- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

Trent talks with Rebecca for awhile, hearing about the last person she'd seen...

She calls me 'kind', and that I was higher than her expectations of me were. What sort of expectations did this woman have for me? Why would she expect me to be anything but kind in front of someone in such a plight, as she was? Did she expect me to just leave her out there to die? Was she expecting me to take advantage of her height or something of that sort? A lot of questions are in my mind as I stay there with her, hoping that she would be able to answer them in what she was getting herself ready to say.

As she sits there, she looks up at me and grins at me. The grin only lasts for a moment, but it is still there. Whatever these expectations of her were, I'm glad I was much better than they were, as she is suggesting. If She was expecting me to be some horrible, terrible person, then I both question where she might have come from and be glad that she came to me, and not someone else, who might have been a bad person towards her. She slowly gets up from the couch and stands, her head a little above mine. “My dealings with Giants have never been a good one” she says, walking towards the hallway.

Giant? I cannot help but wonder what she means by that. I mean, sure, I'm quite a bit taller than her, but a giant? Really? I blink as I pull myself up, walking along with her, staying slightly behind, wanting her to be in the front and picking the direction we go. I'm happy, just knowing that she wants me close by and is willing to hold onto my hand. As we may our way towards the kitchen, she stops at the table and climbs onto a small chair on one side of it, carefully letting go of my fingers. I take my own seat in a chair across from it and folding my hands together as I look at her. “I understand that I'm a bit tall to you, but I wouldn't call myself a 'Giant”, Rebecca.”

My statement is very true, though Rebecca doesn't change her expression very much. She pulls her lower lip into her mouth for a second and uses her good hand to rub against her arms for a moment. Making a quick nod towards me, she continues what she's speaking of. “To be honest, I'm not really sure why I refer to you as such. It's just...the first thing that comes to mind. Maybe having a name for you helps me...differentiate myself from you, as if we're not the same. To help me think that the last...person I saw was so much different, because of how she treated me.”

Things are starting to get a little weird, at this point. I'm not aware of anyone else living on this road. Who was this other person and what did she do to Rebecca to give her such a skewed view of people? Slowly reaching my hand forward, I can see her expression turning sour as she stared down as the table. Softly tapping on her shoulder, I am curious about this person, but I don't wish to pry, if I don't have to. Rebecca has already been through a lot of pain today, and it's only the afternoon. I don't wish for her day to be completely miserable.

She looks up as my hand touches her, and I smile to her. “Well, I'm not this other person, Rebecca. I don't know what she may have done or how she treated you, but from the sound of your voice and the expression on your face, it sounds bad. You may not have the best view of people, and I'm sorry you do have that. I'm not going to be mean to you or anything.” The woman sighed and nodded to me, reaching her hand up and pushing mine away, her little fingers clenching onto my arm, just below my wrist. “I don't think you will, either. Your actions so far today have shown me this. Especially when you were helping me in the bathroom.”

My hand is down on the table near her, and now her hand comes forward and rests on top of min, her entire hand able to lay on my palm. She looks me in the eyes and continues, her cheeks starting to get red. “When you did that thing with my arm, to get it back in place. I was scared, because I was in pain, and being in pain reminded me of...Melissa. She put me through a lot of pain. I've been in pain for almost the entire time I've been in your home. I thought I was trapped, and I thought that when you were putting my arm back in place, you were trying to hurt me, just like she did.” She paused for a moment, her fingertips softly running across my hand.

“...but you didn't mean it. You're...different than she was.” Her fingers run down to mine and she grips onto two of them. I can see her face getting even more red and a stressful look coming to her face. Whatever this Melissa did to her must have been bad. “The look in your face when you did that to me...I could see the innocence in it. You didn't want to hurt me, but you did because you knew you had to. You genuinely wanted to make me better and keep me out of pain, and it pained you to do that to me.”

She was very right. It did hurt me to have to hurt her. I don't like hurting others, at all. The fact that the person I had been trying to take care of had to get hurt made it all the worse. “You're right...I didn't want to have to do that to your arm. You were already in a lot of pain.” Rebecca nodded, closing her eyes for a moment, agreeing. “You also showed me that you big people aren't all bad. Melissa was the first other person I can ever remember seeing in my life, and...she hurt me, a lot. I have...bruises from her, and...I just...”

Rebecca's emotion were being heightened from the talking she was doing. I can see her eyes starting to water as she thinks on this Melissa person. Before she completely loses it, I grip onto her hand and put my other hand on top of it. “Well, the important thing is that you know not all people are out there to hurt you. I promise that as long as you stay here, I will never intentionally hurt you.” This made Rebecca smile a little. Her trust in me was definitely getting higher and higher. “Stay here...you want me to stay here?”

I chuckle a little as she asks the question. The idea of her staying is quite interesting and desired to me. I nod to her. “I would love for you to stay here. Although we've butted heads a few times since you got here, I've enjoyed having your company, and taking care of you. You may stay here, with me, for as long as you wish.” The two of us then just smiled at one another for a few minutes before Rebecca gladly took me up on my offer. “I'd like to say. Just...don't expect me to be all bending to your will or anything! I'm still a woman, and I still have my own independence. I still want to be able to do some things that I want, and not have you constantly carrying me or leading me to things. Let me do stuff on my own.”

I agree with her, with one condition. “Alright, but just make sure that if you need help with something, you let me know. I don't want you falling off any more chairs and dislodging any more limbs. It was painful enough to have to fix you that much once.” Within about an hour of talking about life and her staying, she and I both began walking upstairs, to get her settled in. It looks like life is going to be quite interesting from now on...