- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

Trent sits with Rebecca for awhile, until she gets up and thanks him...

This isn't such a bad day, after all. I'm just sitting here, next to the couch, Rebecca's arm still handing onto my wrist. I can't help but smile down at her as she rests, looking up towards the ceiling and glancing towards me and the couch every so often. Her limbs aren't shivering anymore, which is definitely a good sign. She's resting right now, and it looks like she's not in a lot of pain anymore. I'm glad, too, since that scream from earlier made my stomach turn. I hate having to hurt people to fix something. It's a reason I never pursued the medical field, like my Aunt did. Doctors have to hurt people, sometimes, in order to make them better. I don't like hurting others.

Seeing her here, like this, is making my day a little better, though. The progression she's gone through today is quite amazing, and very good for my side of things. I think she's finally starting to trust me a lot, though I have been thinking that for awhile now. She actually grabbed me and told me that she wanted me to stay with her, as she was laying on the couch. She didn't want me to leave her by herself while she rested after all of this. This makes me feel nice and, although I want to go and get something else for her, I'm more than happy to stay here and sit with her.

Seeing her eyes, staring, no longer sad and full of foggy tears, is also a blessing, to me. For as long as I've spent time with Rebecca, I've wanted her to be happy. That's why I've done nothing against her wishes, other than when I had to fix up her arm when she hurt it a few minutes ago. If she told me to stay away, I stayed away. If she wanted me to stay with her, then I stayed with her. Given her height, I could easily overpower her and make her do the things I want her to do. Just because I'm bigger, though, doesn't give me the right to assume authority and control over her. She's just as much a person as I am. She has the right to make her own choices. I can give her suggestions, but I will not tell her what she has to do.

As I sit here, I start thinking about her arrival, and start thinking about the meaning behind it. I was brought up, thinking that everything happens for a reason. What reason, then, was behind Fate throwing Rebecca into my path? What brought her to my home, of all places? It's an interesting thing to ponder, and I can't help but think about the wish I'd foolishly made last night. I wanted someone around here, and right now, I do have someone around. She's a little shorter than the average person, but she is here, in my home, and I definitely haven't felt one bit of loneliness since she got here.

My Little Wish, is what I'd like to call her, assuming that was the reason she was brought here. Sure, it sounds corny, but it fits, doesn't it? I make a wish for a companion to share the home with, and here comes this 'little' woman, whom can't leave because of that neighborly dog around that wants to maul her. This whole time, maybe I have always been thinking of her as a response to my wish, and only really spoke to myself about it at this point. I don't know, but what I do know is that Rebecca is here now, and I've been able to help her. I only hope that when she gets out of this trauma, we can get along a little better and she can accept my assistance to avoid any further injuries.

As I sit here, thinking about it, feeling the soft, warm, tenderness of her fingers on my wrist, I blur my own vision out, thinking about what life might be like with Rebecca around all the time. What all will be different? Will my schedule even be the same anymore, or will she be my new schedule? Will my days now consist of doing things with her and helping her with things, when I'm not getting work done on the PC? What will we do together? What will she want to do? Just who is she, anyways? A hundred questions plague my mind, but they are all rushed out as I feel some slight tension on my wrist.

Looking down, I can feel her pulling on my wrist as she comes up to a sitting position. Her face is now level with my own face as she keeps hold on my hand with her good arm. We look at one another for a moment, both of us having an almost-blank expression on. I want to ask her if she needs anything, but I can see that she isn't in much pain now. Her legs are moving around, kicking the blanket off her body and onto the floor. She looks into my eyes and makes the first move into a new conversation. “Thank you for helping me.”

Her voice sounds so sincere, and soft now. This isn't anything like the attitude-friendly, bossy Rebecca from earlier. It makes me smile and I give her a nod. “You're welcome. How are you feeling?” My question goes into her, and I am hoping for a miraculous answer. In the back of my mind, I'm wishing for her injury to be completely healed, even though I know that's an impossibility. She looked back at me and slowly moves her hand from my wrist and uses it to grasp onto a few of my fingers instead. “Much better, but...”

But? What' s the “But?” about? I am confused at hearing this out of her, and want to inquire. I keep my hand steady, as I feel her gripping it and feeling on my own fingers. “But...? Would you like me to get you some more pain medicine?” She shaked her head at the question. “No...it's not that. It's just...you're so much different than I expected...You're so...” She paused for a moment, looking at me with a smile on her face. “...kind.” I am unsure why she expected anything less, so I ask her. “You were...expecting otherwise?”

She let out a sigh and held tighter onto my fingers and began to speak about her expecations...