- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

Jake awaits his fate as he wakes up from the turmoil of his encounter with Kevin This chapter is written from Jake's point of view.

Had I really just fallen asleep again? Or was I so weak and tired from my earlier encounter that I had passed out?

Either way, I found myself disoriented and on top of Kelly's giant wood dresser. I stumbled clumsily to my feet and gazed around. Man, it had gotten late. Kelly's room was now blanketed in a light dusk, and I was alone. I took a few steps and was quickly reminded of the pain I had gone through. My entire left side was sore -- not in excrutiating pain but just sore, and tender, as if I had been in a rough football game.

I sighed and laid back down, painfully reminded of how pathetic I had become and how I had nearly become putty in Kevin's hands, literally. I could hear faint noises from other areas of the house. Kevin didn't appear to be around anymore, but then again, he had stayed for a good few hours. The two of them had taken off towards the lower level of the house and we all agreed it would be safer to keep me secured. It was somewhere around that time that my memory escapes me.

I'm startled by a slight vibration of my phone. I fish it out of my pocket as if I have any clue what's going on. The phone is signaling a low battery. It would only be a matter of time before the phone was completely burned out. What baffled me isn't that I was getting a text but that I had sent quite a few myself. As my coherence slowly began to return, I remembered in slight horror what I had done in the moments between my encounter with Kevin and my impromptu nap. Kendra's messages had littered my inbox.

I let out a great sigh. I can't believe what I had done. I had pretty much told her everything. The weird thing is, she seemed all too eager to believe me... in fact, it was almost as if she was glad this had happened. Sure, she questioned it but beyond that, she seemed to be quite invested in the fact that I had become so small.

I took a mental note of her phone number before sliding my phone shut. I was too exhausted (not to mention confused) to message her back now, but I had to give her number to Kelly or somebody else because it would surely be lost once my phone went out. For whatever reason, I wasn't feeling so confident in my short term memory right now. My regular memory was okay, for the most part. I could still remember my home, my sister, and yes, Kendra ; along with some of my other friends. But even details about the past day were blurry. I could remember the brief time I spent at Kelly's friends' house but I even had trouble remembering the girls' name? Jennifer? Veronica? Damn.

Suddenly the door cracked open. It was a subtle noise but it signaled the return of my giant friend. I was suddenly filled with happiness and a sense of relief to see her again, but she passed by me in a hurry. I looked up at her with a puzzled look on my face. I felt like a little puppy trying to greet its master, but to no avail.

"K-Kelly?" I asked, somewhat excitedly. I gazed up at her massive form and she looked back down at me, but she wasn't really attentive. She had bypassed my location to reach for something on the floor and her face passively looked at me while she reached her arm down under her bed.

"Jake..." she said, her voice somewhat distant sounding. "Hey, I'll be right back, ok?"

I nodded and then watched in slight dissapointment as she got up without saying another word. Was it weird that I wanted her to touch me? I wanted her to pick me up, or at least aknowledge me in some way other than just noticing me. Of course, I wasn't completely naive. I knew it was only a matter of time before her and Kevin rekindled what they had, despite his shady past and weird connection with pharmaceuticals.

Shortly after she left, Kendra texted me again.

"Are you sure you don't want to talk? If you're serious, we really should see each other... or something"

I sighed and looked down at my phone, and then past it, to the wood grain of Kelly's massive dresser. Understandably, every text from my ex-girlfriend brought back a slew of memories involving her. A petite girl with a small frame and short stature, Kendra always had a certain unrealized beauty to her. She was cute, and always like to doll herself up with makeup but I actually found her most attractive when she didn't try so hard.

She wanted to be a model, and she went through a couple brief stretches where she got some work. She could definitely pull it off, but I would occasionally get jealous of her friends, particular some of the guys who she had taking her photos. She insisted they were gay, but I don't know... and depending on who you asked, she was more than a little friendly with all of them.

She was generally a good girl though and despite some of my reservations about her, I had always really hoped things could work out. It just became one of those things where we'd have the occasional fight which would turn into more... I'd get so tired of arguing and being jealous that I'd shut down and then she'd accuse me of neglecting her, which I guess was somewhat true. I just hated being so into her at times, only to have her flaunt herself around to get attention. She says that's all it was but did it really make a difference? Even the supposed innocence of her flirting bothered me. How could she claim to care so much about me but saw no problem with going on dates during our brief breaks or hitting on some of her male model friends. Sure, it was always "platonic" she said but how do I know that?

More importantly, why was I spending so much time thinking about this during a dire situation? Like it or not, Kendra might be my lone key to sanity or maybe a way out of this. I was hesitant about telling my family and even if I did go that route, Kendra was very familiar with my sister and could act as a bridge between us. Kelly was awesome and all, but I feared that if she got in touch with my family, with me miniaturized, people may get the wrong idea. As it was, I had kept fairly silent on Kelly's existence to Kendra. I only told her that I was safe but I didn't tell her who I was with.


I sighed and laid my phone down on the dresser without fully finishing a text. I hung my head and almost nodded off again before Kelly returned to the room.

"Hey" she said, giving me an uneasy look as she drew closer. I looked up curiously.

"Hey" I said, not really sure what else to say at the time.

"So.. I'm sorry... about everything" Kelly sighed, and once again knelt down so she was high level with me up on her dresser. "I um... I had no idea, all that stuff with Kevin and the pepper spray..."

"Yeah, that was weird, I must admit..." I replied.

"Yeah, and the thing is, that's not how I shrunk and I don't think that's how you shrunk either... I asked Kevin about maybe trying the chemical on you, maybe it would have a different effect? But he said it's too dangerous..." Kelly explained, "there could be some good news though"

"Oh?" I asked.

"Well, the thing is, the chemical is unstable... at least the pepper spray agent was... and while we're not sure what shrunk you, Kevin said there's a chance that the chemical could just wear off" Kelly said, "the molecular hold on your body could dissipate and you may return to normal size over time"

I looked up at her confused. It seemed almost too easy.

"Of course..." she frowned, "He said there's only a 10% chance of that..."

I frowned.

"I'm so sorry, Jake..." Kelly whimpered, "I'm sorry about everything, and I..."

I was going to cut her off to beg her to stop apologizing but I was suddenly drawing a blank myself. Kelly quickly shifted gears in terms of conversation.

"Kevin and I... were talking..." Kelly sighed, sitting down on her bed and looking me over to make sure I was okay.

"yeah?" I asked curiously.

"Um... hoo boy" Kelly said, taking a deep nervous breath. "Please don't hate me, Jake"

"I can't hate you, Kelly... what is it?" I asked anxiously.

"We both agree... and it took me a while but I do agree..." kelly sighed, "I can't keep you... not like this, not now... it's not fair to you..."

I nodded and tried holding back my emotion.

"I hope you understand" Kelly sighed, a sad look crossing her face, as if all the energy had been sucked out of her. I didn't want to be the reason for that, and I guess that was all the more reason why I said what I said next.

"I understand" I sighed, "and actually... there's somebody I'd like you to call, when things get more settled down around here..."

"Oh?" she asked, seeming somewhat surprised.

"Would you be able to take down this number?" I asked, opening my phone really quick. No new message from Kendra this time, but I was able to pull up her number from one of her recent messages.

"Of course, hold on" Kelly replied, resorting to her own phone and preparing to type, "Ok, go"

"Okay..." I sighed, taking a deep breath, "203-892-3469"

"Okay" Kelly said and then paused after typing out the number, looking at me again, "Who... who's number is this?"

"Um... my ... girlfriend, my ex-girlfriend" I sighed embarassed.

"Are you sure about this?" Kelly asked. In some ways I feel like I had no choice. I didn't want to be a burden on Kelly or Kevin's life anymore and plus she had asked for this in some ways. I nodded nervously.

"I already explain the situation... well sort of... she seems to be at least... supportive" I sighed, a small tear forming in my eye. I was going to miss Kelly so much, no matter what ended up happening. Kelly nodded as she looked down at me with a worried expression on her face. I paused, "um... Kelly? I have one more number to give you"

"Okay" Kelly nodded, and signaled her readyness.

"203-715-7255" I said, with a half smile, not even needing my phone to read her the number.

"Okay..." Kelly said, half smiling as she looked down at me. I think she was just happy to see me happy, even though it was a bittersweet happiness for me. I was so thrilled to know this once "little lady" would have her life back. Even through all the doubt that I had faced, I was relieved to know Lillian... er, Kelly was in good hands. I just hoped the next hands I'd be in would be as kind. "Should I even ask who's...?"

"It's my number" I smiled, "I... I don't want to lose touch with you, Kelly..."

Kelly sighed, reaching her hand down towards me. Her sweet touch briefly graced me.

"You won't" Kelly smiled, "No matter what happens, I will be here for you too...and I will always remember what you did for me..."

"I'll definitely always remember you" I replied.

"I'm sure..." Kelly pouted, "I'm the girl who ruined your life"

I gasped, "What? No.. Kel..."

"It's true..." Kelly sighed, now turning away from me but still staying on her bed. Her voice was reduced to a near mumble but I could still make out the words as she groaned, "...I ruined your life, Jake... I took your freedom and everything from you... I'm a ... monster..."

"Please stop!" I exclaimed, finding it very hard to resist her depressing cycle of thoughts as I was in a funk myself. It was bad enough I would soon be losing Kelly. I didn't want her to think so badly of herself or of me.

"It's true though..." Kelly sobbed, "If you hadn't found me, none of this would've happened...you'd be safe in your room right now instead of all banged up on my dresser like you are now"

"I'd also be bored out of my mind and alone" I replied, "I've loved our time together, honestly and truly... what happened happened and we have to go from here..."

Kelly nodded.

"I've loved our time together too" Kelly said, her voice breaking up.

I feared her words as she was referring to us in the past tense. How much longer would I know this wonderful woman? Would my memory fail me in the not too distant future? Would I fare any better with Kendra? These were all questions I tried to keep out of my head as I tried to focus on the here and now, and Kelly's marvelous face.

"Jake..." she asked in a hushed tone, "Are you really sure about this? Do you want me to call Kendra?"

I nodded solemnly.

"But not now, please" I said, "it's kind of late and... I know we've both had a long day"

"I know" Kelly nodded, "I um... really appreciate everything you've done Jake... I just want to make sure you're okay with this... I'll take you anywhere you want... anywhere... if this is what you want... then I'll do it for you"

I nodded slowly.

"This is what I want" I said

"Ok" she said, trying to force a smile but her tears were all too obvious, she used her shirt sleeve to remove a few of them from her face, her eyes shiny from crying as she looked down at me on her dresser, still dinged up from my encounter with her boyfriend.

"So..." I said, after moments of silence, "Have you had a good time with Kevin?"

"C-can we not talk about this?" Kelly said, her face almost instantly turning flush red.I decided to drop the topic. "Sorry... it's just..."

"No, I understand, that was rude of me" I said. Part of me still resented being kicked around by him, even if it was supposedly because he thought I was an assailant. That was a load of crap though because I was only 5 inches tall! What was I going to do to her? Or anybody? The whole thought of it depressed me.

"So in the morning...?" Kelly sighed, looking down at me again, "I'll call her, okay?"

"Okay" I muttered, knowing that there was really no rush. I had the rest of my life to be without my giant beauty, Kelly. But I only had this one night to enjoy her company one last time and that's what I had wanted to do, above all else.
Chapter End Notes:

Sorry I haven't been able to update as often as I'd like but I still plan to be heavily involved in this story in the weeks to come! I hope you've enjoyed it to this point and I look forward to hearing your thoughts and comments regarding the story so far. 

Things are going to get very interesting very soon, so thanks again for your patience and for continuing to read this story.