- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
30000 read count :D That's in half the time compared to my last story. Thank you to everyone who finds an interest in my stories and helps me with reviews :)

In this chapter, Dan goes to the beach with his old friend Andy. Enjoy :)
__________________________________

Dan -


Another day comes around and everything is starting to work out.

Last night I went home after the events in Christy's house and me and Jess watched TV until late at night. This is partly to forget about Christy and also partly to get to know each other better.

I made her a makeshift bed which I placed on top of her old bed. However she insisted that I move her to my room in case she needed any help, so she's now on my nightstand.


Waking up from a peaceful sleep, I drag myself out of bed and throw on a t-shirt and shorts before checking to see if Jess is awake.

Jess is still sound asleep so I head downstairs to make breakfast.

Today I have a lot of things to do since I'm completely independant now. I don't want to tell anyone about what happened to my parents or even my sister just yet, mainly because of the problems it could cause.

First of all I would not have the courage to tell anyone who actually did it and secondly, who knows what would happen to me and Jess; we could be separated and put in some orphanage and be adopted for all I know.

Since I have nothing to do, I decide that today I'll go down to the beach with a friend I've known since I was a kid.

Leaving Jess to her own devices watching TV with her breakfast laid out before her, I head out to the beach, making sure to lock the door behind me.

It's early in the day so there are only small groups of people on the beach, most of them have only just arrived.

My friend Andy doesn't need to know a thing about my parents or my sister. Even though he has been my best friend for years, there is no way I'm telling him about anything.

I haven't seen him for weeks so I'm sure he'll be happy to see me.

After walking for two minutes to his house, I approach his front door and ring the doorbell, having to stand on my toes slightly to reach.

The door opens, revealing his older sister, still in her pajamas and appearing as though she just woke up.

His sister is a head taller than me, her long black hair is strewn all over the place and she's having to squint her eyes in order to get used to the brightness. Her name is Isabel and to be honest, she is one of the coolest people I know as she shares the same personality as Andy.

I think it would be weird to think of her as anything other than a friend, so whenever I'm around her I try my best not to see her as the hot eighteen year old she is.

I feel awkward standing in front of her because I've never actually spoken to her. Thankfully she is the first to speak, meaning I don't have to trip over my words and embarass myself.

"Oh, hey *yawn* you're Andy's friend right?" She asks, tilting her head down slightly to look me in the eye, yawning openly.

"Yeah, is he around?" I ask in reply, anxiously peering around her and into the house.

Before she can answer there is another voice shouting from inside, which sounds like it belongs to his mother.

"Who's at the door?" The voice shouts, the question directed at Isabel.

"It's one of Andy's friends, should I tell him?" She replies, turning around and yelling back into the house.

Tell me what? Has something happened to Andy? Surely he hasn't...

I'm snapped out of my thoughts when his mom walks up to the door alongside Isabel.

"Hi Dan, listen, why don't you come take a seat inside and I'll get you something to drink?" His mom implies softly, gesturing towards the living room.

I'm obviously about to receive some very important news about Andy.

Stepping inside, Isabel walks ahead of me into the living room and Andy's mom jogs upstairs. I take off my shoes slowly and purposefully to avoid having to wait in the room alone with Isabel, since I'd probably be too nervous to talk to her.

"Come wait in here Dan, my mom is just getting Andy..." She calls from around the door, interrupting me from my time wasting.

Shuffling nervously into the room, I look around at the brightly decorated walls.

I hate how nervous I am when I see Isabel sitting on one of the sofas on her own and how I instinctively go towards the other sofa to avoid having to speak to her.

To my dissapointment and to add to my discomfort, she pats her hand on the seat next to her, indicating that she wants me to sit there.

Reluctantly I walk over to her sofa, avoiding eye contact with her at all costs.

I slump down next to her, making sure not to look too uncomfortable.

"So, how is your sister?" She abrubtly asks, catching me off guard.

"She's good." I quickly answer, not wanting to dwell on the topic of my family for any longer.

"I see, still having trouble with her? I mean, not because she's trouble, just because... you know..." She trails off awkwardly, making me slightly more at ease. Isabel is obviously very well informed about my sister, both because of Andy and because she is in the same grade as Jess in school.

"Oh, no she's fine now." I reply, trying my best to sound sincere and becoming a little more comfortable now that we're talking.

"That's good to hear, I never really get the chance to talk to her, we should meet up sometime." She says, more to herself than to me.

As if on queue, her mom walks in and sits across from us, shielding something behind her back, out of sight.

Isabel turns to look at me, her eyes are full of sympathy as she anticipates my reaction to what I'm about to see.

I suspected that this was the case, I just didn't expect Andy to be affected too.

"Dan, I'm sure you've heard about the shrinking and I'm sorry to say that Andy was affected too." She informs me, bringing 8" Andy around in front of her.

The sight of him does not alarm me because I've grown accustomed to smaller people.

I know that Andy probably feels vulnerable right now, so I put a lot of effort into making him feel comfortable about his situation.

"Hey Andy, so it got you too huh?" I ask cheerfully, attempting to break the ice.

"Yeah, hehe, I sure got a surprise when I woke up a couple days ago." He laughs, apparently not too phased by his predicament.

"I bet you did, what's it like being smaller?" I question again, deciding to lay off on the questions after this.

"It's weird, but it's cool at the same time, for example I can do parkour anywhere I want. But of course it doesn't come without it's extreme disadvantages aswell." He reasons, laughing still.

"I can imagine. So, the reason I came here was to see if you wanted to come to the beach with me, but I guess that could be a problem now..." I explain, pointing out the obvious while trying not to hurt his feelings.

"Come on Dan, just because I'm 8" tall doesn't mean I can't go to the beach with you." He argues, whilst maintaining his cheerful attitude.

However after this statement, his mother interjects, visibly troubled by his statement.

"Andy honey, I don't think that's the best idea. I'm sure you two could handle yourselves at the beach but there are some bad people out there..." She reasons, talking down to Andy.

"Mom, I'm not a kid, I'll be fine, just let me go with him, seriously." He answers, sounding frustrated by her protective attitude towards him.

He turns to me and Isabel with a look of desperation, waiting for me or his sister to counter her argument.

This time it's Isabel's turn to speak.

"Mom, I could go with both of them, I've been wanting to go to the beach anyway. I could watch Andy and make sure nothing happens." She volunteers, feeling her brother's desperation.

His mom thinks for a second, before sighing and giving us the approval.

"Fine, but I want you to look out for him ok?" She asks, mainly directed at Isabel his older sister.

"Of course, I'll never take my eyes off him." She responds positively, reassuring her mother.


After the coversation comes to an end, Andy's mom leaves him with me on the sofa, while Isabel goes upstairs to get changed for the beach.

We sit and talk while we wait for his sister, catching up on things we've missed over the past few weeks.

It's hard to leave out all of the events that I've experienced recently, but I manage to keep everything a secret. The only time I would ever tell anyone was if it came to the point where I was in trouble. This family would be the first to find out given that I know them so well.

Andy grew up with his mom and his sister since his dad left when he was young. I've been his friend since we were kids and we always used to go down to the beach together.

I'm glad to see that nothing has changed even after he's been reduced to 8" tall.

Just then, Isabel walks into the room carrying a bag over her shoulder. She's wearing a bright pink bikini which shows off her perky C-cup breasts and slim figure.

"Ok guys, ready to go?" She asks, her eyes sparkling as she speaks.

I'm unable to answer, but Andy manages to answer after giving me a punch in the arm, which feels more like a tap.

"Yup, let's go Isabel." He answers, before squinting his eyes at me.

We laugh at this because he more than acknowledges that he has a hot sister, but he would never admit it, Isabel just looks at us with a puzzled expression.

Waving goodbye to his mom, we set off towards the beach, which is less than a two minute walk from the house.


Isabel is carrying Andy in her hand next to her stomach so that he has something to lie back on. He looks like he's taking his new height pretty well, a lot better than Jess originally did.

The walk to the beach is relaxing especially in this warm weather. We talk to each other about school and Andy's new height, discussing our opinions on how the shrunken people will fit into society.

Isabel believes that eventually everyone will be accepted into society but it could bring complications and risks if taller people and shrunken people are always near each other in public.

Andy says that nothing will change and everyone will still see smaller people as normal people. He thinks that the height will just appear as a physical defect to most people and nothing else will be said about it.

I just agree with them both, not really feeling in the mood to talk about the topic since my whole family has been affected.

We finally arrive at the beach and to our surprise it is packed more than ever with people, amongst them are groups of people who have shrunk.

Me and Isabel stroll across the sand looking for some place to lay down. Isabel is shielding her eyes from the sun, scanning the beach for a good spot. A few feet away there is a large clearing with lots of open space, so I decide to point it out.

"Hey Isabel, there's a good spot over there." I tell her, pointing at the open space.

"Oh, awesome, let's go." She replies, heading towards the fine untouched sand.

Setting down our towels, we both lay down to rest for a while, looking out at the ocean and the people going about their business on the beach.

To my left are a group of shrunken people playing volleyball with a miniature net and ball. It looks as though they're a group of friends who must have known each other before they shrank. By looking at them, they seem to be around 10" tall, with the tallest being 12".

Andy is resting on Isabel's stomach and I notice that he's also looking over at the group. Seeing as he looks interested in the activity, I decide to encourage him to go and play with them.

"Why don't you go over there and see if they'll let you play?" I ask, glancing from Andy to the group of people.

"Yeah, I will." He replies, looking determined.

Me and Isabel are watching him walk the short distance to the people when suddenly a group of normal sized kids run up to them and pull the net from out of the sand.

One of the volleyball players shouts at them for taking the net but they are already running away with it.

Isabel stands up and in anger runs over to the kid carrying the net, before snatching it out of his hands. The boy then proceeds to cry, running over to his family.

She walks calmly over to where the group were playing volleyball and places the net back where it was, smiling down at them and waving at Andy.

When she gets back to the towel, I congratulate her for her heroics and she laughs.

"Well, I wasn't just going to let them get away with it." She reasons with a smile, watching Andy intently as he joins in with the group.

"I think kids need to be taught how to treat smaller people, oh... uh, you might want to turn around, that boy is back with his mom." I inform her, nodding towards the annoying kid with his mother in tow.

The thirty something woman looks over at Isabel where her son is pointing and she struts arrogantly towards us.

"Excuse me, did you take my son's toy?" She asks, obviously angry that her son is upset.

"Hi and no, your son interrupted those people over there by taking their volleyball net and running off with it, so I got it back for them." Isabel explains with a warm smile, pointing at the group.

Before anyone can say another word, this woman struts over to the people playing volleyball and just like her son, reaches down to pick up the net, completely ignoring the protests of those around her legs.

Me and Isabel are completely dumbfounded as she hands the net over to her son.

Just then, Andy runs up to her and taps her on the back of her leg to get her attention.

Turning around the woman looks down at Andy with a puzzled expression, before Andy talks up to her, requesting that she give the net back because it isn't hers.

"Excuse me, that's our volleyball net, not your son's toy." He explains calmly, having to crane his neck to look up at her.

To our surprise, she looks around for a moment and instead of replying she pushes Andy into the sand with the sole of her foot. She does this quickly before walking away, thinking nobody was looking.

Andy stands up and dusts himself off, visibly shocked by her actions.

Isabel on the other hand is already on a collision course with the woman, who is currently walking confidently back towards her towel.

Isabel tackles the woman around her waist, knocking her to the ground and pinning her down. Her eyes are burning with anger as she screams at her for what she did.

"How dare you do that to my brother! Do you think it's okay to do that to people because they're smaller than you and had the courage to speak up?" She shouts, her words piercing the woman like a knife, who appears to be trembling in fear.

"I-I'm s-sorry, p-please, have the net back." She squeaks from beneath Isabel's slim form, too afraid to resist.

Satisfied with the response, Isabel rolls off of the woman and walks over to retrieve the net, once again placing it back where it was.

When she returns to the towels after checking on Andy, she lets out a long sigh.

"I can't believe her, what a bitch." She whispers, closing her eyes to get some rest.

"Yeah, you did the right thing, I wish I had a sister like you!" I say sincerely, which causes Isabel to burst into a fit of giggles.

"Thanks, anyway, I'm going to catch up on some sleep, could you watch Andy for me Dan?" She asks, looking over at me.

"Sure, I'll let you know if anything happens." I reply, reassuring her.

With that she closes her eyes and puts on her sunglasses, before slowly drifting into a peaceful sleep.

Isabel must be the nicest person I've ever met, because she cares so much about everyone around her and will always stand up for her friends and family.

Not knowing what else to do, I decide to just watch the volleyball game, noticing how Andy is getting along well with everyone after standing up to the woman.

He's the smallest person there but he doesn't seem phased by this, continuing to play well even with his disadvantage. All in all the day seems to be going fairly well.

With more time to think, I start to think about Jess who is at home and my mind eventually wanders back to Christy and how I plan on never seeing her again.

Five minutes later, as if on queue, the outstanding form of Christy appears just along the beach, her hand seems to be wrapped in a bandage.

What did she do to her hand?


***


Christy -


Last night I fell asleep on the floor of my shower with a cut hand.

When I woke up the next morning I bandaged it up, but it still hurts so much.

I blame Dan for everything; he's caused me nothing but pain and misery. So today, to get my mind off of him, I need to go to the beach.

I know I love Dan now, but I hate myself for it, because it's his fault that I'm miserable and I can't stop thinking about him no matter what I do.

Wearing my favourite bikini, I step out onto the beach, which is seemingly full of people today.

The weather is great and I feel that it will really help the whole forgetting process.

Laying down on my reserved spot next to my house, I place my hands behind my head, relaxing and allowing the sun rays to heat up my skin.

My hand is still sore from the cut, but it's healing pretty quickly.

Turning onto my side, I glance along the beach at hundreds of people playing in the sand, sunbathing and running around.

Just then I see the last person I expected to see, Dan.

My heart skips a beat when his face comes into view and I notice that he's with another girl.

The same feeling from yesterday returns, and I can feel my cheeks heating up, while my fists seem to clench by their own accord.

Standing up to my full height, I begin walking towards Dan and his 'girlfriend' while watching where I step.

My eyes however are focused on Dan, who is now looking at me with a mixture of expressions.

He's going to regret leaving me on my own.

____________________________
Chapter End Notes:
The last few chapters will be full of action and maybe a few twists. Thank you all for reading and reviewing. Hope you enjoyed this chapter :)