- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

Trent stays in the doorway, trying to get the woman to trust him and they both end up falling asleep for awhile...

My body doesn't move an inch from the doorway. I can't afford to startle her too much and get her to run off again. It must have taken quite a deal of effort for her to make it out of the room, through the hallway, up the stairs, and onto the bed in such a small amount of time. She can't run forever, either. No matter what happens, she'll run out of energy, eventually. I would prefer it not come to that, though. I want to be able to gain some trust right here, right now. To help with this venture, I hold my position and let a smile come to my face, hoping it will help persuade her to, at the very least, talk with me.

“S-stay away from me...” That familiar phrase comes from her lips once again, a slight shiver in her tone of voice. I can see her pushing her face against the pillow as her eyes fixate on my position. The look on her face isn't only skepticism anymore. There's a little bit of expression in it. It almost looks like she's both scared and angry at me, all at the same time. Her words come into me and, as much as I want to come into the room and fix the bandage job she has done, I respect her wishes and nod towards her.

Slowly bringing myself down to the ground, I sit in front of the door, slightly inside the room. My feet fold and cross, indian-style as I keep looking at her, trying to keep as calm a face as I can. “Alright. If you don't want me to come any closer, I won't. You shouldn't be running all over the house in your condition, though. I know that I may have no place to bark orders at you, but could you, at least, stay in the bed and not run away this time? I'm sure you do need to get some rest after everything you've been through today.”

The woman didn't say anything, at first. She just stared at me with those big, quivering pupils of hers. Her hands gripped the edges of the pillow she was laying on and it looked as if the conversation wasn't going anywhere. I don't care about conversation, though. I just want her to get some rest. She can't keep running around at random in the house. There is just too much she can get into, and too much she can get hurt by. She soon stops looking at me, burying her face in the pillow, almost looking like she was nuzzling it with her face.

“I'll rest when I decide I need to! I don't need a big...person like you to tell me what to do!” Her arms are clenching onto the pillow a little tighter than before, and it looks like she is hugging into it. As her head turns away, I let a grin creep onto my face. It doesn't look like she's going to be leaving. Maybe she really is taking my advice and trying to get some rest. I don't say much, not wanting to strain her too much, though what she says does open up a door for me to finally introduce myself to this short, little woman.

I make sure my voice is at a low and calm tone as I speak out to her, leaning back against the door as I sit on the floor. “Alright, then you just rest when you want to. I'm sorry for telling you what to do. My name is Trent, by the way. I hope that bed is comfortable for you.” My statements are returned by nothing but silence. The little woman turns herself and looks in the opposite direction, not saying a single word. I can hear her breathing from where I'm at, so maybe she's trying to get some sleep. There's a good chance that she's not, but I like looking to the bright side. I want to think that she doesn't hate me completely.

I close my own eyes as I sit in the room, wanting to make sure she doesn't go elsewhere. My eyes shut and my mind is filled with thoughts about what can be done about this woman. If she starts trusting me, where do I go from there? Do I incorporate her into the daily life of this house? Do I try to figure out where she's from and who her family is? What will she want to do? There are so many questions going through my head, and I just don't know what to think about all of this. One thing's for certain, though. I enjoy having this person around, even if she doesn't trust me. It's a lot better than being lonely around this place.

It isn't long before my closed eyelids get the best of me. My mind wanders further and further and then my head jerks up, bring my consciousness back to reality. I feel so fatigued as I look around. Over on the bed is the woman, still laying there, presumably sleeping. I look down at my watch and see that it reads 12:34 p.m. I must have fallen asleep as I sat here. That run must have taken more out of me than I thought. Thank goodness the woman is still here, though. Perhaps she really was trying to sleep, as I had suggested.

I slowly got to my feet and stood in the doorway for a moment. I looked back, watching her resting form, and I began to walk out of the room when I heard something from behind me. “Rebecca!” said the woman. Putting my hand on the doorway and looking back inside, I looked over at her. “What?” I ask. The woman turns around on the bed and looks towards me. She looks towards me with her quivering pupils, still tightly clenching onto the pillow. “My name...is Rebecca.”

A grin comes across my face and I nod my heads towards her. “It's nice to meet you, Rebecca. Listen, I'm going to-” Before I can even finish a simple sentence, she sends her voice at me, in that skeptical tone again. “Hey! Don't think I trust you just because I told you my name! You just...told me yours, so it would be rude of me not to tell you mine! I still want you to stay away from me!”

I frown for a moment and blink for a moment before responding to her again. “R-right. Okay. Well, you just stay here and get some rest. If you feel like eating anything, I'll be downstairs.” The woman jerked her body around and clenched onto the pillow again, providing one, quick “Hmph!” I shake my head for a moment, finally thinking that I am starting to make some progress. I walk out of the room and head for the stairs, intending to go and make some lunch for the two of us.