- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

Meet Nick and Hannah, a couple who were put together due to an accident during graduation...

The sun shone brightly into the window, beating down it’s excruciating heat upon a Twin-sized bed.  On the bed were pink, flowery sheets, and below them, a woman who seemed to fit them.  A pair of soft, pale hands were clenching onto a bedspread filled with Lily flowers.  Attached to them was a face, laying on it’s side, her long, sandy blond hair flowing down her rosy cheeks and shoulders.  Her thin, pink lips wore a smile as she slept, head turned away from the light, as if she were enjoying a calm, soothing dream.

“Hannah?  HH?  Hannah Hill, it’s time to get up!”  A deep voice entered the room as a 5’2, medium-built man walks across the floor.  Clothed in a blue sweat suit, he walked over towards the bed and knelt down, bringing his face right next to the sleeping Hannah’s.  His long, blond hair almost had a ‘surfer’ feel to it, as he smiled and looked at the sleeping beauty before him. Raising a hand in the air, he slowly pushed back a strand of hair in front of the girl’s closed eyes and softly spoke to her.  “Hey, Hannah, it’s past 9.  Time to get up, sleepy head!”

Hannah’s consciousness stirred slightly at hearing the voice of her friend, Nick Ringer.  Her dreamless sleep had been cut short, or so she thought.  Hannah had always been a heavy sleeper.  Late to bed and late to rise, people always told her.  She always counted on Nick to wake her up in the morning, though she never really wanted to get up when he woke her.  Still, hearing the voice of her boyfriend did help her, slightly, and the thoughts of what she could do about the problem she was having.

Unknown to Nick, Hannah had never meant to ask him to date her.  It was a funny story, really.  Hannah was the same age as both Nick and another friend, Richard Gale.  The three of them had always spent time together in school and even managed to all snag a job at the local skating rink when they were sophomores.  Although she loved being around Nick, she had quickly fallen for Richard.  He was tall, much like her, and had a warming personality.  He was generous and much more understanding than Nick was.  Nick was more spontaneous, and thought less before he spoke to her.

When they were all graduating, Hannah wanted to surprise Richard with a gift, and wanted to ask him to go out with her, as boyfriend and girlfriend.  She’d set everything up at the skating rink.  She’d dropped a note where she knew he’d find it, leading him to come to the rink after closing one night.  She’d gotten permission from the owner to decorate the outer rink with roses, Richard’s favorite.  He would arrive and come to the back gate, where Hannah, in a pink dress and matching roller blades, would be waiting for him.

When the time came, however, Richard didn’t show up.  Instead, Nick had gotten the letter and she was utterly shocked at the time.  He thought she was asking him out on the date.  Feeling incredibly embarrassed at seeing Nick dressed up; she simply couldn’t tell him the truth.  She simply smiled when he came, and skated with him.  They began dating after that, much to Hannah’s dislike.  She loved being around the guy, but her heart just wasn’t in it for him.

A few months afterwards, Hannah had planned to break up with Nick and tell Richard about what happened.  She was going to come clean, completely.  That’s when the bad news came.  The night she was going to break it off and tell Richard how she felt, he’d come over to see her and Nick.  As he came there, he came with a woman, someone called Cindy.  He told them he and Cindy were going to get married the following year.  Hannah was absolutely devastated, and retracted the information back into her mind, never wishing to reveal the truth. 

Hannah was slowly waking up, thinking about Richard and Cindy.  She’d grown to hate that woman over the years.  Sure, she’d attended their wedding as the Maid of Honor, and she always acted happy towards her, but she hated her.  She wanted her out of the picture.  Cindy was always so mean to Richard that she could see.  She was ordering him around and yelling at him in public!  How horrible is that?  Oh, how she wanted to just run up to that woman and give her a fist full of Hannah power.   She couldn’t, though.  As much as she loved Richard, she couldn’t take her frustration out on his wife.  He loved her, and she wanted him to be happy.

“Mmmm…five more minutes, honey.”  Hannah was half-yawning as she muttered these words, pulling the top of the covers over her hair, trying to block out all light.  It was clear that she did not want to get up that morning.  Nick, of course, knew this was going to happen.  Hannah always resisted getting up in the morning.  She always had, for as long as he’d known her.  It was a miracle she was always able to find an afternoon-time job and never got scheduled for mornings.  She’d never make it in life if she had morning shifts!

Nick knew exactly what he had to do.  With a smile on his face, he threw his hands on either side of the girl’s stomach, slowly pushing the bed spread under her body.  As he was pushing, his arms wrapped around her stomach and he quickly yanked her 5’8 form off the bed, into his arms.  She was upside down at the time and immediately woke up, kicking and screaming.  “Hey!  Nick!  Okay!  I’m awake!  I’m awake, now put me down!”

That girl was trying to claw at Nick, but he simply held her body against his, her bare legs and feet kicking at his head.  Slowly walking towards the doorway, he headed downstairs, carrying both Hannah and the bedspread, laughing and jokingly speaking to her.  “Nope!  It’s straight to breakfast for you, Missy!  I’ve got to have my darling full of food and energy if we’re to have fun with Richy and Cindy tonight!”

 

Chapter End Notes:

As the two go downstairs, how well will their vacation go?  What will Hannah do about being around Richard for so long, knowing her feelings?