- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

Trent lives a good, yet lonely life, and wishes upon a star one night...

Hello!  My name is Trent, and I am 24 years of age.  My life has been pretty normal, as far as anyone’s life may go by.  I grew up in a small town, went to a community college to get a degree in Computer Science, and all-in-all, expect to have a relatively normal life.  I currently have a work-at-home job and have just moved into a new house, out in the country.  It’s a pretty nice house, given how much money I have for payments.  It has two stories, two bedrooms, a kitchen-dining room combination, three bathrooms, a full basement, an attic, an office, and a host of unused rooms.  For all intents and purposes, I could live here and have a family.  I live by myself, though.

As far as looks are concerned, I’m not exactly the most attractive person off the market.  I’m about 5’11, have decently-long dark-brown hair, along with eyes of the same color.  I’m not terribly thing, but also not obese or anything.  I weigh in at about 215 pounds, and am currently working out to lose some of that excess weight on my body.  Having a work-at-home job means I don’t have much physical activity.  I have to work fairly hard, in my mind, to be able to get up and exercise every morning.  It’s hard to do things you don’t have to do when there isn’t anyone around to remind you.

Still, I like to think that my life has its perks.  With the job I have, I don’t really have any strict hours to go by.  I have a set of paperwork to fill out via Computer and send out by 5:00 p.m. every night, Monday through Friday.  I enjoy writing, so it’s normally fairly easy to get all of this done and have a good chunk of the day for personal activities.  Those activities normally include exercising, cleaning, studying programming code, and the occasional video game or movie.

Despite all of this, I feel like I lead a lonely life.  I always have fun with my day, but I don’t really interact with anyone, outside of going into town each night to get food ingredients, gas in the car, clothes, and anything else I may need.  While I do get out and see people a good amount each day, I’ve never really had anyone to be around all the time.  Sometimes, I wish I had someone living with me, to share my life with.   I’m not sure I want dedication, like a lover, but I just wish there was someone that I could spend time with and take care of.

I’m lying on my bed, staring at the white-painted ceiling of my bedroom, thinking about all of this.  The night is clear and I can see the low hue of the moonlight, lurking its way towards my window, shining down on me.  I look to the side and let out a small grin as I look at that celestial being, along with all the stars within view of the window.   My hands are behind my head as I lay in my pajamas, wearing a white, short-sleeved T-shirt and blue, checkered boxers.  My feet lay bare, ankles crossed as I stare out, beginning to think about the past.

Often have I wondered if there are any beings out there beyond human comprehension?  I wonder if there are any Gods or Deities, watching over us.  There are so many stories of such beings.  There’s Odin, Zeus, and even one called ‘God’.  As a child, my mother told me that none of these stories were false, and that the level beyond what we see is what I wish it to be.  She always told me that there were people who looked over us, the souls of the deceased. 

Even my great aunt, supposedly, watched over us as we grew up.  I never knew her very well.  My only memory was visiting a hospital when I was very young, seeing her shortly before I died.  I was 4, maybe 5 at the time.  She was down a wing of the hospital where kids weren’t allowed, so I hid between my mother and father’s legs as we hurried down the hall.  They snuck me in, so I could see her before she passed away.  I never knew what was wrong with her, but I always wanted to know her.  Since I wanted to, I always believed my mother’s stories of the spirits of the deceased watching over us.

As I stared up towards the sky, I am deep in thought about my life situation and my desires to have someone else to share it with.  I’m never sure of what, exactly, I want, but this night, I softly speak, calling up to the stars and, hopefully, all those spirits that were watching over me.  “Spirits, are you there?” I ask, naively thinking that the spirits of those people would appear before me and provide me with some sort of answer to the question. 

I continue as I smile towards the window.  “Spirits, Mom always told me you watched over me and could shape things for me.  I’ve never tried speaking to you before, but I would like to ask something of you.”  I start thinking carefully as I keep looking up at the stars.  “I’ve been living here, alone, in this house, for quite awhile now.  I enjoy my life, but sometimes, I wish I could spend it with someone else.  I know this is selfish of me, but can you send someone to live with me?  I’d like to spend time with some little lady that I can take care of.  I’d like a short lady that I can keep in my house, share my spare bedroom with, and be able to talk to at night.”

I slowly come to a stop with my wish, realizing how silly I must sound.  I’m lying on a bed, asking the stars to send me some lady to spend time with me?  Most people would probably laugh at something like that, saying that I need to go out and spend more time in town, rather than asking the stars and the Cosmos for assistance.  Trying to get all of those thoughts out of my head, I close my eyes and drift off to sleep, preparing for tomorrow, Saturday, a normal day.

However, what I don’t know is that tomorrow is going to be anything but normal…

Chapter End Notes:

As Trent sleeps, what will this next Saturday bring?