- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

Trent thinks and falls asleep as he waits outside the bathroom...

It's pretty quiet on the second floor. I'm still sitting by the bathroom door, calmly waiting for Rebecca to finish up her bath. I've been here the entire time, just sitting against the wall, arms crossed and head staring up at the ceiling. This happens every time she takes a bath. Ever since the incident where she got her leg stuck in the drain, I've always wanted to be close, in case something happened and she needed me. It's possible to get hurt in a bath tub when you're my height. She's a lot shorter than I am, though. It would be a lot easier for her to get hurt. She hasn't had any incidents since that initial one, but one can never be too careful.

While I've got this time to myself, I start thinking about what all I can do for her, and how to go about doing it. I already do a good bit for her, and I'm borderline going too far and doing too much without asking. One thing I have to learn is to be more respectful to her. I shouldn't just pick her up for something or assume something that she's going to say. Deep down, I do know better than that. As I think, I start deciding that I need to ask her whenever I want to help her. That way, she will know that I wish to assist her, and will also have the opportunity to say no, if she doesn't want my help.

I'm realizing that with being more comfortable around her, things like what happened earlier are happening. Since I'm more comfortable around her, I'm starting to feel like I have some leeway to do certain things, like that holding thing earlier. I didn't even realize, at the time, that it was bothering her. Coming forward and telling me about it bothering her brought me back to my senses and made me realize that I was out of line. I take a deep breath as I think on all of this, trying to figure out more ways to get this situation progressing more smoothly.

All I have to do is be myself and make sure I don't ever act like Melissa did. That means that, unless it's absolutely necessary, I can't force her to do things or take matters into my own hands. I've done that once before, when she hurt her arms, on that first day. That was a unique situation, though. She was hurting, and needed help. I couldn't stand by and not do anything about it. As my head moves around, I see a window in the distance. It's starting to get dark, about the time where both of us head for bed. I imagine we'll both be going to bed as soon as she comes out of the bathroom. My mouth opens as I yawn, already starting to get tired.

I put my hand to my head, keeping my eyes shut for a few moments as I gather together my thoughts, and my energy. I'm giving this situation a lot of thought. There are a lot of feelings inside me that don't want Rebecca to leave. Maybe I'm falling for her, or maybe I just want or need companionship, now that I have it. No matter the reason, it makes me not want her to leave this house. I can't force her to stay, so I've got to make her stay here as comfortable as possible, to make sure she doesn't ever feel like she's in danger here. She already trusts me, sure, but there's more to wanting to stay with someone than just trust.

Opening my eyes back up, it feels like it's work, just to keep them open. This isn't terribly good. I'm starting to shut down. Will I be falling asleep soon? Perhaps I will, but not until she's out of the bathroom. I have to force myself to stay awake until that time. I can't risk falling asleep and having something happen in the bathroom afterwards. I'd never forgive myself if she needed me, and I was asleep, just outside the room. I move my head from side to side to keep my brain moving, trying to switch thoughts on things. I move onto thinking about what we can do tomorrow, that is different than other days.

The events of the days are always different, and sometimes, I find it hard to think of things the two of us can do. Before she came into my life, I was on a pretty repetitive schedule. I did the same things every single day, only changing some of those things when various seasons hit. Gardening came in the spring, shoveling snow and less exercise came in the winter, and similar changes in the other seasons. Otherwise, I basically did the same things every day. She is to thank for this constant switching of things. She has ideas, herself, about what she wants to do, and I just go with it, sometimes. She has her own ideas, and they're usually fun, although not what I would have thought of to do.

I yawn, again, thinking about all of this. My eyes shut and my mind changes a little. I begin to tell myself that I'll be able to hear just fine without having my eyes open. If I just rest my eyes and not fall asleep, it'll be good to go. If I can just keep myself mindful, I can do this. I can rest my eyes, listen for her having problems, and everything is going to be perfectly alright. As I close my eyes, my body starts to get more sluggish. Before long, I feel myself being drained, further and further, until I finally end up falling asleep, completely unintentional.

My mind is completely blank for who knows how long. I sleep a dreamless sleep and my head moves, my eyes bolting open. I blink, starting to take deep breaths. Looking at the window in the distance, I can tell the moon is in a completely different location. My head turns to see that the bathroom door is open, but the light is still on. Well, of course the light is on. Rebecca's not tall enough to reach the light switch. I almost begin to move to go look for her, but I feel something pushing against my side. My head moves and my worried expression turns to a smile.

Leaning against me is a sleeping Rebecca. She's got her little bed-time 'gown' on, and has both of her arms folded and pressed against me. My nose tingles as I feel the emotions building up, seeing that cute, short lady sleeping against me. She could have gone to her bed, but she chose to come back outside and sleep with me. Moving my arm around, I hold her against my side and lean my head down. Letting my lips graze against her hair, I whisper “Good night. You really are my little wish come true.” Afterwards, I lean against the wall again and close my eyes. These moments are what make life worth living...