex box besides her. The reality of the situation was truly hitting home. She was alone, again. No best friend (in truth, no friends at all). No group. Nothing to look forward to. The next few years of college were going to be just like the previous ones, who were just like high school. A lonely, sad purgatory full of boredom and the occasional bully, who always appeared at the precise moment when she thought her life was starting to get bearable.

There was never going to be any rest for her, she thought. It's true what they say, she thought: Hell is other people.

After she stopped crying, she took a quick hot shower, put on her pajamas, then laid on her bed for a few moments, trying to relax. If navigating the Internet was not going to work, then maybe emptying her brain without any distractions could. She closed her eyes, trying to concentrate on her heartbeat, then on her breathing.

It was actually working better than her computer. She almost felt at peace for a moment.

Then the unbelievable happened. Something - someone - touched her cheek. It was a tiny hand, easily small enough to enter her nostril. She opened her eyes. A tiny man, about 5 inches tall, was standing on her bed. He looked about the same age as she was. He didn't seem to mind that he was completely naked, nor the fact that Kate was more than twelve times his size and infinitely stronger than him. However, his voice did shake a little when he finally spoke.

''Um... Hi there. P-Please don't scream. I'm not sure my ears could take it.''