- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

Trent keeps holding onto Rebecca, as his big worries start coming out...

“Trent...I...” Rebecca's voice travels, although it doesn't say much. I'm clearly overwhelming her with this recent, emotional bout of mine. I can't help it, though. The moment I saw her over that burner, the thoughts of her getting hurt or worse flew into my head. I had to do something. I felt like I needed to do something to keep her from hurting herself. The feelings of losing her are too much to just let this sort of thing go. So, I ended up rushing forward, pulling her from the chair, and clenching onto her, protectively holding her in my arms.

She doesn't like it when I do things with her before asking, but how could I really have asked to do this? I couldn't, that's how. She probably would have just dismissed my concern and say she was fine. Instead, though, I went forward and did something. She may not like it, but my arms are around her now, and they're not letting go. Not for awhile, at least. I rest my head on top of hers as my face starts to show more of how I'm feeling, at the moment. My face is red and the borders around my eyes are starting to get damp.

This situation isn't a normal one, for me. I didn't expect to come in and see her in an extremely dangerous situation. I didn't expect to run through the kitchen, snatching her away from the chair. I didn't expect to have such strong and terrible feelings about losing her or her getting hurt. It just happened. As I hang onto her, I know she deserves another answer to the little bit of speech she gave me. So, the side of me that wants to protect her just takes over. I kiss the top of her head and whisper down to her. “Shh...please don't say anything. I'm sorry for this, but I just...I needed to do this.”

That's right. I did need to do this. I guess this is both part of me protecting her from getting hurt, and showing her how much I care, along with how much I don't want to lose her. We're both surprised by this, though. She's not saying a word. She's not yelling at me, squirming to get out of my grip, fighting me, or anything. She's just...letting it happen. Is she waiting for me to continue this? I suppose she is. She's a lot smaller than I am, so my grip on her must be really strong. As I feel the emotions building up, even worse, I slowly loosen my grip and let her move, if she wishes it.

“I'm sorry, but I just...can't lose you, Rebecca.” I say as she pushes back, standing in front of me. My arms are still touching her, but now she's standing on the floor, between my two legs. She's looking at me, and I'm looking at her, practically eye-to-eye. The only difference is that I can feel a tear running down my cheek, and she's not having any run down hers. “You could have...gotten burned, or fallen, or who knows what else? I know you want to do things on your own. I really do, but I can't lose you. I can't let you get hurt. I can't.”

She just stands there, still listening. As she does so, however, she reaches forward, to where my face is leaking tears. Her hand comes up to my face and starts to wipe away the tear. I sniffle as I feel her tiny hand, running across my cheek. She looks at her hand, and puts is back down. “Stop crying!” she says. “I'm just fine, Trent. I'm not going anywhere! You don't have to protect me from this stuff to prove a point. You don't have to snatch me away and drown me in your worries to show that you care about me, that you don't want me to get hurt or go anywhere...”

“But, Rebecca...” I begin, starting to speak back to her. My voice cracks a little, the tear and emotions still in my system. I know I don't have to do all of this, or do I? What would have happened if I hadn't come in when I did, and got her from that stool? What if she had gotten hurt? “I'm not just trying to prove a point...I still remember the day you fell from that stool. I remember...the pain in your eyes, your voice, and everything. I don't like seeing you hurt. I didn't back then, and I don't now.” I take a moment to stop, letting both her process what I'm saying, along with myself.

“You're a good person, an important person. I'm bigger than you, and have a better time around the things in the house than you do. If I don't try to protect you, who will? Who's going to be around, to watch over you? Who's going to make sure you don't get yourself hurt, or worse? You've brought a lot into my life. Everything has changed since you came into it. Everything is better. Your presence makes me very happy. The least I can do is keep you safe and make sure you don't hate this atmosphere, right? The least I can do for the one person I don't want to lose...”

Now things are starting to get even more emotional. Rebecca stops and gives me a look. It is a look of surprise, but also not. It is as if she was surprised I'd said what I said, but at the same time, it looks as if she already knows all of this. It takes her a moment, but after that moment, she walks forward and pushes herself against me. The two of us embrace and she starts whispering up to me. “I'm not going anywhere, Trent. You don't have to worry about making sure I'm safe, or making sure I like it here. I told you before. You've proven that you're a kind and caring person. I know I'm bossy, at times, but you know I can be like this.”

Rebecca then starts hugging onto me, even tighter. I can feel her face, moving around, as she gives me a tiny kiss on the cheek. My face quivers and gets red from it as she continues. “I love being here, with you. Stop worrying so much. If I need your help with something, I will ask for it. If I run into trouble, calling for you will be the first thing I will do. Now, stop your crying, right now. I'm not going anywhere, and I'm not ever going to. Don't make me reach up a little higher and kiss you someplace else to show you how true I am to that.”