- Text Size +

“Wait, Ash!” I followed him to the car, taking a single step for each of his two. “Where are you going?”

 

“I’m leaving.” With a heave, he opened the driver’s side door of the little Smart Fortwo. It seemed so much smaller since my Ascension, as did everything else.

 

“I don’t understand.” I held the door open as he climbed into the car seat. Designed for males, steering wheel controls permitted both acceleration and braking.

 

He strapped himself in, then turned to me. “Shut the door, Luna.”

 

“Please, Ash. You’re angry. Tell me what’s wrong.”

 

He pressed two buttons on the steering wheel; the first opened the garage door, the second started the car’s engine. “Shut the door.”

 

“Please…” I collapsed onto my knees. The coolness of the concrete through my jeans complemented the chill of the wet streaks on my face. “Just tell me why.”

 

“You know why.”

 

“I don’t, Ash. I don’t —”

 

“You’ve changed, Luna. You’re not the same person I married. All you want is sex now. That’s all you care about. You don’t give a fuck about me anymore, and I’m starting to wonder if you ever did.”

 

He could have gouged my eyes, and it would have been less painful. His words tore through my lungs like serrated daggers, making it impossible to breathe. Yet, somehow I managed to speak. “But you promised...you’d never leave me.”

 

“Goodbye, Luna.”

 

***

 

I awoke, drenched in sweat, sucking air as if I’d surfaced from a dive that went too deep. In spite of the darkness, I recognized the room, my vastly improved vision making the most of the moonlight that filtered through the basement window.

 

Ash slept on the bed, his soft breathing audible to my enhanced hearing. 

 

It was a dream. Just a dream.

 

Adrenaline waned and relief flooded my system as I recalled what had happened. During my last growth spurt, the pleasure had been too much. Black spots appeared, the room spun, and then…

 

I must’ve fainted.

 

Even now, my body — so healthy, so absolutely perfect in every way — quivered with an excitement bordering upon arousal. Like an internal morphine drip, natural chemicals in my brain fought to erase the negative feelings created by the nightmare. It was a dream after all, and dreams weren’t real. Right?

 

A damp sheet covered me and a pillow, also moist with my sweat, lay on the floor. It must’ve frightened him when I fainted. How had he managed to lift my head over the pillow? Even though he couldn’t carry me to bed, he’d taken care of me to the best of his ability. I wanted him even more and, if not for the dream, I’d awaken him to let him know.

 

Instead, I crawled over and alighted my fingertips upon his hair. He was so small, yet his features were exquisitely visible, down to the pores in his face. His scent drifted up, heightening my longing and demanding that I cuddle with him as soon as possible.

 

Exactly what the dream warned against.

 

Confused and fearful, I rose to my feet. The ‘normal sized’ room appeared tiny. I’d lived my entire life as an unascended woman and had become accustomed to the enormous size of manmade things. Even though I’d grown, to me, the world had shrunk.

 

I stepped to the weight area and stooped to pick up a dumbbell. My hand was too wide for the grip, so I used two fingers. I would’ve guessed it weighed ten pounds — if not for the eight zero etched into the iron.

 

Ash would be proud, wouldn’t he? A weight that I’d never been able to move was now as light as a young cat.

 

After replacing it, I grabbed the corners of the rack and lifted. Though heavy and awkward, it rose a few inches into the air, at least six hundred pounds altogether. He would be so impressed!

 

Gently, I returned it to the floor, careful to avoid making a sound. A part of me wanted to awaken him, to show him my new body, to revel in his praise. But I recognized my ulterior motive — a desperate desire for more sex.

 

Cool down!

 

After grabbing the phone, I made my way toward the upstairs bathroom, amazed how easily and quickly I climbed the stairs. The vanity mirror held further surprises — no flaw in my face, no unwanted curve in my figure. Though entirely feminine, muscles appeared on demand when flexed, as if I’d been doing aerobics every day for my entire life. Lithe and toned, I’d become the perfect version of myself, the person I’d always wanted to be.

 

The shower door opened without resistance, and I didn’t need to use the booster step to reach the knobs. After twisting the one labeled C, I stepped in and closed the door.

 

Unfortunately, the cold water wasn’t the least bit uncomfortable. It failed to extinguish the stimulating warmth radiating from my core. Not a single goose bump rose up on my arms.

 

Instead of rubbing my hands on the soap, I lifted the entire bar and lathered my body. I gasped as unfamiliar muscles contracted under my touch. How could I be so sensitive to positive stimuli, yet so resistant to negative?

 

Determined to rid myself of this problem, I removed the shower head and did something else I’d never done in the shower before: I masturbated. 

 

The orgasm came quickly, partly due to the pulse setting, partly due to my own heightened arousal. However, like using a garden hose to put out a house fire, it did little to quench the flames of lust in my stomach.

 

I needed Regan’s help.

 

After toweling off and drying my long, thick hair, I dug through the dresser drawers for something to wear. In preparation for my Ascension, Regan had stocked them full of clothing, outfits from both herself and Addison. She always thought of everything; certainly she’d have a solution to my latest...problem.

 

To my surprise and relief, Addison’s undergarments fit better. I hadn’t grown as much as I’d thought. The idea of being large among Ascended women terrified me for some reason, perhaps because I’d always been so small. I still wanted to hold onto a piece of that feeling.

 

I selected a pink eyelet sundress, something Addison would never be caught dead wearing. Regan likely bought it as a gift or a joke. Either way, it suited me just fine. The way the fabric brushed against my skin…

 

Ugh, I had to get these thoughts out of my head.

 

I picked up the phone and selected Regan’s name. She answered after the second ring. “Ash, is something wrong?”

 

“It’s Luna.” I paused, unable to say what was on my mind.

 

“Luna, you’re voice sounds different. Did you Ascend?”

 

“Yes, but…”

 

“Hold on. I’ll be right over.”

 

She hung up, and I went to the front door. After disengaging the alarm, I opened the door just in time to see her jogging up the driveway in her nightgown. Though it was nearly midnight, she didn’t hesitate to come to my aid and Addison would have done the same. I couldn’t ask for better friends.

 

I descended the outdoor stairs and met her halfway. We embraced as a motion-sensing flood light illuminated our surroundings. Though still several inches taller than me and significantly more full-figured, she seemed so much smaller and less imposing. Yet, she was my best friend, and that hadn’t changed.

 

“Oh Luna, look at you.” She held me at arms length, then looked me up and down. “You’re all grown up, and you’re so beautiful. I — I’m going to cry.”

 

We managed to sit on the concrete steps before breaking down into tears, hugging each other as raw emotion poured out. Though we had different reasons for our feelings, I took comfort in her presence, in her unshakable support.

 

Finally, she spoke. “Baby, tell me what’s wrong.” She wiped the tears from my face and pulled back my hair. “How do you feel?”

 

I shook my head in silence.

 

“Oh, Luna. I know. It’s a lot to go through.”

 

“I’m a monster, Regan.”

 

“No, you’re not —”

 

“I am. I dreamt that Ash...left me because all I wanted was sex.”

 

“Baby, it’s just a dream.”

 

“But it’s true! All I can think about is sex. It’s the only thing on my mind.”

 

Regan rubbed my cheek with her thumb. “That’s normal, Luna.”

 

“Not for me! I’ve always enjoyed sex, but it never dominated my thoughts. He’s going to hate me.”

 

“He won’t —”

 

Yes he will. I know him. He’s going to divorce —”

 

“Now hold on a second and let me speak.” Regan used a tone of militant compassion. “First of all, he won’t hate you. Ever. That man loves you more than you can imagine.

 

“Secondly, all Ascended women have these feelings. It comes with Ascension, and it is normal.”

 

“It’s normal to feel aroused all the time?”

 

“Yes. It starts around the age of twenty, give or take a year. Why do you think male abduction is so rampant? It’s not just because of the shortage of men. It’s because women can’t resist their urges. That’s why we never let him out of our site when we’re in public. I explained this to you and Ash earlier, but until you’ve experienced it, you don’t understand. Now you do.”

 

“But it’s so strong.”

 

“Some days are worse than others. Eventually, you get used to it, and it isn’t so bad. For example, just being around Ash gives me energy; I’ve learned how to control and channel my arousal.”

 

“I never knew Ash made you feel that way.”

 

“It’s not just him; it’s all males. Although...his physical attractiveness multiples the effect. Never tell him I said that, by the way.”

 

“Oh...ok.” She’d lived with this for the last four years? How? I could barely go four minutes.

 

“Don’t worry. I’m not going to steal him from you.”

 

“I’m not worried about that. But...is this why women touch him so often?”

 

“Yes. They can’t help it. It’s instinctual, and most don’t even know they’re doing it.”

 

“I felt it too. It’s like I didn’t want to let him out of my arms. What about Addison? Surely —”

 

“My wife has incredible self control. She’s never needed a Healer. But even she would prefer to carry Ash, rather than let him walk unaided. Again, keep this between us.”

 

In a sense, he already knew this information. Everyone attended sex education classes in college, however most of it was geared toward the female anatomy and lesbian intercourse. The intensity of Ascended desire for men couldn’t be articulated in any meaningful way. It was probably like a heroin addict trying to describe the craving to a nonuser.

 

“Is that why you go to a Healer each month?”

 

“Absolutely, even though it costs half my paycheck. If I didn’t, I’d go crazy.”

 

I smiled a little at the thought.

 

“It’s not funny.” She chuckled. “You’re lucky you have him. Even if you only have sex once a day, that’s still thirty times more than what I get. Addison’s phenomenal in bed, but she’s not a Healer.”

 

“Do you think he’d do it that much? Once a day?”

 

“Are you nuts? He doesn’t have your libido but he’s not a monk, as if any of those still existed. Wait...are you saying you haven’t been having sex much?”

 

I shrugged, averting my eyes.

 

“Luna, don’t get shy on me now. How many times a week? Just hold up your fingers if you don’t want to say it.”

 

My smile broadened. She was being ridiculous and she knew it. Nevertheless, I held out three fingers. “Some nights, when I get home from work, I’m tired.”

 

“Well, that’s not bad. But remember, you’re never going to be tired again. Ever. Not when you’re married to a Healer. Sleep will be entirely optional.”

 

“He’s not a Healer; he’s my husband.”

 

“You know what I mean. He’s got the same equipment.”

 

“What if he’s too tired?”

 

“Unless he’s sick, he’ll never be too tired. Besides, there are things you can do — ”

 

“I’m not going to rape him.”

 

Men responded to the bodily fluids of Ascended women. To a male, Ascended saliva served as a hypnotic aphrodisiac that always resulted in copulation. An open mouth kiss was essentially rape, and could be prosecuted as such. Even sweat had a minor effect, one that Ash had complained about after the hiking trip last week.

 

“It’s not rape if you’re married.”

 

“I refuse to force anything on him.”

 

“What if he kisses you?”

 

“That...that would be ok.”

 

“You’re hopeless. Just talk to him. Explain that you’d like to have sex once a night if possible and I really don’t think he’d have a problem with it.”

 

“What about his penis?” I’d already dug myself this deep into the conversation, I might as well go all the way. Somehow, the discussion didn’t embarrass me as much as it should have. It was as if we were talking about some core survival skill, rather than intimate bedroom secrets.

 

“What about it?” Her eyebrows squished together.

 

“He won’t fit inside me anymore.”

 

“I don’t understand.” Her look of perplexity deepened. “Of course he’ll fit.”

 

“I mean...he won’t fill me anymore.”

 

As she smiled, I frowned. “You’re not taking me seriously.”

 

“I am. I am.” She lifted my chin. “Listen, I’ve never known what it’s like to be filled with a live male penis. But it doesn’t matter. Trust me.”

 

“Doesn’t matter for him or for me?”

 

“Both of you. Neither of you.” She forcefully expelled air, then took a deep breath. “I’m just going to say it. The fluids involved with sex are like contact poison, but in a good way. As long as you’re...aroused, he won’t last two minutes inside you. And when he finishes, that’s when you’ll feel it — the most incredible orgasm of your life. It’s like the peak of Ascension all over again.”

 

“Really?” It sounded too good to be true.

 

“Yes, really. And for you, the twenty hours following sex will be bliss. Your injuries, if you have any, will heal rapidly. Excess fat will burn and muscles will tone, returning your body to a state of pristine health. And best of all, the post-orgasmic afterglow will last for an entire day. It’s the primary reason Healers are in such high demand.”

 

“Wow.” Even though I hadn’t had sex since fully Ascending, I must still be experiencing some of the afterglow Regan had mentioned. And I could feel this way, or better, every day? Too good to be true.

 

Apparently, my face betrayed my thoughts.

 

“Wow is right.” Regan smirked. “You’re a very lucky woman, Luna. Honestly, I’m jealous. You won the lottery with Ash. But it couldn’t have happened to a better person. And he’s just as lucky to have you as his wife.”

 

I hugged her with all my strength. It wasn’t fair that I’d been given so much. She, Addison, and most of the world would never experience the happiness a heterosexual relationship could bring. Did I really deserve it? Did I deserve Ash?

 

She pulled away and looked at me with those dark brown eyes. “You’re his Guardian now, Luna. Addison and I will help of course, but he’s primarily your responsibility. Do you understand?”

 

“I think so. He’s happy that we’ll be able to go places together now.”

 

“Like Baskin-Robbins?” Regan wore a knowing smile.

 

I averted my eyes, then nodded.

 

“It’s ok. We’re not going to stop you.”

 

“You’re not?” I turned back to her, disbelieving my ears.

 

“Nope. But remember your role as his Guardian is to protect him from all harm, even if that means protecting him from himself.”

 

“But, it’s just ice cream.”

 

“Luna, men don’t heal the same way as women. They don’t revert back to perfect health without diet and exercise. I’ll let you do the reading on high fructose sugars and come to your own conclusions. You’re significantly smarter than him now, and —”

 

“I’m not smarter than him.”

 

“Oh, Luna.” She caressed the side of my face. “What did you wear on this day, five years ago?”

 

“A crew neck tee, skinny jeans, flat shoes, and a fleece jacket. Wait. How did I know that?”

 

“A much larger portion of your mind is available to you now. You’ll learn things easier. You’ll memorize without forgetting. Concepts will make immediate sense. Some women are more gifted than others, but we knew you’d be smart. Induction heightens Ascension’s effect on intelligence. Simply study and apply yourself. All of the great geniuses of our time were induced.”

 

“I don’t want to be a genius!”

 

“I’m afraid it’s too late for that.”

 

“It’s not! I refuse to study. I refuse to learn more than I already know. He doesn’t want me to be too smart, and I don’t want it either.”

 

“Ok. Ok.” Regan sighed. “Just please read the book about Guardianship, at least the chapters male nutrition. I placed it on the coffee table. Not all of the recipes in there taste bad, I promise.”

 

I hesitated before speaking again. “I’ll read that one book, but we’re still going to Baskin-Robbins. I won’t change my mind, and you can’t stop us.”

 

“I know, baby.” Her fingers combed my hair behind my ear. “I know.”

 

Though her words were condescending, her eyes held only love for me. She wanted the best for us.

 

Upon awakening as a fully Ascended woman, my instinct had been to cuddle with Ash. At the time, I’d dismissed the idea as lust. However, it had also derived from a primal desire to protect. In a way, everything had shrunk, but he’d become especially small. It was my duty to protect him.

 

And with that goal in mind, one book wouldn’t hurt.