- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

Richard takes Hannah back to the bedroom, where she refuses to leave his hand...

It was the first day of their vacation, and so much had already happened, personally, for all four of them. Nick and Cindy, for example, had already been through a lot together. Nick had nearly been killed by Cindy twice, one involving an unwilling ride on her foot, all the way from the bathroom to the kitchen. Keeping things going, Cindy had seemed to come out to Nick, once she and Richard realized what had happened to him and Hannah. They were spending a fair amount of time together, completely losing her original plans of spending time with Hannah, in her own way. Things progressed and now, she was sleeping on the couch, Nick safely curled up on her bare stomach.

They were brought together because of what had happened with their lovers. Cindy had first felt Richard pushing away from her when he shoved her out of the way, halfway across the room, to keep her from accidentally stepping on Nick and Hannah. She felt very violated when this happened. She had wanted to get back at Hannah and Nick, blaming them both for forcing Richard to do that to her. As time passed on, though, she realized that it was Hannah that was the problem. She came out to Richard, about her own feelings for him, despite the fact that he was married. This let Cindy reach out, a little, to Nick. If Hannah was going to abandon Nick and go after Richard, she had to do something about it. That meant Nick also had to do something about it. His relationship was in jeopardy as well.

While the two of them were bonding and getting a little closer, even if it was because of the one thing they had in common, Richard and Hannah were off, elsewhere, having a dilemma of their own. At least, it was a dilemma from one of the two. After breakfast, they had no idea what Nick and Cindy had been doing. Hannah had just decided she wanted to spend the day with Richard. Despite the fact that Nick had seemed overly affectionate with her at breakfast, she wanted to be close to Richard. She wasn't thinking straight, only thinking about spending time with Richard, not considering that Nick might have needed her help, or that she was leaving him in the hands of Cindy.

Richard had wondered about how Nick and Cindy had been acting today. Nick, he wasn't so worried about. He was a bit affectionate towards his girlfriend, but wasn't that natural? You're thrown into a terrible dilemma, and the only person you have around that can truly relate to your situation is your girlfriend. If he'd been in the same situation, he'd probably be yearning for affection, too, to help push back all of the fears and dangers the world and life, itself, would pose to him. Richard was constantly thinking about the problems Nick and Hannah would have, and he kept this thinking going, as he brought Hannah back to the bedroom.

He wasn't sure what they were supposed to do, during the day. They were obviously splitting up from Cindy and Nick for awhile, which was probably a good thing. Cindy was going to have to earn the trust back from their two friends, along with his. The only way she was going to make him feel safe around her again was to have her taking good care of both Nick and Hannah. He was also glad that Hannah had chosen to come with him. He wasn't sure if Hannah was ready to deal with being around Cindy yet. Not that Nick would be any more prepared, but he felt that Hannah needed him right now, hence why she had opened up to him the night before. That was his thinking, anyways.

They got back to the bed and, still wearing his bath robe, he sat himself on the bed. His bare feet pushed down against the floor, sending cold chills up his legs, both from the temperature of the floor, and this situation. He extended his hand towards the night stand, so Hannah wouldn't have to ride in his hand anymore. He held it there for a good minute or two, but Hannah wouldn't budge. She just held onto one of his fingers and shook her head at him. “I want to stay with you, Richard.” she said, with the intention of staying close to him.

“Well, you are with me, Hannah. You can just stand on there, so you don't fall or any--” Hannah made her intentions very clear from the time he'd gotten halfway through trying to convince her to come onto the night stand. Her body moved again. She gripped onto his finger, as tight as she could and sat herself down, not willing to let go of him. She shook her head again, and said it again. “No. I want to stay with you. I feel much safer right here, in your hand, than I would on that night stand. I know I would never fall, as long as I'm close to you, Richard. You would never let that happen. I know you wouldn't.”

“Hannah...” Richard was at a loss for words. It was times like these that Richard was starting to think that Hannah's expressing of emotion from the night before wasn't just a fluke, a byproduct of the stress she was going through, being so small. She had just expressed how safe she felt around him. Even though she could easily be hurt and killed by Richard tightening his hand into a fist and grinding her body into paste, she felt safe around him. That had to have taken a lot to be able to feel, not to mention a lot of emotion to come out and say to him. “So, what are we going to do right now?” she asks, before he can cope with everything and process everything. She's forcing this conversation through, almost as if it were Cindy he was talking to, not Hannah, though in a much less crude manner. When Cindy was directing a conversation, it was normally very blunt and rude, but Hannah seemed to do it in a way that was expressing emotions towards him.

“Well...I was thinking about figuring out what we can do, about you and Nick. We might have to change a lot of things, so you can still get around and do some things without constantly needing me or Cindy to carry you and do everything for you.” Hannah just looked at him, her head tilted. “Like what? I like being near you, Richard. I don't need a whole lot of special treatment. Just look at breakfast? All you did was cook, like normal. I'm still the same Hannah you knew before. I'm just a little shorter, that's all. But if we're being a bother for you...”

Hannah's head had started to droop down, not thinking about anything but getting Richard to know she meant business about wanting to be near him. She wasn't even thinking about the fact that she was only a few inches in height. She got a response from Richard, almost immediately, though. “N-No! Of course not, Hannah. I...I love having you around. It's just...we might not be able to reverse this. Don't you want to be able to do things on your own? You know...without my constant help and support?” Hannah just looked at him, giving him a confused look. She knew, on some level, that he was right about this, but right now, she just didn't seem to care about anything besides being close to him...