- Text Size +
''What the...''

Kate sat up immediately and put herself as far away as she could from the small creature she just saw while staying on her bed. The sudden movement knocked the tiny man off his feet. She watched in awe as he slowly got back up, checked if he had any bruises or injuries, then dismissed it by a wave of his hand, as if to say ''I'm okay!''. Then he spoke, in a voice that Kate had trouble understanding, even though she was only a few feet away.

''I'm sorry. I must have startled you. My name is Mark. You must be Kate.''

Kate answered, still in disbelief. ''Oh my God. You're totally real. I'm not dreaming or anything. What happened to you? Are you even human? How long have you been like this? How do you know my name? Why...''

''Please Kate,'' he interrupted gently. ''I know you have a lot of questions, and I'd be more than happy to answer them, but I'm not quite comfortable doing it here, since I basically have to yell for you to understand me. Maybe you could take me to your computer desk, and we can talk there more easily.

''Sure.'' She slowly approached her hand towards Mark. She started by touching his head with her finger, then slowly descended to his chest and arms.

''I still can't believe it. You're real.''

''Yeah, you've said that before,'' he replied, smiling. Kate let out a nervous laugh.

''I'm afraid of hurting you if I grab you. Here, maybe it will be easier like this.'' She opened her hand in front of him, and he quickly got on her palm. ''He can fit in my hand'' Kate thought. ''This is insane...''

She sat down on her computer chair and let Mark climb down from her hand to her desk. ''Can you hear me okay?'' Mark asked.

''Yeah, much better now.''

''Good. So... I believe you have a couple of questions for me. And I do owe you an explanation for being in your bedroom.''

Kate was beginning to feel more relaxed. Looking at Mark, however, it didn't last.

''Oh dear... you're naked! You must be cold, and you must want something to wear. Let me check.'' She began to get up, but Mark interrupted.

''No no, don't bother, it's fine. I don't mind being naked.'' When he saw the giantess raise an eyebrow, he quickly added ''...Well, not anymore. I mean, I've been stuck like this for months now. To be honest, the fact that I'm naked completely slipped my mind. You just forget about it after a while... But I understand it makes you feel uncomfortable. I'll cover myself up, no problem. I'll make myself something to wear... Do you have a Kleenex I can take? And a needle?''

''What? Oh, sure.'' She answered. She already had the tissue in hand, and just happened to have a few spare needles in one of her drawers. ''Here you go.''

''Thanks. Now, let's see if I remember how to do that...''

After a few minutes of folding and ripping, and the occasional help from Kate, Mark was now wearing a perfectly acceptable loincloth made of one third of a Kleenex, the needle safely tied to his side.

''This may come in handy,'' he said, looking at it. ''In case a cockroach or a spider attacks me when you're not around.''

''Yeah... So, you still haven't explained what you were doing in my room,'' Kate said, smiling.

''Oh, sorry about that. As I've said before, I've been like this for a few months or so. Or at least it felt like months. I've tried to survive in the streets, with varying degrees of success. Then I decided that, tiny or not it would be safer for me to sneak inside a house. Best decision I ever made!'' He smiled.

''I figure. Food must be a lot easier to get. And there's much less critters. So how long have you been in our house?''

''About two weeks, I think. For the first week, I've stayed downstairs. Food was abundant for sure, but I was always afraid your parents might discover me. They aren't the nicest people, are they?''

''Well, actually, they're not that b... No, you're right, they're not,'' Kate replied grimly.

''Sorry about that. Anyway, after a while I managed to catch a ride upstairs on your little sister's foot. Took all the strength in my body to hang on. Fortunately and almost miraculously, she did not notice me. I stayed in her room for about two days, until I found out she wasn't allowed to bring food into her room. So I moved in yours, so to speak.''

''Wow. That must have been pretty bad. I hope you're eating well here.''

''Are you kidding? You almost never eat downstairs. I always had plenty of crumbs to eat from.''

''I don't know if I must take that as a thanks, or as a sign that I'm a pig when I eat, making a huge mess.'' She laughed. ''So, I'm still curious... How did you shrink?''

Mark began to answer, but was interrupted by a knock on the door.

''Kate? It's me! Coming!''

''Oh no... Mark, it's my sister. You've gotta hide.''