- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

Mark begins to further his curiosity, but stops when he gets tired...

Now Mark was just confused. This person was too big and tall to even fit inside the hallway? What kind of hallway was this? A better question is, why would she be too big to fit inside it? He couldn't see anything, but he wasn't the shortest person in the world. They'd obviously gotten him in there easy enough. It made him start to wonder about this woman. What could possibly make it so that she was too big to fit into a simple hallway, let alone a prison hallway? He could hear echoes from voices and guessed that it was a decently-sized hallway.

“Too big...what? Is she really big and fat or something?” he asked, the first thing coming to his mind being weight. The place was obviously too big to possibly have someone having a height problem with the area. He couldn't see, but the echoes told him all he needed to know. The only explanation he could think of was that she might have been too heavy to fit through the doorway or whatever entrance there is to this hallway. He may or may not have been thinking in the right direction, but that didn't matter. He was trying to think this out, and that's what he had so far.

He heard a cracked chuckle from behind him. He felt Isabella's head resting on the back of his shoulder as she began to respond to what he had said. “Well, to be honest, I'm not sure, sweetie. But according to the rumors, I would think the situation would be a little different than that. A different kind of big. But hey, whatever. I like you're theory. It's a bit funnier. Anyways, that's all I know about the woman, assuming she's actually real.” She ended her statement there. Mark could feel her face against his shoulder, and wasn't sure if he should feel violated or comforted. He wished that he had Rachel nearby, but Isabella was all he had right now, both for information and for comfort in this place.

He took a deep breath before closing his eyes, accepting the fact that he wasn't going to be seeing anything anytime soon. Still, he wanted to keep the conversation going, especially after that 'real' comment. “Real? What do you mean? You don't think she actually exists?” His curiosity had peaked when Isabella said that. Did she, or someone else here think that this woman was non-existent? That she was just some rumor that was spread by the prison? He didn't know, but he was hoping to find out. He still wanted more information, even if she couldn't give it. Even speculation would be good.

The feeling on his shoulder shifted, slightly, no doubt from her moving her head. She was extremely close to him, but he was blind, at the moment. He needed comfort, deep down, and she was offering it to him. “I can't really say. We've heard of her, had guards come in and say they were taking prisoners to this woman, but none of us have ever seen her. All of the ones who have supposedly gone to see her never returned. For all we know, it's just a ruse to make us think that there's someone actually visiting us. Some think it's just some foolish lie to hide behind the possibility of us being executed.”

Mark gulped after hearing that. He didn't want to be executed, that's for sure. He didn't even know what he did to get thrown into this place, let alone being executed. He had to hope that it never came to that. He felt Isabella's hand on his, and he started gripping onto it, for a moment. “N-Now...you don't think they would be coming to execute...me, would you?! I mean...I don't even know what I did to come here, and I can't even see now! I don't even know what they want with me, or she wants with me, or...anything like that.”

He felt a chill on his neck, and he came to a stop. A cold wind blew onto it and it made his quiver. It was Isabella, or so he assumed. “Does it look like you're being dragged into an execution right now?” she asked. The question went into his head and, of course, nothing like that had happened. All they were doing was talking. He shook his head and told her that he wasn't. This made her continue. “Then calm your butt down, already. They've left you alone, for now. Some prisoners are in here for weeks, or months, before they're taken elsewhere. Besides, it sounded like they needed some information out of you. Until they are able to acquire that information, I think it's safe to say that they're not going to execute you.”

It wasn't terribly comforting, what she said. The fact that they needed him for something was nice, because he wouldn't be executed right away, but the fact that it might still happen wasn't very comforting at all. He didn't say anything. He just lowered his head, losing some strength in his body. He sighed and slowly drooped down to the floor. He felt Isabella still with him, as he did so. She was staying close to him, either to comfort him or for her own reasons. He didn't care, at the moment, though. He was shutting down.

She held onto him as best she could, or so it felt. In the back of his head, he could hear her voice, whispering to him. “There, there...now you're all tired out. There will be plenty of time for questions tomorrow. I'll stay here and sleep with you, so you don't feel lonely. You need a companion in this time of crisis for you, I'd wager. I'll stay and be that companion, until everything is figured out, or something else happens. My arms won't leave you until you're ready. Besides, I need a companion around, too. You're just the person for that, for now...”

Mark drifted off to sleep, almost all of the pain out of his body. He dreamed of a lot of things, but he wondered what happened to Rachel, and is this 'big' woman was real or not...