- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

Rebecca cries out in pain as Trent forces her limb back in place and has to trust him for a little bit longer as he makes a sling for her and prepares to let her get some rest...

The scream is terrible. Poor little Rebecca screams out as I pull her limb back into position. Why...why did it have to be like this? Even my own elbow starts to get pain from hearing the cracking noises of the limb going back into place, and the scream that had followed. There is no such word that I can use to describe my feelings at this time. I know I'm not close to this woman, but when you are trying to take care of someone, and they end up screaming in pain, it's not a good feeling. I know that this is going to make her feel better, in the long run, but it doesn't make it any easier.

Her back arches and her limbs are flailing around as the pain settles into her body. One of my hands immediately goes down to her stomach, gently yet forcefully pushing down on her body. Trying to get past her scream, I call down to her, knowing that this will go much more smoothly if she isn't jumping all over the bath tub in the process of her body coping with the sudden limb movement. “Rebecca! Please, calm down! I need you to be still!” Her body doesn't react well to this. She just keeps screaming and tries to squirm around, moving as the pain goes into her further.

Pushing down further on her stomach, I lower my voice tone a little, trying to sympathize with her. “Listen, I know it hurts! I had a broken limb when I was a little kid. It hurt, a lot! I promise the pain will subside soon. But, please, you need to be as still as you can. Please, stop screaming. Moving around will only make it worse!” I don't know if my words are going to reach her, but I don't know what else to do. I can't hold her entire body down. Her other arm is still cut up from when I found her, and I don't want to hurt her any more than I have to.

After a moment, the screaming stops and she looks up at me, her flailing body slowly coming to a stop. This is when the full force of what she's doing hits me. Her eyes meet with mine, and they are drenched. They are fogged up, and tears are running down her cheeks. Her arms and legs are shaking as we look at each other. I can't help it, either. Seeing the painful look on her face is making me start to feel like I'm in pain, just from seeing her plight. My eyes begin to tear up as we look at one another, not being able to take seeing that small, short woman in tears, because of me.

Her body's breathing is heavy, but begins to slow down as we look at one another. She blinks, more tears running down her cheeks and her shivering starts to slow down. I can feel her broken arm's limbs moving less and less, and I can't take my eyes off her eyes. She then begins to put up a soft grin, paining herself to do it, then immediately losing it. She has got to be going through a lot of pain right now to be doing this to herself. Knowing that her movements have slowed down, I reach down and pull her to a sitting position.

We look at each other for a few more minutes before we finally start talking again. It looks as if she wants to talk, but she is still probably going through a lot of pain. She hasn't taken her eyes off me yet, and the tears in them have started to slow down. “Let's make you a sling for the arm and get you back to a bed, so you can rest.” She didn't protest, but didn't exactly tell me it was okay for me to do so. Reaching for the bandages, I unroll a lot of it and make some sort of 'sling' out of it, wrapping it around her neck and coming down to her arm, which is now horizontal, right in front of her stomach.

One the sling is administered, she pushes herself up to a standing position and instinctively moves her arm, only to have a piercing pain coming through her system, making her grunt and fall back down to her butt. She holds her eyes shut, coping with the pain of using her bad arm. As I see this, I realize that she might have to trust me a little more, just to get her to a place where she can rest. Reaching my hands and arms out towards her, in the tub, I give her a suggestion. “May I help you?” She looked at me and blinked, moving her gaze from my face to my arms.

It took her for a few moments, but she silently nodded towards me and reached her good hand out, grasping onto my fingers. A grin comes to my face as I slowly pull upwards as those little fingers clench onto my, getting her to her feet. She stands still for a moment, her legs shaking as she looks over the bathtub. She looks almost scared to get out. Kneeling down against, I offer both my arms, one on each side of her. If she's a little scared to walk and move like this, because of the pain, maybe I can just carry her, if she'll let me.

Ensuring that I have a smile on my face and I tactfully approach this situation, I pose the question to her. “You still look a little weak from all of these accidents. It might be a good idea if I just carried you to the living room, so you can preserve your strength. Would that be okay?” Rebecca looks at me with a surprised look on her face, as if it were shocking that I would ask her of this. I suppose it would be surprising. Up until this point, she has stressed that she doesn't even want me to touch her at all, let alone carry her in my arms.

Still, the situation was making her trust me. She sighed a moment, and finally said something. “Y-Yeah. Sure.” Within moments, her good arm has come up around my neck and my arms around her back and legs. I lift up as she leans into me, staying as still as she can. As the two of us walk out of the bathroom, I hear a small “Thank you...Trent.” as we pass into the hall. I gently pat her on the back as I take the injured woman towards the living room, where she can lie down and rest for awhile. This situation is starting to get a little better, with her trust in me. I didn't mean for her to get hurt, but I think she's starting to trust me a little more. I just hope she can recover from this soon...