- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

Trent and Rebecca both head into the kitchen, while one prepares some soup and the other has a bit of a struggle with sitting down...

I laughed a little. I can't help it, though! After going through everything that's been going on in this scenario, this woman is comical, at least a little bit. I understand that she's been scared and half a dozen other things, what with being assaulted by a dog, waking to find a huge person she doesn't know, assaulted by the dog a second time, and getting pulled back into the house by that huge person. She does seem to be starting to trust me a little more, or just has been coming around me more often. Right now, she's standing right next to my face and arms, the closest she's ever been.

The sound of how she just blurted out “I'm hungry!” was comical. I'm just here, lying on the floor, getting over the shock from trying to take that battery out and she runs on up to me and tells me that she's hungry. If there's anything about this woman, it's that she is completely unpredictable with everything. She goes from being scared of me to helping me put pill bottles away to running away after the smoke alarm goes off to telling me she's hungry. Thankfully, I have some soup that's very much ready to be served. The time it's taken to fix the smoke alarm has probably allowed it to cool off a good bit.

“S-sure, Rebecca. I've got some soup ready if you--” I don't even get a chance to full explain it before she darts off, making her way into the kitchen. Being able to deal with how she is right now will definitely be a task. It's better than her not trusting me and constantly running away, though! Letting out a sigh, I pull myself to my feet and start making my way towards the kitchen. As I walk, I hear a screech on the floor and begin to walk a little faster. She's already moving one of the chairs at the lower table. She must be very hungry, indeed.

As I make my way into the kitchen, I look over to the counter, seeing that pot of soup, smoke still piling away from it. Maybe it's not quite cooled off yet. I just hope my little guest is willing to wait for it to cool. If her hearing is sensitive, it stands to reason that her other senses might also be sensitive. Something hot to my tongue might be scolding to hers. I walk over to the pot and pick up a bowl from the other counter, preparing to dip some out for her, to get cooled off. As I begin to pour it in, I hear her voice coming towards me from behind. “This chair isn't working right!”

Turning my head around, I set the pan and bowl down, walking around the counter to look and see what she's doing. Next to the counter, which is about up to my chest, normally, are three tall bar stools. The woman had apparently abandoned the chair and went for the stools, despite the fact that the set was positioned higher than her head was. The stool had been pulled out a little and she was hanging onto where the seat was, her legs swinging back and forth as she tried to pull herself up. As she was pulling, her elbows straightened and she grunted, clearly not strong enough to get up there on her own.

Coming up behind her, I kneel down for a moment and place my hands about 3 inches below the bottom of her sneaker-clad feet. “Would you like me to help you, Rebecca?” My voice travels quickly, her body fidgeting as she heard me. She quickly turns her head and shakes it. “O-of course not! You think I can't get onto a chair by myself! I'm hungry! Go get the food!” She continues her struggle to get up the chair, but I don't help her. If she doesn't want help, I don't want to force it on her. I step back and start to walk towards the other counter, where the bowl and pan are located.

As soon as I get back to the other counter, I pick up the pan and pour a little more soup into the bowl. Once it is about half-way full, I hear another grunt and a whimper from the other side of the room. “T-Trent...” she says, almost a feeling of weakness in her voice. Setting the pan down again, I turn and look over the counter. “Yes, Rebecca?” Her eyes squinted at me, as if frustrated with something I had done. Her voice comes to me again, which makes me smile. “Come here and, uh...give me a boost! This stool is too slippery right now!”

'Too slippery, huh?' I think, walking back over, towards the stool she is trying to climb up. She is in the same position she was in before, and seems to be struggling just as much. I reach her and kneel down, pressing my hands against the bottoms of her feet. Her body shivers from my touch, and she just blurts out towards me again. “Okay, now just hurry up and push me up! I'm getting tired enough, dealing with your faulty chairs!” Not saying a word, I gently push up on her feet, moving her body upward. Within moment, she is high enough that she grabs onto the fabric of the seat and pulls herself up, sitting on the stool, with a cross-legged position.

I stand up, looking at her and smiling as she gets into position. She looks at me and almost looks like she's about to say something to me. I look at her, as if expecting something. As she looks at me, she only says “Where's the food? I'm hungry, you know!” Sighing, I turn around and go to get the soup, saying “Sure. I'll be right back.” As I walk back over, I stop for a moment, thinking I hear a soft “Thank you” coming from behind me. I look back, only to get a confused look from her. Smiling, I speak back to her as I move further towards the counter. “You're welcome.”