- Text Size +
Story Notes:

This was my winning contest entry in the Expansion Writer's Club recent contest. In addition to being limited to only one kind of expansion, the contest rules required the inclusion of an original rhyme and a car that wouldn't start.  Such an odd challenge captured my imagination, and the results are here.

Mazel Jurrien was hugging the arm of her fiance, Joshua Oren, as they walked down the street.  She was so proud of Josh;  he was tall and handsome, and in rabbinical studies.

Mazel was what most people called "a cutie." She was barely 4-foot-10, and and had a waist of only 16 inches, with C-cup breasts that looked huge on her petite frame and a curvy yet … well, cute derriere.  She was wearing a short skirt that showed off both her shapely butt and her short but lovely legs, along with a sweater that showed off her upper assets.

Her family had money, but the bigger issue was that she and Josh were deeply in love.  She had told him this would be a marriage made in heaven.  Ever the rabbi-to-be, he would smile at her when she said it and say, "We'll see.  That's up to God."

As they walked down the street, they were stopped when a round woman blocked their path.  She was wearing Native American clothing, although neither Mazel nor Josh knew enough to be able to identify if they represented a particular tribe.

"You," the woman said, looking down at Mazel.  "I think you are the one.  What is your name?"

Mazel looked at Josh, then at the woman.  "I beg your pardon.  What?"

"I need to know," the woman said with a convincing urgency.  "What is your name?"

"Mazel," the tiny woman said.  "Mazel Jurrien."

"Mazel.  Then, yes, you are the one the Great Spirit directed me to," the woman said.  She handed Mazel a piece of paper.  "Say these words as often as you need to in order to defeat evil.  You won't have much time.  Tell the people you love that you love them, or find someone to bear the message for you."  The woman folded the paper into Mazel's fingers.  "My name is Zaltana Payat," the woman said.  "Remember me."

The petite woman tried to ask a question, but Zaltana had already pivoted and left with remarkable speed for a woman so fat.  Zaltana was gone before Mazel could say more than, "Wait!"

Mazel looked at the paper in her hand, then at Josh, then to where Zaltana had gone.  "That was weird," she said.

Josh felt a sudden chill.  "God speaks to us in many ways, including through those who are outside our faith," he said.

Mazel was reading the words on the paper and handed it to Josh.  "Do you really think God is speaking through this?" she asked.

Josh read the words silently, then handed the paper back to Mazel.  "Well, God does have a sense of humor, we're taught," he said, shrugging.

"Yeah, but this?" Mazel said.  She read the words on the paper aloud:

"Upsy Daisy, lazy Mazey.

Time to grow, just don't go crazy."

There was an odd snapping sound that surrounded Mazel as she said the words, as if air had been forced away from her for some reason.  Josh noticed an odd rippling in both Mazel's skirt and sweater, but nothing else seemed to have come of it.  "Are you all right?" he asked.

"Yeah, I think so," Mazel said.  "That was weird.  For a second I felt like I had vertigo."

"That is strange," Josh said.  "Let's get you home."

Mazel thought nothing more about the poem for most of the day.  That evening, she went out for supper with a co-worker, Astrid Kolbyr.  At 5-foot-11, Astrid towered over Mazel, but the two had become friends.  Astrid admired Mazel and Josh's stability and was curious when the wedding would be, while Mazel liked hearing about Astrid's amorous adventures.

Astrid described her date with her latest beau du jour, then asked how things were going between Mazel and Josh.

"Great," Mazel said.

"Did you two set the date today?" Astrid asked.

"We never got the chance," Mazel said.  "We got stopped on the sidewalk by this weird woman, and she gave me this piece of paper, said I didn't have much time and that I had been chosen by the Great Spirit for some fate or other."

"What did the paper say?" Astrid asked.

"Get this," Mazel said.  "It said, 'Upsy Daisy, lazy Mazey.

Time to grow, just don't go crazy.'"

She had no more finished what she was saying when the cracking sound happened around her again.  Astrid saw Mazel's hair flip as if caught in the wind for a moment.  Then she saw her friend leaning forward against the table.

"That happened earlier, too," Mazel said.  "And this time the vertigo is worse."

"You gonna be all right?" Astrid asked.

Mazel nodded as their food was delivered by their waitress.  "Yeah, it's already clearing.  Let's eat."

On going out to leave, the duo discovered Astrid's car wouldn't start.  After a nearly a half-hour of effort, Astrid said, "It's no use.  Want me to call you a cab?"

Mazel smiled.  "Nah.  It's a nice night, and a good neighborhood, and I'm just a few blocks from my place.  I'll hoof it -- if you're gonna be OK here."

"I'll be fine," Astrid said.  "Go.  I'll see you tomorrow."

"See you," Mazel said.

As she was walking home, the rhyme kept popping into Mazel's head.  It was odd that it mentioned "Mazey," her parents' childhood nickname for her.  How many people could that name apply to, even in a city this size?

Without really thinking, Mazel quietly repeated the rhyme as she walked.  As soon as she finished, the crack happened again.  She staggered to a lamppost and leaned against it.  When she stood up, the vertigo was back, stronger than earlier, and wouldn't quite pass.  Her shoes and engagement ring both seemed snug.  What was happening?

The vertigo made Mazel tired.  She went home and forced off her shoes, reluctantly moving her engagement ring to her pinkie.  She switched into her nightie, which seemed slightly smaller.

As she laid down in the bed, Mazel realized that the rhyme's rhythm sounded like a lullaby.  She tried singing it to a simple melody she made up on the spot, only to trigger the cracking sound again, noticeable louder than before.

Since she was lying down, Mazel felt no vertigo this time, but did feel exhausted, as though she had expended a great effort.  The ring hurt her pinkie.  With great difficulty, she groggily pried it off.  Her nightie felt very snug, but she was so tired she couldn't help falling asleep.

When she awoke the next morning, something was clearly wrong.  Mazel's feet had pulled the covers off the end of the bed.  Her nightie ended up above her hips, and felt very tight through the bust.  And everything seemed to have gotten so much smaller, or lower.

It got worse when she tried to get dressed.  Her panties were far too tight, and the tiny bra had no chance of handling her breasts.  But her boobs looked the same size to her, and she checked the bra.  It wasn't some kind of elaborate prank.  It really was hers, and it really was the right size …

… Or what used to be the right size, Mazel thought as her eyes widened.  She realized she had grown, and grown a lot.  Everything had grown proportionally on her, but she was pretty sure she was nearing 6 feet tall.

There was only one way to check her theory, Mazel knew.  Quietly she said:

"Upsy Daisy, lazy Mazey.

Time to grow, just don't go crazy."

Mazel's size skyrocketed.  She had to duck to keep her head from hitting the light fixture in the room, which hung down from the 10-foot ceiling.  She realized, once she got her bearings, that she was now more than 9 feet tall.  Each surge from repeating the rhyme made her grow, not only more, but faster.  The first change must have been a tiny fraction of an inch, and the second only slightly larger.  But, with each repetition, she was getting even bigger, and was now a true giantess.

Using a pen to push the buttons on her cell phone, Mazel first called the office to take a personal day.  (She thought about calling in sick, but it wouldn't do for a rabbi's wife to lie, and she couldn't very well call in big.)  Then she called Josh.  Once she impressed on him that it was an emergency and she needed him, he agreed to come right away.

Josh opened the door, which Mazel had managed to unlock with some difficulty, and staggered at the sight of his fiancee.  Before she had been less than five feet tall and weighed only about 90 pounds.  Now she was nearly twice her old height and weighed more than 700 pounds.

"What happened?" Josh asked.

"The rhyme happened," Mazel said.  "Every time I say it, I get bigger -- and every growth is more than the last time.  The last surge was more than three feet!"

Josh's jaw dropped.  "You mean all this happened just from saying, 'Upsy Daisy, lazy Mazey.

Time to grow, just don't go crazy?'"

To his astonishment -- and Mazel's -- a rumbling sound like thunder came from his fiancee.  Her clothes shredded before his eyes.

She collapsed to her knees as she realized she was growing again.  But that wasn't enough, nor was sitting on the floor.  Finally, Mazel stretched out, leaning on one arm.  Her feet were hitting one wall of her great room, while her shoulders and the arm she was leaning on were against the other.  Her head would graze the ceiling if she sat up;  she was just over 20 feet tall now.

"Um, apparently, it works if I say it, too," said Josh.

"Do me a favor:  Don't say that again,"  Mazel said.

"You've got it," Josh said.  "Still, I can't help but look …"

"Some rabbinical student," said Mazel.  Yet she couldn't help but smile.  Josh was so cute on this scale, and they were engaged.  "Well?" she asked flirtatiously.  "Do you like what you see?"

Josh was moving toward Mazel's enormous breasts.  She had still grown proportionately, but C-cup breasts quadrupled in every dimension, as all her body parts were, became as big as beanbag chairs.  He started to reach for the lower one, which was easier for him to reach, when he hesitated.  "May I?" he asked.

Mazel smiled.  "Sure," she said.  "What are you going to do to me now that I don't want you to do?  But take off those clothes first.  We'll both be more comfortable."

Once stripped, Josh climbed onto Mazel's breast.  With her free hand, she gingerly pushed him up to where he was resting atop one breast with the other against him, but not crushing him. 

They enjoyed pleasuring each other for long enough that they lost track of time.  Then they heard it, and they both looked at each other, panic-stricken.  The sound was the most horrific they had ever heard.  It sounded like a voice, but it also sounded as though being positioned too close to it could rip the soul from a human being.

"I am Hawiovi Ahiliya," the voice that sounded like death said.  "I will eat your world in 53 of your minutes.  Prepare your souls.  You will all die today.  Maybe your gods will spare your spirits;  I will not."

Mazel knew they needed to see what was happening, and that there was no time for daintiness here.  She swung her hips so she could kick out the outside wall of the apartment, then climbed down, with Josh, who had snagged and thrown on his pants, on her colossal shoulder.  She wasn't worried about clothing; there was no time.

One look at the sky told them things were bad.  What wasn't the color of flowing blood was the color of dried blood.

Josh cued up the network news app on his smart phone.  He played it so Mazel could hear.

"Scientists are confirming -- Oh, God -- they're confirming something is out there in space," the female daytime anchorwoman said.  "It's … It's so big, and it is hovering around the Earth, about to envelop the whole planet."


Mazel looked down at Josh, who was looking up at her.  Both of them could hear Zaltana's words: "Say these words as often as you need to in order to defeat evil.  You won't have much time.  Tell the people you love that you love them, or find someone to bear the message for you."

"Oh, God," said Mazel.  "I've been chosen."

Josh nodded.  Tears began running down his cheeks.  "This isn't magic, but it is supernatural," he said.  "You should be able to defy the laws of physics if this is the spiritual battle I think it is."

Mazel nodded.  Tears were already streaming down her cheeks, too.  Both knew what this meant.

She looked down at him.  "Why is it giving us time?" she asked.

"It may not have a choice because of the magic that it's using," he said.  "You do, though.  You don't have to do this."

Mazel looked up.  "Yes, I do," she said.  "If I don't, not only do I die, but so does everyone I love -- including you."  Now she was sobbing silently.

"I love you, too." Josh said.

Mazel scooped Josh up and kissed him, then held him to her breasts.  Then she gently pulled him back.  "Keep repeating the rhyme until you're sure I'm big enough.  If you're not sure, keep repeating it."

Josh nodded.

"And tell my Mom and Dad, and my sister, and all my friends that I love them -- that I'm doing this for them, and for you," Mazel said.

"I will," Josh said.  "I will always love you, Mazel."

"I love you always, too, my Josh," Mazel said.  Then she gently placed him on the ground, closed her eyes, and started repeating the rhyme.  Josh immediately did the same.

Within seconds, Mazel was 250 feet tall.  Still repeating the rhyme, she took a few strides to get herself out of the city and started to surge upwards even higher.

Soon Mazel was 780 feet tall and had managed to get to some farmland.  She hoped the soil would hold her weight, then realized that, if she truly was chosen, it would.  She repeated the rhyme again.

Mazel had two surges, one a few seconds after she completed the rhyme.  Josh was following instructions.  When the second ended, she a mile and a third tall.  The rhyme would need to be repeated at least a few more times, she knew.

Mazel quickly found herself rising above the clouds.  She realized her center of gravity was high enough now that, by folding herself into a ball, she could get off Earth due to her own gravity.  She pulled her feet up to herself, and floated off the Earth.

At that moment, the creature surrounding the Earth noticed Mazel.  "A guardian?" Hawiovi Ahiliya said.  "But you are so tiny, little guardian.  You will be but an appetizer for me."

About that time, both Mazel and Josh finished the rhyme.  She swelled to about 10 times her immediately prior height, reaching 1,112 miles tall.  "I'm not your appetizer," she said, beginning the rhyme again.

Hawiovi Ahiliya reached for Mazel with a tendril of its plasma-cloud self, but it wasn't used to having to move with speed.  Mazel dodged, continuing the rhyme as she did.  When she and Josh each reached the end this time, she had cleared 9,000 miles tall, and started the rhyme again.

"No!" shouted Hawiovi Ahiliya.  "How can this be?  No guardian has grown so fast, nor so large!"

Mazel swelled, extending to 82,000 miles tall.  "Maybe they weren't chosen," she said, then started the rhyme again.

Now panicking, Hawiovi Ahiliya tried to flee, but it was no faster at that than it had been at snagging Mazel.  Her next surges carried her to nearly 700,000 miles tall.  She caught Hawiovi Ahiliya's entire plasma cloud in her hands even as she repeated the rhyme one last time.

Mazel's form ballooned to 12 million miles tall.  "I'm not your appetizer," she said to Hawiovi Ahiliya.  "You're mine."  She popped the plasma creature in her mouth and swallowed.

Mazel realized she was growing again.  Josh must have repeated the rhyme again.  When it stopped, she was so big she covered almost the entire distance between the Earth and its sun.  She guesstimated her height was now 82 million miles tall.

She also realized that her gravity was not impacting the Earth, nor its moon or solar system.  Josh had been right.  The supernatural force that chose her, whatever it was, wanted the Earth safe.

Mazel, despite no longer needing to breathe nor having air in her lungs, sighed.  She could explore the solar system now, but her life on Earth was over.  Still, it had been worth it.  She had saved the people she loved, including her beloved Josh.

Positioning herself above the Western Hemisphere of the Earth, Mazel smiled and gave a finger-wave.  She blew the planet (and one resident in particular) a kiss, then moved off to the solar system's edge.  She didn't want to endanger the Earth by blocking the sun.  Besides, she had her new life now, as the guardian of the Earth's solar system.  Based on what Hawiovi Ahiliya had said, there was a need for such things, and she had been chosen.

On Earth, Josh saw Mazel's wave, then saw her move off.  He smiled as he realized his love had saved him, and his world.  He sighed as he realized there would be no wedding. 

Josh started up to the rubble of the apartment to get the rest of his clothes.  He would keep his promise to Mazel and let her family and friends know she had done what she did for love of them.

Then he smiled.  He would also need to look into whether any space programs, government or private, were interested in launching a rabbi into space -- especially one who was engaged to the giantess who saved the world.  A reunion, and maybe even a wedding, were a long shot, but not completely out of the question -- not where the being who chose Mazel was concerned.