- Text Size +

During lunch, I looked around for my friends, but I couldn't see any of them.  I decided to sit with my sister.


"Hey, dork," I greeted her.


"What do you want?" she said.


"Can't find anyone to sit with," I said.


"Well what makes you think I'll let you sit next to me?" she asked.


"Politeness, friendliness, I don't know."


"Well, fine.  I guess you can," she said, making as little room as possible for me to sit down.


She was sitting with a bunch of her friends; annoying freshman girls.  I did not say another word after I sat down.  As soon as I finished eating, I stood up, threw my trash away, and walked around, looking for anyone I knew.  Suddenly, I heard someone call my name.  I recognized the voice, vaguely, though I couldn't figure out who it was.  Feminie, confident... I turned around to see who it was.


It was... what was her name?  Natalie, Nataline, something like that.  What does she want with me?


"Bill!" she yelled again.


"Yes?" I asked, walking over to her.


"You look lost," she said.  "I thought you may want to sit near someone you 'knew,'" she said, mocking Mrs. O'Neal.


"Alright," I said.  Did I really have anyone else to sit with?  If I didn't sit here, I was probably just going to wander the halls aimlessly for the rest of lunch, which wasn't much fun.


I sat down next to her.  How on earth was she wearing that jacket?  It may be fall, the first day of school, but they kept the school as hot as an oven.


I have always been particuarly senseative about my height, especially around girls.  As soon as I sat down next to her, I noticed how tall she was.  Sitting, she was about about the same height as me, which meant that the other three inches she had on me were all in her legs.


I looked around.  I didn't recognized anyone I was sitting with.  They were all junior-looking girls.


Nataline turned to me.  "What did you do over the summer?"


"Oh," I said, surprised she was actually talking to me.  "Nothing much.  I went hiking and rafting with my Boy Scout Troop, and I-"


"You're in Boy Scouts?" she asked.


"Uh, yeah," I said.  "I'm almost an Eag-"


"I'm in Girl Scouts!" she said.  "It's so much fun!  I'm a Senior Scout, and I'm about to learn my Gold Award!  For my project, I'm doing a toy drive to collect toys for impoverished kids!"


"Cool.  Like I was saying, we hiked some of the Appalachian Trail, and rafted down the Nantahala River, in North Carolina."  I paused, making sure she wasn't going to interrupt me again.  "I'm almost an Eagle Scout."


"That's interresting," she said.  "What are you doing for your service project?"


"I'm making a sandbox at the local park."


"That's cool."


"Do you have anything to eat?" Nataline asked.  I had just been sitting there while the others ate, since I had already finished my lunch.


"Oh, no, but thanks, but I'm fine.  I actually already a-"


"Here, here," she said, handing me a bag of chips.


"Thanks, but I already ate my lunch."  I said, handing the chips back to her.


"No, no, I insist," she said.  "Take the chips."  With that, she put the chips back in my hands, a bit more forcefully.  "I have plenty to eat."


"Thanks," I mumbled, and opened the chips.  I didn't dislike the chips, which were Doritos, the ones in the red bag (though their name is now escaping me).  I just didn't want to take her chips from her.  I slowly ate the chips.


The less I talked, the more I looked around.  And as I looked around, I became increasingly aware of how much taller than me she was.  I may have only been 3 inches, but still.  I looked at how she was sitting.  I tried to mirror it, but her legs we too long.


Finally, the bell rang.  As the whole table stood up, I finally got a good comparison of how tall she is. Her legs were very long.  My legs were a pretty normal length of just under half my body's total length, or around 32 inches.  Her's were almost abnormaly long.  If half her height was 35 inches, plus 3 inches longer, that makes her legs 38 inches, or 54% of her body.  On top of that, they were six inches longer than my legs.  Her butt was at my  belly button, and her lips at my eyes.


I managed to remove my eyes from her legs, and began to walk back to my classroom.  Suddenly, I felt someone from behind grab me.  They wrapped their arms around me in a hug.  I could tell from the black sleeves that it was Nataline, plus the fact that her camel's toe was on my lower back.  From how it felt, it felt like she would have some fairly nice looking boobs if she actually took her jacket off, but that probably wouldn't happen any time soon.


"Yes?" I said, wondering why she was hugging me.


"Oh," she said.  "One of my friends bet me 5 dollars I wouldn't run up behind you and hug you.  So thanks for helping me earn 5 dollars!"


"Ok," I said slowly.  "No problem."


With that, I walked back to Mrs. O'Leary's room.  I sat back down in my seat, and put my head down waiting for class to start.


After a couple minutes, someone sat down in the desk infront of me, rather roughly.  I looked up to see who it was.


"Hey," Hannah said.


"Hey."


"So..."


"Yeah?"


"Who'd you get grouped with?"


"I don't know yet," I said.  "Remember?  The bell rang before Mrs. O'Leary could announce anything."


"Right," she said. As the rest of the class filled in, Hannah got up, and moved back to her seat in the back of the room.


The bell rang for class to start.  Mrs. O'Leary stood up, and walked to the front of the room.


"Like I was saying," Mrs. O'Leary said, clearing her throat, "Group one: Mike, Jordan, Tyrone, Ravi, and Jason."


Mike, Jordan, Tyrone, Ravi, and Jason stood up and walked to the front of the room, clustered together.  Each of the kids exchanged brief sentances, like "'sup," or "hey."


"Group two: Annie, Jasmine, Rebecca, D'Asia, and Lizzy."


Again, all of those people stood up and walked to the front of the room.


"Group three: Tyler, Austin, Carter, Derrick, and Ian."


At this point, I came to the realization that all of the groups were grouped by gender.


"Group four: Marrissa, Laura, Jasmine, and Stella."


Well, almost all of them.


"Group five: Bill, Hannah, Nataline, Jessica, and Stephanie."


'Great,' I thought.  'An all-girl group.  I can already tell this year'll suck.'


With all of the kids in groups, we arranged the tables in groups of five, and sat down in them.


"Now," Mrs. O'Leary instructed, "You are to get to know your groups better.  You have half an hour.  Each group must also come up with 3 must-know facts about each of the group members, and report back to the class once you're done."


"Ok," Hannah started.  "I'll go first.  In my free time, I enjoy listening to any music, mainly heavy metal.  I have no formal religion, as I think religion, including atheism, it too corruptable.  I am, as I already stated, bisexual.  I really want to get a nose ring, but my mom won't let me.  I play flute, and am in the school's marching band.  I'm 5'9" tall, and have wear a women's size 9 shoe.  My favorite class is math, because I'm good at it.  I love to wear high heels, even though people always complain about me wearing them."


"Ok, thanks."  Jessica said.  "My name's Jessica.  Like I said, I'm interested in health, and want to be a doctor when I grow up.  I play clarinet in the school's band, and am also in the marching band.  I'm 5'5" inches tall, and, if I might as well continue the trend, I wear a women's size 7 shoe.  I'm Buddhist, and my favorite type of music is just whatever's popular."


"Ok, thank you Jessica," Nataline said.  "My name's Nataline.  I love One Direction and Justin Bieber, and other popular artists.  I love shopping for clothes.  I wear a women's size 11 shoe, and like wearing high-heel boots.  I'm 5'10" tall, though I'm supposed to grow to 6' tall, based off of my parent's heights.  I'm in Girl Scouts, and am almost the highest rank.  I love playing volleyball, too.  I'm also, like, always cold, too.  That's why I always wear a jacket."


"Very cool," Stephanie said, annunciating the world "cool" as a pun.  "I'm Stephanie.  I like playing pretty much any sports, but my favorites are softball and swimming.  I'm 5'8" tall, Christian, and my favorite class is Science, because it's the least boring one.  I wear a women's size 8 shoe, and like to try on new clothes.  I enjoy listening to pop as well, and my favorite movie was, well, probably 'Up,' or something like that.  I play flute in the schools band, though I'm not in marching band."


"Alright," I said, not really wanting to go.  "My name's Bill.  I'm 5'7" tall, and wear a men's size 7 shoe.  I know, I know, I've got small feet.  My favorite class is world history, because I find history interesting.  I enjoy a very wide range of music, though my favorites are oldies and classic rock.  I'm a Life Scout in Boy Scouts, but am about to reach Eagle.  I have several jobs.  My first was working the concessions stand at my local swim club, though I also have a yard service.  I have a younger sister named Jennifer, but she's spoiled and lazy, and never does anything but gets everything she wants.  I play trumpet, and am also in the school's marching band, and jazz band.  That's about it," I said, wrapping up my groups conversation.


"Ok, now we have to find important facts to share with the rest of class," Jessica said.


"Oh, I know!" Stephanie said.  "How about our favorite animals?  I like birds."


"Alright," Nataline said.  "Mine's a cat."


"Mine's a dog," I said.


"I like lizards," Jessica said.


"Lizards?" Hannah asked.  "I've got a snake."


"Ok," I said.  "How about our heights?  I'm 5'7""


"I'm 5'8"," Stephanie said, "and Nataline's 5'10", and Hannah's 5'9", and Jessica's 5'5" tall."


"Alright," Hannah said.  "We need one more."


"One minute-warning!" Mrs O'Leary yelled.


"I don't know," Nataline stammered.


"How about our jobs?" I asked.


"I don't have one," Nataline said.


"Me neither," Jessica replied.


"I don't have one either," Hannah said.


"Never had one," Stephanie said.  "We've got to choose another one."


"How about bra size?" Hannah joked.


"I don't have one," I said.


"Well, then just say that," Nataline said.


"Times up!" yelled the teacher.


"Darn it!" I said.  We didn't have time to pick another one.


All of the other groups went up and presented, individually, of course.  The facts ranged from the number of dates they've been on to how often they cut their nails.  Finally, mine was the last to go.


We stood in a line.  I ended up in the middle, with Hannah to my left and Nataline to my right.  Furthest left was Stephanie, and furthest right was Jessica.
"Our first fact," Jessica said, "Is our height.  I'm 5'5" tall, the shortest height for our group."


I thought the last part was an unneccessary addition, but didn't stop everything to question it.


Continuing in the right-left order, Nataline went next.  "I'm 5'10" tall, our group's tallest."


"I'm 5'7" tall," I said, "my group's second shortest."


"I'm 5'9" tall," Hannah said, "my group's second tallest."  She put extra annuncuation on the word "tall," as if mocking me.


"I'm 5'8" tall," Stephanie said, "the middle height for our group."


With that, we started the order back over again.


"Next," Jessica announced, "our favorite animal.  Mine's a lizard."


"Mine are cats," Nataline said.  "I love cats.  I have two at home, one naimed'Snowball,' and the other one's named 'Tom,' like the cat from the cartoon!"

 

"I like dogs," I said, shortly.

 

"My favorite animal's the snake," Hannah said.  That was followed by several shrieks from the girls in out classroom.  "I have a pet Bullsnake at home.  He's really cool."


"I like birds."  Stephanie said. "My favorite type of bird is the parakeet."


"And our final fact is," Jessica laughed nervously, "our bra size."


The class burst out laughing.  For a reason I can't begin to fathom, Mrs. O'Leary didn't interrupt and go, like most teachers would, "No, no!  Choose something more appropriate!"  She just let it happen.


"I am an A-Cup," Jessica said.


"I've got D's," Nataline said.


"I'm a guy."  That was followed by a bit of laughter


"I've got B-Cups, but I'm taking some breast-enhancement pills," Hannah said, never fearing a word she said.


"I've got C-cups," Stephanie said.


With that, the bell rang, and our first day back at school was over.