- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

Trent finishes up the cleaning, thanks to Rebecca, but finds that he left the food on too long and has a shocking run-in with the smoke alarm...

I'm not sure what to make of what Rebecca is doing right now. One minute, I'm cooking soup and putting away bottles of medicine and the next she yelps and I realize that I've just grabbed a bottle that she is carrying over to the doorway. I can see the nervousness in her face, all too well. Her face was red and she'd had a lot of nervousness in her voice as she reprimanded me for having such a 'hazardous' house. She is trying to convince me that she's just moving the bottle because she nearly tripped and fell on it, though she couldn't have nearly tripped on all of the ones she's brought over.

My calm mention of thanks comes out as I put away the bottle she brought over to me, and I don't say anything else as I put all of the other bottles away, all that she brought over. Well, I'm pretty sure she brought them over. Either that or some of these bottles can bring themselves over. As I reach for the last bottle, I look over to see that she's still standing in the doorway, watching me. I don't look for too long. After a quick glance and then go back to the cabinet, where I fit the last bottle and close the closet door. I hear a click from the door and then think about the soup that's still on the stove. It's probably about time for me to go and stir it up.

I slowly put my hand on the floor by the doorway to get up when I hear a gasp from Rebecca. I look over and see her on the other side of the hall, hiding behind a post for the stairway. Her body is behind it, her arms wrapped around it, and her head is peeking out, towards me, a flustered expression on her face, again. “Watch where you put your hands! You nearly smacked me with it!” With that, she moves from the post and dashes into the living room, disappearing from my sight. I let out a small grin at how she's acting. It looks like she still doesn't trust me, but at least she's not deathly afraid of me. At least she'll talk to me.

Reaching for the doorknob, I pull myself up the rest of the way and turn into the hallway. I ignore the living room, not wishing to disturb her more than I have to. Instead, I head towards the kitchen. I may have managed to get a little trust out of her, but losing trust is a lot easier to do than gaining it. If I make one wrong move in this scenario, I could completely push her away. Things have to go slow, and when she wants them to, not when I want them to. Turning into the kitchen, I see a few streams of steam raising up from the pan with the soup. Making my way over to the stove and pick up a whisk that I can use to stir it up with.

The whisk slowly dips into the soup, the thin liquid oozing all around it, swallowing it up. The bottom of the whisk touches the bottom of the pan as I begin to stir. A quiet, scraping sound can be heard as the whisk goes back and forth, all around the pan in a circular motion. My mind is on Rebecca, at the moment, as my eyes look towards the doorway and towards the living room. I'm very curious as to what she's doing, but I have to respect her privacy and the sensitivity of the situation at hand. She must be handled carefully, in all aspects, and I can't rush a single part of it.

After about 5 more minutes of stirring, my mind has wandered off, thinking about the woman, not even realizing that the soup is finished. My eyes are shut and my hand is slowly, but surely, moving around, keeping the soup moving as I think about her. What am I going to do with her? Does she have a home go to? Can I keep her here and have her as a house mate or something? Quite honestly, I would prefer the latter. She may be short, but she's a little cute, and I wouldn't mind having company around here. As my thoughts race onward, I gasp and come out of my daydream as the smoke alarm goes off from in the hallway.

I take deep breaths and quickly move the pan onto another burner and pick up a towel from the counter, aiming to walk into the hall and blow all the smoke away from the alarm. As soon as I move out into the hall, however, I hear a high-pitched scream. From the living room, I see Rebecca bolting into the hallways. “TURN IT OFF! IT HURTS! PLEASE, TURN IT OFF!” She is covering her ears up and running towards me, not looking at anything. I want to move out of the way, but can't. Her body plows into my leg, knocking me over, and her on the ground, next to me.

I let out a little grunt as I push myself up. I take a breath as I re-grab the towel, preparing to get up before I feel something bashing against my arm. My arm retracts as I see Rebecca, looking at me, her face red and tears running down her face. Her fists are pounding against my arm as she screams at me. “Please...PLEASE! TURN IT OFF! IT HURTS! IT HURTS!” Within moments, she falls to the ground, holding her ears and shivering on the floor. Is the alarm that volatile to her? From seeing her so upset, I pick myself up and run over to the smoke alarm.

Taking the towel, I fan the alarm until it ceases it's loud screeching. My breath is partially taken away as I drop the towel to the floor. I look back towards Rebecca, whom is shivering on the floor, curled up into a ball. I lower my head and walk back towards her. The poor girl was in pain from that alarm. Being so much shorter must have made her sensitive to that loud beeping noise. I slowly walk closer and closer before she opens her eye and looks at me. The moment she saw me approach, she forced herself up and darted off, back to the living room.