- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

Richard and Hannah are in the kitchen, readying breakfast, when Hannah notices some elemental shifts and Richard starts talking about the night before...

Richard wasn't entirely sure about leaving Nick in Cindy's care that morning. He wasn't so sure about her intentions, or about how she had been acting that night. Her change was just so sudden and so drastic. Could someone really have wholeheartedly changed that much all at once? He didn't know, but what he did know was that Cindy seemed to be acting and treating both Nick and Hannah with care, and until he had a reason to doubt her and keep them away from her, she deserved a chance to prove herself. With Hannah up and ready for breakfast, he decided he would leave Nick in Cindy's care. After all, how hard could it possibly be to take someone from the bedroom to the kitchen?

Not much time had passed since Richard had gotten to the kitchen. When he'd started digging through the refrigerator, he tried to think of what Hannah would even be able to eat. She was smaller than most foods, so would soft foods seem harder or thicker to her? It obviously would be thicker, but what about hardness? Would she be able to bite into some foods, now that they were so much bigger than she was? He had taken a few minutes to question Hannah about this, trying to find out what he could make her, which she just decided on eggs or yogurt. They were always soft, and probably the softest breakfast food, other than yogurt. Richard decided to prepare both of them for her, and for Nick, whenever he and Cindy arrived.

Richard had a plate over on the counter, next to a large, square, black stove, adorned with four spiral-designed burners. One of the burners was on, a hot pan on top of it, with an egg being cooked. Hannah was standing on the counter, the plate separating her from the stove, where Richard stood. She was still getting used to the situation of being smaller. Her fingers curled and uncurled almost constantly and she wiped her hand across her forehead. The heat from the stove was reaching her, and it made it feel like a hot, summer day. The idea that a stove could influence her environment so much was incredible, as was everything else.

“Are you okay, Hannah? It looks like you're sweating.” said Richard, leaving the stove for a moment and lowering his face down to the counter, right in front of her. He had finally seen the effects the stove was having on her, and wished to take her someplace else. “If it's too hot over here, I can take you over to the table or something. I know you're not exactly fond of the heat.” Hannah looked up towards him, smiling at his kindness and nodded towards him. “Yeah. Thanks, Richard.” She waited for him to present his palm to her and, after wiping off another stream of sweat, she hopped into his hand and rode across the kitchen.

As she was set down on the table, she let herself sit on the long, white tablecloth. Richard sat down at the table with her, for a moment, informing her that it would still be a few more minutes before the food would be ready. He sat his arms on the table, directly in front of her, and let out a sigh. She took this opportunity to walk up to him and lean her body over his arm. As if she were leaning over the side of a couch, she leaned herself on his arm. The hairs on the arm brushed against her arms and her shirt tightened as she looked up at his face. He had a look of almost concern as he peered down at her.

Richard had one thing on his mind, and that was what had happened the night before. Hannah coming out with all of that information, promising to help him with the problem with Cindy, and telling him that she loved him. That was, quite possibly, the hardest statement he had ever heard someone say to him, especially her. He'd thought about it a lot that night, and still wasn't sure what to make of it all. The only thing he could think to do was to inquire about it, before Cindy and Nick were around. “Hannah...about last night. I...I'm not sure what to say about what you came out and told me.”

Hannah could almost feel the concern in Richard's voice, and the hesitation to respond to what she had told him. She told him a lot of things last night, but she had a feeling she knew what statement, in particular, that he was trying to respond to. It was the one statement that she wished, deep down, that he'd responded to, years before. She knew what she wanted, but she also knew what was right and wrong. Laying her head down on his arm, she rubbed on it with one of her hands. The situation didn't lend itself well. She was small and she was finding attention and care from him. She was being given affection and care from the one person she wanted it from.

Part of her wanted to come out further. She had a desire to kiss on his arm and tell him more about her feelings for him, but she also knew that wouldn't be the right thing to do. Nor did she know how Cindy would react to knowing that she was in love with Richard. No matter how gentle and how kind Cindy acted, when someone tells you that they're in love with your husband, it is never an easy thing to deal with. There's jealousy, sad and depressive feelings, angry feels, and almost every other kind of feeling that you could come up with.

It might be similar to how she felt when she found out that Richard was getting married. She thought that Cindy was stealing Richard away from her. Were Cindy to ever think that of Hannah, there would be problems. Also was the fact that she was only a few inches tall. Were Cindy to start hating Hannah, there was so much that she could do to her. It's not like Hannah could fight Cindy off, were she to want to just grab her and force her into whatever she pleased. She had to be very careful with the situation.

As she thought about problems, she quickly said “It's okay, Richard. I don't need a response.” and stood up, hearing some pounding footsteps coming from the other room. Backing up to the middle of the table, she and Richard both looked to the hall, seeing Cindy and Nick walking towards them, about to join them for breakfast. Richard got up as they approached and went back to tending the eggs.