- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

Trent begins to reflect on his life, and how being with Rebecca for the past 2 months has changed his outlook on his daily life...

The life I have right now, with Rebecca, and with the wilderness around this area, is changing, and fast. It's been nearly 2 months since the day I found Rebecca, and things are quite interesting, to say the least. I spend so much time, looking back on my life, before all of this happened. Well, I guess 'happened' is a bad way of putting it. I suppose the more proper terminology would be as it is happening. This life I have, with Rebecca in the house, is on-going, even today, and it is still going on, further and further. Perhaps I am not looking back on what's happening as a turn that has happened, but one that is still happening.

One thing I know, for sure, is that life seems very...different to me now. The things that I feel throughout the day, what I'm doing as the days go by, my hobbies, how I spend my days, the mindsets my brain has been going through. It's all different than it was 2 months ago, before she arrived. Her arrival seems to have changed everything, even in what I am looking for in my life, out here. It's so hard to explain, with rapid changes going on in my life, and I am hardly even noticing them until they've already happened and I look back at what I want out of each day.

At this very moment, I am thinking on all of this. It's the middle of a Wednesday afternoon, and I am laying in bed, my laptop resting on my lap. I'm not really trying to sleep, but rather taking a rest from the day's work while I write up my usual papers to be sent for my job. Writing is something that I enjoy doing and, although my job doesn't let me creatively write, it is writing, all the same. Anyways, I am finishing up one of my reports as I think back on the past 2 months of my life, and how they've changed. I have a little time to myself, Rebecca taking a nap in the other bedroom.

Speaking of each day, they start out in similar ways. Rebecca and I alternate our alarms. Since the sound of the alarm clock I have in the house hurts Rebecca's ears, and seeing as how we only own one alarm clock, we alternate on where we keep that alarm clock. Every other day, we alternate which bedroom it goes in. Yesterday was Thursday, which had the alarm in the hallway, outside Rebecca's bedroom. It is set to automatically turn itself off, given the pain it induces in her when she gets close. As the alarm goes off each morning, one of us slowly gets out of bed and then goes to wake the other up. This morning, for example, the alarm clock was in my room, so when I awoke, I threw on a T-shirt and walked into Rebecca's bedroom to wake her up for breakfast.

I spend a fair amount of time, worrying about Rebecca and what she can do. In the past 2 months, we do absolutely everything together. Well, almost. We eat together, we sit in the living room and talk together, we cook together, we take care of the garden together. The only things we don't do together are use the bathroom, take baths, and sleep. She has become a huge part of my life, lately, and I think is part of the reason I'm starting to see things a little differently, with my day-to-day life. You're obviously wondering why I keep distracting myself with these other subjects, and not talking about the actual changes. Let's get to them now.

Before, I would get up and think about everything I can get done. I can exercise, submit my work, and everything else until the point where everything I need to do and get done is done, at which time I can relax and just play video games or surf the web for the rest of the day. Work, then one can play for the rest of the day. It wasn't the greatest of lives, but it was fun to get up in the morning, feel myself getting a lot of progression done, and then sitting down in the evening for a nice session of Gran Turismo 5 or Star Ocean: Second Evolution to help calm me down and relax.

Now, things are a little different. Being around Rebecca all the time, or just being around someone all the time, has changed me a bit. My days normally go in two directions and the privilege of having someone else around has made me more dependent on attention, among other things. Every day, Rebecca is by my side and, although short, she provides me with a lot of company. She has an attitude, sure, but we've come to understand one another, to a point. She spends a lot of time with me, and the fact that she enjoys that time makes me feel happy that I have her around.

She doesn't seem to do anything, other than things with me, except on occasion. My mornings and afternoons always make me feel so...emotional. Like, I get out of bed and am anxious to spend time with her. Last week, I started giving her a hug when she would come in and wake me up in the mornings. I don't know why, but my morning mood just makes me feel emotional and almost-clingy. It's sort of like I have this emotional barrier that helps me deal with my emotions that gradually raises itself throughout the day. When we're having breakfast, talking in the living room, and other things during the day, I always try to be close to her, like I'm depending on her to keep going.

By the time night comes, everything is good again. I'm completely happy and don't feel like I need to be near her all the time. Granted, being near her is always nice, for me, but it's not as much of a 'needing' feeling, as it is in the morning. I'm not exactly sure how to explain all of these changes, but maybe the fact that there is someone around here, paying attention to me for once, has helped some emotions come out of me. It definitely feels nice to have her near, whether she and I are sitting next to one another at the table, or I can feel her tiny arms pushing against me as we sit together, watching a movie at night. One thing's for sure, though. I really enjoy her company.

As I send the last of the papers through the email, I start to close my laptop's case and unplug the power cord when I hear the creeping of the door to the room. Looking up, I see Rebecca walking into the room, parts of her hair sticking out from sleeping, and the long, white robe I'd gotten for her still on her. It was more like a long, casual dress, but she uses it to sleep in now. She's not wearing any shoes or socks, as she usually doesn't, and she walks towards the bed, rubbing her eyes. As she yawns, she speaks to me. “H-Hi. Are you all...done with your reports and stuff?” I set the computer aside and send a smile towards her. “Yes, I am. Did you have a nice nap, Rebecca?”

I smile and the little bit of needy feelings I have in my system for the day create a tingling feeling in my stomach as she walks up to me, setting her hands on my leg and smiles back to me. “It was okay, I guess. If you're done, we're gonna go and play a game, okay?! Let's go!” With that statement, her little hands grab onto my fingers and begin tugging on me, as if she had the strength to drag me downstairs with her. There's no need. More than happy to do something with her, I pull myself out of bed and follow her down the stairs, towards the living room. If it's a game she wants to play, then tonight shall become game night...