- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

Rebecca helps pick out something to eat, discovering the freezer and it's contents along the way...

I really should know better than to broadcast my thoughts to Rebecca, like I just did. We do a lot of things together, and I should have known she would want to come with me, to the kitchen, despite wanting to sit down and play a game. She has easily turned this venture of me going into the kitchen to find something to fix for dinner into her leading me into the kitchen to find something to fix for dinner. Not that I mind this, though. At heart, I am a follower, not a leader. I enjoy being led by others, even if it is by someone whose head only comes up to my knee. I lean over as she pulls on my hand, bringing me into the kitchen.

As soon as we enter, she lets go of me and goes straight to the freezer. Putting her two hands on the very bottom of the full-door handle, she tugs and tugs on it, trying to get it open. I stand back, for a moment, curious about this. She's small and not nearly as strong as I am, but is she able to open up that freezer door? Her mind seems to be on the same pattern. As soon as I move, I hear her calling back to me. “Don't help me! I can do this, myself!” Taking her words in, I stop and rest against the counter. “Alright, alright. Go for it.”

So, she does. Her fingers tighten around the bottom of the handle and she starts moving outward, straining her arms as she tries to pull. Pulling and pulling, I can hear that soft, padding sound of the door starting to open up. A smile comes across my face as I realize that she is strong enough to open up that door, a door that's a good three times her own height. Within moments, the door swings open, her falling backwards and yelping as she hits the floor. Well, it looks like she managed to do it. She's panting and I can see a little stream of sweat running down her forehead, but she was able to strain enough to get it open.

She's lucky she's finally to the point where she can strain her arms. With the injuries she'd gotten when we first met, she'd never be able to pull on anything like this. I know that I'd be a little skeptical if I'd gotten injuries like that and tried to move something heavy, like that, so soon. Rebecca had a relatively speedy recovery, though, thanks to my aunt. I have so much medicine stockpiled in the cabinet I the bathroom that I had a complete supply of the antibiotics that she would need. I also might have given my aunt a call one night to ask about what to give her, but that's not as important. The important thing is that she had a relatively speedy recovery and she doesn't have to wear a sling anymore.

“Are you just gonna stand there all day? Help me up!” Her attitude comes and goes all the time, and I cannot say that I don't enjoy it. I am a very mixed-up person. On some level, I like being bossed around by others, and on another level, I like taking care of others. With Rebecca, it seems like I can have both of those things fulfilled, at the same time. Kneeling down, I offer her my hand, not saying a word. As she grabs onto my fingers, I pull her back up and both of us walk over towards the freezer that she just opened up. We need to decide what we want to have for dinner. “So, what looks good?” I ask.

I see goose bumps appearing over Rebecca's leg, from what part of her legs that I can see under her little 'dress' that she's wearing. Needless to say, I'm sure that she will be choosing quickly. Cold isn't something anyone should be around in for long periods of time, let alone someone much smaller than myself. “Um...” she says, biting her lip for a second. A few minutes pass by as she looks around, before yanking out a small, frozen pizza. “We've never had this before! I wanna try this, um...pizza, right?” As she pulls it out, she wobbles around, trying to carry it. The pizza, itself, it about half her height, so it almost looks like she's holding it in front of her, covering most of her body with it.

“Yes, Rebecca. It's a pizza, and sure. I wouldn't mind having that for dinner. I'll get a pan ready and we can stick it in the oven.” Turning to the counter, I open up a small door as Rebecca still wobbles from side to side, trying to balance herself with the pizza in her hands. I reach in to grab my round “pizza” pan when I'm suddenly rushed. “Hurry it up! My hands are numbing over here!” Pulling out the pan, I hold it out in front of her. “Alright, alright. Go ahead and set it down on the--” My arms feel strain pushing down on the as she, literally, throws the pizza on top of the pan.

As soon as it hits the pan, her hand shake around a little and grab onto a nearby towel, hanging from one of the doors on the counter. She is wiping her hands off as I get back up, beginning to tear the plastic off the pizza. “Are you alright?” I ask, seeing her frantically wiping her hands across the towel as I remove the pizza and it's cardboard from the plastic and place it back on the pan. “Fine! I'm just fine!” she says, looking back at me and pulling her hands away from the towel. “Why didn't you tell me it was going to get me all wet?!”

Rebecca's never gotten anything out of the freezer before, so I guess she had no idea that frozen things start to melt when they're out in the normal heat of the house. That isn't the only thing that she doesn't seem to know that is common knowledge to me. When she talked about her past, she also mentioned that she had no ideas what cars were, and various things around the house she would ask me about, once in awhile, having no idea as to their name or purpose. It makes me wonder just where she came from or if she suffered amnesia for her past before she met Melissa and myself.

“Sorry, Rebecca.” I say, as I open the door of the wall-oven and slip the pizza inside. Pressing a few buttons, I set the oven's timer and turn the oven on. Looking back to her, I smile and pull out a smaller towel from a drawer in the counter. “Here, you can take this one, if you still need it. Everything's done in here, though. We can go back into the other room if you want.” Rebecca quickly grabs the towel from my hand and then grabs onto the leg of my pants, tugging me away. “Good! Time to go play a game. I wanna race you! Racing always helps brighten up my mood!”

It looks like we're going to be playing a racing game tonight. That means...either Gran Turismo 5 or Wipeout...