- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

Cindy decides to take Nick with her when she heard Richard and Hannah leaving the bedroom...

Richard and Hannah's discussions was far from alone. They figured that the two others were fast asleep, but they were far from it, to be honest. Cindy had been trying to get to the sleep when Richard had come back into the room, but she had not been asleep, thinking about what Hannah had told her and planning things that she was planning to do with and to Hannah the next day. As much as her actions said otherwise, she still felt quite bitter for what Richard had done to her earlier that day. She wouldn't be able to just let that go.

Her eyes had opened up upon hearing the bathroom door open and the slight illumination that shined on her covers from before Richard turned the lights of the bathroom out. She stayed in her laying position, carefully listening to the sounds he made as he walked over to the bed. The bed's springs had creaked when he sat down. She was expecting to hear them creak again as he laid himself down for bed, but that didn't happen. Instead, she heard him walking off. As soon as he'd cleared the room, she took her covers off and looked to see him moving towards the kitchen. Looking at the nightstand, he realized that Hannah was gone, too.

Curiosity overtaking her, she was planning to head off to the kitchen. Before she left, though, she looked back, towards Nick. If Richard and Hannah were off, talking about something they didn't want the two of them to know, Cindy thought it might be a good idea to take Nick with her. Although she didn't really like Nick for being part of what had made Richard hurt her, if Hannah was off, doing something in secret, it might be better for Nick to watch as well, not to mention the yelling she'd obviously get if she left him in there, by himself. She poked around, waking Nick up and collected him into her hand. He'd gotten up and nearly screamed as he felt his body being moved, but was quickly quieted down by Cindy. “Shh...your girlfriend and Richard just went off somewhere. We're going to find out where. Got it?”

Nick blinked at what she said, but nodded his head in agreement. He felt that, since he was already in her hand, he didn't really have a choice in the matter. He wrapped his arms around her finger and tightly hugged onto it as he agreed. “L-Lead the way!” Cindy looked won at him and almost started to smile as she saw and felt what he was doing. Nick depended on her right now. He was clenching onto her finger, like she was the only thing protecting from a fall to certain doom. Before long, the two of them had slowly crept out of the room and were peeking into the kitchen. Cindy's head was around the corner of the hallway, and her hand next to it, the finger holding Nick in the air as they looked at the scene in the kitchen.

“What happened to the Richard I love?” The message had been the first thing that Cindy and Nick had come to hearing. Nick didn't quite hear it, but Cindy could, her ears being much bigger and more sensitive than Nick's. Her jaw dropped as she heard the situation, and heard what Hannah was talking about, with Cindy abusing Richard and how she'd changed him, for the worse. Her hand shook and her face got red. Nick nearly yelped as the finger he held onto started shaking around, too. Whispering, loudly, into Cindy's ear, he tried to find out what happened, as he leaned further into the finger, trying to stay balanced. “Wha-...Hey! What's wrong?! What happened?! What--”

He was immediately silenced when another large finger came up, pushing against his face, keeping him quiet. Cindy was quivering a little, but she maintained a slow and quiet pace as she backed away, taking Nick back to the bedroom with her. Her finger was on his face the entire time, not wanting him to start yelling out again and alter the other two to the fact that they were nearby. Although Nick was incredibly scared at the sudden change, he held onto Cindy's hand as tight as he could. He had to depend on her, for right now.

As they got back to the bedroom, Cindy sat down on the bed and set Nick on the nightstand, where his 'bed' was. Taking a moment to let go of Cindy's finger, finding her warmth and soft touch to be surprisingly comforting, he came back down on the nightstand and looked up at her. She was sitting next to him, still over half her body towering over him. She looked down at him with an expression that almost looked regretful and sad. He called up to her again. “Why are we back in here? What happened in there? What did they say?!”

Cindy couldn't believe what she'd heard enough to want to say it to Nick. She was flustered and hurt by what had happened. Hannah had told Richard that she loved him, and Cindy wasn't sure how to handle that. At first, she wanted to burst into that room, with Nick in her palm and expose those two, making them aware that they'd heard every word of that conversation. On another hand, she also didn't want that. She seemed to already be in a bad place with her husband, and she didn't need that place to get any worse by showing them that they'd been spying on them.

She laid herself down on the bed, her head now level with Nick. Reaching forward, she softly patted him on the head and rubbed along his hair for a moment, almost smiling as she did so, hearing footsteps from the hallway. “My little Nick, nothing happened that you need to know right now. We need to be off to sleep, before they come back. I'll tell you all about what happened tomorrow, okay? For now, you must sleep. We can't let them realize that we were still up.” Her other hand then came forward and, as gently as she could, rested her little friend in the pillowcase, ready for bed. “Night night, little guy.”

Nick had blinked at first, not knowing what to make of how Cindy was acting. He could hear the footsteps from Richard re-approaching the room, though. Before he had a chance to say anything, he'd been pulled up and into the bed. Cindy's touch was, just as her attitude had been lately, gentle. It almost felt like she was making sure not to hurt him. She even wished him good night, in a sweet tone. Could she really have changed? He didn't know, but he simply smiled towards her and waved his hand as he pulled the 'sheet' up. “Night, Cindy.”

The two laid down and closed their eyes just as Richard and Hannah were walking back into the room, ready for bed, themselves.