- Text Size +

Alice bit her lip nervously, her hand moved fluidly twisting her hair in knots around her knuckles. She took deep breaths, her right foot shuffled side to side as she waited anxiously. She had spent hours that morning picking out her clothes to make a good impression. A simple grey t-shirt draped over her body with a low V-neck line. It looked like a short dress the way it flowed down over her hips. She had a beaded necklace that curved over her small breasts. She wore a pair of black shorts that were hidden under her t-shirt and underneath those a pair of shiny black leggings, ending in a pair of light brown boots. She found some comfort in gripping tightly to her chewed up military jacket.

Her mother had convinced her that this would be an exciting new time for all of them. The whole family had packed up and moved across the country for her father’s new job. They had had trouble finding a college that would accept Alice. She wasn’t a bad student in any way, far from it. But she had to be looked after 24/7.

Her mother enrolled her in Haylesbury’s school for modern art, in an introductory course before choosing a specialist path. Alice had been out of school for a long time, all she did all day was sketch away in lieu if other things to do. When she was drawing or painting she felt like she was herself again. She wished she was knee deep in a painting now rather than just waiting. She sat down and leaned back against a large plastic-feeling pillar. Her fingers still playing with the dark strands of hair that fell past her shoulders. A full-fat fringe skimmed across her equally dark eyebrows. Her other hand raised to her lips as she chewed on her sleeve nervously.

‘It’s going to be okay’ she told herself

She heard the first banging sound that indicated her day was about to begin. Her mother had dropped her off early as the way she had asked her to, so she could have some time to prepare.

She stood up, her bag hanging over her shoulder and her hands by her sides. The first shadowy figures appeared behind the frosted glass of the door. There was a loud clicking sound as the handle turned. Booming chatter filled the room, Alice stood there looking giant bodies shuffled in. Her breathing became rapid. She knew this was going to happen, but nothing could prepare her for the swaying enormous hips bumping and crashing into each other as her classmates found their seats. She swallowed the lump in her throat and slowly she walked forward to the edge of the desk. Everyone went quiet, staring intently at the tiny girl slowly walking across Mr. Andrews’ desk. She rubbed her right hand up and down her left arm, looking out to a sea of intimidating faces.

‘I’ Alice began but another figure walked in behind her.

It was Mr. Andrews, she had met him when she had applied for the course. He smiled down at her warmly.

‘Well everyone, I can tell you’ve all noticed we have a new student’ he looked down at her, ‘why don’t you go ahead and introduce yourself’ he spoke to her gently.

‘I’m Alice’ she squeaked out. No one dared utter a laugh, they were too transfixed, their eyes burning holes in her. ‘I moved here with my family. Since I caught the shrinking virus... well, this is the first time I've been allowed out on my own, and I'm hoping to meet some new friends that aren't part of a shrinking support group’ she laughed nervously, and looked back up at Mr. Andrews to signal that she was done.

‘That’s great, well to get you started I’m going to pair you up with George. He’ll be able to fill you in on what everyone is doing’ He placed his hand palm up in front of Alice. She lifted herself onto the structure and felt the cool rush of air as he carried her through the classroom. As quickly she had been picked her up she was put down. She climbed off on to the stained wood of the desk and again found herself looking up, up to the boy towering over her.

He extended his index finger towards her, she took it in both hands and shook it. Grinning up uneasily at George.

‘Right everyone knows what they’re doing so I’ll be around if you need any help’ Mr. Andrews wandered to the back of the room and started discussing the work with a small chattering group in the corner.

Alice looked back at George, he had dark hair, cut short at the sides. His fringe rolled out in waves, crashing across his head.

‘I like your hair’ Alice said, not really knowing what to say at all.

George smiled back at her, every inch of his mouth was perfect. His teeth were marble sculpted, a shining natural white. As he spoke she could taste the mint on his breath flicker with every word.

‘So I guess we’re partners then’ he said.

‘Looks like it’

‘They're all working on individual projects. Mr. Andrews spoke to me yesterday, he told me you’d be coming’

‘Oh’

‘Don’t worry, we’re going to be partnered on our project’

‘I can manage on my own just the same’ she said back abruptly overcoming her shyness.

‘I'm really only here to look out for you, and catch you up with what we've been doing, we don't have to do any work together. But I think it might be pretty cool if we did. If you want to that is’

She looked at George and could see he was getting a little nervous himself.

‘Sure’ she beamed up at him and laughed. She climbed onto his thumb. ‘Lift me up then’ she called, ‘I can’t keep yelling’

George brought his other hand around her, cupping her in his palm. He was careful to have his thumb cross over her waist than somewhere less appropriate. She was lifted to his shoulder. With delicate steps she placed herself close to his neck. At four centimetres tall she still had to stand enpointe to reach his ear.

‘What kind of art do you normally do?’ George asked

His trembling shoulder ushered her forward. She reached out Grabbing George's lobe with both hands to steady herself.

‘Painting and drawing mainly. I've been working on computers lately, y'know the touch screen ones. It's a lot easier than holding a pencil’ she laughed.

Her voice tingled in his ear, he felt her warm breath against his neck, and the cool of finger tips tap against his skin. From this close she sounded almost the same as anyone else. Her voice was a little lower and smoother than other girls he knew. But he liked it. He felt a lump in his throat and quickly tried to distract himself.

'Maybe we should do a drawing then, we could work from the last picture you did if that's cool' 

‘My last picture was of me sitting on the sink watching myself with a glass of wine and a book in the bath’ after she finished she felt herself turning red. Five minutes in and already burning up with fevered embarassment.

She saw George picking up a sketching pencil, his arm moved across the paper. Thick dark strokes outlined a shapely figure, her leg in the air relaxing back with a good book and a glass of wine. His hand rose back up and Alice climbed into the palm. She pulled out a thick wedge of charcoal from her pocket. She walked across the page and kneeled down at the large circle that formed the head. She lay on her side, her legs bent back and she stretched her arm forward sketching in the content expression on the girl’s face.

George smiled again, he began adding in the larger features of the bathroom, the sink, a hanging mirror and a unit of corner shelves filled with all kinds of beauty products. While he drew he realised what he was doing, he was drawing Alice. He was drawing Alice naked. He was drawing Alice naked in his bathroom. He tried to push the thought out of his mind. Which wasn't that easy when she stretched out face down in front of him. It didn't take him long to start stealing glances at her.

For over an hour the pair were engrossed in documenting the scene. For George it was the curves and visual appeal while Alice’s keen eye and small stature let her filter in detail where no one else could. As they drew a figure walked up behind them.

George jumped out of his skin feeling the hand touch his shoulder.

‘Easy there’ the girl laughed

‘Oh, hi Izzy’ George said back sheepishly

‘Are you going to introduce me?’

‘I think I just did’ George joked

Alice sat with her legs tucked away underneath her looking up at the giant girl.

‘Alice, this is Isabel’

‘Izzy’ she corrected him

Izzy had waves of white blonde hair that spiralled down in a twist in front of her ears. The rest of her hair was pulled back in a bun tied up with a flowery band. A thin layer of gloss highlighted her pink lips as she spoke. Her skin was fair but tanned as if she had just come back from a holiday.

Izzy stretched her hand down a little too fast, her finger hit Alice in the stomach.

‘Sorry I didn’t mean to do that, I’m so sorry are you alright?’ she sounded concerned

Alice gripped her stomach and took a deep breath.

‘I’m fine’ she squeaked up with an unconvincing wheeze, ‘you just caught me off guard’ she smiled up at her, her voice was still a little shaky.

‘I’ll leave you two to it, it looks great. I’m really sorry’ Izzy said one last time on her way back to her seat.

 

Izzy fell into her seat with a huff and a thump.

‘So’ Jessica said to her

‘That little bitch is trying to steal George from me’ she whispered

‘George isn’t your boyfriend’

‘Not with that little slut around’

Jessica sighed knowing that Izzy was ruthless when she wanted something she couldn’t have. Jealous and possessive weren't strong enough to describe her.

‘So what are you going to do about it?’  Knowing that Izzy could be a little crazy, especially when it came to boys. She asked because one way or another she'd be dragged into it, so she might as well get in on the ground floor of the fun.

‘The class is almost over’ was all Izzy said.

 

The clock ticked over to eleven, everyone began grabbing their bags.

‘I’ve got a free period now’ George said, ‘do you need a lift somewhere?’

‘Art history if you don’t mind?’

Alice felt a shadow creep up on her, she turned to see Izzy standing over her.

‘Did you say art history?’ Izzy interrupted, ‘looks like we’ve got the same class, I can take you if you’re okay with it. I want to make up for earlier with you. I mean we’re both going the same way’

Alice looked hesitantly up at George and then back to Izzy.

‘Okay’

Izzy placed her hand flat on the desk with her palm up. Letting her little classmate climb on.

‘I’ll see you later George’ she called out.

Izzy turned around biting her tongue as she carried Alice from the room. It didn’t take long for Jessica to catch up with the pair.

They turned left down a corridor.

‘Isn’t the art history lecture the other way?’ Alice called up

‘I don’t know, I’ve got a free period now’ Izzy answered back.